16 April 2018 Military News
- OIF / OND / OEF / OIR / OFS Casualty Update 16 Apr 2018 [PDF]
- U.S. Mission In Syria 'Has Not Changed,' Troops To Return RFE/RL 16 Apr 2018 -- The White House says the U.S. mission in Syria has not changed, reiterating that President Donald Trump wants American troops home "as quickly as possible."
- Trump Dismisses Russia Claims Syria Successfully Shot Down US Missiles VOA 16 Apr 2018 -- U.S. President Donald Trump and Pentagon officials are dismissing Russian claims that Syrian air defense systems took out most of the cruise missiles aimed at three of the country's critical chemical weapons sites.
- US Establishes New Military Base in Syria's Oil-Rich Deir ez-Zor - Reports Sputnik 16 Apr 2018 -- Despite President Donald Trump's earlier promise to leave Syria in the immediate future, the United States has set up a military facility in Eastern Deir ez-Zor, Fars news agency reported, citing the Arabic-language Orient news website.
- Taliban Rejects Ghani's Call for Political Reconciliation VOA 16 Apr 2018 -- The Taliban has ruled out political reconciliation with the Afghan government and urged war-weary voters to boycott upcoming parliamentary elections in the country, alleging the "fake" exercise is being staged at the behest of U.S.-led "foreign occupation" forces.
- Taliban Turns Down Afghan President's Offer to Take Part in Elections – Reports Sputnik 16 Apr 2018 -- The Taliban radical movement has rejected the offer of Afghan President Ashraf Ghani to participate in Afghanistan's parliamentary and local elections, TOLO broadcaster reported.
- About 10,000 Militants Deployed in Afghanistan - Russian Commander Sputnik 16 Apr 2018 -- About 10,000 militants, most of whom are Daesh members are currently in Afghanistan, commander of Russian Central Military District troops Lt. Gen. Alexander Lapin said at a meeting with students and employees of the Ural Mining and Metallurgical Company (UMMC) on Monday.
- DoD, DHS Outline National Guard Role in Securing Border AFPS 16 Apr 2018 -- National Guard troops are deploying to the U.S. border with Mexico to work in support functions for the Department of Homeland Security, including in aviation, operational and infrastructure missions, officials from the departments of Defense and Homeland Security told reporters here today.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Navy, Marine Units Participate in Eager Lion Exercise AFPS 16 Apr 2018 -- The amphibious assault ship USS Iwo Jima, the dock landing ship USS Oak Hill and components of the 26th Marine Expeditionary Unit begin participation in the military exercise Eager Lion 2018 this week.
- Idaho Army National Guard completes first major M1A2 Abrams training since 2004 Army News 16 Apr 2018 -- The 116th Cavalry Brigade Combat Team's 2-116th Combined Arms Battalion (AR) completed gunnery training March 16 to 23 at the Orchard Combat Training Center. The training marked the first time the unit completed platoon-level training requirements for the M1A2 Abrams main battle tank since 2004.
- USNS Mercy Arrives in Malaysia for Pacific Partnership NNS 16 Apr 2018 -- U.S. and partner nation personnel participating in Pacific Partnership 2018 aboard the U.S. Navy hospital ship USNS Mercy (T-AH 19), arrived in Port Kelang, Malaysia, April 16.
- ESG-3 Hosts 'Ship-to-Shore' Power Training NNS 16 Apr 2018 -- Expeditionary Strike Group (ESG) 3, alongside Afloat Training Group (ATG) San Diego, the San Diego Engineering Readiness Assistance Team (ERAT) and Naval Facilities Engineering Command (NAVFAC) hosted ship-to-shore power training, April 13.
- The Gunslinger Never Left NNS 16 Apr 2018 -- An F/A-18E Super Hornet lets out a burst of exhaust, rippling and shimmering like the hot Middle Eastern air it once flew through. But when it lands, the jet, belonging to the Gunslingers of Strike Fighter Squadron (VFA) 105, touches down not on their "home air field" - USS Dwight D. Eisenhower (CVN 69), currently undergoing maintenance at a nearby shipyard - but at Naval Air Station Oceana.
- Pacific Partnership 2018 Concludes in Palau, Heads to Malaysia NNS 16 Apr 2018 -- Pacific Partnership 2018, the largest annual multilateral humanitarian assistance and disaster relief (HA/DR) preparedness mission, concluded aboard expeditionary fast transport ship USNS Brunswick (T-EPF 6) in the Republic of Palau, April 14.
- Secretary General in Ankara: NATO stands with you in solidarity NATO 16 Apr 2018 -- NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg thanked Turkey for its essential contributions to the Alliance during a visit to Ankara on Monday (16 April 2018). The Secretary General is meeting with President Recep Tayyip Erdogan to prepare for the Brussels Summit in July and to discuss current security challenges.
- Norway to Host Largest NATO War Games in Years Sputnik 16 Apr 2018 -- The Trident Juncture NATO drill, of the highest caliber ever held in Norway, is expected to leave a mark on the nation's everyday life. In the course of four months, over a hundred Norwegian municipalities will experience a marked increase in traffic and noise, spurring the authorities into taking unparalleled preparatory action.
- UK reaffirms African military commitments after five-nation visit UK MOD 16 Apr 2018 -- UK troops will continue to stand at the forefront of the fight to bring prosperity and security to Africa, the Minister for Armed Forces has confirmed.
- Britain's Theresa May Says Airstrikes on Syria in British National Interest VOA 16 Apr 2018 -- British Prime Minister Theresa May invoked the recent poisoning of former Russian spy Sergei Skripal and his daughter in defending her decision to order British warplanes to take part in U.S.-led strikes against Syria without first seeking parliamentary approval.
- President lauds U.S. license approval for Taiwan submarine plan CNA 16 Apr 2018 -- President Tsai Ing-wen (蔡英文) said Monday that U.S. government approval for granting marketing licenses for American firms to sell Taiwan the technology it needs to build its own submarines will not only help Taiwan defend itself but will also help maintain peace and prosperity across the Taiwan Strait.
- PLA exercise a form of psychological warfare: security expert CNA 16 Apr 2018 -- The live-fire military exercise to be held by the People's Liberation Army (PLA) in the Taiwan Strait on Wednesday is just a form of psychological warfare employed by China to put pressure on Taiwan, an expert said Monday.
- Defense ministry downplays Chinese military exercise CNA 16 Apr 2018 -- A Chinese military exercise scheduled to take place in the Taiwan Strait Wednesday is just a routine drill of no major impact, and Taiwan's military has not upgraded its combat readiness, defense and security officials said Monday.
- Work underway to enhance capabilities of China's aircraft carrier Liaoning People's Daily 16 Apr 2018 -- China's first aircraft carrier, the Liaoning, was commissioned into the People's Liberation Army Navy in 2012 and work has since been ongoing to enhance its combat capabilities.
- New military rules stress Xi thought People's Daily 16 Apr 2018 -- China has issued a set of revised regulations on the fundamental rules governing the People's Liberation Army (PLA), which stress Xi Jinping thought on strengthening the armed forces.
- Sea parade showcases growing naval prowess People's Daily 16 Apr 2018 -- The naval hardware seen in Thursday's sea parade represented the achievements made by the People's Liberation Army Navy in its modernization drive, military observers said.
- Chinese Army Receives Nuclear-Capable Ballistic Missile - Reports Sputnik 16 Apr 2018 -- China is actively pursuing the development of its strategic missile forces in line with Beijing's stated goal of transforming the country's military into a world-class fighting force by 2050.
- Pakistan Launches Domestically Made Land-Attack Cruise Missile Sputnik 16 Apr 2018 -- The ground-launched version of Pakistan's family of Babur cruise missiles has carried out a successful test, according to a recent announcement by Pakistan's Inter-Services Public Relations (ISPR).
- Press Gaggle by Press Secretary Sarah Sanders The White House 16 Apr 2018
- 16 April 2018 - Daily Press Briefing by the Office of the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General United Nations 16 Apr 2018
- Fresh Saudi aerial aggression kills at least 6 people across Yemen Press TV 16 Apr 2018 -- At least six civilians have been killed and several others wounded when Saudi warplanes conducted multiple airstrikes against residential areas across war-ravaged Yemen as Saudi Arabia continues with its atrocious bombardment campaign against its impoverished neighbor.
- Syrian air defenses repel missile attacks on airbases in Damascus, Homs Press TV 16 Apr 2018 -- Syrian air defenses have shot down missile attacks on the Shayrat airbase in the central province of Homs and the Dumair military airport in Damascus.
- Global Watchdog to Access Alleged Chemical Attack Site in Syria VOA 16 Apr 2018 -- Defense Ministry official Igor Kirillov told reporters in The Hague that the Russian military would help secure the visit of nine experts from the Organization for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons (OPCW).
- Russia Says It Will Not Interfere With Syria Chemical Weapons Probe VOA 16 Apr 2018 -- Russia said Monday it will not interfere with the work of a fact-finding mission investigating an alleged chemical attack last week near Syria's capital.
- US does not support peace in Syria: Larijani ISNA 16 Apr 2018 -- Iranian Parliament Speaker said where ever US has foreign military interventions, is the birth place of terror movements.
- Missile attacks on Syria in breach of international law, China says Press TV 16 Apr 2018 -- China has strongly condemned the latest missile strikes by the United States along with its allies Britain and France on crisis-hit on Syria, stating the military aggression violates the basic principles and norms of international law.
- Russia: Chemical weapons inspection delayed due to West's airstrikes Press TV 16 Apr 2018 -- Russia says a visit by inspectors from the United Nations chemical watchdog to the site of an alleged gas attack in Syria's Douma has been delayed due to recent Western airstrikes on the Arab country.
- OPCW holds emergency talks on Syria alleged chemical attack Press TV 16 Apr 2018 -- The United Nations chemical watchdog has started emergency talks on the alleged chemical attack in Syria's Douma, diplomatic sources say.
- Assad's aide: Syrian defenses smarter than US missiles Press TV 16 Apr 2018 -- The political adviser to Syrian President Bashar al-Assad has praised Syria's air defenses for intercepting most of the missiles fired by the US and its allies at the Arab country on Saturday.
- Chemical-Weapons Inspectors Kept From Syria's Douma RFE/RL 16 Apr 2018 -- Chemical-weapons inspectors have not yet been granted access to the site of a suspected gas attack in the Syrian town of Douma, the head of the global chemical-weapons watchdog said.
- Footage of Douma Attack Staged, so-Called Evidence is 'Fake' - Moscow Sputnik 16 Apr 2018 -- Syrian opposition media and activists have circulated reports about the alleged attack in the suburban city of Douma, along with videos allegedly showing deceased victims. Western states have used those videos as proof of Damascus' involvement in the alleged chemical attack in order to launch strikes against Syria.
- Pantsir-S1 Repelling US Strikes on Syria Showed 100% Effectiveness - Russian MoD Sputnik 16 Apr 2018 -- Earlier, the Russian Defense Ministry had said that Syrian air defenses intercepted 71 of more than 100 missiles that the United States, the United Kingdom, France launched on Friday in response to the alleged chemical attack in Syria's Douma.
- US, UK, France Missile Attack on Syria Won't Be Left Unanswered - Lavrov Sputnik 16 Apr 2018 -- Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov said Monday that all proofs of the alleged chemical attack in Douma, provided by some Western leaders, were taken from media and social networks.
- Russia Sends Warship Allegedly Carrying Military Hardware to Syria - Reports Sputnik 16 Apr 2018 -- With the crisis in Syria heating up, Russia has stepped up military and humanitarian supplies to the war-torn Arab country.
- Clashes Break Out Between Syrian Government Troops, Militants in Douma Sputnik 16 Apr 2018 -- Clashes are underway between units of the Syrian Republican Guard and militants in the Syrian town of Duma in Eastern Ghouta, there are casualties, a RIA Novosti correspondent reported on Monday from the scene.
- New US Strikes in Syria Will Provoke a Tougher Response - Moscow Sputnik 16 Apr 2018 -- Russian Deputy Foreign Minister Sergei Ryabkov has refuted claims of the UK delegation to the OPCW that Russia and Syria denied access to the organization's mission to Syria's Douma.
- Iraqi security forces kill 22 Daesh remnants in Nineveh offensive Press TV 16 Apr 2018 -- Iraqi security forces have killed nearly two dozen members of the Takfiri Daesh terrorist group during a clean-up operation in the country's northern province of Nineveh as government troops and allied fighters from Popular Mobilization Units are engaged in offensives to purge the entire war-ravaged country of the extremists.
- UN officials urge action to prevent sexual violence in conflict; Rohingya lawyer says 'Security Council failed us' UN News 16 Apr 2018 -- The United Nations Security Council has failed to prevent the Rohingya refugee crisis, and the 15-member body must refer sexual violence and other crimes against the ethnic group to the world's top criminal court, a Rohingya lawyer said on Monday.
- UN Condemns Killing of Peacekeeper in Mali VOA 16 Apr 2018 -- The United Nations Security Council has condemned in "the strongest terms" a deadly extremist attack Saturday on a U.N. military camp in northern Mali.
- Fired FBI Director Comey and President Trump Trade Insults VOA 16 Apr 2018 -- Former U.S. Federal Bureau of Investigation Director James Comey says President Donald Trump is "morally unfit" to be president and there is "some evidence" Trump obstructed justice.
- Trump Lawyer Cohen Also Represented Controversial Talk Show Host Sean Hannity VOA 16 Apr 2018 -- Michael Cohen, President Trump's longtime lawyer who is under criminal investigation for his business dealings, counts conservative talk show host and unabashed Trump supporter Sean Hannity as one of his three legal clients.
- Moscow says US sanctions against Russia amount to 'asset grab' Press TV 16 Apr 2018 -- Moscow says it regards "illegal" US sanctions against Russia as a form of unfair competition and that any due response by the Kremlin would be in line with Russia's interests.
- Russian Duma To Consider Retaliatory Sanctions Against U.S. RFE/RL 16 Apr 2018 -- Russia's lower parliament house has scheduled the first reading of a bill on retaliatory sanctions against the United States for May 15, meaning the first of three State Duma votes on the legislation could be held that day.
- Trump Orders Postponing Introduction of New Anti-Russian Sanctions - Reports Sputnik 16 Apr 2018 -- On Monday, White House spokesperson Sarah Huckabee Sanders said Washington is considering new anti-Russia sanctions in response to the alleged chemical weapons attack in the Syrian town of Douma, but added that no decision had been made.
- Russia Blocks Popular Telegram Messaging App VOA 16 Apr 2018 -- Russia began implementing a ban on popular instant messaging service Telegram after the app refused to provide encrypted messages to Russia's security services.
- Russian Regulator Orders Internet Providers To Block Telegram App RFE/RL 16 Apr 2018 -- State communications regulator Roskomnadzor has begun blocking access to Telegram, seeking to bar Russians from using the popular app whose self-exiled CEO has defied demands to let the Federal Security Service (FSB) read users' messages.
- Russia-Backed Hackers Accused Of Global Cyberattacks RFE/RL 16 Apr 2018 -- Russian state-sponsored hackers are seeking to hijack critical network infrastructure devices, U.S. and British intelligence agencies say.
- US, Britain Issue Rare Joint Warning on Russian Hackers VOA 16 Apr 2018 -- The United States and Britain issued a rare and ominous alert Monday charging Russia of ramping up cyber attacks on American and British companies, government operations and infrastructure.
- Kim Jong-un meets Chinese official People's Daily 16 Apr 2018 -- North Korean leader Kim Jong-un's meeting with a senior Chinese official carried forward traditional bilateral ties to a new phase and showcased China's effort to promote possible summits between North Korea, South Korea and the US, Chinese analysts said on Sunday.
- US Strike on Syria Sends Mixed Messages to North Korea VOA 16 Apr 2018 -- The recent U.S. missile strikes against Syria could increase pressure on North Korea to give up its nuclear weapons, or reinforce in Pyongyang the need for nuclear deterrence.
- Iran slams Arab League summit's final statement ISNA 16 Apr 2018 -- Iran's Foreign Ministry spokesman has blasted the final statement of the Arab League summit, rejecting the allegations made against the Islamic Republic in some parts of it.
- EU foreign ministers fail to agree on new sanctions against Iran Press TV 16 Apr 2018 -- The European Union foreign ministers have failed to agree new sanctions against Iran as London, Paris and Berlin seek to appease US President Donald Trump, who has threatened to pull out of the landmark Iran nuclear deal.
- Keeping Iran nuclear deal in place vital for EU: Mogherini Press TV 16 Apr 2018 -- The European Union has reiterated its strong and unequivocal commitment to the full implementation of the 2015 nuclear agreement with Iran by all sides, saying preserving the deal is vital.
- EU Stops Short Of Imposing Additional Sanctions On Iran RFE/RL 16 Apr 2018 -- Meeting in Luxembourg, EU foreign ministers strongly defended the 2015 nuclear deal between Tehran and world powers and declined to impose new sanctions against Iran over its role in the Syrian conflict.
- Iran to Team Up With China on Nuke Development if Trump Kills 2015 Nuclear Deal Sputnik 16 Apr 2018 -- As US President Donald Trump decides whether to reauthorize the 2015 Iran nuclear deal, which he has long wanted to exit or renegotiate, Iranian authorities have announced they will be getting help with their nuclear program from China.
- Ex-Spy Sergei Skripal Recovering, Not in Critical Condition - Hospital Sputnik 16 Apr 2018 -- In March, Skripal and his daughter Yulia were found unconscious on a bench at a shopping center in the UK city of Salisbury. About a month later, the hospital announced that the ex-spy was no longer in a critical condition.
- China Launches Website Encouraging Users to Report Foreign Spies Sputnik 16 Apr 2018 -- Having amplified its clampdown on foreign espionage, China has set up a new website in English and Mandarin in order to expose those who jeopardize national security or try to "overthrow the socialist system."
- Pakistan's Leading Watchdog Slams Country Over Poor Rights Record RFE/RL 16 Apr 2018 -- In a new report, Pakistan's leading watchdog has said the country has failed to make progress on several issues over the past year, citing forced disappearances, women's rights violations, and protection of religious minorities.
- NASA to dispatch TESS on biggest planet-hunting mission Press TV 16 Apr 2018 -- NASA will send a keen eye into the orbit to hunt for new exoplanets, rocky planets outside our solar system that orbit their host stars, in a $337 million two-year mission, which is considered as the most ambitious search for alien worlds that Homo sapiens have ever conducted.
- NASA to Launch a 'Planet Hunter' in a Bid to Scan Their Atmosphere Sputnik 16 Apr 2018 -- The new satellite is only the first step in finding exoplanets with an atmosphere capable of sustaining life. The second step, involving the launch of a space telescope is to take place in 2020.
- Serbia, And Its Parliament, Grapple With Fate Of War Criminal Vojislav Seselj RFE/RL 16 Apr 2018 -- Following his international conviction on war crimes charges, opinion in Serbia is sharply divided over whether ultranationalist Vojislav Seselj should be allowed to take his seat in that country's parliament.
- Djukanovic Wins Montenegro's Presidential Election, Avoids Runoff RFE/RL 16 Apr 2018 -- Montenegro's ruling party leader Milo Djukanovic has won an outright victory in the country's presidential vote and avoided a runoff, nearly complete official results confirm.
- Protesters, Armenian Riot Police Clash Over Nomination For Prime Minister RFE/RL 16 Apr 2018 -- Demonstrators and Armenian riot police clashed after lawmakers nominated Serzh Sarkisian to be the country's next prime minister amid a wave of protests accusing the longtime former president of a power grab.
- Turkmenistan Clips Wings Of Citizens Fleeing Economic Woes RFE/RL 16 Apr 2018 -- In what's become an almost daily scene at the super-modern, sumptuous Ashgabat International Airport, dozens of ticketed passengers with visas in hand are being told without explanation that they cannot board their planes, often bound for Istanbul or Dubai.
- Restore ex-President's right to stand for election, UN expert committee directs Maldives UN News 16 Apr 2018 -- Deciding upon complaints filed by Mohamed Nasheed, the ex-President of Maldives, a United Nations human rights expert committee has called on the Government to restore Mr. Nasheed's right to stand for public office, including the office of the President.
- Kenya Electoral Body in Turmoil After 3 Commissioners Resign VOA 16 Apr 2018 -- Tumult continues at Kenya's independent electoral commission (IEBC) nearly seven months after elections ended. Three commissioners quit their jobs Monday, saying the commission is dysfunctional and too vulnerable to meddling
- Nigerian police fire live rounds, kill one during protest for Sheikh Zakzaky's release Press TV 16 Apr 2018 -- One person has been reportedly killed and several others injured after members of the Islamic Movement in Nigeria (IMN) clashed with the police in the capital Abuja.
- UAE ends Somali military training mission as tensions soar Press TV 16 Apr 2018 -- The United Arab Emirates (UAE) has decided to end its military training program in Somalia as the ties between the two countries deteriorated following a second security incident in recent days.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|