09 April 2018 Military News
- OIF / OND / OEF / OIR / OFS Casualty Update 09 Apr 2018 [PDF]
Defense Policy / Programs
- Readout of President Donald J. Trump's Meeting with Defense and Military Leaders The White House 09 Apr 2018
- US, Jordanian forces fire up joint training in advance of Eager Lion exercise Army News 09 Apr 2018 -- The commanders of the Jordan Armed Force's 11th Border Guard Forces and the U.S. Army's 1st Battalion, 184th Infantry Regiment looked on with pride as their soldiers lit up the desert hillside with mortars.
- SecAF stresses Hanscom importance at town hall AFNS 09 Apr 2018 -- Secretary of the Air Force Heather Wilson emphasized the priorities demanded by the new National Defense Strategy and Hanscom Air Force Base's vital role in meeting them during a town hall here April 5, 2018.
- DoD Official Highlights Value of Artificial Intelligence to Future Warfare AFPS 09 Apr 2018 -- Mining the advantages of artificial intelligence is in the best interest of national security, a senior Pentagon official said today at the New America Future of War Conference here.
- 35th Infantry Division takes Total Army concept from talk to truth Army News 09 Apr 2018 -- More than 500 Soldiers of the 35th Infantry Division blazed a new trail during their recent deployment to the Middle East. On its first deployment as a division in more than 70 years, the Division took charge of providing for the needs of more than 10,000 Soldiers among five brigades, spread across an area the size of the entire United States.
- Readout of Secretary of Defense James N. Mattis Meeting with Sheikh Tamim Bin Hamad Al-Thani, Emir of Qatar DoD 09 Apr 2018
- Remarks By Secretary Mattis at an Enhanced Honor Cordon Welcoming Sheikh Tamim Bin Hamad Al-Thani, Emir of Qatar, to the Pentagon DoD 09 Apr 2018 -- Presenter: Secretary of Defense James N. Mattis
- USS Dallas Decommissions After 38 Years of Service NNS 09 Apr 2018 -- Sailors and guests bid farewell to the Los Angeles-class fast attack submarine USS Dallas (SSN 700) during a decommissioning ceremony April 4, in the controlled industrial area (CIA) at Puget Sound Naval Shipyard (PSNS) Bremerton.
- Naval Support Activity Mid-South Joins the Fleet, Recognizes SAAPM NNS 09 Apr 2018 -- The installation kicked off the month participating in the region-wide ribbon tying ceremony at 10 a.m. April 3, and a lit lantern walk ceremony at the Glen Eagle Golf Course on the evening of April 5.
- USS Bremerton Returns to Pearl Harbor for Final Time NNS 09 Apr 2018 -- Friends and families of the crew gathered on the pier at Joint Base Pearl Harbor-Hickam to welcome back the Los Angeles-class fast-attack submarine USS Bremerton (SSN 698) as she returned from deployment, April 6.
- House Majority Whip, Congressional Delegates Visit Naval Station Rota NNS 09 Apr 2018 -- Naval Station Rota hosted a congressional delegation visit, led by House Majority Whip Rep. Steve Scalise April 7.
- The Best Kept Secret in the Navy: SPAWAR Systems Center Atlantic's Cyber Forensics Capabilities NNS 09 Apr 2018 -- Critical data that could prove a suspect is defrauding the government is located on a hard drive that has been submerged in water. Naval Criminal Investigative Service (NCIS) agents need access to information on a suspect's cell phone, which was intentionally destroyed.
- Air Force establishes Pentagon-based AFSPC vice commander position AFNS 09 Apr 2018 -- Lt. Gen. David D. Thompson assumed the newly-created Air Force Space Command vice commander position on April 4, 2018, after pinning on his third star.
- Qatar-Advanced Precision Kill Weapon Systems (APKWS) DSCA 09 Apr 2018 -- The State Department has made a determination approving a possible Foreign Military Sale to Qatar of Advanced Precision Kill Weapon Systems (APKWS) II Guidance Sections for an estimated cost of $300 million. The Defense Security Cooperation Agency delivered the required certification notifying Congress of this possible sale today.
- Erdogan on S-400 Purchase Amid Russia Sanctions: 'Turkey Decides Fate Itself' Sputnik 09 Apr 2018 -- Turkish President Recep Tayyip Ergodan reaffirmed on Monday Ankara's determination to purchase Russian S-400 Triumf air defense systems despite the new US sanctions against Russia's state arms exporter Rosoboronexport.
- PLA unveils new border defense equipment People's Daily 09 Apr 2018 -- China's People's Liberation Army (PLA) has strengthened its power and management in border defense by developing new types of equipment that can be used in all environments, including those with extremes of temperature and topography.y
- Many States Interested in BrahMos as Talks Are Underway - Indian Defense Chief Sputnik 09 Apr 2018 -- India says that there is sustained interest among countries of South East Asia and Africa in purchasing the BrahMos but negotiations are taking time as there are a number of crucial issues that need to be addressed before exporting what has been touted as the world's deadliest missile system.
- Chinese Defense Ministry demands halt of US arms sales to Taiwan Press TV 09 Apr 2018 -- China has opposed the United States selling weapons to Taiwan, after the administration of US President Donald Trump agreed to provide the self-ruled island nation with military technology to help it build its own submarines.
- Swedish Navy Finds Fault With Poor Maps That 'Obstruct Submarine Hunting' Sputnik 09 Apr 2018 -- In 2014, the Swedish Navy turned its painfully unsuccessful hunt for a "Russian submarine" into an international thriller. Today, Navy experts are blaming substandard maps of the challenging and difficult-to-navigate seascape for reducing the nation's submarine hunting capacity.
- Remarks by President Trump at Cabinet Meeting The White House 09 Apr 2018
- Press Briefing by Press Secretary Sarah Sanders The White House 09 Apr 2018
- DoD News: Contracts for April 09, 2018
- China-made jetliner completes crosswind flight test People's Daily 09 Apr 2018 -- China's first homegrown regional jetliner, the ARJ21-700, has completed a crosswind flight test.
- 9 April 2018 - Daily Press Briefing by the Office of the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General United Nations 09 Apr 2018
- Military Communications Jammers Deployed at Chinese Bases in South China Sea Sputnik 09 Apr 2018 -- The Chinese military has begun to deploy more defensive fortifications in the South China Sea's Spratly Islands, including technology capable of interfering with radar and communications systems, according to a new report.
- Philippines eyes joint exploration with China in disputed sea Press TV 09 Apr 2018 -- Ahead of Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte's talks in Beijing, Manila says it is looking to sign an agreement with China in the coming months for joint oil and exploration in a part of the busy South China Sea waterway claimed by both countries.
- Yemeni forces targets Saudi base in Najran region with ballistic missile Press TV 09 Apr 2018 -- Yemeni army troops, backed by allied fighters from Popular Committees, have fired a domestically-manufactured ballistic missile at a military base in Saudi Arabia's southern border region of Najran in retaliation for the Saudi regime's military campaign against the war-ravaged country, Yemeni media report.
- Fresh Saudi airstrikes leave some 2 dozen civilians dead across Yemen Press TV 09 Apr 2018 -- At least 22 civilians have lost their lives and several others sustained injures when Saudi warplanes carried out multiple airstrikes against residential areas across Yemen as the Riyadh regime continues with its atrocious bombardment campaign against its impoverished neighbor.
- Security Council urged to prevent 'uncontrollable escalation' in Syria UN News 09 Apr 2018 -- The recent escalating violence across Syria, including allegations of chemical weapons use in a Damascus suburb, could have consequences so devastating they are "difficult to even imagine," a United Nations envoy warned Monday, calling for unity among global powers to prevent a chain of events that could draw in actors far beyond the region.
- Trump Weighs Response to Alleged Syria Chemical Attack VOA 09 Apr 2018 -- U.S. President Donald Trump on Monday condemned the "heinous" alleged chemical weapons attack in Syria, saying he would make "major decisions" within 24 to 48 hours about how the U.S would respond.
- Trump Through the Years: Contradictory Views on Syria VOA 09 Apr 2018 -- When it comes to Syria, Donald Trump as a private citizen and as the U.S. president has voiced a wide range of often contradictory views.
- Alleged Syrian Regime Chemical Attack Puts Ankara in Tight Spot VOA 09 Apr 2018 -- Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan was quick to join in the condemnation of Saturday's alleged chemical weapons attack in Syria that killed dozens of civilians. But unlike many of Turkey's western allies, Erdogan refrained from publicly criticizing the Damascus regime's key backers: Tehran and Moscow.
- Trump makes 1st in-person comment on Syria: I'll decide in 24 to 48 hrs. Press TV 09 Apr 2018 -- US President Donald Trump has made his first in-person comment on the alleged chemical attack in Syria, announcing he would make a decision "over the next 24 to 48 hours."
- Iran, Russia must boost cooperation in Syria until security restored: Rouhani Press TV 09 Apr 2018 -- Iranian President Hassan Rouhani says Iran and Russia have strategic relations and must continue their cooperation until the full restoration of peace and security to the war-ravaged country.
- Chemical weapons agency investigating Douma attack Press TV 09 Apr 2018 -- The international chemical weapons watchdog has launched an investigation into a reported chemical attack near the Syrian capital Damascus that the US has blamed on the Syrian government.
- US initial assessment does not blame Syria for chemical attack Press TV 09 Apr 2018 -- An initial assessment by the United States has not determined whether a reported chemical attack in the Syrian town of Douma was carried out by Syrian government forces, Reuters reports.
- Kremlin: Assumptions on chemical attack in Syria 'dangerous, wrong' Press TV 09 Apr 2018 -- The Kremlin has warned that jumping to any conclusions about a reported chemical attack near the Syrian capital of Damascus without confirmed information would be wrong and dangerous as there is no investigation underway into the alleged incident.
- UK urges 'strong international' response to alleged Syria gas attack Press TV 09 Apr 2018 -- British Foreign Secretary Boris Johnson has called for a "strong and robust international response" to an alleged chemical weapons attack near the Syrian capital of Damascus.
- Russia, US urge Security Council meeting after Syria attacks Press TV 09 Apr 2018 -- The United Nations Security Council will hold a meeting on Monday at rival requests of Russia and the United States following an alleged chemical attack in Syria.
- Trump Says Putin 'May' Bear Responsibility For Syria Deaths, Promises 'Major Decisions' Soon RFE/RL 09 Apr 2018 -- U.S. President Donald Trump says he will make "major decisions" on Syrian in the "next 24 to 48 hours" in response to a suspected chemical attack, as calls increased for an international response to the crisis and the UN Security Council gathered for an emergency meeting on April 9.
- UN Security Council Meets After Alleged Chemical Attack in Syria Sputnik 09 Apr 2018 -- The UN Security Council met on Monday to discuss the latest security developments in Syria, in particular the alleged chemical attack in Douma and the airstrikes that followed.
- Syrian Army's Anti-Terror Op Moving Closer to US Al-Tanf Base – Reports Sputnik 09 Apr 2018 -- Syrian Arabic-language newspaper Al-Watan reported, citing field sources, that the Syrian army units managed to take more lands near al-Tanf region under control.
- Trump on Possible Military Action in Syria: 'Nothing is off the Table' Sputnik 09 Apr 2018 -- The US president has said that he is discussing with military leadership the situation surrounding the alleged chemical attack in the Syrian town of Douma, which he slammed as a "heinous" act against innocent civilians.
- US Does Not Rule Out Military Strikes Against Assad in Syria - Pentagon Chief Sputnik 09 Apr 2018 -- The United States cannot rule out the possibility that it will carry out military strikes against the Syrian government, US Secretary of Defense James Mattis said on Monday.
- OPCW Made Preliminary Analysis of Allegations of Chemical Attack in Douma, Syria Sputnik 09 Apr 2018 -- The Organisation for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons said Monday it had made a preliminary analysis of the reports of an alleged chemical attack in Syria's Douma and its Fact-Finding Mission was gathering further information to establish whether chemical weapons were used.
- Syria, Russia Say Israel Struck Central Syrian Air Base VOA 09 Apr 2018 -- Syria and Russia say two Israeli war planes operating in Lebanese air space carried out an attack early Monday on an air base in central Syria.
- Syria warns about 'dangerous repercussions' of Israeli assaults Press TV 09 Apr 2018 -- Syria has warned about the "dangerous repercussions" of Israeli assaults on its territories, stressing that a recent attack on an air base in the Arab country's province of Homs would not have been possible without massive US support.
- Israel's attack on Syria blatant violation of international law: Iran Press TV 09 Apr 2018 -- Iran has strongly condemned the Israeli regime's attack on an air base in the Syrian province of Homs, saying it was a blatant violation of international law which would strengthen terrorists.
- Russia, Syria say Israeli warplanes hit Syrian military airport Press TV 09 Apr 2018 -- Russia and Syria say Israeli warplanes struck an air base in the Syrian province of Homs and that Syrian air defense systems shot down five of eight missiles fired.
- Syria Reports Missile Strike On Homs Airfield; U.S. Says Not Conducting Attack RFE/RL 09 Apr 2018 -- Syrian state media report that "missiles" have struck a military airfield in the center of the country, killing and wounding several people, although U.S. forces said they were not conducting air strikes in Syria.
- US Reportedly Confirms Israel Informed It About Strike on Syrian T-4 Base Sputnik 09 Apr 2018 -- Overnight to Monday the Syrian state news agency SANA reported that the T-4 air base in the Homs province had been hit by a missile strike; the Russian Defense Ministry said later in the day the attack was conducted by two Israeli F-15 fighter jets.
- Syria on Israeli Attack on T-4 Airbase: We Reserve Right to Defend Our Soil Sputnik 09 Apr 2018 -- The Russian Defense Ministry said on Monday that two Israeli F-15 fighter jets had conducted an attack against Syria's T-4 base, following reports by Syrian media that the facility had been subjected to a missile strike.
- Syrian Airbase in Homs Province Hit by Missile Attack Sputnik 09 Apr 2018 -- A T-4 airbase in the Syrian province of Homs has been hit by a missile strike, local media reported, suspecting the United States. However, Pentagon did not confirm the reports of involvement.
- Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi's aide killed in Kirkuk IRNA 09 Apr 2018 -- The main assistance of Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi, Daesh ringleader, Abu Valid al-Shishani was killed near Kirkuk, Iraq.
- No one in Myanmar should be left behind on the path to a better future, stresses UN official UN News 09 Apr 2018 -- "Regardless of their ethnicity, religion and citizenship status, we need to […] ensure that no vulnerable conflict-affected people are deprived of safe and sustained access to humanitarian protection and assistance, Ursula Mueller, the UN Deputy Emergency Relief Coordinator, said on Sunday at the end of a six-day visit to Myanmar.
- Nasrallah: US offered Hezbollah money to cede resistance Press TV 09 Apr 2018 -- Sayyed Hassan Nasrallah says the US offered money to Hezbollah to forgo resistance following the failure of several attempts to destroy the resistance movement.
- FBI Raids Office of Trump Lawyer VOA 09 Apr 2018 -- The FBI raided the office of President Donald Trump's personal lawyer Michael Cohen Monday and seized documents, including those related to Trump's alleged affair with an adult film star.
- New US sanctions flagrant breach of anything and everything: Russia Press TV 09 Apr 2018 -- The Kremlin has blasted as an "outrageous violation of anything and everything" a new round of sanctions imposed by the United States on Russia.
- Russia Calls U.S. Sanctions 'Unacceptable' As Stocks, Ruble Plunge RFE/RL 09 Apr 2018 -- Russia has lashed out at the United States over new sanctions announced by Washington at the end of last week, calling the measures "unacceptable" and illegal and saying it reserves the right to retaliate.
- Russia Reserves Right to Respond to New US Sanctions - Prime Minister Sputnik 09 Apr 2018 -- Russia reserves the right to respond to the new US anti-Russia sanctions and may review trade deals, Russian Prime Minister Dmitry Medvedev said Monday.
- Skripal case attack on Russia's international role: Moscow's UN envoy Press TV 09 Apr 2018 -- Moscow's envoy to the United Nations has slammed the anti-Russia claims in the Skripal poisoning case as an "attack" against his country's role on the international stage, especially its Syria peace efforts.
- Trump Says He Will Meet With N Korean Leader Kim Jong Un in May or Early June Sputnik 09 Apr 2018 -- US President Donald Trump told reporters on Monday that he will meet with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un either next month or in early June.
- Trump Expects Talks With N. Korea in May or Early June VOA 09 Apr 2018 -- President Donald Trump says he expects a proposed meeting with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un to take place in May or early June.
- U.S. says DPRK ready to discuss denuclearization: report People's Daily 09 Apr 2018 -- The Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) has told the United States that it was ready to discuss the denuclearization of the Korean Peninsula at the planned meeting between the two countries' leaders, media reports said Sunday citing U.S. officials.
- North Korea, US in secret talks ahead of Trump-Kim meeting Press TV 09 Apr 2018 -- Officials from the United States and North Korea have been holding secret meetings to lay the groundwork for a much-awaited summit between American President Donald Trump and North Korean leader Kim Jong-un, according to a new report.
- US officials: N Korea ready to discuss denuclearization Press TV 09 Apr 2018 -- US officials claim North Korea has told the Trump administration that that they are willing to discuss the denuclearization of the Korean Peninsula when North Korean leader Kim Jong-un meets US President Donald Trump.
- Nuclear Combining Processing Unit inaugurated at Natanz complex IRNA 09 Apr 2018 -- President Hassan Rouhani in a video conference on Monday ordered inauguration of a nuclear combining processing unit at Ahmadi Roshan nuclear enrichment complex in Natanz.
- Iran able to reach 20% enrichment in 2 days: Nuclear official IRNA 09 Apr 2018 -- Iran is able to conduct 20 percent enrichment of uranium in two days, said the spokesman of the Iran Atomic Energy Agency (AEOI) on Monday.
- Iran unveils major nuclear achievements: AEOI Chief IRNA 09 Apr 2018 -- Iran has unveiled major nuclear achievements on the occasion of 12th anniversary of Iran's National Nuclear Technology Day (April 9), Head of the Atomic Energy Organization of Iran (AEOI) Ali Akbar Salehi said.
- Iran to make necessary decision if others change stance on JCPOA IRNA 09 Apr 2018 -- If other parties change their position regarding nuclear deal, Iran will take necessary decisions based on the principles of its foreign policy and will protect its interests, Head of the Atomic Energy Organization of Iran (AEOI) said.
- Iran-made yellow cake sent to Esfahan UCF IRNA 09 Apr 2018 -- First yellow cake made in the factory in Ardakan, central Iran, was sent to Esfahan UCF on Monday.
- Iran President unveils 83 nuclear achievements IRNA 09 Apr 2018 -- Iran's President Hassan Rouhani unveiled 83 nuclear achievements of the country on Monday that is designated as the National Nuclear Technology Day.
- Iran celebrates Nuclear Day with warning to Trump Press TV 09 Apr 2018 -- Iran celebrates its National Nuclear Technology Day, with President Hassan Rouhani warning US President Donald Trump against a possible pullout from the nuclear deal with the Islamic Republic.
- Rohani: U.S. 'Will Regret' Any Violation Of Iran Nuclear Accord RFE/RL 09 Apr 2018 -- Iranian President Hassan Rohani has warned that Washington "will regret it" if the United States violates a 2015 deal between Tehran and global powers to curb Iran's nuclear program.
- China warns against US unilateralism, says trade talks 'impossible' for now Press TV 09 Apr 2018 -- Amid economic frictions between Beijing and Washington, Chinese Premier Li Keqiang has warned that a looming trade war will not only be to the detriment of regional interests, but will also harm common interests of the entire global community.
- China: US Trade Talks Currently 'Impossible' VOA 09 Apr 2018 -- China's Foreign Ministry said Monday that trade talks with the United States are impossible under current conditions.
- Hungary's Ruling Party to Move Ahead with Anti-migration Laws Following Victory VOA 09 Apr 2018 -- Hungary's ruling party says it will seek to limit the ability of civic groups to help migrants, a day after Hungarian Prime Minister Viktor Orban won an overwhelming election victory on an anti-migration platform.
- Hungary PM re-elected as party wins sweeping parliamentary majority Press TV 09 Apr 2018 -- Hungary's incumbent Prime Minister Viktor Orban is on track for his third consecutive term in office after his right-wing party secured a sweeping majority in the country's parliamentary elections.
- Hungary's Orban Declares Victory In Elections RFE/RL 09 Apr 2018 -- Viktor Orban, Hungary's right-wing, antimigrant prime minister, has declared a "historic" victory for his ruling Fidesz party in national elections that handed him his third consecutive term atop the country's government.
- EU Urges Hungary To Defend Bloc's Values After Orban Victory RFE/RL 09 Apr 2018 -- The European Union has called on Hungary to help defend the bloc's values after right-wing Prime Minister Viktor Orban claimed a landslide victory in the country's general elections, setting him up for a third consecutive term.
- African Migrants in Limbo After Israel Zigzags on Deportation VOA 09 Apr 2018 -- About 40,000 Africans in Israel are facing an uncertain future as Israel resumes efforts to deport them.
- 'Stop This Cruelty': Pakistan's Pashtuns Want Answers About Missing Loved Ones RFE/RL 09 Apr 2018 -- Thousands of protesters clapped frantically and others wept as Basro Bibi, draped in a brown burqa and flanked by her young children, made an emotional plea to authorities to release her missing husband.
- Armenia's new president sworn in as country becomes parliamentary republic Press TV 09 Apr 2018 -- Armen Sarkisian has been sworn in as Armenia's fourth president as the South Caucasus nation shifts to a parliamentary republic.
- New Armenian President Sworn In, As Ex-President Expected To Retain Power RFE/RL 09 Apr 2018 -- Armen Sarkisian has been sworn in as president of Armenia amid speculation that outgoing President Serzh Sarkisian will become prime minister, a post that is now more powerful than the presidency due to constitutional reforms.
- Speaker of Somalia's Parliament Resigns VOA 09 Apr 2018 -- Somalia's Speaker of Parliament, Mohamed Osman Jawari, has resigned after a three-week power struggle with the country's prime minister, officials say
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|