05 April 2018 Military News
- OIF / OND / OEF / OIR / OFS Casualty Update 05 Apr 2018 [PDF]
- US, allies set up more Syria posts, risking standoff with Turkey Press TV 05 Apr 2018 -- The United States and allies Britain and France have been setting up new outposts in northeastern Syria, despite a lack of permission from Damascus to have military presence in sovereign Syrian territory.
- Pentagon Says No Change on Syria Strategy VOA 05 Apr 2018 -- Days after U.S. President Donald Trump repeated his call to bring home U.S. forces from Syria, defense officials insisted there's been no shift in strategy or to U.S. policy.
- ISIS 'Caliphate' Defeat is Near, Top Pentagon Officials Say AFPS 05 Apr 2018 -- The defeat of the "caliphate" that the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria claimed in Syria is near, top Defense Department officials said at the Pentagon today.
- Trump 'persuaded not to pull out immediately' from Syria: Officials Press TV 05 Apr 2018 -- Some US officials say President Donald Trump has been persuaded not to withdraw troops from Syria immediately, despite his recent announcement that the United States would "be coming out of Syria very soon."
- 'Essentially Nothing Changed' in US Policy in Syria - Joint Staff Chief Sputnik 05 Apr 2018 -- Despite US Donald Trump's intention to withdraw troops from Syria, US military officials continue to insist on the opposite policy.
- While Trump Wants Pullout From Syria, Officials Reportedly Advise the Opposite Sputnik 05 Apr 2018 -- Last week, Trump said that the United States would leave Syria "very soon," however, CNN reported that this decision is probably opposed by some high-ranking officials in the president's administration.
- Taliban vow 'serious revenge' after deadly aerial attack in northeast Afghanistan Press TV 05 Apr 2018 -- The Taliban militant group has vowed to "take serious revenge" after a recent Afghan airstrike on a religious school (madrasa) killed dozens of people, including children in northeastern Province of Kunduz.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Department Of Defense Press Briefing By Pentagon Chief Spokesperson Dana W. White And Joint Staff Director Lt. Gen. Kenneth F. McKenzie Jr. In The Pentagon Briefing Room DoD 05 Apr 2018 -- Presenter: Pentagon Chief Spokesperson Dana W. White; Joint Staff Director Lieutenant General Kenneth F. McKenzie Jr.
- Statement by Chief Pentagon Spokesperson Dana W. White on Enhanced Border Security DoD 05 Apr 2018 -- The Department of Defense provides the military forces to protect the security of our country, which includes border security because border security is national security.
- Trump Wants Up to 4,000 Guard Troops on Border Until Wall Is Built VOA 05 Apr 2018 -- President Donald Trump said Thursday that he would send 2,000 to 4,000 National Guard troops to the U.S. border with Mexico.
- DoD Enhances Support for U.S. Border Security Mission, Spokesperson Says AFPS 05 Apr 2018 -- The Defense Department is enhancing its support to the Department of Homeland Security to secure the U.S. border with Mexico, chief Pentagon spokesperson Dana W. White said today.
- Assessing the Need for National Guard Troops at the US-Mexico Border VOA 05 Apr 2018 -- While U.S. President Donald Trump has called on the National Guard to enhance security at the U.S.-Mexico border, the numbers do not show the border becoming more "dangerous" as he tweeted Sunday.
- Upgrading the fuel structure in the AOR with experience and a strong work ethic AFNS 05 Apr 2018 -- As the early morning sun rises, beads of sweat trickle down off the brow of Airmen exposed to the elements of the unforgiving desert in Southwest Asia. A unique team of petroleum, oil and lubricant Airmen display their strong work ethic, experience and positive attitude by controlling, distributing and testing mission essential fuels daily.
- Thunderbirds aircraft mishap AFNS 05 Apr 2018 -- A U.S. Air Force Thunderbirds pilot was killed when his F-16 Fighting Falcon crashed over the Nevada Test and Training Range April 4, 2018, at approximately 10:30 a.m. during a routine aerial demonstration training flight. The identity of the pilot is being withheld for 24-hours pending next of kin notification. An investigation is being conducted into the cause of the mishap.
- US Army kicks off Combined Resolve X Army News 05 Apr 2018 -- Nearly 3,700 service members from 13 allied and partner nations will participate in exercise Combined Resolve X at the 7th Army Training Command's Grafenwoehr Training Area in southeastern Germany, April 9-May 12, 2018. Combined Resolve is a U.S. Army Europe exercise designed to give the rotational combat brigades a graded culminating event before they return to the U.S.
- Army modernization helps drive expansion at Army arsenal Army News 05 Apr 2018 -- The Army identified in late 2017 six primary capabilities it wants to modernize and of those six, the Arsenal has a direct impact on three crucial areas. And because it does, the Arsenal is now in the midst of a hiring renaissance after suffering through many years of declining workload requirements.
- Marines with 2/14 conduct a live-fire HIMARS raid USMC News 05 Apr 2018 -- An Air Force MC-130 barrels through the dry, March air, in route to Dugway Proving Grounds, Utah. Aboard, Marines verifiy target coordinates for an M142 High Mobility Artillery Rocket System chained down beside them.
- Exercise Alligator Dagger Cancelled NNS 05 Apr 2018 -- U.S. air operations in Djibouti are on hold and U.S. Naval Forces Central Command has cancelled the remainder of exercise Alligator Dagger in response to two separate aviation incidents in Djibouti on April 3, 2018.
- USS Donald Cook Visits Larnaca NNS 05 Apr 2018 -- The Arleigh Burke-class guided-missile destroyer USS Donald Cook (DDG 75) arrived in Larnaca, Cyprus, April 5, 2018, for a scheduled port visit to enhance U.S.-Cyprus relations as the two nations work together to strengthen regional security and stability.
- US Marine Corps to Finally Get New Mk 13 Mod 7 Sniper Rifles Sputnik 05 Apr 2018 -- The US Marine Corps plans on adopting the new Mk 13 Mod 7 sniper rifle for Marine scout snipers, replacing the current M40 sniper system that has been in use since the Vietnam War.
- No rest for Washington state's 10th Civil Support Team Army News 05 Apr 2018 -- Lt. Col. Ricky Thomas jokes that since taking command of the 10th Civil Support Team (CST) 18 months ago, he has yet to unpack his suitcase. Looking at his calendar, his bags will remain packed for a while.
- Stoltenberg Warns That NATO Watches Russian Naval Drills in Baltic Sea – Reports Sputnik 05 Apr 2018 -- NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg said that the North Atlantic alliance is watching closely Russia's naval exercises in the Baltic Sea, EUobserver online newspaper reported Thursday.
- Crisis-Hit Norwegian Army Up in Arms Over Lack of Tanks, Helicopters, Staff Sputnik 05 Apr 2018 -- Last year alone, 660 service personnel disappeared from the Norwegian Army, Navy and Air Force, which previously had a combined force of 16,000. Severe understaffing, along with poor defense preparedness, are among five problems the Nordic nation's armed forces must address, according to recent reports.
- China sends new naval fleet for escort mission People's Daily 05 Apr 2018 -- The 29th fleet from Chinese People's Liberation Army (PLA) Navy has left east China's port city Zhoushan for the Gulf of Aden and waters off Somali to escort civilian ships.
- China ready to strengthen international defense cooperation: defense minister People's Daily 05 Apr 2018 -- China is willing to improve defense cooperation with various countries and create a win-win and benefit-sharing global security environment, Chinese State Councilor and Minister of National Defense Wei Fenghe said Wednesday.
- Beijing May Have Upgraded J-10 Fighter to Become Stealthier Sputnik 05 Apr 2018 -- The People's Liberation Army-Air Force has modified the J-10 aircraft to have thrust vector control (TVC) capability, part of the service's drive to make the aircraft more lethal.
- France 'to launch European military crisis force in June' Press TV 05 Apr 2018 -- France says it will "launch" a deployable European military crisis force in June, with French defense officials confirming that the army would work outside of existing European Union efforts.
- New Royal Navy operations hub opens in Gulf UK MOD 05 Apr 2018 -- Britain has cemented its enhanced and permanent presence in the Gulf with the opening of the United Kingdom Naval Support Facility at a ceremony at Mina Salman port in Bahrain today.
- Germany - MQ-4C Triton Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) DSCA 05 Apr 2018 -- The State Department has made a determination approving a possible Foreign Military Sale to Germany of MQ-4C Triton Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) for an estimated cost of $2.50 billion. The Defense Security Cooperation Agency delivered the required certification notifying Congress of this possible sale on Apr. 4, 2018.
- Germany Puts Air Defense Unit Under Foreign Control in 'New Era' for EU Military Sputnik 05 Apr 2018 -- The first-ever "sharing parenthood" of the air force marks a milestone in the creation of a German-Dutch joint military, which began more than 20 years ago, and falls in line with expansion of the all-European common defense system PESCO.
- Russia-Made S-300 Plays Important Role in Iran's Security - Defense Minister Sputnik 05 Apr 2018 -- The Russian S-300 air defense system plays an important role in the security of the Islamic Republic, the Iranian defense minister said.
- Pakistani Defense Minister Urges Washington to Reconsider Cuts to Military Aid Sputnik 05 Apr 2018 -- Islamabad is calling on Washington to reconsider the reduction of military aid to the country as Pakistan has recently managed to achieve success in its fight against terrorism, Pakistani Defense Minister Khurram Dastgir Khan told Sputnik in an interview on Thursday.
- The Kingdom of Saudi Arabia – 155mm M109A6 Paladin Medium Self-Propelled Howitzer System DSCA 05 Apr 2018 -- The State Department has made a determination approving a possible Foreign Military Sale to Saudi Arabia of 155mm M109A5/A6 Medium Self-Propelled Howitzer structures for conversion to M109A6 Paladin Howitzer systems for an estimated cost of $1.31 billion. The Defense Security Cooperation Agency delivered the required certification notifying Congress of this possible sale today.
- Estonia urges deployment of US Patriot missiles, troops Press TV 05 Apr 2018 -- Estonian President Kersti Kaljulaid has called for the installment of US Patriot missiles and the deployment of American ground troops in her small Baltic country, saying the measures are necessary to make deterrence "believable" to Russia.
- Australia - M795 with Insensitive Munitions Explosive (IMX) 101 Explosive Fill 155mm HE Projectile DSCA 05 Apr 2018 -- The State Department has made a determination approving a possible Foreign Military Sale to Australia of M795 with Insensitive Munitions Explosive (IMX) 101 Explosive Fill 155mm HE projectiles for an estimated cost of $148 million. The Defense Security Cooperation Agency delivered the required certification notifying Congress of this possible sale on Apr. 4, 2018.
- North Korea soon to have missiles that can hit UK cities: MPs Press TV 05 Apr 2018 -- North Korea is less than two years away from developing missile technology that will allow it to hit targets across the UK, some British Members of Parliament have warned in a report.
- US to Supply Ukrainian Army With Sniper Equipment – Reports Sputnik 05 Apr 2018 -- The US authorities made a decision to provide the Ukrainian military with a batch of sniper equipment, the Ukrainian UNIAN news agency reported, citing US Senator Rob Portman said on Thursday.
- Press Gaggle by Deputy Press Secretary Hogan Gidley The White House 05 Apr 2018
- Remarks by President Trump in Press Gaggle en route Washington, D.C. The White House 05 Apr 2018
- 5 April 2018 - Daily Press Briefing by the Office of the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General United Nations 05 Apr 2018
- 'Netanyahu, Trump clash over early Syria withdrawal plan' Press TV 05 Apr 2018 -- A recent telephone conversation between Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and US President Donald Trump grew tense over Trump's earlier expression of his tendency to withdraw US forces from Syria "very soon," according to two US officials.
- US Pushing Allies, Partners to Pick Up Slack in Syria VOA 05 Apr 2018 -- The United States is pushing its allies and partners across the Middle East to ramp up their efforts to destroy the Islamic State terror group, saying the involvement of U.S. forces in Syria is "coming to a rapid end."
- Putin: Russia, Iran, Turkey will take more coordinated steps on Syria IRNA 05 Apr 2018 -- Russian President Vladimir Putin said on Wednesday that Russia, Iran and Turkey will take more coordinated steps to solve problems facing Syria.
- West leading 'campaign of lies' on chemicals in Syria: Damascus Press TV 05 Apr 2018 -- Damascus has denounced a recent statement by the US and its European allies, which blamed the Syrian government for an alleged chemical attack in the town of Khan Shaykhun last year, saying "the colonial western countries are leading a campaign of lies."
- Syria gearing up for anti-Daesh battle south of capital: Report Press TV 05 Apr 2018 -- With the Damascus suburb of Eastern Ghouta almost freed, Syrian armed forces are now gearing up for a military operation to cleanse the capital city's southern areas of Daesh remnants, a monitor says.
- Iranian Defense Minister Disbelieves Trump's Rhetoric on Withdrawal From Syria Sputnik 05 Apr 2018 -- Iranian Defense Minister Amir Hatami said on Thursday that he dismissed claims made by US President Donald Trump on swiftly withdrawing US troops from Syria as a hoax on the part of Washington.
- Ankara Hosts Iran, Russia Leaders as Cooperation Deepens to End Syria Conflict VOA 05 Apr 2018 -- Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan hosted his Iranian counterpart, Hassan Rouhani, and Russian President Vladimir Putin in Ankara Wednesday for a second trilateral summit, part of ongoing efforts to end the Syrian civil war.
- Israel threatens to open fire at Gaza protesters amid renewed rallies Press TV 05 Apr 2018 -- Israeli minister for military affairs warns that the army will continue to fire at Gazans if they approach the fence separating Israelis and Palestinians.
- UN envoy calls for restraint ahead of renewed protests at Gaza fence UN News 05 Apr 2018 -- Ahead of tomorrow's planned protests at the Gaza-Israel border, the United Nations envoy on the Middle East peace process has called on Israeli forces to exercise maximum restraint and on the Palestinians to avoid friction at the Gaza fence, which was the scene of deadly violence amid similar demonstrations last Friday.
- Boko Haram Militant Group 'Almost Beaten' - Cameroonian Defense Minister Sputnik 05 Apr 2018 -- Joseph Beti Assomo, the Minister Delegate at the Presidency of the Republic of Cameroon in Charge of Defense in an exclusive interview with Sputnik spoke about the two security crises facing Cameroon – terrorism from Boko Haram, and the secessionist crisis in two Anglophone regions of the country.
- Burundi: Security Council urges dialogue amid deteriorating political and humanitarian situation UN News 05 Apr 2018 -- Expressing deep concern over the slow pace of the inter-Burundian dialogue and the lack of engagement by the Government, the United Nations Security Council called on all stakeholders, in particular the authorities to commit to the dialogue and reach an agreement ahead of the 2020 elections.
- U.S. Special Counsel Reportedly Tells Lawyers Trump Is Not 'Target' In Russia Probe RFE/RL 05 Apr 2018 -- U.S. Special Counsel Robert Mueller continues to investigate whether President Donald Trump attempted to block his probe into Russian meddling in the 2016 election, but he has told Trump lawyers the president is not currently a "target" of the probe, media are reporting.
- U.S. Reported Poised To Impose New Sanctions On Russian Billionaires RFE/RL 05 Apr 2018 -- The United States plans to impose a new round of sanctions on Russia, this time targeting Russian billionaires with ties to President Vladimir Putin, media are reporting.
- As Security Council debates Salisbury chemical attack, Russia calls accusation absurd; UK stands by charge UN News 05 Apr 2018 -- During a heated debate in the United Nations Security Council on Thursday, Russia again rejected allegations levelled by the United Kingdom that Moscow was behind a deadly nerve-agent attack in the English city of Salisbury on 4 March.
- British Left to Defend Poison Allegations After Missteps VOA 05 Apr 2018 -- Sixty U.S. diplomats expelled by the Kremlin in the escalating dispute over the poisoning of a former Russian spy and his daughter in Britain were seen leaving the U.S. embassy in Moscow Thursday.
- Poisoned Daughter of Russian Ex-Spy Says She Is Recovering Quickly VOA 05 Apr 2018 -- The poisoned daughter of a former Russian spy attacked with a nerve agent in Britain says she is recovering quickly.
- Yulia Skripal Says Strength 'Growing Daily,' Doesn't Reply To Russian Embassy Offer RFE/RL 05 Apr 2018 -- London's Metropolitan Police Service has issued a statement on behalf of Yulia Skripal, who fell ill last month in Britain after exposure to a nerve agent, quoting her as saying her strength "is growing daily" and that the entire poisoning incident has been "somewhat disorientating."
- Russia Takes Skripal Poisoning Case Before UN Security Council RFE/RL 05 Apr 2018 -- Russia takes its case before the UN Security Council on April 5, calling for an international investigation into the poisoning of a former Russian spy in Britain one day after losing a bid to be part of a joint investigation by the global chemical weapons watchdog.
- Trump Not Expected to Meet Castro, Maduro at Summit of Americas VOA 05 Apr 2018 -- U.S. President Donald Trump is not expected to meet the leaders of Cuba and Venezuela when he attends the Summit of the Americas next week, according to White House officials. However, there will still be opportunities for interactions between Trump and his Latin and North American counterparts at the two-day summit that begins April 13 in Lima, Peru.
- N Korea Wants to Resume Six-Party Talks on Nuclear Program - Reports Sputnik 05 Apr 2018 -- North Korean leader Kim Jong Un expressed his interest in resuming six-party talks on the country's nuclear program during his talks with Chinese President Xi Jinping that were held in late March, media reported on Thursday.
- Aid Group Sends Food in a Bottle to North Korea VOA 05 Apr 2018 -- Humanitarian groups in South Korea are using the ocean current to send needed food and information from the outside world into impoverished regions of North Korea.
- 2 Koreas Hold Preparatory Talks Ahead of Landmark Summit VOA 05 Apr 2018 -- North and South Korean officials held preparatory talks Thursday for a summit later this month between the countries' two leaders amid a global effort to resolve tensions over Pyongyang's nuclear program.
- Defense minister: US seeks to deprive Iran of JCPOA's privileges IRNA 05 Apr 2018 -- Defense Minister Brigadier General Amir Hatami said on Thursday that the US government is to deprive Iran of JCPOA's incentives with resort to unfounded allegations having roots in its non-commitment to international accords.
- Tehran to give crushing response to those seeking to disrupt JCPOA IRNA 05 Apr 2018 -- Head of the Atomic Energy Organization of Iran (AEOI) Ali-Akbar Salehi said on Thursday that those wishing to violate the JCPOA will be taught an unforgettable lesson.
- Iran warns of 'special surprise' if nuclear deal ditched Press TV 05 Apr 2018 -- Head of the Atomic Energy Organization of Iran Ali Akbar Salehi warns of a "special surprise" if the Trump administration goes ahead with its threat to scuttle the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA).
- US seeking to deprive Iran of nuclear deal benefits: Defense chief Press TV 05 Apr 2018 -- Iran's defense minister has denounced the United States for failing to respect international agreements, saying Washington is now seeking to deprive the Islamic Republic of the benefits of its 2015 nuclear deal with six world powers, which is officially known as the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA).
- China strikes back at U.S. unilateralism with equal tariff plan People's Daily 05 Apr 2018 -- China on Wednesday unveiled a list of products worth 50 billion U.S. dollars imported from the United States that will be subject to higher tariffs, including soybeans, automobiles, aircraft and chemical products.
- Israel, Saudi Arabia have common enemy, areas of cooperation: Bin Salman Press TV 05 Apr 2018 -- In an apparent reference to Iran, Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman says the regimes in Saudi Arabia and Israel have "a common enemy" and that they could immediately normalize their relations once the Palestine issue is resolved.
- Khamenei Lashes Out After Saudi Prince Signals Thaw With Israel RFE/RL 05 Apr 2018 -- Iranian Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei said it would be an "unforgivable mistake" to negotiate with Israel, days after Saudi Arabia's crown prince for the first time said Israelis are entitled to live peacefully on their own land.
- Taiwan addressing cybersecurity talent shortage amid China threat CNA 05 Apr 2018 -- Taiwan is to set up a cybersecurity academy at the Cabinet level to address a deficit of skilled cybersecurity personnel in the government, amid concern over increasing threats that are mostly blamed on Chinese hackers, a senior official said Thursday.
- Turkey says 80 suspects from 18 countries snatched over 2016 failed coup Press TV 05 Apr 2018 -- Turkish intelligence agents have so far snatched 80 citizens from 18 countries as part of an extensive operation against suspected members of the outlawed Fethullah Gulen movement, which is blamed by Ankara of having orchestrated a coup attempt in the Anatolian country two years ago.
- Fight Over Declaration Clouds EU's Upcoming Western Balkans Summit RFE/RL 05 Apr 2018 -- Discord over the form and substance of a final joint statement for the European Union's flagship Western Balkans summit in Sofia threatens to derail the meeting more than a month before it is to take place.
- Tajikistan Imprisons Rank-And-File Members Of The Islamic Party RFE/RL 05 Apr 2018 -- Once, the Islamic Renaissance Party of Tajikistan (IRPT) shared power in the government of Tajikistan. The IRPT was the only registered Islamic political party not only in Tajikistan but anywhere in the former Soviet Union.
- Runner-Up in Sierra Leone Presidential Poll Will Challenge Result VOA 05 Apr 2018 -- The losing candidate in Sierra Leone's presidential election has said he will challenge the results.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|