02 April 2018 Military News
- 'Kill or Capture' Mission Led to Deaths of US, British Special Forces VOA 02 Apr 2018 -- Two coalition special forces soldiers killed near Manbij, Syria were on a "kill or capture" mission for a high-value operative from the Islamic State terror group.
- Leading GOP Senator Warns Against Early U.S. Troop Pullout From Syria RFE/RL 02 Apr 2018 -- An influential Republican senator has warned against pulling U.S. troops out of Syria, countering recent comments by U.S. President Donald Trump expressing hopes for a quick withdrawal.
- Senior Enlisted Leader Discusses Afghan Mission AFPS 02 Apr 2018 -- Afghan security forces need maintenance and logistics training to ensure they are ready for the long haul against the Taliban and other terror groups, the senior enlisted advisor to the chairman said during a recent Pentagon interview.
- Senior Taliban commanders killed in Afghan airstrike in Kunduz Press TV 02 Apr 2018 -- An Afghan airstrike targeting a gathering of Taliban representatives in the northern province of Kunduz has caused multiple casualties, officials and local residents say.
Defense Policy / Programs
- American, Jordanian Forces to Support Eager Lion 2018 AFPS 02 Apr 2018 -- About 3,600 U.S. service members will partner with Jordanian military forces in Jordan April 15-26 during Exercise Eager Lion 18, one of U.S. Central Command's premier exercises, Centcom officials announced today.
- Defense Department Awards $169 million in University Research Funding DoD 02 Apr 2018-- The Department of Defense will issue 24 awards totaling $169 million to academic institutions to perform multidisciplinary basic research, a six million dollar increase above last year's total. The awards are for up to a five year period, subject to satisfactory research progress and the availability of funds.
- Blasting into the future: VMFA-122 jets forward during its first official F-35B flight USMC News 02 Apr 2018 -- It was like a scene from Top Gun as pilots marched out to the flight line to mount the metal beast known as the F-35B Lightning II. Pilots entered their cockpits, started the engines and prepared for takeoff. As the final tests were completed, the jets taxied out, gained speed and took to the sky as history was made.
- Future USS Thomas Hudner Successfully Completes Builder's Trials NNS 02 Apr 2018 -- Future guided-missile destroyer USS Thomas Hudner (DDG 116) successfully completed builder's trials, March 31, after spending four days underway.
- Successful Obangame Express 2018 Concludes NNS 02 Apr 2018 -- Adm. James G. Foggo III, commander, U.S. Naval Forces Europe-Africa and commander, Allied Joint Force Command Naples, Italy, made concluding remarks in Libreville, Gabon, at the closing ceremony of Obangame Express 2018 (OE 18).
- USS Carney Completes Fourth Forward-Deployed Patrol NNS 02 Apr 2018 -- Guided-missile destroyer USS Carney (DDG 64) returned to Naval Station Rota, Spain, March 31, after completing a four-month patrol in the U.S. 6th Fleet area of operations.
- USS Theodore Roosevelt Arrives in Singapore NNS 02 Apr 2018 -- Aircraft carrier USS Theodore Roosevelt (CVN 71), with embarked Carrier Air Wing (CVW) 17, guided-missile cruiser USS Bunker Hill (CG 52), and guided-missile destroyer USS Sampson (DDG 102) arrived in Singapore for a regularly scheduled port visit, April 2.
- Naval Supply Systems Command Disestablishes Subordinate Command, NAVSUP Global Logistics Support NNS 02 Apr 2018 -- Effective April 1, Naval Supply Systems Command (NAVSUP) disestablished NAVSUP Global Logistics Support (NAVSUP GLS). Functions performed by NAVSUP GLS have been realigned to NAVSUP Headquarters in Mechanicsburg, Pennsylvania.
- Russia successfully tests modernized anti-ballistic missile system Press TV 02 Apr 2018 -- Russia has successfully test-launched a new upgraded anti-ballistic missile system days after it tested an intercontinental ballistic missile (ICBM).
- Russian MoD: Upgraded Anti-Missile System Successfully Tested in Kazakhstan Sputnik 02 Apr 2018 -- Russia's new modernized anti-ballistic missile system has been successfully tested in Kazakhstan at the Sary Shagan testing range, the official newspaper of the Russian Defense Ministry, the Krasnaya Zvezda, reported Monday.
- UN Disarmament Commission debates ways to prevent arms race in outer space UN News 02 Apr 2018 -- Despite the deteriorating security situation, there are some signs of progress in the field of disarmament, such as the intention of the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) and the United States to hold summit talks, a senior United Nations official said Monday.
- China's bomber H-6K designed to fly beyond island chains People's Daily 02 Apr 2018 -- China's bomber H-6K is designed to fly beyond the island chains, said He Shengqiang, leader of the aircraft's research and development team from the Aviation Industry Corporation of China.
- Breaking the ice: China's entry in the Arctic region People's Daily 02 Apr 2018 -- Glittering with eye-dazzling floe bergs, an open sea extends ahead, pounding the rugged coastal lines. Underneath, a steel leviathan is pushing its way through the cold ice, while a hurtling train is meandering across the snowy land.
- China's Domestically Built Aircraft Carrier to Start Sea Trials in Late April Sputnik 02 Apr 2018 -- China's first domestically produced aircraft carrier is poised to start its first sea trials later in April, according to military sources cited by the South China Morning Post.
- Russia to Take Steps to Speed Up S-400 Delivery at Turkey's Request – Official Sputnik 02 Apr 2018 -- Russian authorities will exert efforts in order to comply with Turkey's request to accelerate the process of deliveries of S-400 air defense systems to Ankara, presidential aide Yury Ushakov said.
- U.S. Senator: New Antitank Weapons For Ukraine Will Help Bring Peace RFE/RL 02 Apr 2018 -- A top U.S. senator says advanced U.S. antitank weapons will allow Ukraine to better defend itself against Russian aggression as the conflict there enters its fifth year.
- Secret Missile System Data Leak Reportedly Compromises Sweden's Defense Sputnik 02 Apr 2018 -- A local defense expert has called the leakage of the data on "one of Sweden's main attack weapons" "injurious to the security of the country," venturing that the incident could have major consequences that undermine the nation's safety.
- Briefing on The Indo-Pacific Strategy US Dept. of State 02 Apr 2018 -- Special Briefing by Alex N. Wong, Deputy Assistant Secretary, Bureau of East Asian and Pacific Affairs
- 2 April 2018 - Daily Press Briefing by the Office of the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General United Nations 02 Apr 2018
- Yemeni forces, allies target Saudi military base in Asir with ballistic missile Press TV 02 Apr 2018 -- Yemeni army forces, backed by allied fighters from Popular Committees, have fired a domestically-manufactured ballistic missile at a military base in Saudi Arabia's southwestern border region of Asir in retaliation for the Saudi regime's military campaign against the crisis-hit country, Yemeni media report.
- Syria says Rebels Leaving Last Opposition Area of Eastern Ghouta VOA 02 Apr 2018 -- Syrian state media said Monday the largest rebel group in the eastern Ghouta suburb of Damascus began evacuating the last part of the area still under rebel control.
- Takfiri Jaish al-Islam militants start evacuating Syria's Douma Press TV 02 Apr 2018 -- Hundreds of militants from the so-called Jaish al-Islam terror group have begun evacuation from their last holdout in the Eastern Ghouta enclave on the outskirts of the Syrian capital city of Damascus, a day after they reached a deal with the Syrian government troops under Russia's mediation.
- Iraq May Launch Cross-Border Operation to Fight Terrorists in Syria - PM Abadi Sputnik 02 Apr 2018 -- Iraqi military forces have plans to launch a cross-border operation to fight against terrorists on the territory of Syria, Iraqi Prime Minister Haider Abadi said Sunday.
- Bangladesh Has No Space to Resettle Rohingya Refugees - Foreign Minister Sputnik 02 Apr 2018 -- Bangladesh, being one of the most densely populated countries in the world, does not have enough space to allow more than half a million Rohingya refugees, who have fled Myanmar since last August, to resettle within its borders, Bangladeshi Foreign Minister Abul Hassan Mahmood Ali told Sputnik on Monday.
- UN Security Council Delegation May Visit Myanmar, Bangladesh VOA 02 Apr 2018 -- The U.N. Security Council may visit Myanmar and Bangladesh this month to see firsthand the situation of hundreds of thousands of Rohingya Muslims who have fled a military crackdown in Myanmar.
- Saudi Arabia's bin Salman recognizes Israel Press TV 02 Apr 2018 -- Saudi Arabia's Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman has recognized Israel, stressing that Israelis are entitled to their own land.
- Indian-controlled Kashmir shut by strike, curfew after deadly clashes Press TV 02 Apr 2018 -- People have staged a strike in Indian-controlled Kashmir, parts of which remain under curfew, a day after deadly anti-New Delhi protests and clashes between the army and pro-independence militants.
- Kashmir Shut By Security Clampdown, Strike After Deadly Clashes RFE/RL 02 Apr 2018 -- Security restrictions and a strike has shut down most of Indian-administered Kashmir, after clashes between militants and government forces killed at least 20 people.
- Al-Shabab launches deadly gun, bomb attacks on African Union base in Somalia Press TV 02 Apr 2018 -- Al-Shabab militants have engaged in deadly battles with African Union (AU) peacekeeping forces after launching two bombings outside one of their bases in southwestern Somalia.
- AFRICOM: US Airstrike in Somalia Kills 5 Militants VOA 02 Apr 2018 -- The U.S. military says an airstrike in central Somalia has killed five al-Shabab militants and destroyed a vehicle.
- 18 killed as Boko Haram attacks Nigerian army base, villages Press TV 02 Apr 2018 -- At least 18 people have been killed and over 80 others wounded after suspected Boko Haram terrorists staged several attacks in Nigeria's restive northeast.
- UN condemns attack on civilians in north-east Nigeria UN News 02 Apr 2018 -- Nigeria's restive north-east region, a senior United Nations humanitarian official has called on all parties to the conflict to immediately cease hostilities and ensure the protection of civilians.
- Trump suggested White House meeting with Putin: Reports Press TV 02 Apr 2018 -- US President Donald Trump has reportedly invited Russian counterpart Vladimir Putin to meet at the White House, amid escalating tensions between Washington and Moscow over a number of issues.
- Kremlin Aide: Trump Invited Putin To White House During Phone Call RFE/RL 02 Apr 2018 -- A top Kremlin adviser says U.S. President Donald Trump has invited Russian leader Vladimir Putin to visit the White House.
- Russian Foreign Minister: U.K., U.S. Spreading 'Lies And Disinformation' RFE/RL 02 Apr 2018 -- Russia's top diplomat has accused the United States and Britain of spreading "lies and disinformation" about the nerve-agent poisoning of an ex-Russian double agent in England last month.
- Egyptian Elections US Dept. of State 02 Apr 2018
- Egyptian Election Results Give President Sissi Landslide Victory VOA 02 Apr 2018 -- Egypt's incumbent president Abdel Fattah el-Sissi was declared the overwhelming victor in last week's three-day presidential election.
- Amendments to the Terrorist Designation of Lashkar e-Tayyiba US Dept. of State 02 Apr 2018 -- The Department of State has amended the designation of Pakistan-based terrorist organization Lashkar e-Tayyiba (LeT) to include the aliases Milli Muslim League (MML) and Tehreek-e- Azadi-e Kashmir (TAJK). The aliases have been added to LeT's designations as a Foreign Terrorist Organization (FTO) under Section 219 of the Immigration and Nationality Act, and as a Specially Designated Global Terrorist (SDGT) under Executive Order 13224.
- Treasury Targets Terrorist Group Lashkar-e Tayyiba's Political Party US Treasury 02 Apr 2018 -- The U.S. Department of the Treasury's Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC), in concert with the Department of State, took action today targeting Lashkar-e Tayyiba (LeT) and its political party, the Milli Muslim League (MML), by designating MML and seven MML officials as Specially Designated Global Terrorists (SDGTs) pursuant to Executive Order (E.O.) 13224, which targets terrorists and those providing support to terrorists or acts of terrorism.
- Downscaled US-South Korea Military Drills Could Be Part of Nuclear Deal VOA 02 Apr 2018 -- Permanently ending the U.S.-South Korea joint military exercises that began this week could become a key factor in the nuclear talks with North Korea to come.
- Moscow 'Outraged' Over Prague's Decision To Extradite Alleged Russian Hacker To U.S. RFE/RL 02 Apr 2018 -- Russia says the recent decision to extradite an alleged Russian hacker from the Czech Republic to the United States is aimed at "undermining" bilateral relations between Moscow and Prague.
- Israel Cancels Plan to Deport Thousands of African Migrants VOA 02 Apr 2018 -- Some 40,000 Africans in Israel have won a reprieve from an Israeli plan to deport them.
- Turkey Issues Arrest Warrant for Gulen Over Killing of Russian Envoy - Reports Sputnik 02 Apr 2018 -- Ankara on Monday ordered the arrest of Islamic cleric Fethullah Gulen along with seven members of his Fethullah Terrorist Organization (FETO) over the killing of Russian Ambassador Andrey Karlov, who was assassinated in 2016, the Yeni Safak newspaper reported.
- Turkey orders arrest of Gulen, 7 others, over 2016 assassination of Russian envoy Press TV 02 Apr 2018 -- Turkish judicial authorities has ordered the arrest of US-based cleric Fethullah Gulen and seven others within the context of the investigation of the 2016 assassination of the Russian ambassador to Ankara, a day before Russian President Vladimir Putin visits the Anatolian country.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|