01 April 2018 Military News
- Trump Fuels Questions About US Role in Syria VOA 01 Apr 2018 -- Questions have emerged in Washington over the future of America's role in Syria after President Donald Trump noted progress in the fight against Islamic State and predicted a U.S. withdrawal from the Syrian conflict "very soon."
- Afghanistan Sets October Date For Parliamentary Elections RFE/RL 01 Apr 2018 -- Afghanistan's election authorities have set October 20 as the date for long-delayed legislative and district council elections.
Defense Policy / Programs
- U.S., South Korean Military Forces Begin Four-Week Joint Exercises RFE/RL 01 Apr 2018 -- The U.S. and South Korean militaries began their annual joint exercises on April 1, following a monthlong delay for the Winter Olympics and while North-South talks took place.
- US, South Korea start drills, risking diplomacy Press TV 01 Apr 2018 -- The American and South Korean militaries have launched annual joint war games after an initial postponement that was meant to avoid upsetting North Korea.
- US, S Korea Begin Joint Drills After a Month Delay, Still Threaten Diplomacy Sputnik 01 Apr 2018 -- This year's annual military exercise will be different from previous ones as they are expected to last half their usual duration and will not include US supercarriers and submarines. Although North Korea previously warned against conducting the drills, no official condemnation has been announced so far.
- US, South Korea Kick Off Annual Joint Military Drills - Reports Sputnik 01 Apr 2018 -- South Korea and the US began on Sunday the annual joint military exercise Foal Eagle that has been earlier postponed due to the Winter Olympic Games in South Korea, media reported.
- German Tornado Aircraft No Longer Fit for NATO Operations - Reports Sputnik 01 Apr 2018 -- The technical condition of many jets leaves much to be desired as they are incapable of fulfilling operational needs within the military bloc, a report by the German defense ministry said.
- Yemeni forces destroy Saudi armored vehicles in Jizan, Najran Press TV 01 Apr 2018 -- Yemeni armed forces have blown up two armored vehicles of Saudi soldiers in attacks on the kingdom's southern border regions.
- Yemeni forces, allies hit Saudi military base with ballistic missile Press TV 01 Apr 2018 -- Yemeni army forces, supported by allied fighters from Popular Committees, have fired a domestically-manufactured ballistic missile at a military base in Saudi Arabia's southwestern border region of Jizan in retaliation for the Saudi regime's military campaign against the crisis-hit country, Yemeni media report.
- US retreat from Syria indicates regional countries' unity: Turkish official IRNA 01 Apr 2018 -- US withdrawal from Syria in the coming days is the result of the unity among Iran, Russia, Turkey, Iraq and Syria, President of Turkey's Patriotic Party said.
- Syria Army declares full victory in Eastern Ghouta IRNA 01 Apr 2018 -- The Syrian army declared full victory against terrorist organizations in Eastern Ghouta, hailing the military achievement as a 'crushing blow' to the Wahhabi anti-Syria scheme.
- Takfiri militants begin leaving last bastion in Eastern Ghouta Press TV 01 Apr 2018 -- Foreign-sponsored Takfiri militants have started leaving their last bastion in the Eastern Ghouta enclave on the outskirts of the Syrian capital Damascus as part of a deal reached between the extremists and Syrian government forces through Russia's mediation.
- Final deal reached on evacuation of militants, civilians from Syria's Douma: Monitor Press TV 01 Apr 2018 -- A Russian-brokered agreement has been finalized to evacuate militants from Douma, the last terrorist bastion in Syria's Eastern Ghouta, a UK-based monitor sympathetic to anti-Damascus elements says.
- Russia Says 41,000 Rebels Evacuated From Eastern Ghouta RFE/RL 01 Apr 2018 -- More than 41,000 rebels and their family members have left eastern Ghouta as Syrian government forces and their allies consolidate power in the region, a Russian general has said.
- Deal Reached To Evacuate Rebels From Syria's Douma RFE/RL 01 Apr 2018 -- A final deal has been reached for Syrian rebel fighters and their families to leave the last opposition-held area of eastern Ghouta, paving the way for the government to recapture all of the one-time rebel enclave near Damascus.
- Russian Military Strikes Preliminary Deal to Withdraw Jaysh Islam From E Ghouta Sputnik 01 Apr 2018 -- On Saturday, the Syrian army command announced that the government forces had liberated all the towns and cities in the embattled Damascus suburb except for the city of Douma which remained under the control of militants.
- Evacuation of Failaq al-Rahman Militants From E Ghouta Finished - Russian MoD Sputnik 01 Apr 2018 -- The humanitarian operation on the evacuation of the Failaq al-Rahman militant group from Eastern Ghouta has successfully finished, the Russian center for Syrian reconciliation said Sunday.
- Daesh 'vampire' killed in western Iraq IRNA 01 Apr 2018 -- One of the ringleaders of the Daesh terrorist group (ISIS) nicknamed 'vampire' was killed in an operation in Al Anbar, western Iraq.
- 'Daesh butcher,' 9 aides killed in counter-terrorism operation in Iraq's Anbar Press TV 01 Apr 2018 -- Iraqi security forces have launched a counter-terrorism in the desert region of the western province of Anbar, and killed a high-ranking member of Daesh Takfiri militant group as government troops and allied fighters from Popular Mobilization Unions are purging the country of the last remnants of the terror outfit.
- Bangladesh begins relocating thousands of Rohingya before monsoon Press TV 01 Apr 2018 -- Bangladesh has begun relocating 100,000 Rohingya Muslim refugees from Myanmar's Rakhine state to safer ground ahead of the monsoon season.
- Israeli forces injure dozens of Palestinians in fresh Gaza protests Press TV 01 Apr 2018 -- Israeli troops have wounded 49 Palestinians during fresh anti-occupation mass rallies in the Gaza Strip amid global outrage over Tel Aviv's use of force that marked the most violent day in the blockaded coastal sliver in recent years.
- US blocks UN Security Council statement on Israel violence in Gaza Press TV 01 Apr 2018 -- The US has blocked a UN Security Council statement on Israel's use of deadly force against Palestinians commemorating Land Day in Gaza.
- US blocks UNSC motion on Gaza Strip events IRNA 01 Apr 2018 -- The US on Saturday prevented adoptionof a statement in the United Nations Security Council (UNSC) against the Zionist regime of Israel.
- Israel snubs calls for independent investigation into Gaza deaths Press TV 01 Apr 2018 -- Israel has rejected calls for an independent investigation after the Tel Aviv regime's acts of aggression along the border fence with the Gaza Strip claimed the lives of at least 17 Palestinians and injured more than 1,400 others.
- Dozens of Palestinians Injured in Fresh Clashes on Israeli-Gaza Border Sputnik 01 Apr 2018 -- According to the Palestinian Health Ministry, the Israeli forces have opened fire at protesters in different cities in the Gaza Strip, including Jabalia, Rafah, Khan Yunis and Beit Hanoun.
- Netanyahu, Erdogan Exchange Barbs Amid Ongoing Protests in Gaza Sputnik 01 Apr 2018 -- The leaders of Israel and Turkey have engaged in a war of words over the actions of Israeli soldiers, who have killed 16 Palestinians during the recent clashes on the Gaza border.
- Palestinians Bury Their Dead, Call For 'Revenge' VOA 01 Apr 2018 -- The United States blocked a U.N. Security Council motion Saturday calling for an investigation into Israel's use of live ammunition against Palestinians participating in a mass protest along the Gaza Strip, according to a Security Council diplomat who told the French News Agency.
- 6 militants, 2 Egyptian soldiers killed in Sinai: Army Press TV 01 Apr 2018 -- At least six militants and two Egyptian soldiers have been killed during a sweeping operation against the Daesh Takfiri terrorist group in the Sinai Peninsula.
- 18 Killed in Violent Clashes in Indian Kashmir VOA 01 Apr 2018 -- Eighteen people have been killed in three separate incidents Sunday as Indian troops conducted counterinsurgency operations in Indian Kashmir.
- Indian soldiers 'kill 8 militants' in Kashmir Press TV 01 Apr 2018 -- Eight militants have reportedly been killed in separate gun battles with Indian forces in the Himalayan region of Kashmir.
- Two Killed, 50 Injured in Clashes With Indian Forces in Kashmir - Reports Sputnik 01 Apr 2018 -- At least two civilians have been killed and about 50 injured in the disputed Jammu and Kashmir state as a result of protests which broke out following a massive counterterrorism operation of Indian security forces across the region, local media reported on Sunday.
- Greek Foreign Ministry Dismisses Turkey's Claims to Imia Islets in Aegean Sea Sputnik 01 Apr 2018 -- Greece's Foreign Ministry on Sunday categorically dismissed Turkey's territorial claims to the islets of Imia in the Aegean Sea and stated that Greek sovereignty over the small islands is indisputable.
- Turkey Slams Greece for Inclusion of Disputed Islets in EU Environmental Program Sputnik 01 Apr 2018 -- Ankara strongly condemns Athens for adopting a law which includes Imia (Kardak) and some other islets in the Aegean Sea in the European Union's "Natura 2000" environmental program amid the ongoing territorial disputes between the two countries, Turkish Foreign Ministry spokesman Hami Aksoy said.
- Extremists Attack African Union Base in Southern Somalia VOA 01 Apr 2018 -- Al-Shabab fighters launched coordinated attacks on five military camps in Somalia's Lower Shabelle region, killing at least 12 militants and a civilian, witnesses and officials say.
- Russian Foreign Ministry Releases 13 Questions Addressed to OPCW on Skripal Case Sputnik 01 Apr 2018 -- Earlier, Moscow had sent the two sets of questions regarding the "fabricated" Skripal case to the authorities of the United Kingdom and France
- Trump warns to end NAFTA if Mexico doesn't secure border Press TV 01 Apr 2018 -- US President Donald Trump has warned that he would scrap the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) if Mexico doesn't do more to curb drug and immigration flow to the north of the border, doubling down on the importance of separating the two countries with a wall.
- Trump Warns Mexico About NAFTA Withdrawal If Illegal Migration Issue Not Tackled Sputnik 01 Apr 2018 -- US President Donald Trump has warned about possible withdrawal from the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) unless Mexico takes effective steps against illegal migration.
- Sierra Leone Counts Presidential Runoff Votes VOA 01 Apr 2018 -- In Sierra Leone, ballot counting is underway for the presidential runoff election.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|