30 March 2018 Military News
- Strikes Continue Against ISIS in Syria, Iraq AFPS 30 Mar 2018 -- Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve and its partners continued to strike Islamic State of Iraq and Syria targets in designated parts of Syria and Iraq between March 23-29, conducting 11 strikes consisting of 12 engagements, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials reported today.
- US Steps Up Protection for Coalition Forces in Northern Syria's Manbij VOA 30 Mar 2018 -- As part of the global coalition against Islamic State, the United States this week increased its special operations troops in the flashpoint town of Manbij in northern Syria.
- US and British troops killed in Syria: Officials Press TV 30 Mar 2018 -- Two members of the US-led coalition in Syria, one British and another one American, have been killed in an improvised explosive device attack, according to official statements.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Marine Corps Commandant Looks to Improve Readiness AFPS 30 Mar 2018 -- During an Atlantic Council "Commanders Series" here yesterday, the Marine Corps commandant discussed the Corps' plans to have a trained force ready to face any future adversary.
- Exercise Obangame Express 2018 Starts AFPS 30 Mar 2018 -- Exercise Obangame Express 2018, which is sponsored by U.S. Africa Command, is designed to improve regional cooperation, maritime domain awareness, information-sharing practices, and tactical interdiction expertise to enhance the collective capabilities of Gulf of Guinea and West African nations to counter sea-based illicit activity.
- Latvian Joint Terminal Attack Controller course builds partnership, reinforces capability Army News 30 Mar 2018 -- The Latvian National Armed Forces (NAF) Land Force Infantry Brigade Tactical Air Control Party (TACP) held their annual qualification development course March 20 -- 29, 2018, at the Latvian Defense Academy, Riga, Latvia for both certified Joint Terminal Attack Controllers (JTACs) and candidates for this position. This year, the ten-day academic refresher course -- which meets the annual Joint Fires core competency requirements -- is being attended by JTACs from Latvia, Lithuania, Estonia, Canada, United Kingdom, Poland, Italy, Spain, and Slovenia.
- Indiana Guard trains in Toxic Lance with Slovakian partners Army News 30 Mar 2018 -- Approximately 20 Indiana National Guard members took part in an international exercise, known as Toxic Lance, in Slovakia in March.
- Mine Countermeasures Exercise Dynamic Move Wraps Up in Belgium NNS 30 Mar 2018 -- San Diego-based Mine Countermeasures Division (MCMDIV) 31, the tactical planning staff attached to Commander, Mine Countermeasures Squadron (COMCMRON) 3, successfully completed the annual multinational exercise Dynamic Move March 29.
- Navy Helps in Laysan Albatross Translocation NNS 30 Mar 2018 -- The return of a Layson albatross to the James Campbell National Wildlife Refuge March 26 is evidence of successful milestone in a long-term project co-sponsored by the Navy to relocate the endangered seabirds - from eggs to adults - to a healthier habitat.
- Sen. Elizabeth Warren Visits Ronald Reagan NNS 30 Mar 2018 -- Sen. Elizabeth Warren, D-Mass., visited the Navy's forward-deployed aircraft carrier USS Ronald Reagan (CVN 76) March 27.
- Air Force Secretary Wilson highlights space mission at AFA breakfast AFNS 30 Mar 2018 -- Secretary of the Air Force Heather Wilson discussed the importance of space pertaining to national security during an Air Force Association Breakfast March 30, 2018, in Washington, D.C.
- Greece's Defense Chief Says Armenia Faces Common Threats RFE/RL 30 Mar 2018 -- Armenia and Greece are facing common security challenges and threats, Greece's visiting minister for national defense, Panos Kammenos, has said.
- Russia test-launches Sarmat intercontinental ballistic missile Press TV 30 Mar 2018 -- Russia has successfully test-launched the massive Sarmat intercontinental ballistic missile (ICBM) from Plesetsk cosmodrome in Mirny, Arkhangelsk Oblast, about 800 kilometers north of Moscow.
- Macron pledges support for Kurdish militants in Syria, infuriates Turkey Press TV 30 Mar 2018 -- French President Emmanuel Macron has promised support for US-backed Kurdish militants in northern Syria, which has been the target of a Turkish offensive, prompting Ankara to angrily slam the offer as "clear support for terrorists."
- Syrian army forces arrest bombers disguised as civilians leaving Eastern Ghouta Press TV 30 Mar 2018 -- Syrian government forces have arrested dozens of bombers, who were sneaking among civilians leaving the Eastern Ghouta region on the outskirts of the capital Damascus and heading towards the humanitarian exit corridors set up by the army.
- Syrian TV: Deal nearly reached for militants to leave Douma Press TV 30 Mar 2018 -- There are contradictory reports about foreign-backed militants in the Eastern Ghouta town of Douma near Damascus having agreed to leave to the northwestern region of Idlib.
- Russia: Syria Now Controls Most Of Embattled Damascus Suburb RFE/RL 30 Mar 2018 -- Syrian and Russian forces have evacuated most remaining rebels from eastern Ghouta and the government now controls 90 percent of the embattled Damascus suburb, Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov has said.
- Daesh says behind car bombing in Libya's Ajdabiya city Press TV 30 Mar 2018 -- Daesh Takfiri group has claimed responsibility for a terrorist car bombing in the northeastern Libyan city of Ajdabiya that killed nine people, including civilians.
- Win Myint sworn in as Myanmar's new president, vows to prioritize rule of law, peace Press TV 30 Mar 2018 -- Win Myint was sworn in as Myanmar's new President, pledging to give priority to the rule of law, peace and reconciliation.
- Guterres welcomes successful wrap up of long-running UN peacekeeping mission in Liberia UN News 30 Mar 2018 -- Secretary-General António Guterres has welcomed the successful conclusion of the mandate of the United Nations Mission in Liberia (UNMIL), which officially closed its doors on Friday, and congratulated the West African country's people and Government for turning the page on crisis and conflict.
- Palestinian Authority: At Least 15 Palestinians Killed in Gaza Mass Demonstration VOA 30 Mar 2018 -- At least 15 Palestinians were killed and hundreds of others injured Friday by Israeli security forces along the Israel-Gaza border, the Palestinian Health Ministry said.
- Israeli forces kill 16 Palestinian protesters on Gaza border Press TV 30 Mar 2018 -- Palestinian medical officials say at least 16 Palestinians have lost their lives and more than a thousand others sustained injuries when Israeli military forces opened fire on thousands of protesters, who have flocked to a sit-in near the border fence between the Gaza Strip and occupied Palestinian territories.
- UN chief calls for probe into deadly clashes along Israel-Gaza border UN News 30 Mar 2018 -- United Nations Secretary-General António Guterres has called for an independent and transparent investigation into clashes at the Gaza fence on Friday between Palestinians participating in the 'Great Return March' and Israeli security forces which resulted in at least 15 deaths and a large number of injured.
- UN Envoy Sees Progress In Macedonia Name-Dispute Talks, Issues Remain RFE/RL 30 Mar 2018 -- A United Nations negotiator leading talks to end a decades-old dispute over Macedonia's name says progress is being made between Greek and Macedonian officials but difficult issues remain.
- Border Agency Clarifies Building, Location of Border Wall VOA 30 Mar 2018 -- On Wednesday, President Donald Trump tweeted: "Great briefing this afternoon on the start of our Southern Border WALL!"
- Russia to expel 60 U.S. diplomats, close U.S. consulate in St. Petersburg People's Daily 30 Mar 2018 -- Russia will expel 60 U.S. diplomats and shut the U.S. consulate general in St. Petersburg in tit-for-tat retaliation for Washington's moves against Moscow over an ex-spy incident, the Russian Foreign Ministry said Thursday.
- Moscow Summons Ambassadors From Countries That Expelled Russian Diplomats RFE/RL 30 Mar 2018 -- Russia has served expulsion notices to a slew of staff in Western embassies in a diplomatic tit-for-tat ignited by the poisoning of an ex-spy in Britain.
- Kim's visit highlights China's central role in denuclearizing Korean Peninsula People's Daily 30 Mar 2018 -- The recent visit to Beijing by Kim Jong Un, the leader of the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK), has reaffirmed China's central role in denuclearizing the Korean Peninsula.
- UN blacklists dozens of ships, companies over North Korea links Press TV 30 Mar 2018 -- The United Nations Security Council (UNSC) has blacklisted dozens of vessels and shipping companies accused of helping North Korea circumvent sanctions, exerting further pressure on Pyongyang at a time when North's leader Kim Jong-un plans to meet with the South Korean and US presidents in coming months.
- The Strangely Boring Visit Of Iran's President To Turkmenistan RFE/RL 30 Mar 2018 -- Iranian President Hassan Rohani visited Turkmenistan on March 27-28 to meet with Turkmen President Gurbanguly Berdymukhammedov.
- Alleged Russian Hacker Nikulin Pleads Not Guilty After Extradition To U.S. RFE/RL 30 Mar 2018 -- A Russian hacker who allegedly stole data and is wanted by both Washington and Moscow has pleaded not guilty to the charges at a court in San Francisco after being extradited to the United States from the Czech Republic.
- Kosovo's PM Fires Interior Minister, Secret Police Chief RFE/RL 30 Mar 2018 -- Kosovar Prime Minister Ramush Haradinaj has dismissed the interior minister and the secret-service chief after the arrest and deportation to Turkey of six Turkish nationals a day earlier.
- Maryland Man Sentenced to 20 Years in Prison for Providing Material Support to ISIS and Terrorism Financing US Dept. of Justice 30 Mar 2018 -- Mohamed Elshinawy, 32, of Edgewood, Maryland, was sentenced today to 20 years in prison, to be followed by 15 years of supervised release, for conspiracy to provide material support to the Islamic State of Iraq and al-Sham (ISIS), a designated foreign terrorist organization; providing and attempting to provide material support to ISIS; terrorism financing; and making false statements in connection with a terrorism matter.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|