23 March 2018 Military News
- OIF / OND / OEF / OIR / OFS Casualty Update 23 Mar 2018 [PDF]
- OIR Officials Report Details of Latest Strikes Against ISIS in Syria, Iraq AFPS 23 Mar 2018 -- Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve and its partners continued to strike Islamic State of Iraq and Syria targets in designated parts of Syria and Iraq between March 16-22, conducting 14 strikes consisting of 19 engagements, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials reported today.
- Dunford Encouraged by Afghan, Coalition Efforts in Afghanistan AFPS 23 Mar 2018 -- The chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff completed an extensive visit to Afghanistan, and leaves encouraged by the Afghan and coalition military potential in the country.
- Army Committed to Restoring Puerto Rico's Power AFPS 23 Mar 2018 -- Six months after Hurricane Maria made landfall here, the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers remains committed to safely and urgently restoring reliable power and returning normalcy to the U.S. citizens of Puerto Rico as quickly as possible.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Statement from the Press Secretary Regarding Service by Transgender Individuals in the Military The White House 23 Mar 2018
- Trump, Mattis Hail Spending Bill to Fund Strongest Military Ever AFPS 23 Mar 2018 -- The $1.3 trillion spending bill President Donald J. Trump signed today includes the largest military budget in history, reversing years of decline and unpredictable funding, Defense Secretary James N. Mattis said at the White House.
- Army Aviators test new system to modernize Black Hawk helicopters Army News 23 Mar 2018 -- To enhance Army battlefield lethality, UH-60A/L Black Hawk helicopter pilots recently tested technology which could drastically change how Black Hawk Army aircrews plan and execute missions.
- Initial prototypes for Next-Gen Combat Vehicle to focus on manned-unmanned teaming Army News 23 Mar 2018 -- As the Army drives toward a Next-Generation Combat Vehicle capability, leaders have outlined plans to test key features that could one day allow a Soldier to control several robotic fighting vehicles at once.
- Navy to Commission New Guided-Missile Destroyer Ralph Johnson NNS 23 Mar 2018 -- The Navy will commission its newest guided-missile destroyer, the future USS Ralph Johnson (DDG 114), during a 10 a.m. EDT ceremony Saturday, March 24, at Columbus Street Pier in Charleston, South Carolina.
- Lake Champlain Stops in Hawaii NNS 23 Mar 2018 -- Guided-missile cruiser USS Lake Champlain (CG 57) arrived in Hawaii for a scheduled port visit, March 22.
- Into the Fold: F-35C Carrier Qualifications Aboard Lincoln NNS 23 Mar 2018 -- Nimitz-class aircraft carrier USS Abraham Lincoln (CVN 72) completed fleet carrier qualifications (CQ) for the F-35C Lightning II program, marking another milestone for the new aircraft, while underway March 17-21.
- Theodore Roosevelt Supports OIR and OFS in U.S. 5th Fleet NNS 23 Mar 2018 -- The aircraft carrier USS Theodore Roosevelt (CVN 71) and the ships of Carrier Strike Group (CSG) 9 have performed a vital role in Operations Inherent Resolve (OIR) and Operation Freedom's Sentinel (OFS) since December within the U.S. 5th Fleet area of operations.
- Guardsmen Help Combat Coastal Erosion in New Orleans AFPS 23 Mar 2018 -- The Louisiana Army National Guard's 1st Assault Helicopter Battalion, 244th Aviation Regiment; and Forward Support Company, 205th Engineer Battalion, supported the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service during the annual Christmas Tree Drop at Bayou Sauvage National Wildlife Refuge in New Orleans East, March 14.
- 23 March 2018 - Daily Press Briefing by the Office of the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General United Nations 23 Mar 2018
- Security Council can and must do more to break the link between conflict and hunger, says UN relief officials UN News 23 Mar 2018 -- Hunger is on the rise worldwide mainly because "people won't stop shooting at each other," the head of the United Nations food relief agency said Friday, telling the Security Council that if it did more to break the link between conflict and hunger, countless lives could be saved.
- Liberia prepares to turn a page as UN mission exits UN News 23 Mar 2018 -- As the United Nations peacekeeping mission wraps up in Liberia and the West African country looks to secure a stable future, the UN deputy chief on Friday cautioned the Government that while it has made great strides, the road ahead will be challenging.
- Trump Names Bolton, A Hawk On Iran And North Korea, As Top Security Adviser RFE/RL 23 Mar 2018 -- U.S. President Donald Trump is replacing national security adviser H.R. McMaster with former UN Ambassador John Bolton, an outspoken hawk who has advocated using military force against Iran and North Korea.
- EU Vows More Measures Against Russia Over Nerve-Agent Attack RFE/RL 23 Mar 2018 -- European Union member states have agreed at a summit in Brussels to take additional punitive measures against Russia for a nerve-agent attack in Britain.
- Basking In Big Official Win, Putin Urges Unity, Blasts 'Irresponsible Populism' RFE/RL 23 Mar 2018 -- President Vladimir Putin has thanked voters for their "unprecedented support" and urged Russians to put political differences aside in the name of progress, addressing the country moments after election officials formally declared him the winner of the March 18 election.
- Nine Iranians Charged With Conducting Massive Cyber Theft Campaign on Behalf of the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps US Dept. of Justice 23 Mar 2018 -- An Indictment charging Gholamreza Rafatnejad, 38; Ehsan Mohammadi, 37; Abdollah Karima, aka Vahid Karima, 39; Mostafa Sadeghi, 28; Seyed Ali Mirkarimi, 34; Mohammed Reza Sabahi, 26; Roozbeh Sabahi, 24; Abuzar Gohari Moqadam, 37; and Sajjad Tahmasebi, 30, all citizens and residents of Iran, was unsealed today.
- Treasury Sanctions Iranian Cyber Actors for Malicious Cyber-Enabled Activities Targeting Hundreds of Universities US Treasury 23 Mar 2018 -- Today, in a coordinated action with the U.S. Department of Justice, the U.S. Department of the Treasury's Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) designated one Iranian entity and 10 Iranian individuals under Executive Order (E.O.) 13694, "Blocking the Property of Certain Persons Engaging in Significant Malicious Cyber-Enabled Activities," as amended.
- Kyiv Court Orders Two-Month Pretrial Detention For Savchenko RFE/RL 23 Mar 2018 -- A Ukrainian court has authorized the detention in pretrial custody of lawmaker Nadia Savchenko, a celebrated former military pilot accused of plotting a terrorist attack on parliament with grenades and automatic weapons.
- Deputy Secretary Sullivan's Meeting With Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman US Dept. of State 23 Mar 2018
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|