03 March 2018 Military News
- As US Forces Struggle to Hold Territory in Somalia, Peacekeepers Continue Exodus Sputnik 03 Mar 2018 -- A US senator has revealed that Washington is struggling with its mission to break militant group al-Shabab's hold on Somalia.
Defense Policy / Programs
- US plans to deploy 400 anti-ballistic missiles on Russia's doorstep: Russian official Press TV 03 Mar 2018 -- A Russian defense official says the United States is planning to deploy some 400 anti-ballistic missiles on Russia's doorstep as part of its military buildup in Eastern Europe.
- Iraq 'will never allow US bases on its soil' Press TV 03 Mar 2018 -- Iraq says it will under no circumstances permit the United States to build permanent military bases on its soil, which would be a violation of its sovereignty.
- N Korea Continues to Make Progress on Missile Program - US Intelligence Sputnik 03 Mar 2018 -- US intelligence assessment of North Korea's nuclear ballistic missile program shows that Pyongyang is further making progress on its development, local media reported citing a US administration official.
- Defense issues Iran's redline: Top official IRNA 03 Mar 2018 -- Top Iranian official criticized certain European countries for their remarks against Iran's missile programs and noted that commenting on Iranian defense program is none of their business.
- Annihilating US nuke weapons, Iran's missile negotiations pre-conditions IRNA 03 Mar 2018 -- Destroying US nuclear weapons and the long-range missiles are Iran's pre-conditions for holding talks on missile programs, Armed Forces spokesman General Masoud Jazayeri said.
- Iran air defense system nightmare for enemies: Comdr IRNA 03 Mar 2018 -- The Iranian air defense system Bavar-373, which has a higher quality than S-300, has turned into a nightmare for the enemies, said the commander of the Iranian Air Defense Force.
- No missile talks unless US, Europe give up their nuclear weapons: Gen. Jazayeri ISNA 03 Mar 2018 -- Deputy Chief of Staff of Iran's Armed Forces stressed on Saturday that there can be no talks on Iran's missile programme unless the United States and the European countries destroy their nuclear weapons and long-range missiles.
- Iran's defense program none of France's concern: Velayati Press TV 03 Mar 2018 -- A senior Iranian official says the Islamic Republic's defense program is no concern of other countries, following the meddlesome stance adopted by France on Iran's military and missile power.
- Iran will not talk missiles unless US, Europe destroy nukes, long-range missiles: Commander Press TV 03 Mar 2018 -- A senior Iranian military commander says the Islamic Republic will hold no negotiations over its missile program unless the United States and Europe dismantle their nuclear weapons and long-range missiles.
- Tehran Rules Out Missiles Talks Until US, Europe Destroy Their Nukes Sputnik 03 Mar 2018 -- The Iranian military's spokesman has commented on US President Donald Trump's threat to scrap the 2015 Iran Nuclear on the pretext of Tehran developing its missile program.
- Taipei Set to Boost Military Spending, Cites Threats From China, North Korea Sputnik 03 Mar 2018 -- Taiwan's Prime Minister Lai Ching-te named North Korea's nuclear program and China's military exercises in the South China Sea as among the main threats to stability in the Asia-Pacific region.
- Turkish warplanes kill at least 36 Syrian pro-government forces in Afrin: SOHR Press TV 03 Mar 2018 -- Turkish warplanes have killed at least 36 pro-Syrian government forces in their airstrikes on Syria's northwestern Kurdish region of Afrin, a monitoring group affiliated to Syria's foreign-based opposition groups says.
- 41 Turkish troops killed during operation in north Syria: Minister Press TV 03 Mar 2018 -- Ankara says 41 of its soldiers have been killed in Syria's northwestern region of Afrin, where the Turkish military has been engaged in a ground operation against US-backed Kurdish militants for more than a month.
- Turkish Forces, Free Syrian Army Reportedly Capture Town of Rajo Near Afrin Sputnik 03 Mar 2018 -- Fierce fighting near a town located to the northwest of the embattled city of Afrin was ongoing as the Turkish armed forces launched the second phase of operation Olive Branch, aimed at the elimination of Kurdish armed factions in northern Syria that Ankara considers to be terrorists.
- Monitor: Turkish Airstrikes Kill 36 Pro-Syrian Government Fighters VOA 03 Mar 2018 -- Turkish warplanes attacked pro-Syrian government forces Saturday in Syria's northwestern Kurdish enclave of Afrin, killing at least 36 fighters, according to the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights.
- US-led coalition warplanes pound northeastern Syria, kill scores of civilians Press TV 03 Mar 2018 -- Scores of civilians have lost their lives or sustained injuries when the US-led coalition purportedly fighting the Daesh Takfiri terrorist group carried out a series of aerial assaults in Syria's northeastern province of Hasakah.
- 'Syrian forces advancing methodically in Eastern Ghouta' Press TV 03 Mar 2018 -- A Syrian commander reportedly says pro-government forces are advancing methodically against militants in the Damascus suburb of Eastern Ghouta, which anti-Damascus militants have been using to launch attacks on civilians in the Syrian capital.
- U.S., European Powers Warn 'No Impunity' For Toxic Gas Attacks In Syria RFE/RL 03 Mar 2018 -- The United States and European powers are vowing a "firm response" to those responsible for recent alleged toxic gas attacks in Syria's eastern Ghouta, where hundreds of civilians have died in recent weeks.
- Russian Military: Terrorists Breach Ceasefire Regime in Syria Sputnik 03 Mar 2018 -- Militants' snipers keep targeting the crossing in Syria's eastern Ghouta, preventing civilians from leaving, the head of the Russian center for Syrian reconciliation, Maj. Gen. Yury Yevtushenko said Saturday.
- Syrian Authorities Give UN Green Light to Deliver Aid to Eastern Ghouta VOA 03 Mar 2018 -- United Nations aid agencies are gearing up for the first delivery in months of desperately needed humanitarian assistance to thousands of people trapped in the besieged Syrian enclave of Eastern Ghouta. Syrian authorities finally have given permission for the U.N. convoy to enter the enclave's town of Douma on Sunday.
- Over two dozen Daesh members killed, arrested in army operation west of Mosul Press TV 03 Mar 2018 -- Iraqi media reports say more than two dozen Daesh terrorists have been killed and arrested in an army operation west of Mosul, which was once the Takfiri terror group's main stronghold in the Arab country.
- Burkina Faso President Urges Public to Cooperate With Military After Twin Attacks VOA 03 Mar 2018 -- Burkina Faso President Roch Kabore urged the public Saturday to cooperate more closely with the country's military, one day after an armed group carried out coordinated attacks on France's embassy and cultural center and on the West African country's military headquarters in the capital of Ouagadougou.
- UN chief, Security Council, strongly condemn Burkina Faso terrorist attacks UN News 03 Mar 2018 -- The two deadly terrorist attacks in Burkina Faso's capital, Ougadougou, on Friday have been strongly condemned by the United Nations.
- Putin Demands Evidence Of Guilt Of Russians Accused Of Meddling In U.S. RFE/RL 03 Mar 2018 -- President Vladimir Putin said Russia won't take action against Russians accused of meddling in the U.S. presidential election if they did not break Russian laws.
- Russia's Putin urges Washington to send hard evidence for meddling allegations Press TV 03 Mar 2018 -- Russian President Vladimir Putin has called on the US to send him hard evidence that some Russians purportedly interfered in the 2016 US presidential election in favor of incumbent American President Donald Trump, mocking accusations to date as "yelling and hollering in the United States Congress."
- Mueller probing whether Kushner's business ties influenced US policy Press TV 03 Mar 2018 -- US federal investigators are probing whether Jared Kushner's business talks with foreigners influenced the policies adopted by the administration of his father-in-law, President Donald Trump.
- Russia slams extended US sanctions as illegal, harmful to world Press TV 03 Mar 2018 -- Russia has slammed US sanctions against the country as illegal and harmful to the world after Washington extended embargoes against Moscow over the Ukrainian crisis.
- Putin Says He'd Reverse Collapse Of Soviet Union If He Could RFE/RL 03 Mar 2018 -- Russian President Vladimir Putin said he would reverse the collapse of the Soviet Union if he had a chance to change Russian history, Russian news agencies reported.
- Putin Promises Russian 'Victories' At Campaign Rally At Moscow Stadium RFE/RL 03 Mar 2018 -- Incumbent President Vladimir Putin has held a campaign rally at a major Moscow sports arena, promising "victories" for Russia in remarks to a supportive audience 15 days before an election that seems certain to hand him a new six-year term.
- Kremlin: US Sanctions Against Russia Harm Entire World Sputnik 03 Mar 2018 -- Following the extension of anti-Moscow sanctions by the United States for another year over the alleged meddling in the Ukrainian crisis, Russian presidential press secretary Dmitry Peskov commented on the move.
- China's top political advisory body starts annual session People's Daily 03 Mar 2018 -- China's top political advisory body started its annual session Saturday afternoon in Beijing, vowing to take on new mission for the country's goal toward a "great modern socialist country."
- China pursues world peace, common development in international agenda People's Daily 03 Mar 2018 -- As President Xi Jinping's concept of "building a community with a shared future for humanity" gains ground internationally, China will attach more importance to the five-year-old notion, with a view to finding an ultimate way to world peace.
- 'Sharp power' accusations seen as unfair ploy to tarnish China's image People's Daily 03 Mar 2018 -- Double standards and Cold War-era thinking are behind the recent voices alleging that China is boosting its publicity worldwide in order to impose "sharp power" on others, a spokesman for China's top political advisory body said.
- DPRK Foreign Ministry Spokesman on DPRK-U.S. Dialogue KCNA 03 Mar 2018 -- The spokesperson for the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the DPRK gave the following answer to a question put by KCNA on March 3 as regards the attitude of the United States taken after we have stated our intention for DPRK-U.S. dialogue:
- North Korea vows to 'counter' US over military drills with South Press TV 03 Mar 2018 -- North Korea has warned that it would "counter the US by its own mode of counteraction" if Washington holds joint military exercises with Seoul.
- China delays US request against North Korea at UN Security Council Press TV 03 Mar 2018 -- China has postponed a US request for a UN Security Council committee to blacklist dozens of ships, companies and a Taiwanese individual over violation of sanctions against North Korea.
- Pyongyang Warns It Will 'Counter US' if It Holds Joint Drills With Seoul VOA 03 Mar 2018 -- North Korea warned Saturday it would respond if the U.S. holds joint military drills next month with South Korea, contending they would hinder a recent thaw in relations between the two Koreas.
- FM spokesman rejects UN report on human rights situation in Iran ISNA 03 Mar 2018 -- Iranian foreign ministry spokesman Bahram Qassemi has strongly dismissed as "invalid and worthless" the latest report by the UN secretary general on human rights situation in Iran.
- Iran ready for US withdrawal from nuclear deal: Envoy IRNA 03 Mar 2018 -- Iran is ready for the US potential withdrawal from the nuclear deal reached between Iran and the G5+1 (US, UK, France, China, Russia plus Germany) in 2015.
- Sharif's Party Reportedly Gains Control Of Pakistani Senate RFE/RL 03 Mar 2018 -- Reports from Pakistan say the ruling Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz (PML-N) party gained control of parliament's upper house in a secret ballot on March 3.
- Alleged Russian Hacker To Be Sent Where Worst Crimes Committed, Czech Minister Says RFE/RL 03 Mar 2018 -- Czech Justice Minister Robert Pelikan has said he will decide whether to extradite alleged Russian hacker Yevgeny Nikulin to the United States or Russia based primarily on where the most serious crimes were committed.
- China vows deeper friendship with Taiwan amid fury over US bill Press TV 03 Mar 2018 -- A senior official of China's ruling Communist Party has pledged deeper friendship with Taiwan just a day after state media warned that Beijing could wage a war on the self-ruled island if the US enacts a bill urging closer ties with Taipei.
- 13 people detained in Turkey for opposing Afrin operation Press TV 03 Mar 2018 -- Turkish forces have arrested more than a dozen people over their vehement opposition to the Ankara government's military operation in Syria's northwestern region of Afrin against the Kurdish People's Protection Units (YPG) militant group.
- Ukraine 'Stabilizes' Gas Supply Amid Fresh Energy Dispute With Russia RFE/RL 03 Mar 2018 -- Ukrainian President Petro Poroshenko says gas deliveries to Ukraine have "stabilized" after Russian gas giant Gazprom halted gas supplies to the country earlier this week in the latest energy dispute between the two countries.
- Egypt's top court waives all legal challenges to islands' transfer to Saudi Arabia Press TV 03 Mar 2018 -- Egypt's top court has dismissed all outstanding legal challenges to a controversial deal according to which Cairo cedes sovereignty of two of its Red Sea islands to Saudi Arabia, Egypt's top benefactor, a day before a visit by the Arab kingdom's Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman to the African country.
- Venezuela, opposition agree to delay presidential election, respect results Press TV 03 Mar 2018 -- The Venezuelan government and a number of opposition parties have reached an agreement, which postponed the presidential election by less than a month and requires the contenders to respect the results.
- Bahraini police arrest 116 'terror' cell members Press TV 03 Mar 2018 -- Bahraini police have arrested 116 people over allegations of links to terrorism as the ruling Al Khalifah regime presses ahead with its heavy-handed clampdown on political dissidents.
- Bahrain Says Raids Shut Down Militant Network Created By Iran RFE/RL 03 Mar 2018 -- Pro-EU parliamentary leaders from Moldova, Ukraine, and Georgia say the continued presence of Russian troops in their countries is destabilizing.
- Experts to US Lawmakers: Women Are Untapped Resource in Countering Extremism VOA 03 Mar 2018 -- The role of women and their potential in countering extremism around the world is often overlooked and underestimated, a group of experts told U.S. lawmakers this week.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|