04 February 2018 Military News
Defense Policy / Programs
- China, Iran, Russia Lash Out At U.S. Nuclear Policy Plan RFE/RL 04 Feb 2018 -- Russia, Iran, and China have strongly criticized Washington's newly revealed policy plan to expand U.S. nuclear weapons capabilities in order to deter other countries.
- Moscow Identifies Reasons Behind New US Nuclear Doctrine Sputnik 04 Feb 2018 -- Moscow Will Have to Take US Policies into Account
- China: Who's a nuclear menace? Us or US? Press TV 04 Feb 2018 -- China has expressed firm opposition to a recent US government report describing Beijing as a potential nuclear rival, also calling on Washington to reduce its much larger nuclear arsenal and join in efforts to promote regional stability.
- Chinese MoD Calls US Assumptions About Country's Nuclear Development Absurd Sputnik 04 Feb 2018 -- The Chinese Defense Ministry expressed its objection on Sunday to the "absurd" assumptions made in the US Nuclear Posture Review about the country's plans to increase its nuclear weapons capability.
- Saudi jets kill civilians; Yemeni snipers take out soldiers Press TV 04 Feb 2018 -- Extremely graphic footage has emerged, showing a charred body and heart-wrenching injuries after Saudi Arabian warplanes attack civilians in Yemen's west-central Sana'a Province.
- Turkey cautions US troops against being targeted in Syria Press TV 04 Feb 2018 -- Turkey has warned that American soldiers risk being targeted in northwestern Syria as the Turkish military pushes ahead with its offensive against Kurdish militants supported by the United States in the Arab country.
- Erdogan Says Syria Operation Not Designed To Capture Territory RFE/RL 04 Feb 2018 -- Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has told France's Emmanuel Macron that Turkey's military operation inside Syria is aimed at purging "terror elements" and not designed to permanently take Syrian territory.
- 7 Turkish Soldiers Killed in Deadliest Day of Syrian Offensive VOA 04 Feb 2018 -- Turkey's military says it has suffered its single deadliest day in its offensive against Syrian militias in northern Syria.
- Russian MPs vow to investigate origin of MANPAD used in downing jet in Syria Press TV 04 Feb 2018 -- Senior Russian lawmakers have urged the country to probe the origin of the man-portable air-defense system (MANPAD), which was reportedly used by Takfiri terrorists to down a Russian jet over Syria.
- Turkish Opposition Calls for Contacts With Damascus to Ensure Peace in Syria Sputnik 04 Feb 2018 -- Kemal Kilicdaroglu, the leader of the Turkish main opposition Republican People's Party on Sunday called on the country's authorities to re-establish contacts with Damascus for ensuring peace and stabilization of the situation in Syria amid the ongoing Turkish military operation in Afrin.
- France Plans to Work With Turkey on Syria 'Road Map' Sputnik 04 Feb 2018 -- Emmanuel Macron's office announced its decision after the French president discussed Turkey's operation against Kurdish People's Protection Units in Syria with Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan during a phone conversation.
- Al-Qaida-linked Group Claims Responsibility for Shooting Down Russian Warplane VOA 04 Feb 2018 -- A Syrian rebel group linked to al-Qaida is claiming responsibility for shooting down a Russian jet near the rebel-held town of Saraqeb, Syria.
- Pentagon: US Has Not Equipped Allies in Syria With Surface-to-Air Weapons Sputnik 04 Feb 2018 -- Terrorist group Tahrir al-Sham, linked to former terrorist Al Qaeda branch in Syria, claims responsibility for shooting down Russian combat jet SU-25 with shoulder-launched anti-aircraft Projectile.
- Israel conducted over 100 airstrikes in Egypt's Sinai: Paper Press TV 04 Feb 2018 -- Israel has reportedly been conducting a years-long campaign of airstrikes in Egypt's Sinai Peninsula with Cairo's blessing.
- Israel Legalizes Outpost in Response to Recent Murder VOA 04 Feb 2018 -- Israel's prime minister says an isolated West Bank outpost will be legalized in response to the recent murder of a rabbi who lived there.
- Trump Claims Republican Memo 'Totally Vindicates' Him In Russia Probe RFE/RL 04 Feb 2018 -- U.S. President Donald Trump is claiming that he has been completely vindicated by a Republican-written congressional memo that alleges the FBI abused its surveillance powers during an investigation of the Trump presidential election campaign's possible ties to Russia.
- Claims and Counterclaims Surround Russia Probe Memo VOA 04 Feb 2018 -- U.S. President Donald Trump is contending that a controversial memo alleging that the FBI abused its power in probing Russian interference in the 2016 presidential election "totally vindicates" him, but that view was challenged Sunday by one of the memo's own authors.
- Costa Rica Voting for New President VOA 04 Feb 2018 -- Costa Rica is voting for a new president Sunday in a campaign roiled by a debate over same-sex-marriage.
- Turkey's Erdogan rejects option of EU partnership, urges full membership Press TV 04 Feb 2018 -- Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan says his country opposes proposals of a partnership with the European Union, emphasizing that Turkey's full membership of the bloc is the only option.
- Might US strike North Korea to help GOP in midterm elections? Press TV 04 Feb 2018 -- A US National Security Council (NSC) official has reportedly suggested that a limited preemptive strike on North Korea could help the Republican Party in the upcoming midterm elections - a claim rebutted by the White House.
- Pyongyang Accuses Trump of Hindering Efforts to Mend Ties With South Sputnik 04 Feb 2018 -- Relations between North and South Koreas have surpassed a stumbling block, with the two countries having held a number of official meeting, following Kim Jong-un's order to restore a hotline between the two countries.
- North Korea to Send High-level Delegation to Winter Olympics in South Korea VOA 04 Feb 2018 -- North Korea's ceremonial head of state will lead a high-level Pyongyang delegation to the Winter Olympics in South Korea later this week, officials in Seoul said Sunday.
- Pence Intent to Counter North Korea's Olympic Charm Offensive VOA 04 Feb 2018 -- U.S. Vice President Mike Pence embarks on a trip this week to Northeast Asia meant to enhance his profile – he plans to visit as many as 10 countries this year – and to help counter North Korea's charm offensive at the Winter Olympics.
- Iran Jails 'Nuclear Spy' For Six Years RFE/RL 04 Feb 2018 -- Tehran's prosecutor says an unnamed person has been sentenced to six years in prison for relaying information about Iran's nuclear program to a U.S. intelligence agent and a European country.
- President Rouhani: We must be strong and powerful Press TV 04 Feb 2018 -- President Hassan Rouhani has lent weight to Iran's defense industry, saying the country has to become strong enough so that no enemy dares to threaten it.
- Top Paris Attacks Suspect on Trial for First Time, in Brussels VOA 04 Feb 2018 -- After nearly two years in solitary confinement at a maximum security jail, the top surviving suspect of the deadliest terror attack in recent French history goes on trial Monday in Brussels.
- Trump urged to stand firm against China on Taiwan issue: report CNA 04 Feb 2018 -- Taiwanese officials and lawmakers are calling on the administration of United States President Donald Trump to step up its support for Taiwan amid increasing political pressure by China, according to a U.S. media report.
- Egypt's presidential race: Why so much controversy? Press TV 04 Feb 2018 -- Candidates have one by one been dropping out of the race; the opposition has boycotted the vote; and the sole challenger to the incumbent president is no more than his staunch supporter. Welcome to Egypt's 2018 presidential election.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|