24 January 2018 Military News
- Over 650 Syrian civilians killed in US-led airstrikes in 40 months: SOHR Press TV 24 Jan 2018 -- A monitoring group says more than 600 children have lost their lives ever since the US-led coalition purportedly fighting the Daesh Takfiri terrorist group started its aerial assaults against residential areas across Syria back in September 2014.
- Pakistan Slams 'Detrimental' U.S. Strike On Haqqani Militants RFE/RL 24 Jan 2018 -- Pakistani officials say a suspected U.S. drone attack on a house near the Afghan border has killed two militants from the extremist Haqqani network.
- Pakistan condemns US drone strike in Kurram region Press TV 24 Jan 2018 -- Pakistani authorities have condemned a "unilateral" move by the United States to bomb areas inside its territory through a drone strike, saying a Wednesday attack which allegedly targeted militant hideouts would further hurt trust between the two countries.
- US drone attack kills three in northwest Pakistan Press TV 24 Jan 2018 -- Three people have been killed in northwestern Pakistan after a house was struck by two missiles fired by a US drone, Pakistani security officials and sources say.
- Pakistan Condemns US Drone Attack on its Soil Sputnik 24 Jan 2018 -- Earlier in January, US State Department spokeswoman Heather Nauert said that the United States was suspending the delivery of military equipment and security aid to Pakistan due to the local authorities' alleged insufficient measures in the fight against terrorist groups.
- Save The Children Offices In Afghanistan Attacked, Two Dead RFE/RL 24 Jan 2018 -- Islamic State militants have stormed the office of international aid agency Save the Children in the eastern Afghan city of Jalalabad, killing at least two people and wounding 12 others.
- US Air Forces Central Command realigns aircraft and airmen to Kandahar Airfield AFNS 24 Jan 2018 -- U.S. Air Forces Central Command has realigned aircraft, Airmen and assets to Kandahar Airfield, Afghanistan, to support increased airpower requirements of Afghan National Defense and Security Forces and U.S. forces tasked to carry out the South Asia Policy under Operation Freedom's Sentinel and the Resolute Support Mission.
- A-10 Warthogs Deploy to Afghanistan to Strike Taliban Drug Facilities Sputnik 24 Jan 2018 -- The US has redeployed a squadron of A-10s to Afghanistan to boost joint efforts against the Taliban, particularly targeting the group's drug facilities.
- Afghanistan: UN chief 'appalled and deeply saddened' by deadly attack on aid partner UN News 24 Jan 2018 -- United Nations Secretary-General António Guterres has spoken out against the fatal attack on the Afghan offices of renowned international non-governmental organization Save the Children, saying that he was "appalled and deeply saddened" by the casualties.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Air Force Successfully Launches New Satellite From Cape Canaveral AFPS 24 Jan 2018 -- The Air Force successfully launched the fourth Space Based Infrared System Geosynchronous Earth Orbit satellite on a United Launch Alliance Atlas V Evolved Expendable launch Vehicle from Space Launch Complex 41 here, Jan 19.
- Sortie support team delivers decisive air power AFNS 24 Jan 2018 -- We often think about all the aircraft involved in delivering cargo, bombs and personnel on the battlefield. The people behind the scenes are often forgotten. These Airmen are responsible for making sure the tools and equipment needed to repair aircraft are accessible and working properly.
- Army strengthens battlefield partnerships with Australian, Pacific partners in mass casualty exercis Army News 24 Jan 2018 -- Exercise! Exercise! Exercise! Coalition forces call out for help as flames burn in the mid-morning light after a simulated gas bottle explosion during a mass casualty training exercise, Jan. 18, 2018.
- Army secretary directs new team to speed up Next-Gen Combat Vehicle program Army News 24 Jan 2018 -- Two of the Army's top leaders reviewed last week a new process to accelerate the Next-Generation Combat Vehicle program amid a massive shift to modernize the entire Army.
- Media Availability by Secretary Mattis En Route to Vietnam DoD 24 Jan 2018 -- Presenter: Secretary of Defense James N. Mattis
- America Amphibious Ready Group Arrives in Hawaii NNS 24 Jan 2018 -- The Sailors and Marines of the America Amphibious Ready Group (ARG)/15th Marine Expeditionary Unit (MEU) arrived at Joint Base Pearl Harbor-Hickam, Hawaii, Jan. 22 and 23, for the final port call of the ARG/MEU's deployment to the Indo-Asia-Pacific, Horn of Africa, Mediterranean, and Middle East.
- Russia successfully tests advanced Mi-171A2 helicopters in extreme cold weather People's Daily 24 Jan 2018 -- Russia's advanced multi-role Mi-171A2 has completed its tests at extremely low temperatures, local media reported on Wednesday.
- China's new electronic-warfare aircraft enhances navy's combat capability: experts People's Daily 24 Jan 2018 -- China has deployed its new electronic-warfare aircraft in its recent combat maneuvers, a move many military experts believe will help boost Chinese naval power in the disputed South China Sea.
- China Develops Early Warning Jets For Aircraft Carriers Sputnik 24 Jan 2018 -- The Chinese military is building its first carrier-based early-warning plane capable of tracking stealth aircraft like the US' F-22s and F-35s used by services worldwide.
- Indian Navy Hopes New Aircraft Carrier 'Vikrant' Will Join Fleet in 2020 Sputnik 24 Jan 2018 -- The Indian Navy is planning for the first aircraft carrier built in India to formally join the fleet in two years, a senior official recently told reporters in New Delhi.
- Iranian Army's war games conclude in southern, southeastern waters IRNA 24 Jan 2018 -- Mohammad Rasoulallah war games, staged by the Iranian Army over the past two days, were concluded on Wednesday.
- Calls for negotiations on Iran's missile program 'delirious' Press TV 24 Jan 2018 -- The recent calls by the US and some of its allies for negotiations about Iran's ballistic missile program and other defensive matters are "delirious," says a senior Iranian military spokesman.
- Press Briefing by Press Secretary Sarah Sanders The White House 24 Jan 2018
- 24 January 2018 - Daily Press Briefing by the Office of the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General United Nations 24 Jan 2018
- Spike in attacks on 'blue helmets' means UN peace operations must adapt, says peacekeeping chief UN News 24 Jan 2018 -- With United Nations 'blue helmets' facing increasingly grave threats, including armed groups with no interest in peace, the UN peacekeeping chief called on Wednesday for greater political engagement and leadership from the Security Council and the world body's Member countries to ensure UN troops – and the populations they serve – are better protected.
- Trump urges Erdogan not to 'risk conflict' with US forces in Syria Press TV 24 Jan 2018 -- US President Donald Trump has cautioned his Turkish counterpart to avoid any measures in Syria that "might risk conflict" between the two countries.
- Rockets hit Turkish border town, wound over a dozen Press TV 24 Jan 2018 -- More than a dozen people have been wounded when two rockets fired from Syria's Kurdish-controlled enclave of Afrin struck a Turkish border town, the local governor says.
- Turkey says will foil border 'games' as offensive against Syria continues Press TV 24 Jan 2018 -- President Recep Tayyip Erdogan says Turkey will "thwart games" along its borders, starting with the northwestern Syrian city of Manbij, as Ankara presses ahead with its operation against US-backed Kurdish militants in the war-torn Arab country.
- Casualties Mount on Day Five of Turkey's Operation Olive Branch in North Syria Sputnik 24 Jan 2018 -- The Turkish intervention into Kurdish Syrian Democratic Forces-controlled areas in Afrin, northwest Syria has intensified, entering its fifth day on Wednesday. Sputnik offers a summary of the day's most important military reports and political and diplomatic announcements.
- Turkish Military Hits 47 Targets in Syria's Afrin - General Staff Sputnik 24 Jan 2018 -- Turkey is not going to limit its military operation to the Syrian Afrin region, and is ready to fight in Iraq, if necessary, in its effort to destroy terrorism, Turkish Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu said Friday.
- Turkish Military Column Reportedly Enters Aleppo Province in Pursuit of Kurds Sputnik 24 Jan 2018 -- Earlier, Turkish President Recep Erdogan said that Ankara was going to "thwart games"
- Erdogan Calls On Trump to Stop Support of Kurdish Armed Groups in Syria Sputnik 24 Jan 2018 -- Trkish President and his US counterpart have discussed the situation in Syria's Afrin, where Ankara is currently conducting a military operation.
- SDF Says it Killed Tens of Turkish Troops, Allied Rebels Since Start of Afrin Op Sputnik 24 Jan 2018 -- After the Turkish General Staff announced on Saturday the launch of the operation in Afrin against the PKK and the YPG on Saturday, the SDF expressed readiness to "defend ourselves and our people."
- Russia Rejects U.S. Criticism On Syrian Chemical Weapons RFE/RL 24 Jan 2018 -- Russia has lashed out over a U.S. charge that Moscow bears responsibility for the use of chemical weapons in Syria, and accused Washington of seeking to stymie efforts to end the war in the Middle Eastern country.
- Ex-U.S. Army Commander Warns Of Russian Capabilities In Ukraine RFE/RL 24 Jan 2018 -- The former top U.S. Army commander in Europe said Russian battlefield tactics in eastern Ukraine show sophisticated integration of drones, electronic warfare, and mortar and artillery, posing major challenges for Ukrainian forces.
- U.S. Envoy: Lack Of Political Will In Moscow Thwarting Ukraine Peace RFE/RL 24 Jan 2018 -- The U.S. special envoy for Ukraine said the country's new law on reintegrating its conflict-torn regions has "regularized" the country's military operation against Russia-backed separatists, but doesn't change anything on the ground.
- Twin car bombings kill more than 30 in Libyan city of Benghazi Press TV 24 Jan 2018 -- Twin car bombings outside a mosque have claimed the lives of more than 30 people and wounded dozens more in Libya's second city Benghazi.
- UN demands unhindered access to Rohingya camps newly built in Myanmar Press TV 24 Jan 2018 -- The United Nations (UN) has called on Myanmar to grant aid agencies unhindered access to camps that have been built near the border with Bangladesh to house the tens of thousands of Rohingya Muslim refugees who face repatriation from Bangladesh.
- Central African Republic: UN, partners seek $515 million in humanitarian aid for 2018 UN News 24 Jan 2018 -- With more than half the population in the Central African Republic (CAR) projected to need humanitarian assistance in 2018, the United Nations, the Government and partners are seeking $515.6 million in contributions to address the crisis.
- UN says number of extra-judicial killings in DR Congo has tripled Press TV 24 Jan 2018 -- The United Nations has slammed the Democratic Republic of Congo for its inability to contain a surge in the number of extra-judicial "executions" in the country, saying figures show a three-time increase in two years of such killings by "state agents".
- With new leadership committed to reforms, Somalis must make 2018 'year of implementation' - UN envoy UN News 24 Jan 2018 -- Grappling with turbulent politics, persisting terrorism and the risk of famine, Somalia must make 2018 a year of carrying out reforms, a senior United Nations official said Wednesday, urging more international financial and technical support for the Horn of Africa country that underwent a peaceful transition of power to a new President a year ago.
- South Sudan: Ceasefire violations, hostile propaganda undercut regional peace push, Security Council told UN News 24 Jan 2018 -- While the signing last month of a ceasefire accord among South Sudan's warring parties is a great stride forward, it is just a first step toward peace and stability, the United Nations peacekeeping chief said Wednesday, warning that the 21 December deal has already been violated numerous times.
- At European Court, Navalny Accuses Russia Of Political Persecution RFE/RL 24 Jan 2018 -- Opposition politician Aleksei Navalny has told the European Court of Human Rights (ECHR) that his repeated arrests at the hands of the Russian authorities are politically motivated.
- The North calls for unification of all Koreans without foreign aid Press TV 24 Jan 2018 -- North Korea has called on "all Koreans at home and abroad" to make a "breakthrough" for unification without foreign assistance.
- US imposes new sanctions against North Korea, Chinese firms aiding Pyongyang Press TV 24 Jan 2018 -- The United States has imposed new sanctions on North Korea and Chinese firms and individuals that support Pyongyang's nuclear weapons program.
- US Treasury presses Hong Kong, Beijing over North Korea Press TV 24 Jan 2018 -- The United States has called on Hong Kong and Beijing to step up measures against North Korea over its nuclear program, according to the Treasury Department.
- Treasury Sanctions North Korean Overseas Representatives, Shipping Companies, and Chinese Entities Supporting the Kim Regime US Treasury 24 Jan 2018 -- The U.S. Department of the Treasury's Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) today sanctioned nine entities, 16 individuals, and six vessels in response to North Korea's ongoing development of weapons of mass destruction (WMD) and continued violations of United Nations Security Council Resolutions (UNSCRs).
- Iran's reaction to US Vice President's false accusations ISNA 24 Jan 2018 -- Iranian foreign ministry spokesman dismissed the false accusations leveled against Iran by US Vice President Mike Pence.
- Macedonia Extends Olive Branch To Greece In Name Dispute RFE/RL 24 Jan 2018 -- Macedonia has extended an olive branch toward Greece by agreeing to rename its main airport and a major highway in another step toward ending a decades-old dispute over the former Yugoslav republic's name.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|