08 January 2018 Military News
- OIF / OND / OEF / OIR / OFS Casualty Update 08 Jan 2018 [PDF]
- Pentagon Spokesman Details Progress in Defeating ISIS AFPS 08 Jan 2018 -- Coalition and partnered forces are building upon progress in Iraq and Syria to defeat the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria, the director of press operations at the Pentagon told reporters here today.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Readout of Secretary of Defense Mattis' Phone Call with Japan Minister of Defense Itsunori Onodera DoD 08 Jan 2018
- 30th Annual Surface Navy Association Symposium To Focus On Cross-Domain Integration NNS 08 Jan 2018 -- The 30th Annual Surface Navy Association (SNA) National Symposium will kick-off Jan. 9, to discuss innovative solutions for current and future surface warfare challenges in Crystal City, Virginia.
- Surface Force Commander Directing the Future of the Surface Fleet NNS 08 Jan 2018 -- Commander, Naval Surface Forces (CNSF), Vice Adm. Tom Rowden is taking a holistic approach to implementing recommendations from the Comprehensive Review of Surface Force Incidents (CR) to ensure safe and effective ship operations at sea, the safety of our Sailors and the readiness of our surface forces.
- USS Carney Arrives in Odessa, Ukraine NNS 08 Jan 2018 -- The Arleigh Burke-class guided-missile destroyer USS Carney (DDG 64) arrived in Odessa, Ukraine, Jan. 8, 2018, for a scheduled port visit.
- USS America/15th MEU Arrives in Guam NNS 08 Jan 2018 -- The amphibious assault ship USS America (LHA 6) and embarked 15th Marine Expeditionary Jan. 7.
- The Future USS Omaha (LCS 12) Visits Guantanamo Bay NNS 08 Jan 2018 -- The future littoral combat ship USS Omaha (LCS 12) made a fuel stop at Naval Station Guantanamo Bay (NSGB), Jan. 2-6.
- U.S. Navy Aircraft Joins Search and Rescue Efforts for Missing Mariners in East China Sea NNS 08 Jan 2018 -- On Jan. 7, the U.S. Navy sent a P-8A aircraft attached to the 'Fighting Tigers' of Patrol Squadron EIGHT (VP-8) to assist in an international search and rescue (SAR) effort in the East China Sea following a collision between two commercial vessels.
- PLA Navy to streamline pilot training as more aircraft carriers expected People's Daily 08 Jan 2018 -- As China's aircraft carrier fleet expands, the Chinese navy is exploring ways to streamline the training process for its pilots by introducing a new generation of aircraft to aeronautical university training programs, Chinese military experts said on Thursday.
- India's Nuclear Submarine INS Arihant Back in Service After Repairs Sputnik 08 Jan 2018 -- India's indigenous 6000-ton nuclear-powered submarine INS Arihant is back in the water after remaining idle for a year, due to an accidental breach which allowed water to enter the ship.
- India-South Korea Collaboration on $4.9 Bln Minesweeper Project Collapses Sputnik 08 Jan 2018 -- India's state-owned shipbuilder Goa Shipyard Limited (GSL) is soon expected to issue a fresh expression of interest for the $4.9 billion mine countermeasure vehicles (MCMVs) project after canceling an earlier deal with South Korea's Kangnam Corporation. This could be GSL's third attempt in the last 10 years to build such vessels at its local facility.
- Pentagon Spokesman: U.S. Wants Pakistan to Take 'Decisive Action' Against Terrorism AFPS 08 Jan 2018 -- U.S. officials want to see Pakistan take "decisive action" against terrorism, following the suspension of U.S. security funding to that country, the director of press operations at the Pentagon told reporters here today.
- Pakistan's Navy Test-Fires Domestically Made Cruise Missiles Sputnik 08 Jan 2018 -- The Pakistani Navy recently test-fired a domestically produced anti-ship cruise missile as Islamabad seeks to become more self-reliant in the defense industry.
- UK Royal Navy Frigate Reportedly Intercepts Russian Ships in English Channel Sputnik 08 Jan 2018 -- A UK Type 23 frigate HMS Westminster has been sent to intercept several Russian vessels in the English Channel, local media reported on Monday.
- Defence Secretary visits Appledore yard as warship competition ramps up UK MOD 08 Jan 2018 -- Defence Secretary Gavin Williamson paid a visit to Babcock's Appledore shipyard this morning, as the company announced further details of its bid to help build a new class of warship.
- 8 January 2018 - Daily Press Briefing by the Office of the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General United Nations 08 Jan 2018
- Yemen's Houthi Rebels Shoot Down Saudi Warplane Over Sanaa - Reports Sputnik 08 Jan 2018 -- Yemen's Shiite Houthi rebels managed to down a Saudi warplane over the Yemeni capital of Sanaa, local media reported on Monday.
- Syrian army forces, allies inflict further losses on terrorists in Idlib Press TV 08 Jan 2018 -- Syrian government forces, supported by allied fighters from popular defense groups, have carried out fresh operations against foreign-sponsored Takfiri terrorists in the country's northwestern province of Idlib, inflicting substantial losses on them and liberating more areas.
- Syrian troops break militant siege on army base in Eastern Ghouta Press TV 08 Jan 2018 -- Syrian government forces have managed to break a siege imposed by the foreign-backed Takfiri militants on a strategic army base in Eastern Ghouta near the capital, Damascus.
- Russian military repels attack by militant drones in Syria: Moscow Press TV 08 Jan 2018 -- Russia says its troops have successfully repelled multiple drone attacks launched by militants on its naval and air bases in Syria.
- Russia Says 13 Drones Used In Attack On Its Air Base, Naval Facility In Syria RFE/RL 08 Jan 2018 -- Russia says 13 armed drones have recently been used to attack its air base and its naval facility in western Syria.
- Russian Military Prevents Drone Attack by Militants on Its Bases in Syria Sputnik 08 Jan 2018 -- Overnight on January 6, militants in Syria launched a massive attack against Russian military facilities, including the Tartus Naval base and Hmeimin airbase, with the use of unmanned aerial vehicles.
- Syria: 13 million people in desperate need as seventh war-torn winter sets in, UN warns UN News 08 Jan 2018 -- With millions of desperate people across Syria now facing their seventh winter of war, the United Nations warned on Tuesday that intensified military operations in the country's north are forcing families to flee, in the cold, to areas without enough resources to support them.
- Daesh executes own members in Iraq over refusing bomb attacks Press TV 08 Jan 2018 -- A high-ranking commander of the Iraqi pro-government Popular Mobilization Units, commonly known by the Arabic word Hashd al-Sha'abi, says the Takfiri Daesh terrorist group has executed some of its members in Iraq's northern Salahuddin province after they refused to carry out separate bomb attacks.
- South Sudan accuses ex-military chief of rebel attacks Press TV 08 Jan 2018 -- South Sudan has declared former military chief General Paul Malong a "rebel" and accused him of ordering opposition forces to attack government positions across the African country.
- 71 dead in week of violence in Nigeria's Benue state Press TV 08 Jan 2018 -- A government spokesman in Nigeria says a total of 71 people have lost their lives in a week of violence in the country's east-central state of Benue.
- India, China Avert Another Doklam-Like Standoff Sputnik 08 Jan 2018 -- The Indian Army Chief's comments come amid media speculations that India and China were heading for another Doklam-like controversy after a group of Chinese road builders were allegedly spotted by locals in Tuting of Arunachal Pradesh – a disputed territory.
- Top White House Aide Says Russia Looks To Influence Mexico Vote RFE/RL 08 Jan 2018 -- A senior White House official says the Kremlin has launched a sophisticated campaign to influence Mexico's 2018 presidential election, a video obtained by a Mexican newspaper shows.
- New Report Warns IS Increasing 'Footprint' in Pakistan VOA 08 Jan 2018 -- A new report has documented an "alarming" increase in the Islamic State footprint in Pakistan, saying it adds to the challenges facing the country's decade-long campaign against terrorism and religious extremism.
- North, South Koreas set to hold talks on Winter Olympics, family reunification Press TV 08 Jan 2018 -- The two Koreas are preparing to hold their first round of formal talks in almost two years at a border village on next month's Winter Olympics, among other issues of bilateral interest.
- No 'turnaround' with N Korea, US bent on denuclearization: Haley Press TV 08 Jan 2018 -- US Ambassador to the United Nations Nikki Haley says there is "no turnaround" in President Donald Trump's policy towards North Korea, after her boss appeared to soften his stance by expressing willingness for talks with North Korean leader Kim Jong-un.
- Iran ready for all nuclear deal scenarios: Deputy FM IRNA 08 Jan 2018 -- Iran is prepared for all possible scenarios regarding the nuclear agreement, said the deputy foreign minister of Iran in the Second Tehran Security Conference on Monday.
- Top commander: US' deep-rooted animosity towards Iran never ends IRNA 08 Jan 2018 -- Army Commander Major General Abdolrahim Mousavi here on Monday said the US' deep-rooted hostility towards Iranian nation never comes to an end.
- Iran to give heavy response to possible withdrawal of US from JCPOA ISNA 08 Jan 2018 -- Iranian foreign ministry spokesman emphasized that the United Nations Security Council's emergency meeting that was held on the recent protests in Iran at the request of the United States was another failure for US president Donald Trump.
- Iran: Cooperation with IAEA at stake if US violates JCPOA Press TV 08 Jan 2018 -- Iran's nuclear chief says the Islamic Republic may reconsider its cooperation with the UN nuclear agency in case of a US non-compliance with the landmark multilateral nuclear agreement reached between Iran and the P5+1 group of countries in 2015.
- World must brace for US nuclear deal withdrawal: Deputy foreign minister Press TV 08 Jan 2018 -- A senior Iranian diplomat has warned about possible withdrawal of the United States from the landmark nuclear deal reached between Iran and the P5+1 group of countries in 2015.
- US shamed itself by targeting Iran at UNSC: President Rouhani Press TV 08 Jan 2018 -- President Hassan Rouhani says the United States shamed itself by trying to target the Islamic Republic at a UN Security Council (UNSC) meeting it had called on the recent events inside Iran.
- Iranian Judiciary Official Calls For 'Maximium Penalty' For Protest Leaders RFE/RL 08 Jan 2018 -- A top Iranian judiciary official has said antigovernment protest leaders should be handed the harshest possible sentences, while President Hassan Rohani suggested demonstrations were driven by opposition to his ultraconservative rivals in the ruling elite.
- Death Of Protester In Detention Raises Concerns Over Fate Of Iran Detainees RFE/RL 08 Jan 2018 -- The death of a young Iranian in custody for allegedly taking part in antiestablishment protests has heightened fears of brutal official reprisals against detained protesters and other perceived dissidents following the worst street demonstrations Iran has seen in nearly a decade.
- Iran Blames Unrest on US, Other Foreign Powers VOA 08 Jan 2018 -- Iran's foreign minister says recent unrest in Iran was caused by U.S. "interventionist" strategies and called them some of the nation's most serious security challenges. Mohammad Javad Zarif also alleges that foreign powers – including regional rival Saudi Arabia – stirred up unrest.
- Iran Protester Dies in Custody, Sparking Memories of 2009 Abuse VOA 08 Jan 2018 -- A 22-year-old Iranian protester has died in custody, according to two Iranian lawmakers, intensifying fears of a repeat of the prisoner abuse that followed similar protests in 2009.
- Saudi Arabia charges royals arrested for protesting austerity Press TV 08 Jan 2018 -- Saudi Arabia has charged 11 princes, who were arrested recently for protesting the government's hiking of domestic gas prices and introducing value-added tax (VAT).
- China's returning space lab poses no risk to Earth: top Chinese engineer People's Daily 08 Jan 2018 -- Chinese scientists on Monday dismissed rumors of possible dangers caused by the country's retired space station Tiangong-1, noting that most of its components will burn up safely while re-entering earth, posing no threat to Earth.
- SpaceX launches secretive Zuma spacecraft for US government Press TV 08 Jan 2018 -- SpaceX has blasted off a secretive US government payload known as Zuma, a mission whose nature - and the agency behind it - remains a mystery.
- China new flight routes evoke angry response from Taiwan Press TV 08 Jan 2018 -- Tensions are once again rising between China and Taiwan. Beijing has recently expanded civil aviation routes over the Taiwan Strait. But the government in Taipei is now making its objections heard, arguing that the "irresponsible" move threatens regional security.
- Taiwan Angry Over New Chinese Aviation Routes That 'Harm Regional Stability' Sputnik 08 Jan 2018 -- The president of Taiwan recently pushed back against China's decision to unilaterally open a new aviation route that Taipei says violates a 2015 agreement to discuss flight paths around the island.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|