01 January 2018 Military News
- Defeat-ISIS Coalition Reflects on 2017, Looks Forward to 2018 AFPS 01 Jan 2018 -- Today, the 70 nations and four organizations that comprise the coalition that's dedicated to the defeat of the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria reflect on progress made in 2017 and look forward to 2018, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials reported today.
- Dozen civilians killed in new US-led strikes in eastern Syria Press TV 01 Jan 2018 -- A so-called monitoring group says at least a dozen civilians have lost their lives when the US-led coalition purportedly fighting the Daesh Takfiri terrorist group carried out a series of aerial assaults in Syria's eastern province of Dayr al-Zawr.
- Trump threatens to pull plug on US aid for Pakistan Press TV 01 Jan 2018 -- US President Donald Trump has threatened to cut off foreign aid to Pakistan, accusing Islamabad of harboring violent extremists.
- Trump Accuses Pakistan Of 'Lies And Deceit,' Threatens To Pull Billions In Aid RFE/RL 01 Jan 2018 -- U.S. President Donald Trump has threatened to cut off billions of dollars in aid to Pakistan, accusing Islamabad of being a safe haven for extremists.
- Trump Slams Pakistan for Providing 'Safe Haven' for Terrorists From Afghanistan Sputnik 01 Jan 2018 -- The United States has allocated millions of dollars in aid to Pakistan, while the latter has not contributed to countering terrorism and provided safe harbor to terrorists from Afghanistan, a situation that cannot continue any longer, US President Donald Trump said on Monday.
- President Trump Criticizes Pakistan for "Lies and Deceit" VOA 01 Jan 2018 -- U.S. President Donald Trump is again accusing Pakistan of sheltering terrorists whom American forces are fighting in neighboring Afghanistan.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Open Skies Treaty: Russia's Restrictions for US Observers Enter Force Sputnik 01 Jan 2018 -- With Russia due to limit the number of airfields that can be used by US surveillance aircraft within the framework of the Open Skies Treaty as of January 1, the document seems to face a test for durability this year.
- Saudi-Led Coalition's Airstrike in Western Yemen Kills 20 Civilians - Source Sputnik 01 Jan 2018 -- As many as 20 civilians were killed and eight others were injured as a result of an airstrike conducted by the Air Force of the Saudi-led coalition on a fuel station in the Yemeni city of Al Hudaydah, an unnamed source familiar with the situation told Sputnik on Monday.
- Yemeni naval forces seize Saudi autonomous underwater vehicle Press TV 01 Jan 2018 -- Yemeni naval forces, supported by allied fighters from Houthi Ansarullah movement, have managed to seize a Saudi autonomous underwater vehicle (AUV) in Yemen's territorial waters.
- War Crimes Court Review Says Bosnian Croat General's Suicide Not Preventable RFE/RL 01 Jan 2018 -- An independent investigation has determined the International Criminal Tribunal for the former Yugoslavia (ICTY) could not have prevented convicted Bosnian Croat war criminal Slobodan Praljak from committing suicide live on television during a court hearing.
- Somalia Charges 5 for Attack That Killed over 500 VOA 01 Jan 2018 -- Somali prosecutors have filed charges against five men in connection with the Oct. 14 truck bombing in Mogadishu that killed 512 people – the single deadliest terrorist attack in African history.
- Nigerian Military: 700 Abductees of Boko Haram Escape Captivity VOA 01 Jan 2018 -- Nigeria's military says more than 700 people abducted by the Islamist militant group Boko Haram have escaped captivity in the northeast of the country.
- Jordan's King Dismisses Coup Rumors After Firing Siblings From Top Army Posts Sputnik 01 Jan 2018 -- Recently media reports appeared suggesting that Jordan King Abdullah's siblings holding important military posts were colluding with Saudi Arabia and the UAE in a bid to stage a coup in the country.
- Jordan rejects coup reports after king relieves siblings from army posts Press TV 01 Jan 2018 -- Jordan's royal palace has denied rumors of a coup plot that surfaced after King Abdullah last week relieved his siblings from top army posts in a major shakeup.
- Iran defense minister urges order, law in addressing people's demands IRNA 01 Jan 2018 -- Iran's Defense Minister, reacting to the recent incidents in the country, said that people's demands could be met under peace, security and order in the framework of the law.
- Rouhani slams Trump's "meddlesome" remarks over Iran's protests People's Daily 01 Jan 2018 -- Iranian President Hassan Rouhani on Sunday criticized U.S. President Donald Trump for sympathizing the Iranian anti-government protesters, local media reported.
- Five people killed during Sunday riots in Hamadan, Khuzestan: Iranian officials Press TV 01 Jan 2018 -- Iranian officials say that a total of five people were killed during riots following protest rallies held in the country's western province of Hamadan and southern province of Khuzestan on Sunday.
- Iran Intelligence Ministry nabs several agents behind riots Press TV 01 Jan 2018 -- Iran's Intelligence Ministry says it has identified and arrested some of the agents behind riots, which followed the recent protests against economic conditions in a number of Iranian cities in recent days.
- Iranian people will deal with rioters, lawbreakers: President Rouhani Press TV 01 Jan 2018 -- Iran's President Hassan Rouhani says the Iranian people will deal with a "small and minority group" of rioters and lawbreakers exploiting the protests against economic conditions in a number of Iranian cities in recent days.
- Rohani Sees Opportunity As Death Toll In Iran's Upheaval Rises RFE/RL 01 Jan 2018 -- President Hassan Rohani says unrest that has left at least a dozen antigovernment protesters dead could be a chance to address problems plaguing Iran amid the biggest challenge to the authorities since violent demonstrations erupted after a disputed election handed Mahmud Ahmadinejad a second presidential term in 2009.
- Protests in Iran Continue as Tehran Urges People to Calm Down Sputnik 01 Jan 2018 -- New protests continue to erupt across Iran, even as the country's president urged the citizens to calm down and to express their criticism without resorting to violence.
- Iran State TV: 12 Dead in Iran Protests VOA 01 Jan 2018 -- Iranian state television says 12 people were killed overnight during anti-government protests, with President Hassan Rouhani vowing security forces would "respond to rioters and lawbreakers."
- Amid Iran Protests, Trump Faces Decision on Sanctions VOA 01 Jan 2018 -- U.S. President Donald Trump, who has been quick and forceful in his support for Iranian anti-government protests, will have a chance later this month to further step up pressure on Tehran.
- Iranian Protests Prompt Different Western Responses VOA 01 Jan 2018 -- Should Western leaders be offering loud rhetorical support for Iran's anti-government protesters?
- North Korea says all of US mainland within nuclear reach Press TV 01 Jan 2018 -- North Korean leader Kim Jong-un says his country has developed the capability to hit all of US mainland with its nuclear weapons, and that the "nuclear launch button" is on his desk.
- North Korea's Kim Says All Of U.S. Within Its Nuclear Range RFE/RL 01 Jan 2018 -- North Korean leader Kim Jong Un says his country has developed the ability to hit all of the U.S. mainland with nuclear weapons and that the nuclear button is "on my table."
- 'US Mainland in Our Nuclear Strike Range' - Kim Jong-un Sputnik 01 Jan 2018 -- North Korea's Supreme Leader offered a sobering New Year's Day message, touting the country's intercontinental nuclear strike capabilities. Despite his indications that this would serve as a deterrent to invasion, the statement is most likely to add fuel to the fire.
- 'Nuclear Button Is Always on my Desk': Kim Calls on DPRK to Make More Nukes Sputnik 01 Jan 2018 -- TOKYO (Sputnik) - North Korean leader Kim Jong Un in his New Year's Day speech on Monday called on his country to accelerate mass production of nuclear warheads and ballistic missiles.
- North Korea Leader Warns US of Reality of its Nuclear Program VOA 01 Jan 2018 -- North Korean leader Kim Jong Un says the United States must realize that the North's nuclear program is a reality.
- President Xi delivers New Year speech vowing resolute reform in 2018 People's Daily 01 Jan 2018 -- Chinese President Xi Jinping Sunday delivered a New Year speech, vowing that China would resolutely carry out reform in 2018.
- Syria's Assad replaces three key ministers in cabinet reshuffle Press TV 01 Jan 2018 -- Syrian President Basher al-Assad has partially reshuffled his cabinet by replacing three key ministers.
- Assad Reportedly Appoints Syria's Chief of General Staff as New Defense Minister Sputnik 01 Jan 2018 -- Syrian President Bashar Assad issued a decree on Monday appointing Chief of the General Staff of the Syrian Arab Army Gen. Ali Abdullah Ayoub as the country's new defense minister, local media reported.
- DR Congo: UN chief calls for restraint amid reports security forces violently dispersed Kinshasa protests UN News 01 Jan 2018 -- United Nations Secretary-General António Guterres has called on the Government of the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) to exercise restraint amid reports of a violent crackdown by national security forces on demonstrations in the capital, Kinshasa, and a number of other cities.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|