The Largest Security-Cleared Career Network for Defense and Intelligence Jobs - JOIN NOW

Military

People's Daily Online

Death toll rises to 71 in two Afghan mosques attacks

People's Daily Online

(Xinhua) 15:30, October 21, 2017

As many as 71 people were killed and 83 others wounded, when two separate suicide blasts ripped through two mosques in the Afghan capital Kabul and western Ghor province respectively on Friday evening, sources said Saturday.

A total of 41 worshippers were killed and 61 others wounded after a suicide bomber detonated an explosives-packed vest at about 5:40 p.m. local time in a Shiite mosque named Imam-e-Zaman in Dasht-e-Barchi locality, west of Kabul, Najibullah Farhan, in-charges of the cultural affairs of the mosque, told Tolo News, a local media.

He said 29 people were killed inside the mosque while 12 others succumbed to their injuries in or on the way to hospitals.

Unofficial sources put the number of the dead as high as 61 and the injured 82 in Kabul attack.

In a similar attack at roughly the same time, 30 people, including Fazl Ahmad Khan, a senior commander of a pro-government militiamen group known as local uprising group, have been killed and 22 others wounded when an assailant struck a mosque in Khoja Gan village, Dulina district, western Ghor province, district Chief Hossain Danishyar told Xinhua earlier Saturday.

The blasts were as heavy as could collapse the mosques buildings.

The Islamic State (IS) terrorist group has claimed responsibility for the deadly Kabul attack, while no group has so far commented on the Ghor incident.

Further details about the incidents are still forthcoming amid the absense of any official statement.



NEWSLETTER
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list