Saudi airstrike kills at least 5 people in southwestern Yemen
Iran Press TV
Mon Oct 2, 2017 04:33PM
At least five people have been killed as Saudi Arabia's warplanes conducted an airstrike on a road in Yemen's southwestern province of Ta'izz.
According to Yemen's official SABA news agency, the aerial aggression occurred on a road in the al-Barh area of the Maqbanah district on Monday, wounding four other people.
Other reports, however, said at least eight people sustained injuries in the airstrike.
This is not the first time Saudi fighter jets have raided the road. Last month, several other Yemeni people were killed or wounded as their vehicles were targeted by a number of airstrikes.
The report further said that the Saudi war machine had conducted nearly 30 other airstrikes against various localities in some other provinces of the impoverished nation earlier in the day, the possible casualties of which were not immediately clear.
The Monday airstrike came three days after the United Nations Human Rights Council adopted a last-minute compromise resolution by consensus after heavy lobbying by a Saudi-led group of Arab states with Western powers.
The resolution, which called for sending a group of "eminent experts" to war-torn Yemen, had initially sought the formation of an independent commission of inquiry into war crimes in Yemen after a proposal by the Netherlands and Canada. The adopted version, being softer, includes amendments presented by Saudi Arabia and other Arab states.
Saudi Arabia has been incessantly pounding Yemen since March 2015 in an attempt to crush the popular Houthi Ansarullah movement and reinstate Yemen's former President Abd Rabbuh Mansur Hadi, who is a staunch ally of the Riyadh regime.
More than 12,000 people have been killed since the onset of the campaign more than two and a half years ago. Much of the Arabian Peninsula country's infrastructure, including hospitals, schools and factories, has been reduced to rubble due to the war.
The Saudi war has also triggered a deadly cholera epidemic, which is believed to have affected 700,000 people since April, in Yemen. The military aggression has also left nearly 21 million people in need of humanitarian assistance.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|