26 October 2017 Military News
- OIF / OND / OEF / OIR / OFS Casualty Update 26 Oct 2017[PDF]
- Military Strikes Target ISIS Terrorists in Syria, Iraq AFPS 26 Oct 2017 -- U.S. and coalition military forces continued to attack the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria yesterday, conducting 15 strikes consisting of 25 engagements, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials reported today.
- Trump administration mulling drone attacks in Niger Press TV 26 Oct 2017 -- The administration of US President Donald Trump is reportedly speeding up plans to use armed drone to attack militants in Niger, in the wake of a deadly ambush that killed four American troops in the African country.
- USS Wasp and USS Oak Hill Redeployed Following Hurricane Relief Support NNS 26 Oct 2017 -- As part of the broader planning effort to transition from hurricane response to hurricane recovery, the Federal Emergency Management Agency and Department of Defense have assessed the need for continuing the use of certain support assets currently assigned to the territories.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Pentagon Spokesperson Urges Congress to End Continuing Resolution Funding AFPS 26 Oct 2017 -- The U.S. Congress must pass a defense spending bill and not another continuing resolution to fund the Defense Department, chief Pentagon spokesperson Dana W. White said today at a Pentagon news briefing.
- Department of Defense Press Briefing by Pentagon Chief Spokesperson Dana W. White and Joint Staff Director Lt. Gen. Kenneth F. McKenzie Jr. in the Pentagon Briefing Room DoD 26 Oct 2017 -- Presenter: Pentagon Chief Spokesperson Dana W. White; Joint Staff Director Lieutenant General Kenneth F. McKenzie Jr.e
- Redeployment of the USS WASP and the USS OAK HILL DoD 26 Oct 2017 -- As part of the broader planning effort to transition from hurricane response to hurricane recovery, FEMA and DoD have assessed the need for continuing the use of certain support assets currently assigned to the territories.
- Readout of Secretary Mattis' Meeting with Indian Minister of Defence Nirmala Sitharaman DoD 26 Oct 2017
- Dunford Charts Alliance Progress in South Korea AFPS 26 Oct 2017 -- Marine Corps Gen. Joe Dunford arrived here to participate in the U.S.-South Korean Military Committee Meeting tomorrow.
- US Army Africa pushing more support to Lake Chad Basin to reinforce US stability efforts Army News 26 Oct 2017 -- U.S. Army Africa is boosting its security efforts across the Lake Chad Basin this year to deter extremist groups and help embolden nations in the distressed region, the acting commander said.
- USS Ashland Assists Distressed Mariners in Pacific Ocean NNS 26 Oct 2017 -- The Sasebo-based amphibious dock landing ship USS Ashland (LSD 48) rendered assistance to two distressed mariners, Oct. 25, whose sailboat had strayed well off its original course.
- NATO Challenges Russia on Scope of War Games VOA 26 Oct 2017 -- NATO has accused Russia of misleading the Western military alliance about the military exercises it held last month with Belarus.
- Press point by the NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg following the meeting of the NATO-Russia Council NATO 26 Oct 2017
- 'Fundamental Differences' Remain After NATO-Russia Council Meeting RFE/RL 26 Oct 2017 -- NATO Secretary-General Jens Stoltenberg says the Western military alliance and Russia "continue to have fundamental differences" regarding the conflict in eastern Ukraine.
- Russia, Qatar ink military deal amid growing regional arms race Press TV 26 Oct 2017 -- Russia and Qatar have signed an intergovernmental agreement on military and technical cooperation, as Persian Gulf Arab states are turning to Moscow as a new arms supplier amid escalation of regional tensions.
- Department Press Briefing - October 26, 2017 US Dept. of State 26 Oct 2017
- 26 October 2017 - Daily Press Briefing by the Office of the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General United Nations 26 Oct 2017
- Over 90% of Syria retaken from terrorists: President Putin Press TV 26 Oct 2017 -- President Vladimir Putin has hailed Russian forces' contribution to Syria's counterterrorism campaign, saying over 90 percent of the Syrian territory has been liberated from the grip of militants.
- Tillerson Says 'No Role' For Assad In Future, But Removal Not A Prerequisite RFE/RL 26 Oct 2017 -- U.S. Secretary of State Rex Tillerson says the United States sees no role for President Bashar al-Assad in any future Syrian government.
- Fresh round of intra-Syrian talks set for 28 November, UN mediator tells Security Council UN News 26 Oct 2017 -- Announcing that he will convene the eighth round of intra-Syrian talks on 28 November in Geneva, the United Nations Special Envoy for Syria on Thursday urged all stakeholders to seize the opportunity to find a solution to the crisis plaguing the war-torn country.
- Panel Finds Syrian Government Responsible for Gas Attack VOA 26 Oct 2017 -- An international investigative panel has determined that the government of Syrian President Bashar al-Assad was responsible for a deadly sarin gas attack on April 4.
- Iraqi forces march on Daesh's last haven in the country Press TV 26 Oct 2017 -- The Iraqi army has launched a three-pronged offensive aimed at liberating the final Daesh-held areas in the country's western Anbar province.
- Crisis in Rakhine 'decades in the making' and reaches beyond Myanmar's borders - UN rights expert UN News 26 Oct 2017 -- Voicing concern that hate speech and incitement to violence against Myanmar's Rohingya community has been "cultivated for decades" in the minds of the country's people, a United Nations human rights expert urged the Security Council to act strongly to resolve the crisis.
- Six Nigerian soldiers killed in Boko Haram raid Press TV 26 Oct 2017 -- Boko Haram militants in Nigeria have launched an attack on a military base in the northeast of the African country, killing at least six soldiers.
- UN chief stresses need to support Central African Republic's peacebuilding strategy UN News 26 Oct 2017 -- On the third day of his visit to the Central African Republic (CAR), United Nations Secretary-General António Guterres on Thursday called on the international community to support the conflict-ravaged country's peacebuilding and recovery strategy.
- Mali: Guterres strongly condemns deadly attack against UN mission convoy UN News 26 Oct 2017 -- Secretary-General António Guterres has strongly condemned today's attack against a logistic convoy of the United Nations Multidimensional Integrated Stabilization Mission in Mali (MINUSMA), which left three Chadian peacekeepers dead and two injured.
- UN Security Council reaffirms support for Iraq's integrity after Kurdish vote Press TV 26 Oct 2017 -- The United Nations Security Council (UNSC) has "reaffirmed" support for Iraq's territorial integrity amid tensions between the central government and the Kurdistan Regional Government (KRG) in the wake of a highly controversial independence referendum the semi-autonomous region held last month in open defiance of Baghdad.
- Kurdistan's offer to freeze referendum result will not redress damage: Turkey Press TV 26 Oct 2017 -- Turkish authorities say an offer by the Kurdistan Regional Government (KRG) to freeze the results of last month's independence referendum is not enough, saying the move would not compensate for the damage caused by the controversial vote.
- UN envoy 'confident' Baghdad and Erbil can work hand in hand to overcome differences UN News 26 Oct 2017 -- Even as Iraq breathes a sigh of relief with the defeat of the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL or Da'esh), it has been hit by another crisis – one between Baghdad, the capital, and Erbil, in the Kurdistan region – the top United Nations official in the country has said.
- Iraqi prime minister calls for total annulment of Kurdish independence vote Press TV 26 Oct 2017 -- Prime Minister Haider al-Abadi has called for the total annulment of the recent Kurdish secession referendum in northern Iraq, apparently rejecting the Kurdish leader's recent decision to merely freeze the results of the unconstitutional vote.
- Briefing by Foreign Ministry Spokesperson Maria Zakharova, Moscow, October 26, 2017 Russia Ministry of Foreign Affairs 26 Oct 2017
- Briefing by Deputy Assistant Secretary Scott Busby On the Release of the Report on Human Rights Abuses and Censorship in North Korea US Dept. of State 26 Oct 2017-- Special Briefing by Scott Busby, Deputy Assistant Secretary, Bureau of Democracy, Human Rights, and Labor
- Release of the Report on Human Rights Abuses and Censorship in North Korea US Dept. of State 26 Oct 2017 -- Today, consistent with the North Korea Sanctions and Policy Enhancement Act of 2016, the State Department released our third report on DPRK human rights abuses and censorship, identifying Jo Kyong-Chol (Commander of the Military Security Command), Sin Yong Il (Deputy Director of the Military Security Command), Jong Yong Su (Minister of Labor), Ri Thae Chol (First Vice Minister of the Ministry of People's Security), Kim Kang Jin (Director of the External Construction Bureau), Ku Sung Sub (North Korean Consul General in Shenyang, China), Kim Min Chol (Second Secretary at the DPRK Embassy in Vietnam), the Military Security Command, External Construction Bureau, and Cholhyun Construction as responsible for serious human rights abuses or censorship in North Korea.
- N. Korean Debt to Sweden Remains Unpaid After Four Decades VOA 26 Oct 2017 -- More than four decades after selling 1,000 Volvos to North Korea, Sweden is still trying to get paid for the cars.
- Russia thwarting US efforts on North Korean nuclear issue: Trump Press TV 26 Oct 2017 -- US President Donald Trump has accused Russia of thwarting efforts to solve the North Korean nuclear issue while praised China for being helpful in this regard.
- Trump Says Russia Hindering U.S. Efforts To Rid North Korea Of Nuclear Weapons RFE/RL 26 Oct 2017 -- U.S. President Donald Trump has said that Russia is hindering U.S. efforts to rid North Korea of nuclear weapons, while China has been helpful.
- Iran: US leaders 'ignorant', Tillerson remarks 'deceptive' Press TV 26 Oct 2017 -- Iran has lashed out at "impudent, deceptive and interventionist" remarks of US Secretary of State Rex Tillerson about what he called the need for the Iranian people to take back control of their government.
- US House passes new sanctions on Iran's ballistic missile program Press TV 26 Oct 2017 -- The US House of Representatives in Congress has voted overwhelmingly to impose new sanctions against Iran's ballistic missile program, a move that could undermine the international nuclear agreement with Tehran.
- China Focus: New CPC leadership for new era People's Daily 26 Oct 2017 -- The Communist Party of China (CPC) unveiled a new leadership line-up Wednesday to lead the world's most populous nation toward a great modern socialist country.
- Pakistani court orders arrest of ex-PM Sharif over graft charges Press TV 26 Oct 2017 -- A court in Pakistan has issued an arrest warrant for the former prime minister, Nawaz Sharif, who is embroiled in two corruption cases tied to the Panama Papers leak, his lawyer says.
- Pakistan Court Issues Arrest Warrant For Ousted Sharif VOA 26 Oct 2017 -- An anti-corruption court in Pakistan has issued an arrest warrant for ousted Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif after he failed to appear in court to face corruption charges.
- Taiwan's president wants dialogue with China CNA 26 Oct 2017 -- President Tsai Ing-wen (蔡英文) called on the Communist Party of China (CPC) Thursday to begin dialogue with her administration to bring an end to hostilities between the two sides and the fear of war.
- Taiwan sees 'new era' in China, urges renewed dialog Press TV 26 Oct 2017 -- Taiwan says the recent changes in China's leadership mark a "turning point" that can be used to start dialog and improve cross-strait relations.
- Violence Erupts as Kenya Holds New Presidential Election VOA 26 Oct 2017 -- Thursday's repeat of Kenya's presidential election has been marred by clashes between police and protesters, as well as unopened polling stations in opposition strongholds.
- Catalan Leader Says Revoking Autonomy Will Worsen Crisis VOA 26 Oct 2017 -- Catalan President Carles Puigdemont says the Spanish government will worsen the political crisis over the Catalonia region's push for independence if lawmakers go ahead with a threat to revoke its autonomy.
- Catalan leader warns of escalating crisis with Madrid Press TV 26 Oct 2017 -- The leader of Spain's semi-autonomous Catalonia region has warned of an escalating crisis with Madrid over the region's continued ambitions for independence.
- Briefing by Deputy Assistant Secretary Jim Walsh On the State Department's Role in Combating the Opioid Crisis US Dept. of State 26 Oct 2017 -- Special Briefing by Jim Walsh, Deputy Assistant Secretary for International Narcotics And Law Enforcement Affairs
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|