16 October 2017 Military News
- OIF / OND / OEF / OIR / OFS Casualty Update 16 Oct 2017[PDF]
- Officials Provide Details of Latest Strikes Against ISIS AFPS 16 Oct 2017 -- U.S. and coalition military forces continued to attack the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria yesterday, conducting ten strikes consisting of 11 engagements, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials reported today.
- US drone kills five in Pakistan near Afghan border Press TV 16 Oct 2017 -- At least five people have lost their lives after a US drone attack on a compound in Pakistan's northwestern tribal region, intelligence officials say.
- US Forces Conduct Strike against ISIS Training Camps in Yemen DoD 16 Oct 2017 -- U.S. forces killed dozens of ISIS members in a strike on two ISIS training camps, Oct. 16, in Al Bayda Governorate, Yemen, disrupting the organization's attempts to train new fighters.
- Beale AFB, local agencies fight California wildfires AFNS 16 Oct 2017 -- Firefighters from the 9th Civil Engineer Squadron at Beale Air Force Base are partnering with state and local fire departments to fight fires in Butte, Yuba and Nevada counties.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Formidable Shield 2017: Ship Engages BMD Target During NATO Exercise, MDA and Navy Conduct SM-6 Test Launch NNS 16 Oct 2017 -- Ships from Canada, France, Germany, Italy, the Netherlands, Spain, the United Kingdom, and the United States participated in a live-fire integrated air and missile defense (IAMD) scenario, defending against a ballistic missile target as well as three anti-ship cruise missiles Oct. 15 as part of exercise Formidable Shield 2017 (FS17).
- Allied airborne operations set the stage for Swift Response 17-2 exercise Army News 16 Oct 2017 -- Several local German civilians and media personnel gathered on a 800x800 meter field outside the Hohenfels Training Area, Oct. 9, 2017 as they patiently waited for paratroopers to safely land right before their eyes and cameras.
- First security force assistance brigade training for deployment Army News 16 Oct 2017 -- The Army announced it had accelerated fielding of its security force assistance brigades, or SFABs, to allow traditional brigade combat teams to focus on readiness for warfighting against near-peer threats.
- 3rd MAW supports Puerto Rico: "Raiders" soar to the rescue USMC News 16 Oct 2017 -- In the wake of Hurricane Maria, the 3rd Marine Aircraft Wing sent 12 Marines and two KC-130J Super Hercules from Marine Aerial Refueler Transport Squadron (VMGR) 352 to deliver 60,000 pounds of food and supplies to the community of Puerto Rico, Sept. 29 to Oct. 7.
- USS Monterey Deploys as Surge Force NNS 16 Oct 2017 -- The Ticonderoga-class guided-missile cruiser USS Monterey (CG 61) departed Naval Station Norfolk Oct. 16, for a surge deployment to the U.S. 5th Fleet and U.S. 6th Fleet areas of operation.
- USS San Diego Arrives In Souda Bay, Greece NNS 16 Oct 2017 -- The San Antonio-class amphibious transport dock ship USS San Diego (LPD 22) and embarked Marines with the 15th Marine Expeditionary Unit (MEU) arrived in Souda Bay, Greece, on Oct. 15, for a scheduled port visit.
- Fleet Forces Embarks USS Harry S. Truman NNS 16 Oct 2017 -- Commander, U.S. Fleet Forces Command, Adm. Phil Davidson, embarked USS Harry S. Truman (CVN 75) Oct. 11 to meet with Sailors and provide his guidance for at-sea operations.
- Force 16 Takes the Helm of the Navy Reserve Force NNS 16 Oct 2017 -- Command Master Chief Chris Kotz relieved Force Master Chief C.J. Mitchell as force master chief of the Navy Reserve, during a change of appointment and retirement ceremony at the Navy Memorial, Oct. 13.
- Multinational Mine Warfare Exercise Begins Off Coast of South Korea NNS 16 Oct 2017 -- Maritime forces from the United States and Republic of Korea (ROK), together with personnel from United Nations Command (UNC) Sending State nations, commenced Multinational Mine Warfare Exercise (MN MIWEX) in waters off of the eastern coast of the Republic of Korea, Oct. 15.
- Ready to Go at 50 Below? F-35 Heads To Alaska For Cold Weather Testing Sputnik 16 Oct 2017 -- The US Air Force has marshalled an F-35 joint strike fighter to an Alaskan air base to test the aircraft's ability to land on icy runways.
- ROK Navy Welcomes USS Michigan to Busan to Strengthen Partnership NNS 16 Oct 2017 -- The Ohio-class guided-missile submarine USS Michigan (SSGN 727) (Gold) arrived at Busan, Republic of Korea (ROK), Oct. 13, for a routine visit during a regularly scheduled deployment to the Western Pacific.
- Massive US-South Korean Naval War Games Begin Near Korean Peninsula Sputnik 16 Oct 2017 -- The US and South Korean navies have kicked off a five-day round of military drills, the type of exercise that North Korea has previously responded with ballistic missile tests.
- NATO Deputy Secretary General underscores importance of Asia-Pacific partnerships NATO 16 Oct 2017 -- Deputy Secretary General Rose Gottemoeller stressed the importance of NATO's partners in the Asia-Pacific region at the seventh NATO Asia-Pacific Dialogue in Brussels on Monday (16 October 2017). The Dialogue is organized annually by NATO's Public Diplomacy Division in cooperation with the Konrad Adenauer Stiftung (Foundation), and was hosted by the Atlantic Treaty Association.
- Russia Starts Kalashnikov Assault Rifle Deliveries to Philippines Sputnik 16 Oct 2017 -- After Philippines President expressed interest in purchasing Russian arms during a meeting with President Vladimir Putin earlier this year, the deliveries of Kalashnikov rifles has already begun. The move came as the Philippines has refused to buy new weapons from Washington.
- Sweden Rings Alarm Bell Over Alleged Spying Attempts During NATO Exercise Sputnik 16 Oct 2017 -- During Aurora 17, Sweden's largest military exercise in decades, a sharp increase in the number of reported spying threats has occurred, rekindling Sweden's preoccupation with the "Russian threat."
- US, South Korea launch week-long naval drills involving 40 warships Press TV 16 Oct 2017 -- South Korea and the United States have kicked off week-long war games in the waters around the restive Korean Peninsula, in a move that could lead to a new surge in tensions with the North.
- Report of Taiwan helping in U.S.-North Korea war 'groundless': MND CNA 16 Oct 2017 -- A report claiming that Taiwan's Navy could offer humanitarian assistance if a war were to break out between the United States and the North Korea is "groundless" and "pure speculation," the Ministry of National Defense (MND) said Monday.
- North Korea Says US Actions 'Forced' Pyongyang to Create H-Bomb Sputnik 16 Oct 2017 -- North Korea tested a hydrogen bomb in September prompting a UN resolution toughening sanctions on Pyongyang.
- Indian Navy Gets More Stealth Power With Anti-Submarine Warship INS Kiltan Sputnik 16 Oct 2017 -- It is India's first major warship to have a superstructure of carbon fiber composite material resulting in improved stealth features, lower top weight, and maintenance costs.
- French Firm Thales Makes Robust Pitch for India's $1.8Bln AESA Radars Sputnik 16 Oct 2017 -- The AESA radars are to be fitted onto India's locally developed Tejas Combat Jets which are to replace the aging fleet of MiG-21.
- Missile production will not stop under any conditions: IRGC commander Press TV 16 Oct 2017 -- The commander of the Islamic Revolution Guards Corps (IRGC) Aerospace Division says Tehran will not stop boosting its missile capabilities under any circumstances, shrugging off US President Donald Trump's call for constraints on Iran's ballistic missile program.
- South Korea Developing Its Own Counter-Rocket System - Reports Sputnik 16 Oct 2017 -- South Korea has decided not to skate on thin ice by using Israel's Iron Dome system and to develop its own counter-rocket system amid tensions on the Peninsula.
- Arms shipments to Saudis skyrocket under Trump: Report Press TV 16 Oct 2017 -- US President Donald Trump, who repeatedly condemned Saudi policies during the 2016 election campaign, has allowed more than a billion dollars worth of arms to be delivered to the Saudi kingdom, which is committing war crimes in the neighboring Yemen, a new report shows.
- Russia, Bahrain in Talks on S-400 System's Supplies - Royal Guard Commander Sputnik 16 Oct 2017 -- Just over than a week after Russia and Saudi Arabia agreed on S-400 supplies, another Middle Eastern country has expressed interest in the air defense systems.
- Kuwait - M1A1 Abrams Tanks DSCA 16 Oct 2017 -- The State Department has made a determination approving a possible Foreign Military Sale to Kuwait for M1A1 Abrams Tanks. The estimated cost is $29 million. The Defense Security Cooperation Agency delivered the required certification notifying Congress of this possible sale today.
- 16 October 2017 - Daily Press Briefing by the Office of the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General United Nations 16 Oct 2017
- Turkey expands deployment of troops to Syria's Idlib Press TV 16 Oct 2017 -- Turkey's army is expanding its deployment in Syria's militant-held Idlib province despite the Damascus government's call for an "immediate and unconditional" pullout of Turkish troops, militants and witnesses say.
- What Is Turkey Up to in Syria? VOA 16 Oct 2017 -- Turkey is expanding its latest military intervention in Syria rapidly, sending more special forces and commandos into Idlib as part of a high-risk effort agreed to with Moscow and Tehran to establish a de-escalation zone in the northwest Syrian province that is mainly controlled by an al-Qaida offshoot.
- Syria intercepts Israeli warplanes near Lebanese border: Army Press TV 16 Oct 2017 -- The Syrian army says its air defense has responded to an Israeli aerial violation of the Arab country's territory in the vicinity of the Lebanese border, hitting an intruding warplane and forcing the fighter jets to retreat.
- Syria Following Israeli Attack: IDF Jets Had Violated Our Airspace Sputnik 16 Oct 2017 -- The Israeli army reported that its Air Force has destroyed an anti-aircraft battery in Syria in a response to an alleged shelling of Israeli planes that were conducting a reconnaissance mission in Lebanese airspace. The Syrian army has commented on the incident.
- Israel Destroys Syrian Air Defence Battery After Alleged 'Shelling' Sputnik 16 Oct 2017 -- The IDF has cited its right to "thwart hostilities towards Israeli population". The incident comes as the latest in a string of tit-for-tat attacks between Damascus and Tel Aviv that remain in a state of war for decades.
- Lebanon president urges return of Syrian refugees to stable areas Press TV 16 Oct 2017 -- Lebanese President Michel Aoun has called for a gradual return of Syrian refugees to their country, saying Lebanon can no longer cope with the burden.
- Russia's Anti-Terrorist Operation in Syria Close to its End - Defense Minister Sputnik 16 Oct 2017 -- Russian Defense Minister Sergei Shoigu has commented on the results of the Moscow's operation in Syria aimed to support the government's fight against terrorists amid the ongoing operation in the Deir ez-Zor province.
- Syrian Army Surrounds Remaining Daesh Terrorists in Deir ez-Zor - Source Sputnik 16 Oct 2017 -- The offensive of the Syrian army after the liberation of the largest Daesh stronghold in the Deir ez-Zor province continues.
- Coalition Monitors Military Movements Near Kirkuk, Pentagon Spokesman Says AFPS 16 Oct 2017 -- Coalition military officials are monitoring military movements near Kirkuk, Iraq, following reports of an incident, Pentagon Director of Press Operations Army Col. Rob Manning told reporters today.
- Kirkuk wells under Iraqi Federal Gov't control IRNA 16 Oct 2017 -- Iraqi forces captured Lilan region, Baba Gurgur oil wells, and the headquarters of the North Oil Company (NOC), northwest of Kirkuk.
- Turkey ready to cooperate with Iraq to eradicate PKK from Kirkuk Press TV 16 Oct 2017 -- The Turkish government says it is ready to cooperate with the central Iraqi government against militants from the Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK) in the country's oil-rich northern province of Kirkuk, amid reports that the Kurdistan Regional Government (KRG) is allowing PKK terrorists to penetrate the city.
- Iraqi premier orders hoisting of national flag in Kirkuk, other Kurdish regions Press TV 16 Oct 2017 -- Iraqi Prime Minister Haider al-Abadi has ordered the hoisting of Iraqi national flag in the country's oil-rich northern province of Kirkuk as well as other areas under the control of the Kurdistan Regional Government (KRG).
- Iraqi forces retake military base, strategic sites in Kirkuk Press TV 16 Oct 2017 -- Iraqi forces have gained control of the main military base in Kirkuk as well as other strategic locations in the oil-rich province from Kurdish fighters.
- Iraqi Forces Enter Kirkuk As Thousands Flee RFE/RL 16 Oct 2017 -- Iraqi forces have entered the disputed city of Kirkuk and taken control of the provincial-council headquarters and key installations outside the disputed city, reports say.
- U.S. Urges Iraqi, Kurdish Forces To Avoid Escalation After Reports Of Clashes Near Kirkuk RFE/RL 16 Oct 2017 -- U.S. officials urged Iraqi and Kurdish forces "to avoid additional escalatory actions" following reports of artillery clashes after Iraqi government troops moved in a "major operation" against Kurdish positions near the oil-rich city of Kirkuk.
- Iraqi Government Accuses Kurds of 'Misinformation Campaign' After Kirkuk Clashes Sputnik 16 Oct 2017 -- Baghdad believes that the clashes between the Iraqi armed forces and Peshmerga fighters in Kirkuk have fallen victim to so-called fake news.
- What We Know So Far About Baghdad's Operation in Kirkuk Sputnik 16 Oct 2017 -- Baghdad has launched a military operation in the northern province of Kirkuk, disputed by both the central government and Iraq Kurdistan, following the province's participation in the September 25 referendum on the autonomous region's independence.
- Baghdad Goal in Kirkuk and Iraqi Kurdistan Is Protection of Locals - PM Sputnik 16 Oct 2017 -- Tensions between Baghdad and Kurdish authorities are on the rise due to the recent advance of the Iraqi army in Kirkuk and Iraqi Kurdistan regions. Iraqi Prime Minister Haider Abadi has explained the aim of the country's armed forces.
- Iraqi Government to Pay Heavy Price for Kirkuk Campaign - Peshmerga Sputnik 16 Oct 2017 -- Hemin Hawrami, a senior assistant to Kurdish President Masoud Barzani has quoted the Peshmerga statement on the recent Iraqi troops' advance in the Kirkuk region. The statement was made after they managed to gain control over the K-1 military base, Kirkuk airport, two oil fields and over Kirkuk's irrigation system.
- Iraqi Troops Capture Kirkuk Airport From Kurds - Statement Sputnik 16 Oct 2017 -- Tensions between Baghdad and Kirkuk have further escalated following the Iraqi Kurdistan's independence referendum with Iraqi troops conducting an operation in the region.
- Iraqi Forces Seize Airbase From Kurdish Troops in Kirkuk Sputnik 16 Oct 2017 -- Iraqi military forces have reported the capture among several other positions of the K1 airbase from Kurdish troops in the Peshmerga-controlled province of Kirkuk in a bid to gain control of the oil-rich region after the independence referendum.
- Kirkuk Shuttered as Iraqi Forces Advance on Kurdish Peshmerga VOA 16 Oct 2017 -- Iraqi forces shut down access both in and out of Kirkuk Monday as fighting with Kurdish Peshemerga forces grew worse.
- Iraqi Forces Seize Key Sites in Kirkuk, Kurdish Stronghold VOA 16 Oct 2017 -- Iraqi government forces swept into the Kurdish-held city of Kirkuk on Monday, capturing the governor's office, key military sites and an oil field.
- Explosion in southeast Turkey kills two soldiers: Turkish broadcaster Press TV 16 Oct 2017 -- An improvised explosive device has gone off in the southeastern Turkish province of Hakkari, killing two military forces.
- UN humanitarian officials call for global solidarity ahead of pledging conference on Rohingya refugee crisis UN News 16 Oct 2017 -- Senior United Nations officials are urging the international community to come together in support of a 23 October pledging conference to "send a strong message to Rohingya refugees and their generous hosts in Bangladesh that the world is there for them in their greatest time of need." Since late August, hundreds of thousands of Rohingya trying to escape discrimination and persecution in Myanmar's Rakhine state have fled to neighbouring Bangladesh, sparking the world's fastest-growing humanitarian emergency, according to the United Nations.
- Two Projectiles Launched at Israel From Sinai Peninsula - Israeli Defense Force Sputnik 16 Oct 2017 -- The Israeli Defense Force reports that sirens in the Eshkol region were triggered by the two rockets fired from the Egypt's Sinai area.
- Philippine army kills two Daesh militant leaders in push to free Marawi Press TV 16 Oct 2017 -- Philippine troops have killed two senior militant leaders affiliated with the notorious Daesh terror group as they press ahead with an operation to liberate the southern militant-held city of Marawi.
- UN envoy discusses implementation of intra-Palestinian agreement with Prime Minister Hamdallah UN News 16 Oct 2017 -- Meeting the Palestinian Prime Minister today, the United Nations Special Coordinator for the Middle East Peace Process, Nickolay Mladenov, and discussed the implementation of the intra-Palestinian agreement signed in the Egyptian capital, Cairo, on 12 October.
- Mogadishu Blast Toll Tops 300 VOA 16 Oct 2017 -- The death toll in the Somali capital Mogadishu has topped 300 as rescue teams continue to search for survivors from a massive explosion blamed on Islamist militants.
- Analysts: Somalia's Security Forces Must Learn From Attack, Do Better VOA 16 Oct 2017 -- The death toll keeps climbing after Saturday's massive truck bombing in Mogadishu. By Monday afternoon, the Somali government put the death count at 276 and wounded at 429. Analysts say the Somali government must be more vigilant against improvised explosive devices if the country is to avoid similar attacks in the future.
- Armenian, Azerbaijani Presidents Hold 'Constructive' Talks On Karabakh RFE/RL 16 Oct 2017 -- The Armenian and Azerbaijani presidents have discussed a possible settlement of the conflict over Azerbaijan's breakaway region of Nagorno-Karabakh at a meeting In Geneva.
- Secretary-General welcomes launch of new UN mission in Haiti UN News 16 Oct 2017 -- United Nations Secretary-General António Guterrs welcomed the establishment Monday of the UN Mission for Justice Support in Haiti (MINUJUSTH), following the closure of its predecessor peacekeeping mission.
- Trump Calls for Quick End to Election-related Russia Probes VOA 16 Oct 2017 -- U.S. President Donald Trump called Monday for a quick conclusion to the investigations into whether his campaign colluded with Russia last year to help him win the White House.
- Catalonia's President Response on Secession not Acceptable to Madrid VOA 16 Oct 2017 -- The president of Spain's region of Catalonia has responded to a Monday deadline, failing to clarify whether he will push ahead with efforts for the region to break away from Madrid and signaling that the secession crisis is far from over.
- Spain gives Catalonia until Thursday to clear position on independence Press TV 16 Oct 2017 -- Spain has issued a new ultimatum for Catalonia to clarify its position on independence, warning that Madrid will take control of the autonomous region if regional leader Carles Puigdemont fails to stop the secession bid by Thursday.
- Iraqi Kurd officials worried about Iran shutting borders IRNA 16 Oct 2017 -- Officials of Iraqi Kurdistan Region expressed concern over closure of Iranian border crossings with KRG.
- Iraq says Iran closes border with KRG upon Baghdad request IRNA 16 Oct 2017 -- Iraqi Ministry of Foreign Affairs in a statement announced that Iran has shut its border crossings with Iraqi Kurdistan Region at the request of Baghdad government.
- Baghdad warns Kurds not to cut oil flow after KRG halts crude production Press TV 16 Oct 2017 -- The Iraqi government has warned the Kurdistan Regional Government (KRG) not to take any measure that would cause a crude oil flow disruption from Kirkuk oil fields as Kurdish authorities reportedly shut down some 350,000 barrels per day (bpd) of production from two major fields in northern Iraq.
- Turkey Closes Country's Airspace for Iraqi Kurdistan Sputnik 16 Oct 2017 -- The Turkish Security Council recommended in an October 16 statement to close the country's airspace for Iraqi Kurdistan amid the ongoing clashes between Iraqi federal forces and Peshmerga fighters in Kirkuk, which joined Kurdistan's independence referendum on September 25.
- Iran to rethink if not benefit from JCPOA ISNA 16 Oct 2017 -- Iran's Parliament Speaker stressed that if the US President's inappropriate attitude stopped Iran benefiting from the nuclear agreement, the country would definitely reconsider its stance on the deal.
- EU foreign ministers back Iran nuclear deal ISNA 16 Oct 2017 -- European Union foreign ministers expressed their support for the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA), calling it a very important deal.
- Total termination of Iran nuclear deal 'a real possibility': Trump Press TV 16 Oct 2017 -- US President Donald Trump says the total termination of the 2015 nuclear agreement with Iran is "a very real possibility."
- EU supports Iran nuclear deal, vows full commitment Press TV 16 Oct 2017 -- European Union foreign ministers have reaffirmed their support for the historic nuclear agreement between Iran and the P5+1 group of countries, saying the accord is working and is a key part of non-proliferation efforts.
- Iran expects JCPOA dividends for high costs incurred: Larijani Press TV 16 Oct 2017 -- Parliament Speaker Ali Larijani says Iran expects to benefit from the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA) for which it has paid high costs or it would rethink dealing with the 2015 nuclear accord.
- EU 'Determined To Preserve' Iran Nuclear Deal, Urges U.S. Congress To Protect It RFE/RL 16 Oct 2017 -- European Union foreign ministers have closed ranks in support of the Iran nuclear agreement, warning that U.S. President Donald Trump's threats to abandon the multinational accord jeopardize efforts to find a peaceful solution to the nuclear standoff with North Korea.
- Mogherini Voices EU Commitment to Iran Nuclear Deal Despite US Move Sputnik 16 Oct 2017 -- EU foreign policy chief Federica Mogherini commented on Donald Trump's recent decision not to certify Iran's compliance with the Joint Comprehensive plan of action (JCPOA).
- Trump: 'Total Termination' of Iran Nuclear Deal Possible VOA 16 Oct 2017 -- President Donald Trump says his decision not to recertify Iran's compliance with the Iran nuclear deal could lead to its "total termination."
- S. Korea to seek delivery of businessmen's request for visit to DPRK People's Daily 16 Oct 2017 -- South Korea's unification ministry said Monday that it will seek how to deliver the request of South Korean businessmen for their visit to Kaesong, a border town of the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK), to the DPRK side.
- North Korea will not negotiate with hostile US: Diplomat Press TV 16 Oct 2017 -- Amid growing tensions on the Korean Peninsula, North Korea has told the United Nations that it will not negotiate the dismantling of its nuclear weapons unless the US reversed its "hostile" policy.
- Tense US-North Korea Standoff Slowly Escalates VOA 16 Oct 2017 -- As the tense nuclear standoff between North Korea and the United States continues to escalate, the risk of military conflict grows, while hopes for a peaceful solution remain remote.
- Xi calls for increased cooperation between CPC, non-Communist parties People's Daily 16 Oct 2017 -- Xi Jinping, general secretary of the Communist Party of China (CPC) Central Committee, called for increased cooperation between the CPC and the country's non-Communist political parties to jointly strive for achieving the Chinese Dream of national rejuvenation.
- China Party Congress Expected to Signal Next 5 Years of Maritime Policy VOA 16 Oct 2017 -- Chinese leaders are expected to emerge from a party congress this month with signals on whether they will take a hard or soft stance toward the widely contested South China Sea, a region of concern from Southeast Asia to Washington.
- Russia Fines Telegram App Over Encryption-Key Demand RFE/RL 16 Oct 2017 -- A Russian court has imposed an 800,000 ruble ($14,000) fine on Telegram for refusing to provide the Federal Security Service (FSB) with encryption keys to the popular messaging app.
- New York Bomber Faces Life in Prison VOA 16 Oct 2017 -- The man accused of planting two bombs in New York, leaving 30 people injured in September of last year, was found guilty of all charges Monday.
- Turkey to extend state of emergency by 3 more months for fifth time Press TV 16 Oct 2017 -- The Turkish government has endorsed a recommendation by the National Security Council (MGK) to extend the state of emergency that has been in place in the country since the failed coup in the summer of 2016.
- Over 1,200 detained in Turkey in last week for links to militant groups, says Interior Ministry Press TV 16 Oct 2017 -- Turkey's Interior Ministry says more than 1,200 people have been arrested over the past week on suspicion of links to terrorist groups.
- Ukraine's Security Service Warns Of Potential Violence; Saakashvili Pledges Peaceful Protest RFE/RL 16 Oct 2017 -- Ukrainian's main security agency has claimed it averted potential violence planned during a protest in front of the country's parliament, an action organized by controversial firebrand politician Mikheil Saakashvili.
- Kisumu Protesters Renew Pressure on Kenya's Electoral Commission VOA 16 Oct 2017 -- Protesters in the Kenyan city of Kisumu defied a local government ban on rallies Monday to demand reforms in the country's electoral commission. This is the fourth Monday in a row demonstrators have marched on the commission's offices.
- Kenya police killed 67 in violence after vote annulment: Rights groups Press TV 16 Oct 2017 -- Human rights groups say as many as 67 people died during a police crackdown on protesters following the annulment of the August presidential election in the East African nation.
- Ruling Venezuela party claims election victory, opposition rejects results Press TV 16 Oct 2017 -- Venezuela's election officials say the Socialist Party of President Nicolas Maduro has won a landslide victory in regional elections, in results that were rejected by the opposition as fraudulent.
- Kyrgyz Candidate Alleges Violations In Presidential Vote, But Suggests He Will Accept Official Results RFE/RL 16 Oct 2017 -- The chief rival of the candidate authorities say won the presidency in Kyrgyzstan has alleged the voting was marred by violations but suggested he would not challenge the official result, potentially paving the way for a peaceful transfer of power.
- Macedonia's Ruling Party Eyes Local Election Sweep RFE/RL 16 Oct 2017 -- Near-final results of Macedonia's first round of local elections show that the ruling Social Democrats (SDSM) are leading in more than half of the country's municipalities.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|