19 September 2017 Military News
- OIF / OND / OEF / OIR / OFS Casualty Update 19 Sep 2017[PDF]
- Strikes Continue in Effort to Defeat ISIS in Syria, Iraq AFPS 19 Sep 2017 -- U.S. and coalition military forces continued to attack the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria yesterday, conducting 13 strikes consisting of 21 engagements, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials reported today.
- Crushing ISIS: Air power operations in a complex battle space AFNS 19 Sep 2017 -- Lt. Gen. Jeffrey L. Harrigian, commander of U.S. Air Forces Central Command, discussed the fight against the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria during the 2017 Air Force Association Air, Space and Cyber Conference, Sept. 18, 2017.
Defense Policy / Programs
- U.S. Senate Passes Bill To Fund New Cruise Missile, Fight Russian Propaganda RFE/RL 19 Sep 2017 -- The U.S. Senate on September 18 strongly backed a $700 billion defense policy bill that calls on the Pentagon to fight Russian propaganda and start building a new cruise missile in a move critics say will lead to the demise of a major Cold War treaty.
- U.S. launches its first military base in Israel to curb Iran People's Daily 19 Sep 2017 -- The U.S. army inaugurated its first military base in Israel, which sends a message of readiness to Israel's arch enemy Iran in the region, local media reported on Tuesday.
- U.S. Forces Participate in Swedish Military Exercise AFPS 19 Sep 2017 -- U.S. military personnel began participation today in Exercise Aurora 2017, a Swedish national exercise designed to strengthen regional defense capabilities.
- 40 million in modern slavery and 152 million in child labour around the world ILO 19 Sep 2017 -- New research developed jointly by the International Labour Organization (ILO)1 and the Walk Free Foundation2, in partnership with the International Organization for Migration (IOM)3, has revealed the true scale of modern slavery around the world. The data, released during the United Nations General Assembly, shows that more than 40 million people around the world were victims of modern slavery in 2016.
- San Diego, 15th MEU Participate in Alligator Dagger 2017 NNS 19 Sep 2017 -- The amphibious transport dock ship USS San Diego (LPD 22), with embarked 15th Marine Expeditionary Unit (MEU), concluded their participation in the scheduled combat rehearsal known as Alligator Dagger, Sept. 11, in the vicinity of the Republic of Djibouti.
- Bonhomme Richard Arrives in Okinawa, Conducts Final Offload of 31st MEU NNS 19 Sep 2017 -- The amphibious assault ship USS Bonhomme Richard (LHD 6) with the embarked 31st Marine Expeditionary Unit (MEU) arrived in Okinawa to conduct the final offload of 31st MEU equipment, vehicles, and personnel, Sept. 19.
- Operation Junction Rain 2017 Concludes NNS 19 Sep 2017 -- Members of the U.S. Coast Guard, U.S. Navy, Senegalese Marines, Senegalese Navy, and Cabo Verde Coast Guard came together for a debriefing conference concluding Operation Junction Rain (OJR), the operational phase of the African Maritime Law Enforcement Partnership (AMLEP), Sept. 15, 2017.
- First-ever Desert Observer exercise enhances historic partnership between US Army, Kuwait Army News 19 Sep 2017 -- Soldiers from 3rd Armored Brigade Combat Team, 1st Cavalry Division and Kuwaiti military forces conducted the first-ever Desert Observer exercise near Udairi Range in northern Kuwait on Sept. 13.
- Army, South Pacific partners prepare effective responses to natural disasters Army News 19 Sep 2017 -- With its stately pine trees and sparkling blue waters, the South Pacific island and French territory of New Caledonia evokes the aura of a hidden paradise for beachgoers and snorkelers.
- Remarks by Secretary Mattis at an Enhanced Honor Cordon Welcoming Mihai-Viorel Fifor, Minister of National Defence of Romania, to the Pentagon DoD 19 Sep 2017 -- Presenter: Defense Secretary Jim Mattis
- Nuclear modernization critical to nation's defense AFNS 19 Sep 2017 -- Senior leaders emphasized the need for modernization in the nuclear force at the Air Force Association's Air, Space and Cyber Conference, Sept. 18, 2017.
- Joint Task Force Leeward Islands Prepares for Hurricane Maria AFPS 19 Sep 2017 -- U.S. service members with Joint Task Force Leeward Islands moved their aircraft from San Juan to Aguadilla, Puerto Rico, yesterday so they can continue their humanitarian assistance and disaster relief mission once Hurricane Maria passes.
- Evolution of Cyber Requires Change As Normal Concept, Rogers Says AFPS 19 Sep 2017 -- The cyber world will look quite different in two years and five years than it does today, Navy Adm. Michael S. Rogers, commander of U.S. Cyber Command and director of the National Security Agency, said today.
- US, South Korea stage joint drill near North Korea border Press TV 19 Sep 2017 -- US and South Korean troops have staged a joint drill in a village near the North Korean border in what could reignite anger in Pyongyang about increased provocations by the two allies.
- Military Options Against N. Korea Fraught With Danger: Analysts VOA 19 Sep 2017 -- In his United Nations General Assembly speech Tuesday, American President Donald Trump said the United States is "ready, willing and able" to "totally destroy" North Korea in response to its "reckless pursuit" of nuclear weapons and ballistic missiles.
- Report Of Errant Missile Strike At Russian Exercise Prompts Military Response RFE/RL 19 Sep 2017 -- A Russian website posted a video it said showed an errant rocket from a helicopter hitting close to at least two people watching the joint Russian-Belarusian exercise Zapad 2017, prompting statements from the military that left it unclear when the incident occurred and whether anyone was badly injured.
- S-400 Triumf System to Go Into Service With Unit in Volga Region - MoD Sputnik 19 Sep 2017 -- According to the head of the district's technical support department Maj. Gen. Fraiz Salyyev, Russia's S-400 Triumf air defense missile systems will go into service with an air defense unit of the Central Military District in the Volga region this year.
- Afghan Air Force Receives First U.S.-Made Black Hawk Helicopters RFE/RL 19 Sep 2017 -- The Afghan Air Force (AAF) has received its first U.S.-made UH-60 Black Hawk helicopters as part of a planned replacement of its aging fleet of Russian-made helicopters.
- Is North Korea Building Their First Nuclear Submarine? Sputnik 19 Sep 2017 -- Japanese media outlets are reporting that North Korea is clandestinely building a nuclear-powered submarine that they hope to have operational by 2020. The reports come from an anonymous but "informed" source.
- India's Home-Grown LCH to Start Live Firing Trial of French Mistral Missiles Sputnik 19 Sep 2017 -- MBDA of France also expects to kick-start negotiations with India in the next few days for supplying Mistral ATAM for another armed helicopter - Rudra.
- Russia Pitches Aggressively for MiG-29K $12Bn Indian Deal Sputnik 19 Sep 2017 -- Indian Navy had issued a detailed request for information in January this year for 57 multi-role fighter aircraft to which Russian, French, Swedish and American companies had replied with their intent.
- Commander hails Iran navy force role in economic development IRNA 19 Sep 2017 -- Iran's naval forces, by maintaining presence in the international waters, are playing an important role in boosting the country's international ties and providing security for its economic development, Iranian Navy Commander said.
- Amid Yemen war, Saudi signs military cooperation deal with Britain Press TV 19 Sep 2017 -- Britain and Saudi Arabia have signed a framework deal on military and security cooperation as the Riyadh regime intensifies its ongoing campaign against Yemen.
- U.S. Senate passes bill in support of military exchanges with Taiwan CNA 19 Sep 2017 -- The U.S. Senate on Monday approved a US$640 billion defense spending bill that includes a requirement for an assessment report on enhanced military exchanges between the United States and Taiwan.
- Russia to Deliver 12 Su-30K Fighters to Angola by Early 2018 - Repair Plant Sputnik 19 Sep 2017 -- Russia will meet all its obligations to deliver a dozen Su-30K fighters to Angola by early 2018.
- Almost 2 million people internally displaced in Yemen: UN Press TV 19 Sep 2017 -- The United Nations (UN)'s refugee agency says nearly two million people have been internally displaced due to the conflict in Yemen.
- Nine civilians dead as Saudi warplanes bomb NW Yemen Press TV 19 Sep 2017 -- At least nine civilians have been killed when Saudi military aircraft carried out an airstrike against a residential area in Yemen as the Saudi regime presses ahead with an atrocious military campaign against its crisis-hit southern neighbor.
- Israeli fighter jet bombs positions in occupied Golan Heights Press TV 19 Sep 2017 -- An Israeli fighter jet has targeted positions in Syria's occupied Golan Heights after a Patriot missile allegedly intercepted and shot down an unmanned aerial vehicle purportedly operated by the Lebanese Hezbollah resistance movement.
- US Confirms Syrian Army Crossed Deconfliction Zone in Deir el-Zour VOA 19 Sep 2017 -- U.S.-led coalition forces say the Russian-backed Syrian army has crossed the Euphrates River in Deir el-Zour in its bid to regain control of the Syrian city, a move that could result in a faceoff with U.S.-backed fighters in the city's east.
- Syria repels massive attack led by Nusra Front Press TV 19 Sep 2017 -- Syria's army and its allies have repelled a large-scale attack spearheaded by the notorious al-Nusra Front terrorist group on the western Syrian city of Hama.
- As Damascus cements victories, anti-Assad countries say will not help rebuild Syria Press TV 19 Sep 2017 -- British Foreign Secretary Boris Johnson says the United States, Britain, and other backers of the militants fighting to topple the Damascus government will not be supporting the reconstruction of Syria as long as President Bashar al-Assad is in power.
- Western Countries Say No Syria Reconstruction Without Political Transition RFE/RL 19 Sep 2017 -- Countries opposed to Syrian President Bashar al-Assad say they will not support the reconstruction of the war-torn Middle Eastern country until there is a political transition there.
- The Noose Closes Round Daesh in Deir ez-Zor: Syrian Army Crosses the Euphrates Sputnik 19 Sep 2017 -- The Syrian Arab Army (SAA) has crossed the Euphrates River and is trying to restore full control over its west bank. RIA Novosti correspondent Mikhail Alaeddin was on the ground to witness a unique operation that could lead to the complete encirclement of the terrorists in Deir ez-Zor.
- Syrian Army Attacked From Area Where US Special Task Units, SDF Operate - Moscow Sputnik 19 Sep 2017 -- The Syrian Army, fighting terrorists in the Deir ez-Zor province, has been subjected to strong counterattacks from the north where Kurdish-led Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) and US special task units are operating, the Russian Defense Ministry's spokesman Mj. Gen. Igor Konashenkov said on Tuesday.
- Syrian Army Secures Resumption of Flights in Deir Ez-Zor Airfield Sputnik 19 Sep 2017 -- The Syrian army managed to ensure the resumption of flights from and to the Deir ez-Zor airfield, a source familiar with the situation said.
- Iraqi Army Starts Op to Squeeze Daesh From Areas Near Syrian Border Sputnik 19 Sep 2017 -- Iraq's Prime Minister Haider Abadi announced Tuesday the country's armed forces had launched an operation to drive the remains of Daesh forces away from the western parts of the country that border Syria.
- Iraqi forces recapture village in Anbar from Daesh terrorists Press TV 19 Sep 2017 -- Iraqi army soldiers, backed by allied fighters from Popular Mobilization Units, have fully liberated a village in the country's beleaguered western province of Anbar from the grip of Daesh terrorist group as operations continue to win back the militant-held areas there.
- UN chief urges Myanmar to halt military campaign against Rohingya Press TV 19 Sep 2017 -- UN Secretary General Antonio Guterres has called on Myanmar to put an end to its military campaign against Rohingya Muslims just hours after the country's de facto leader, Aung San Suu Kyi, failed to allay international concerns over the ongoing ethnic cleansing in Myanmar.
- UN mission asks for more time to probe mass killing of Rohingya Muslims Press TV 19 Sep 2017 -- The head of an investigation team in the UN Human Rights Council has asked for more time to look into allegations of mass killing of persecuted Rohingya Muslims in Myanmar.
- Myanmar leader defends handling of crimes against Rohingya Muslims Press TV 19 Sep 2017 -- Myanmar's leader has finally broken her silence only to defend how her government is dealing with the massive human rights violations committed against Rakhine-based Rohingya Muslims, which the UN says amount to ethnic cleansing. Aung San Suu Kyi fell short of singling out the military in the globally-condemned violence, which has triggered a massive exodus of Muslim refugees to Bangladesh.
- UN scaling up assistance as number of Rohingya refugees grows to over 400,000 UN News 19 Sep 2017 -- As the number of Rohingya who have fled to Bangladesh surpasses 400,000, United Nations agencies are scaling up their efforts to assist the displaced and Secretary-General António Guterres renewed his call on the authorities in Myanmar to take steps to address the crisis.
- Mixed Reaction to Aung San Suu Kyi's Speech on Rohingya Crisis VOA 19 Sep 2017 -- Aung San Suu Kyi's first speech on the weeks-old Rohingya crisis in Myanmar was a nationally televised event that many hoped would signal a new direction or perhaps an inspiring attempt to mend the conflict with the power of oratory.
- Myanmar's Aung San Suu Kyi Addresses Rakhine Crisis VOA 19 Sep 2017 -- Myanmar's de facto leader Aung San Suu Kyi delivered a highly anticipated national speech Tuesday, addressing her country's crisis in Rakhine state, where ongoing violence has led about 400,000 ethnic Rohingya to flee to neighboring Bangladesh in recent weeks.
- DR Congo: UN agency urges Government to protect refugees after tragic killings UN News 19 Sep 2017 -- The United Nations refugee agency is urging the Government of the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) to ensure protection for refugees and asylum-seekers following last week's shooting incident in Kamanyola in which at least 39 people were killed and 94 injured.
- Remarks by President Trump to the 72nd Session of the United Nations General Assembly The White House 19 Sep 2017
- Trump calls Iran nuclear deal an 'embarrassment' to US Press TV 19 Sep 2017 -- US President Donald Trump has told the United Nations General Assembly that the internationally-negotiated nuclear agreement with Iran is an "embarrassment" to the United States, raising question whether he intends to stay in the 2015 accord.
- Trump Calls On UN To Take Harder Line Against North Korea, Iran RFE/RL 19 Sep 2017 -- U.S. President Donald Trump has called on members of the United Nations General Assembly to take a harder line against threats posed by North Korea and Iran, saying the United States could be "forced" to "totally destroy North Korea" if the UN fails to convince Pyongyang to "cease its hostile behavior" and suggesting that Washington may withdraw from Iran's nuclear deal with world powers.
- Trump Threatens 'Total Destruction' of North Korea in First UN Speech VOA 19 Sep 2017 -- Describing North Korean leader Kim Jong Un as "Rocket Man" on a suicide mission, U.S. President Donald Trump used his maiden address to the United Nations General Assembly to warn the Pyongyang regime that its current course could lead to total destruction.
- UN Chief: Millions Live Under Shadow of DPRK Nuclear Threat VOA 19 Sep 2017 -- United Nations Secretary-General António Guterres opened his first General Assembly gathering Tuesday warning that North Korea's nuclear ambitions are the world's most serious challenge.
- Repair 'world in pieces' and create 'world at peace,' UN chief Guterres urges global leaders UN News 19 Sep 2017 -- Addressing the annual gathering of world leaders at the United Nations Headquarters, Secretary-General António Guterres today spotlighted several threats – including the nuclear peril, climate change, and ongoing conflicts – that must be overcome to create a better world for all.
- President of UN General Assembly urges world leaders to engage in working for the people UN News 19 Sep 2017 -- Opening the annual general debate, the President of the United Nations General Assembly today stressed the need for more work on prevention, a greater focus on people, and keeping promises made to advance prosperity and protect the planet.
- All nations should embrace their sovereignty, US President tells world leaders at UN Assembly UN News 19 Sep 2017 -- Noting that the present world is one that offers both immense promise and great peril, the President of the United States told global leaders at the United Nations that it was "entirely up to us" to either lift the world to new heights, or let it fall into a valley of disrepair.
- At General Assembly, France urges return to optimism, values that underpinned UN's founding UN News 19 Sep 2017 -- Citing a litany of world crises and quoting directly from victims of man-made and natural disasters, French President Emmanuel Macron today called for a return to the optimism and universal values that inspired the founding of the United Nations 72 years ago, taking into the account the new realities of the 21st century.
- US govt. wiretapped Manafort during, after 2016 election, a report says Press TV 19 Sep 2017 -- A report claims that the US government wiretapped the phone of former Donald Trump campaign chairman under secret court orders before and after the 2016 presidential election.
- Reports: Former Trump Campaign Chairman Wiretapped; To Be Indicted RFE/RL 19 Sep 2017 -- U.S. media are reporting that federal investigators have wiretapped President Donald Trump's former campaign chairman Paul Manafort under secret court orders and now plan to indict him.
- Former Trump Campaign Chief Was Subject to Secret Wiretap VOA 19 Sep 2017 -- Investigators with the United States government wiretapped the former chairman of President Donald Trump's campaign under a secret court order issued prior to the 2016 election and then again after the election, according to a CNN report.
- Mattis: North Korea Sanctions Are Working AFPS 19 Sep 2017 -- U.N. Security Council sanctions targeting North Korea's missile and nuclear tests are working, Defense Secretary Jim Mattis said yesterday during an informal briefing with members of the press.
- China rejects threats as solution for North Korea nuclear crisis Press TV 19 Sep 2017 -- China has rejected any form of threatening action as a solution for North Korea's nuclear crisis, after US Defense Secretary James Mattis pointed to the likelihood of military options against Pyongyang.
- International diplomacy continues at UN over North Korea crisis Press TV 19 Sep 2017 -- Amid rising tensions on the Korean Peninsula, world leaders and senior officials keep up their diplomatic efforts to resolve the crisis over North Korea's military program.
- Hong Kong leader urges end to calls for independence Press TV 19 Sep 2017 -- Hong Kong's leader has called for an immediate halt to calls for independence in the semi-autonomous Chinese region, warning that the issue is "destroying the relationship" with Beijing.
- China Inaugurates Strategic Highway to Nepal Much to India's Dislike Sputnik 19 Sep 2017 -- The 40.4 km strategic highway between Tibet's Xigaze airport and Xigaze city would be used for both economic and military purposes.
- Analysts: Amendments to China's Constitution to Include Xi Jinping Thought VOA 19 Sep 2017 -- When China's Communist Party hosts a once-in-five-year congress next month, one key thing political analysts will be watching for is a name: Xi Jinping.
- Velayati: Iran will never accept to renegotiate nuclear deal Press TV 19 Sep 2017 -- A high-ranking Iranian official says the Islamic Republic will never accept to renegotiate the terms of a nuclear agreement it clinched with the P5+1 group of countries more than two years ago.
- Iraqi PM orders end of referendum in Iraqi Kurdistan IRNA 19 Sep 2017 -- Iraqi Prime Minister Haider al-Abadi issued order to stop referendum in Iraqi Kurdistan.
- Iraq breakup will lead to global conflict: Turkish minister Press TV 19 Sep 2017 -- Turkish Defense Minister Nurettin Canikli has reiterated Ankara's opposition to a planned Kurdish independence referendum in northern Iraq, warning that disintegration of Iraq will lead to a global conflict.
- Kirkuk's Council Votes Against Baghdad's Decision on Governor's Dismissal Sputnik 19 Sep 2017 -- The Kirkuk Council on Tuesday voted against the decision of the Iraqi Parliament for the resignation of Kirkuk Governor Najmaldin Karim.
- Chuvash, Bashkir Writers Warn Putin 'Playing With Fire' On Language Policy RFE/RL 19 Sep 2017 -- Prominent writers in Russia's Chuvashia and Bashkortostan regions have urged President Vladimir Putin to stop discouraging the mandatory study of indigenous languages in regions with large ethnic-minority populations, warning that a shift away from the practice could sap Russia's strength and sow discord.
- In Kyiv, Saakashvili Demands Documents That Stripped Him Of Ukrainian Citizenship RFE/RL 19 Sep 2017 -- Mikheil Saakashvili, the ex-governor of Ukraine's Odesa region and former president of Georgia, has arrived in Ukraine's capital, where he vowed to challenge the revocation of his Ukrainian citizenship.
- Trump Calls for Additional Steps to Restore Democracy to Venezuela VOA 19 Sep 2017 -- Before his first address to the U.N. General Assembly, U.S. President Donald Trump said he wanted democracy restored to Venezuela and warned the U.S. may take additional steps to restore stability to the oil-producing nation.
- Disputes, Logistics, Throw New Kenyan Poll Date Into Doubt VOA 19 Sep 2017 -- Kenya's election drama continues. The country is scheduled to hold its new presidential poll on October 17, but there is already talk of postponement due to technical issues and arguments over the electoral commission. Meanwhile, the Supreme Court, which annulled the results of last month's vote, has come under fresh fire from ruling party supporters.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|