13 August 2017 Military News
- Officials Provide Details of Latest Strikes Against ISIS AFPS 13 Aug 2017 -- U.S. and coalition military forces continued to attack the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria yesterday, conducting 26 strikes consisting of 32 engagements, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials reported today.
- US military says airstrike has killed senior Daesh terrorists in Afghanistan Press TV 13 Aug 2017 -- Several senior members of the Daesh Takfiri terrorist group have been killed in a US airstrike in eastern Afghanistan.
- Afghan IS Leader, Top Commanders Killed, U.S. Says RFE/RL 13 Aug 2017 -- The United States says a local leader of the Islamic State (IS) extremist group and several of the group's commanders have been killed in a U.S. air strike in Afghanistan.
- US Strike Kills Islamic State's Provincial Leader in Afghanistan VOA 13 Aug 2017 -- A provincial leader of the Islamic State militant group in Afghanistan has been killed in a U.S. air strike in eastern Kunar province, Afghan and U.S. military officials confirmed Sunday.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Dunford to Visit China, South Korea, Japan to Discuss Range of Issues AFPS 13 Aug 2017 -- The chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff is traveling to Asia to reassure allies and improve military-to-military ties during a complicated time in the region.
- Navy F/A-18E Makes Emergency Landing at Bahrain International Airport NNS 13 Aug 2017 -- An F/A-18E of Strike Fighter Squadron (VFA) 146 assigned to USS Nimitz (CVN 68) departed the runway and the pilot ejected during an emergency landing at Bahrain International Airport, Aug. 12, 2017.
- I'll Take Two! USAF to Buy a Bankrupt Russian Firm's 747s for new Air Force One Sputnik 13 Aug 2017 -- The US is slated to replace its aging Air Force One fleet with two undelivered Boeing 747 aircraft originally intended for a now-bankrupt Russian airline.
- Russian Aerospace Forces Learnt 'New Methods of Striking Targets' in Syria Sputnik 13 Aug 2017 -- The combat training of Russian pilots and the system designed to train cadets has been adjusted taking into account the experience gained by the Russian military in Syria, the commander in chief of the Russian Aerospace Forces, Viktor Bondarev, said.
- More Chinese military aircraft spotted near eastern Taiwan CNA 13 Aug 2017 -- Two Chinese military surveillance aircraft were seen flying east of Taiwan on Sunday, the third time in August that Chinese military planes were seen near Taiwan, according to Taiwan's Ministry of National Defense.
- Iran's Defense Ministry to continue missile activities: General Press TV 13 Aug 2017 -- Brigadier General Amir Hatami, who has been nominated as defense minister in President Hassan Rouhani's new cabinet, has vowed to continue boosting Iran's missile program.
- Iranian Parliament Increases Funding For Missiles, IRGC In Reaction To U.S. Sanctions RFE/RL 13 Aug 2017 -- Iran's parliament has given initial approval to a bill to increase spending on the country's missile program and the Islamic Revolutionary Guards Corps (IRGC) in response to recent sanctions imposed by the United States.
- Iranian Navy Commander Says Tehran Plans to Send Ships to Atlantic Sputnik 13 Aug 2017 -- Iran plans to send ships to western Atlantic Ocean in the near future, Iranian Navy Commander Rear Admiral Habibollah Sayyari said.
- Iran Parliament Approves Increase in Funding to Its Missile Program VOA 13 Aug 2017 -- Iranian legislators voted Sunday on a bill to increase spending of the country's missile ballistic program.
- Libyan National Army Head Arrives in Moscow for Talks With Lavrov Sputnik 13 Aug 2017 -- The commander of the Libyan National Army arrived in Moscow for the talks with the Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov.
- Syria has increased government-held areas by 2.5 times in 2 months: Russia Press TV 13 Aug 2017 -- Russia says Syria has managed to increase the size of the government-held areas across the Arab country by two and half times in just two months, calling the achievement a "great success."
- Syrians return home in droves, mostly to Aleppo Press TV 13 Aug 2017 -- More than 600,000 Syrians have returned to their homes in the seven months from January, mostly to the northwestern province of Aleppo which the government liberated at the end of 2016.
- How This Syria's Neighbor Plans to Eliminate Daesh in Border Areas Sputnik 13 Aug 2017 -- The Lebanese Armed Forces continue their military operation against Daesh in border areas with Syria. On Thursday, the military shelled Daesh positions with heavy artillery and rockets.
- Deir ez-Zor Liberation Means Victory Over Daesh – Russia Defense Minister Sputnik 13 Aug 2017 -- The liberation of Syria's northwestern city of Deir ez-Zor, controlled by the Daesh terrorist organization (outlawed in Russia), would largely mean the successful end of the fight against Daesh, Russian Defense Minister Sergei Shoigu said Sunday.
- Russian Warplanes Help Syrian Army Liberate Daesh Hotbed in Homs Sputnik 13 Aug 2017 -- The Russian Defense Ministry said on Sunday that Russian military aviation helped the Syrian army liberate Daesh's hotbed in the Homs province, the town of As-Sukhnah.
- Syrian Opposition Should Fight Terrorists Within Safe Zones – Shoigu Sputnik 13 Aug 2017 -- According to the Russian defense minister, Syrian armed opposition forces should fight terrorists within the boundaries of the de-escalation zones on their own.
- Size of Terrorist-Free Areas in Syria Increased 2.5 Times With Russia's Support Sputnik 13 Aug 2017 -- Russia Defense Minister Sergei Shoigu said that the size of areas in Syria liberated from the terrorists by the country's army supported by the Russian Aerospace Forces more than doubled over the past two months.
- Lebanese Hezbollah leader says Israel not able to wage new war on Lebanon Press TV 13 Aug 2017 -- The Secretary General of the Lebanese Hezbollah movement says Israel is not able to launch a new war on Lebanon, because it knows that Hezbollah is much more powerful than 2006 and any such war would cost Tel Aviv dearly.
- Senior Shabaab commander defects to Somali military Press TV 13 Aug 2017 -- Somalia has announced that a senior commander of the militant al-Shabaab group has finally defected to the country's military.
- Somali Insurgent Defects VOA 13 Aug 2017 -- A senior Somali militant who had been on the run for several years has surrendered to the government, intelligence official tells VOA Somali.
- Boko Haram militants kill four , torch homes in northeastern Nigeria village Press TV 13 Aug 2017 -- The Takfiri Boko Haram terrorists have killed four people and torched homes in a nighttime raid on a village in northeastern Nigeria.
- Saudi forces cordon off Shia town of Awamiyah: HRW Press TV 13 Aug 2017 -- Human Rights Watch (HRW) says Saudi forces have encircled the predominantly Shia town of Awamiyah and sealed it off since July, raising concerns about the humanitarian situation there.
- Five killed in Kashmir clashes Press TV 13 Aug 2017 -- Armed clashes in Indian-controlled Kashmir have left three militants and two Indian forces dead.
- Analysts: Trump's Mixed Russia Policy Still Taking Shape VOA 13 Aug 2017 -- U.S. President Donald Trump's reluctant support for tighter sanctions against Russia and recent comments about Russia have been interpreted in Moscow as a turning point in hopes for improved relations.
- CIA Director Pompeo: Venezuela's Situation Continues to Deteriorate VOA 13 Aug 2017 -- CIA Director Mike Pompeo says Venezuela could "very much" become a risk to the United States.
- Pence Visits Latin America as Venezuela Crisis Grows VOA 13 Aug 2017 -- U.S. Vice President Mike Pence heads Sunday to Latin America for a week-long trip to meet with the leaders of Colombia, Argentina, Chile and Panama.
- US to experience '15 Vietnams' in potential war with Venezuela: FM Press TV 13 Aug 2017 -- The Venezuelan foreign minister says the United States, which has threatened Venezuela with military action, would experience 15 times as many difficulties as it suffered in the Vietnam War.
- Opposition claims 100 killed in Kenya post-election unrest Press TV 13 Aug 2017 -- A member of Kenya's opposition has claimed that 100 people have been killed in the ongoing post-election violence in the country.
- Kenyan Opposition: 'They Want to Steal Our Victory' VOA 13 Aug 2017 -- Near a railway track in Nairobi's Kibera slum, at least a thousand supporters gathered Sunday afternoon to hear remarks from Kenya's opposition leader Raila Odinga, who recently lost the hotly contested presidential race to incumbent Uhuru Kenyatta.
- Kenya's Odinga vows more action on vote result Press TV 13 Aug 2017 -- The loser in recent presidential elections in Kenya Raila Odinga has vowed he would not remain silent in the face of what he describes as rigged vote results and says supporters should skip work until he makes a major announcement on more anti-government actions.
- N Korean leader playing dangerous game with US: McMaster Press TV 13 Aug 2017 -- US National Security Adviser H.R. McMaster has said North Korean leader Kim Jong-un is playing a very dangerous game with the United States.
- More Than 10,000 North Koreans Given US Visas in Past 20 Years VOA 13 Aug 2017 -- The U.S. has issued more than 10,000 visas to North Koreans in the past 20 years, including 18 from March to June this year, a Voice of America analysis of visa records shows.
- Top US General Focusing on Diplomacy for N. Korea, but Preparing Military Options VOA 13 Aug 2017 -- The top U.S. general is on the Korean Peninsula as annual U.S. and South Korean military exercises risk further increasing tensions with North Korea.
- FM: Iran mulls US disloyalties in dealing with JCPOA IRNA 13 Aug 2017 -- Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif said on Sunday that Iran mulls sound implementation of the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA), the US disloyalties along with increasing level of cooperation with our neighboring countries.
- Iranian president: JCPOA to benefit whole globe IRNA 13 Aug 2017 -- President Hassan Rouhani said on Sunday that implementation of the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA) will be in interest of the county, region and the world.
- Iran Parliament firmly approves anti-US bill IRNA 13 Aug 2017 -- Iranian lawmakers on Sunday overwhelmingly voted to approve a bill aimed at countering Washington's adventurous and terrorist activities in the region.
- World nations stand with Iran on JCPOA: Rouhani Press TV 13 Aug 2017 -- Iranian President Hassan Rouhani says the 2015 nuclear agreement benefits the entire region and the world, warning that any attempt to damage the deal will backfire.
- Iran Majlis passes motion in response to US sanctions Press TV 13 Aug 2017 -- Iran's lawmakers have overwhelmingly approved a motion in response to recent US sanctions, voting to boost spending on Tehran's missile program and the Islamic Revolution Guards Corps' defense mechanism.
- Israel issues restraining order against striking workers of Dimona reactor Press TV 13 Aug 2017 -- Israel has approved measures launching emergency regulations against striking employees at the Negev Nuclear facility in Dimona.
- Road To Dispossession: Locals Pushed Aside For Trans-Crimea Highway RFE/RL 13 Aug 2017 -- For years and even decades, residents of the Crimean city of Kerch have tended orchards and gardens in the green dacha community of Zaliv.
- U.S., Four European Countries Call On Kosovo's Political Leaders To Stave Off Crisis RFE/RL 13 Aug 2017 -- The United States and four Western European countries have called on political leaders in Kosovo to stave off a political crisis after being unable to elect a speaker or move forward with the formation of a new government.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|