10 August 2017 Military News
- OIF / OND / OEF / OIR / OFS Casualty Update 10 Aug 2017[PDF]
- Inherent Resolve Strikes Target ISIS in Syria, Iraq AFPS 10 Aug 2017 -- U.S. and coalition military forces continued to attack the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria yesterday, conducting 18 strikes consisting of 29 engagements, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials reported today.
- OIR Spokesman: No Safe Havens Left for ISIS in Syria or Iraq AFPS 10 Aug 2017 -- With 50 percent of Raqqa, Syria, now under the control of Syrian Defense Forces and holding forces in place in Mosul, Iraq, the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria has no safe haven left in either country, the Operation Inherent Resolve spokesman said today.
- Department of Defense Press Briefing by Colonel Dillon via teleconference from Baghdad, Iraq DoD 10 Aug 2017 -- Presenter: Colonel Ryan Dillon, Combined Joint Task Force-Operation Inherent Resolve Spokesman; Colonel Rob Manning, Director, Defense Press Office
- McCAIN CALLS FOR NEW STRATEGY FOR AFGHANISTAN Office of Senator John McCain 10 Aug 2017 -- U.S. Senator John McCain (R-AZ), Chairman of the Senate Armed Services Committee, today announced an amendment he has filed to the National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2018 (NDAA) that offers a new strategy for success for the ongoing war in Afghanistan.
- Pakistan says no military solution to Afghan conflict IRNA 10 Aug 2017 -- Pakistan says there is no military solution to Afghan conflict and the crisis in the country can be solved only by holding dialog between all the parties, including Taliban.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Guard Bureau vice chief touts force, emphasizes 'Always Ready, Always There' Army News 10 Aug 2017 -- For Army Lt. Gen. Dan Hokanson, the unpredictable environment we live in today means that Guard members need to embrace their motto "Always Ready, Always There" now more than ever.
- Army, British soldiers seamlessly integrate air and land in Estonian exercise Army News 10 Aug 2017 -- US Army Soldiers of the 3rd General Support Aviation Battalion, 10th Aviation Regiment, 10th Combat Aviation Brigade, 10th Mountain Division and the 175th Wing, Maryland Air National Guard trained with NATO Allies during a combined aerial-ground exercise near Jagala, Estonia on August 10, 2017.
- Special Forces Soldiers field new, compact water treatment equipment for advanced missions Army News 10 Aug 2017 -- Soldiers with the Sustainment and Distribution Company of the 10th Special Forces Group (Airborne) worked to increase their combat effectiveness within the special operations community by performing water purification training July 27, 2017 at Fort Carson, Colorado.
- Media Availability with Secretary Mattis at DIUx DoD 10 Aug 2017 -- Presenter: Defense Secretary Jim Mattis
- Media Availability by Secretary Mattis en route to Seattle DoD 10 Aug 2017 -- Presenter: Defense Secretary Jim Mattis
- Russian Surveillance Plane Flies Low Over Washington, Creating Stir RFE/RL 10 Aug 2017 -- A Russian plane has conducted a surveillance flight over the U.S. Capitol building, Central Intelligence Agency, Pentagon, and other critical government centers in Washington after being cleared by the Pentagon.
- Indian Navy Floats Global Tender for High-Tech Night Vision Helmets Sputnik 10 Aug 2017 -- The Indian Navy has requisitioned for two options - uncooled thermal imaging devices and image intensifier tube with wide field of view.
- India Freezes Purchase of Additional AH-64E Apache From US Sputnik 10 Aug 2017 -- Indian Army was to receive its first tranche of eleven AH-64E Apache helicopters under the options clause of an earlier deal; but government says it has no immediate plans to place the order.
- Iranian cmdr: Armed forces' readiness deterrent to enemies IRNA 10 Aug 2017 -- Readiness and authority of the Iranian armed forces is a deterrent factor against the enemies and a source of honor for the country, said Deputy Commander-in-Chief of the Army Brigadier General Ahmad Reza Pourdastan.
- Government of Thailand - RGM-84L Harpoon Block II Surface Launched Missiles DSCA 10 Aug 2017 -- The State Department has made a determination approving a possible Foreign Military Sale to the Government of Thailand for RGM-84L Harpoon Block II Surface Launched Missiles. The estimated cost is $24.9 million. The Defense Security Cooperation Agency delivered the required certification notifying Congress of this possible sale on August 9, 2017.
- Super Tigers: New Upgrades to Keep Aging Thai F-5s Flying Into the 2030s Sputnik 10 Aug 2017 -- The Thai Royal Air Force (TRAF) is enhancing the readiness of its fleet via an upgrade package that will transform four F-5E Tigers into bonafide F-5T Super Tigers.
- Experts Debate Pros and Cons of Lethal Arms for Ukraine VOA 10 Aug 2017 -- U.S. military experts are lining up on either side of a debate on whether to supply lethal defensive weapons to Ukraine, a move that would mark a turning point in U.S. policy on Kyiv's 3-year-old conflict with Russian-backed separatists.
- Department Press Briefing - August 10, 2017 US Dept. of State 10 Aug 2017
- 10 August 2017 - Daily Press Briefing by the Office of the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General United Nations 10 Aug 2017
- Chinese Defense Ministry Calls on US to Stop Provocations in South China Sea Sputnik 10 Aug 2017 -- The Chinese government urges the United States to immediately stop provocative activities in the South China Sea, which impede bilateral relations and mutual trust between the armed forces of the two countries, the Chinese Defense Ministry said in a statement Thursday.
- Beijing Outraged as US Destroyer Approaches Disputed South China Sea Island Sputnik 10 Aug 2017 -- The Chinese Foreign Ministry called on the United States to respect China's sovereignty and security interests after the US guided missile destroyer John S. McCain approached a disputed island in the South China Sea.
- Great Wall of Turkey: Ankara Builds Massive Barrier Along Iranian Border Sputnik 10 Aug 2017 -- Turkish authorities have begun the construction of a huge wall along the border with Iran, claiming that this fortification is needed to protect the country against the Kurdistan Workers' Party.
- Turkey Restricts Border Crossing With Syria Due to Terrorist Threat - Minister Sputnik 10 Aug 2017 -- Turkey's Customs Minister Bulent Tufenkci said that Ankara put restrictions on the Turkish border crossing at Cilvegozu checkpoint due to seizure of Bab Al-Hawa checkpoint on the Syrian territory by a terrorist group.
- Syrian govt. forces, allies recapture more areas near Jordan border Press TV 10 Aug 2017 -- Syrian government forces, backed by fighters from allied popular defense groups, have continued their counter-terrorism operations in the country's southernmost province of Suwayda, and gained more ground in their fight against foreign-sponsored Takfiri militants.
- Syrian Army Retakes Some 500 Square Miles From Daesh in As Suwayda Sputnik 10 Aug 2017 -- Syrian government forces liberated 1,300 square kilometers (500 square miles) of the country's territory from terrorists in the country's southern As Suwayda province and a 30-kilometer (18.6 mile) stretch of the Jordanian border, according to local media.
- Syrian Army Repels Daesh Attack in Homs, 80 Terrorists Killed Sputnik 10 Aug 2017 -- The Syrian army has repelled a powerful attack by militants of the Daesh terrorist group (banned in Russia) in the east of Homs province, the Syrian national agency SANA reported Thursday.
- US, Turkey, KRG against Hashd Sha'abi inclusion in Tal Afar battle: Cmdr. Press TV 10 Aug 2017 -- A high-ranking commander of the Popular Mobilization Units (PMU) has described the United States and Turkey as the major parties opposed to the inclusion of the pro-government Iraqi forces in the forthcoming operation to liberate the northern city of Tal Afar from Daesh terrorists.
- Iraq launches UN-supported action plan to save lives of mothers and newborns UN News 10 Aug 2017 -- Decades of conflict and under-investment have placed a huge strain on Iraq's healthcare system – with pregnant women and their babies paying for it with their lives, according to three United Nations agencies.
- Lebanese army annihilates Daesh terrorists IRNA 10 Aug 2017 -- The Lebanese army, in an attack to the Daesh (ISIS) terrorist group's positions in Ras Baalbek heights on northeast of the country on Wednesday night, eradicated a number of the terrorists.
- Libyan Army Starts Liberating Derna From Al-Qaeda - Spokesman Sputnik 10 Aug 2017 -- The Libyan National Army (LNA) began military operation to liberate the country's eastern city of Derna from the al-Qaeda terrorist organization (outlawed in Russia), according to the army's spokesman Ahmed Mismari.
- Israel to speed up underground Gaza wall construction: Cmdr. Press TV 10 Aug 2017 -- An Israeli military commander says the regime will speed up building a huge wall around the blockaded Gaza Strip in a bid to prevent what it claims to be tunneling into the occupied territories.
- Philippine Army Pursues Offensive Against Daesh-Linked Terrorists in Marawi Sputnik 10 Aug 2017 -- Philippine military forces continued their offensive against terror groups linked with Daesh (a terrorist group outlawed in Russia) on Thursday in city of Marawi on the southern Mindanao island, media reported, citing a military official.
- UN agency begins moving hunger-relief assistance to Nigeria's troubled northeast UN News 10 Aug 2017 -- The United Nations humanitarian agency fighting hunger has begun transporting food assistance to Nigeria's crisis-hit northeast, where people – displaced by Boko Haram violence and the fight against it – face the threat of famine.
- Trump Stiffens Resolve Against North Korea VOA 10 Aug 2017 -- U.S. President Donald Trump stiffened his resolve against North Korea Thursday, saying that if Pyongyang initiates warfare "things will happen to them like they never thought possible."
- Trump Faces Crisis on North Korea Amid Sliding Polls VOA 10 Aug 2017 -- President Donald Trump is facing his greatest foreign policy challenge to date in dealing with a nuclear-potent North Korea. But the test comes at a difficult time politically for the president. Recent polls show that Trump's standing at home has weakened because of doubts about his leadership and his stalled domestic agenda.
- North Korea Finalizing Test Missile Launches Aimed Toward Guam VOA 10 Aug 2017 -- North Korea said Thursday it is finalizing a plan to launch a salvo of four ballistic missiles off the shores of the U.S. territory of Guam, the newest provocation in the war of words between Pyongyang and Washington.
- DPRK slams Japan for "hyping up threats" from Pyongyang People's Daily 10 Aug 2017 -- The Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) on Thursday slammed Japan for "hyping up threats" from the DPRK over its nuclear and missile program.
- N.Korea "seriously examining" Guam missile strike plan amid Pyongyang-Washington row People's Daily 10 Aug 2017 -- North Korea on Thursday renewed its hard-bitten rhetoric amid the Pyongyang-Washington wrangle, as it announced that it is "seriously" examining a plan for an enveloping strike on Guam to signal a "crucial warning" to the United States.
- DPRK military says plan to strike Guam to be ready by mid-August People's Daily 10 Aug 2017 -- The Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) military has said that its plan to strike Guam with intermediate missiles will be ready by mid-August and its implementation will depend on a decision by DPRK top leader Kim Jong Un, the Korean Central News Agency said Thursday.
- Maybe 'fire and fury' warning to North Korea 'wasn't tough enough' Press TV 10 Aug 2017 -- US President Donald Trump has issued another apocalyptic warning to North Korea, saying his previous threat to hit the country with American "fire and fury" maybe "wasn't tough enough."
- Trump administration faces deep divisions over North Korea threat, analysts say Press TV 10 Aug 2017 -- US President Donald Trump's "fire and fury" warning to North Korea rattled US allies and adversaries alike and prompted senior American officials to send mixed signals on Pyongyang, a sign of ongoing deep divisions in the Trump administration.
- Plans to fire missiles at Guam ready by mid-August: North Korea Press TV 10 Aug 2017 -- North Korea has announced that it will develop plans by mid-August to fire four intermediate-range missiles at the US territory of Guam.
- Trump Says Warning To North Korea 'Maybe Wasn't Tough Enough' RFE/RL 10 Aug 2017 -- U.S. President Donald Trump has said his comments that North Korea "will be met with fire and fury" if it threatened the United States again may not have been "tough enough."
- Democrats in US Congress Urge Tillerson to Moderate Trump Rhetoric on N. Korea Sputnik 10 Aug 2017 -- Sixty-four Democratic lawmakers in the US Congress are seeking help from Secretary of State Rex Tillerson to tone down President Donald Trump's threats of military action against North Korea, according to a copy of a letter released on Thursday.
- 'Strong and Resolute': South Korea, Japan Issue 'Stern Warning' to North Korea Sputnik 10 Aug 2017 -- South Korea and Japan reaffirmed their support for the US on Thursday following North Korea's announcement that they are considering a ballistic missile attack against Andersen Air Force Base on the US island territory of Guam in Micronesia.
- Pentagon Hopes for Diplomatic Solution on N. Korea, But Has Military Options Sputnik 10 Aug 2017 -- The US Defense Department is hoping for a diplomatic solution that would halt North Korea's quest for a nuclear intercontinental ballistic missile (ICBM) capable of reaching the United States, but has military solutions ready if ordered to act, Secretary of Defense Jim Mattis said in a press briefing on Thursday.
- S. Korea urges DPRK to stop threatening rhetoric People's Daily 10 Aug 2017 -- South Korea on Thursday urged the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) to stop letting out a threatening rhetoric that runs against the consensus of the international community.
- Salehi reinstated as AEOI chief IRNA 10 Aug 2017 -- President Hassan Rouhani in a decree on Thursday reappointed Ali Akbar Salehi as vice president and head of Atomic Energy Organization of Iran (AEOI).
- Deposed Pakistani premier criticizes top judges for his ouster Press TV 10 Aug 2017 -- Pakistan's deposed prime minister Nawaz Sharif has criticized the country's Supreme Court judges for disqualifying him from office.
- Deposed Pakistani Prime Minister Continues March Toward Lahore RFE/RL 10 Aug 2017 -- Deposed Pakistani Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif continued his journey from Islamabad toward his hometown of Lahore on August 10, a trip that appears aimed at displaying his political influence after a Supreme Court decision forced him out late last month.
- India-Pakistan Row May Grow as Lashkar Leader Tries to Found Political Party Sputnik 10 Aug 2017 -- India is concerned that the launching of the political outfit by Hafiz Saeed, co-founder of terrorist organization Lashkar-e-Taiba, may increase cross border terrorism.
- New Wave of Media Arrests in Turkey VOA 10 Aug 2017 -- In dawn raids, Turkish police enforced arrest warrants on 35 media workers, including journalists, in connection with last year's coup attempt. Local media reports say at least nine people were detained. The latest arrests add to the more than 150 reporters already jailed in a crackdown following the botched military takeover in July of last year.
- Detention warrants issued for 35 media employees: State Media Press TV 10 Aug 2017 -- Turkish authorities have issued detention warrants for 35 journalists and media workers on suspicion of links to the movement of US-based cleric Fethullah Gulen, whom Ankara accuses of having masterminded a failed military coup last year.
- Head of Venezuelan National Constituent Assembly Calls New US Sanctions Illicit Sputnik 10 Aug 2017 -- Head of the Constituent Assembly of Venezuela Delcy Rodriguez stated that the new US sanctions targeting Venezuelan government officials aimed at intimidating the voters.
- US imposes new sanctions on Venezuela, targets members Constituent Assembly Press TV 10 Aug 2017 -- The United States has imposed new sanctions on Venezuela following the oil-rich nation's election of a new assembly tasked with rewriting the constitution.
- Cuba starts investigation into alleged incidents concerning U.S. diplomats People's Daily 10 Aug 2017 -- The Cuban Foreign Ministry said Wednesday it had started an "exhaustive" investigation into the bizarre incidents which the United States said had caused physical symptoms in its diplomats serving here.
- U.S. expels two Cuban diplomats over "incidents" in Havana People's Daily 10 Aug 2017 -- The United States has expelled two Cuban diplomats in late May after "incidents" at the U.S. Embassy in Havana, the U.S. State Department said Wednesday.
- Cuba probing 'incidents' involving US diplomats Press TV 10 Aug 2017 -- Cuba says it is investigating allegations by the United States that unspecified "incidents" caused physical symptoms in some US nationals serving at the American Embassy in the Cuban capital, Havana.
- US expels 2 Cuban diplomats Press TV 10 Aug 2017 -- The United States has expelled two diplomats from the Cuban Embassy in Washington, DC, according to Department of State spokesperson Heather Nauert.
- Saudi Arabia sentences senior Shia clergyman to 13 years in prison Press TV 10 Aug 2017 -- A court in Saudi Arabia has sentenced distinguished Shia cleric Ayatollah Sheikh Hussein al-Radhi to 13 years in prison as the Riyadh regime presses ahead with its heavy-handed crackdown on members of the religious community.
- South Africa opposition moves to dissolve parliament Press TV 10 Aug 2017 -- South Africa's opposition party in parliament has submitted a motion to dissolve the national assembly and hold fresh elections.
- Kenya's Electoral Commission: 'We Are Now in the Final Stretch' VOA 10 Aug 2017 -- The results of Kenya's presidential election are expected Friday, as people continue to wait to learn the outcome of Tuesday's presidential poll pitting incumbent Uhuru Kenyatta against opposition leader Raila Odinga.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|