05 August 2017 Military News
- Coalition Strikes Continue Against ISIS in Syria, Iraq AFPS 05 Aug 2017 -- U.S. and coalition military forces continued to attack the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria yesterday, conducting 12 strikes consisting of 16 engagements, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials reported today.
- McMaster defends US war strategy in Afghanistan Press TV 05 Aug 2017 -- US National Security Adviser H.R. McMaster has defended President Donald Trump's military strategy in Afghanistan, after the president said the United States is "losing" in the war-torn country.
Defense Policy / Programs
- U.S. Army halts use of Chinese-made drones over cyber concerns People's Daily 05 Aug 2017 -- The U.S. Army has ordered its members to stop using drones made by the world-leading SZ DJI Technology Co Ltd because of "cyber vulnerabilities" in the products.
- Xi's Army Day speech signals stricter defense of China's interests: Russian expert People's Daily 05 Aug 2017 -- Chinese President Xi Jinping's recent speech at the Army Day parade reflects "a gradual transition to a stricter defense of its interests" in the world, a Russian expert has said.
- New missile a more mobile deterrent People's Daily 05 Aug 2017 -- The People's Liberation Army Rocket Force has improved its strategic deterrence capability, thanks to the service of a new missile.
- China seals off parts of Yellow Sea for 'large-scale' naval drills Press TV 05 Aug 2017 -- China has temporarily sealed off a part of the Yellow Sea for what it described as "large-scale" military exercises, the second drill off the coast of the Korean Peninsula in the past two weeks.
- India Agrees to Enhance Millitary Capability of Kazakhstan Sputnik 05 Aug 2017 -- India aspires to create a market for its defense equipment in Central Asian countries including Kazakhstan after the Chabahar port becomes operational within a year or two.
- Iraqi PM rules out dismantling of Hashd al-Sha'abi Press TV 05 Aug 2017 -- Iraqi Prime Minister Haider al-Abadi has categorically ruled out the dismantling of the Popular Mobilization Units (PMU), commonly known as Hashd al-Sha'abi.
- Leading Iraqi Clerics Call For Dismantling Iran-Backed Shi'ite Militias RFE/RL 05 Aug 2017 -- Leading Iraqi Shi'ite clerics are calling for the disbandment of powerful Iran-backed Shi'ite militias now that the nation has retaken its second-largest city, Mosul, from the Islamic State extremist group.
- Pentagon Reportedly Recommends Lethal Aid Package For Ukraine RFE/RL 05 Aug 2017 -- The U.S. Defense Department has recommended sending a package of lethal military aid to Ukraine worth about $50 million, the U.S. NBC television network has reported.
- Yemen's Ansarullah warns of repercussions of support for Saudi crimes Press TV 05 Aug 2017 -- The Yemeni Houthi Ansarullah movement has cautioned the international community against providing a cover for Saudi Arabia's atrocities in Yemen, as the death toll from the Saudi-led war on the impoverished country increases by the day.
- Syrian forces liberate last major Daesh-held town in Homs province Press TV 05 Aug 2017 -- A UK-based monitoring group has reported that Syrian government forces have liberated the last major town in the Homs province from the Daesh terrorist group.
- Russian Support to Promote Settling Crisis in Syria - Syrian Opposition Figure Sputnik 05 Aug 2017 -- According to the leader of the Syrian opposition group, the establishment of contacts with Russia is the most effective way to handle Syrian conflict.
- Iraqi police forces uncover tunnels used by Daesh in Mosul's Old City Press TV 05 Aug 2017 -- Iraqi security forces have discovered a network of long tunnels used by members of the Daesh Takfiri terrorist group during a clean-up operation in the country's second largest city Mosul.
- Turkish military sends more munitions to Syrian border over alleged threats from YPG Press TV 05 Aug 2017 -- The Turkish military has reinforced its presence in the other side of the barbed wire border with Syria amid perceived threats from the Kurdish People's Protection Units (YPG), a major component of the US-backed militiamen from the so-called Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF).
- Russia slams new EU bans over Crimea gas turbines as 'unfriendly' Press TV 05 Aug 2017 -- Russia has denounced as "unfriendly and unjustified" a European Union decision to expand its anti-Moscow sanctions list over Moscow's delivery of Siemens gas turbines to Crimea.
- Military clashes possible as border standoff drags on: expert Global Times 05 Aug 2017 -- China will not allow the military standoff between China and India in Doklam to last for too long, and there may be a small-scale military operation to expel Indian troops within two weeks, Chinese experts said after six ministries and institutions made remarks on the incident within the past 24 hours.
- Patience has 'bottom line', India told People's Daily 05 Aug 2017 -- India must not expect China to concede its violation of China's territory, analysts said, after a spokesman from the Ministry of National Defense issued a statement warning India to abandon illusions.
- India Wary of More Chinese Presence in Kashmir Through Dam Projects Sputnik 05 Aug 2017 -- India has strong reservations against the string of projects undertaken by China in the Kashmir region under the Belt and Road Initiative. Addition of a project as big as the Indus Cascade to that list is likely to lead to more protests from India and to raise tension in the region.
- Indian Security Forces Eliminate Three Terrorists in Kashmir Sputnik 05 Aug 2017 -- Indian security forces eliminated three militants of the Lashkar-e-Taiba terrorist group (banned in Russia) in the state of Jammu and Kashmir, one police officer was injured during the operation, local media reported on Saturday.
- Indian troops kill three Kashmiri militants in gunbattle Press TV 05 Aug 2017 -- At least three militants have been killed in a gunfight with Indian forces in the disputed Himalayan region, triggering new protests against the Indian rule.
- Russia's Kislyak Denies Inappropriate Contacts With Trump Adviser RFE/RL 05 Aug 2017 -- Former Russian Ambassador to the United States Sergei Kislyak has said that his discussions with former U.S. national security adviser Michael Flynn were "completely appropriate, calm, and absolutely transparent."
- Venezuela's new assembly sacks chief prosecutor amid unrest Press TV 05 Aug 2017 -- Venezuela's newly-installed constitutional assembly has sacked the country's chief prosecutor as a political crisis over President Nicolas Maduro's alleged push to dismantle democratic institutions keeps dividing the South American nation.
- Maduro says country facing armed insurgency, lambastes prosecutor's office Press TV 05 Aug 2017 -- Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro says his country is facing an "armed insurgency," also criticizing the prosecutor's office for failure to control the opposition-led violent protests across the Latin American country.
- Hassan Rouhani sworn in as president of Iran for second term IRNA 05 Aug 2017 -- President Hassan Rouhani is sworn in as Iran's president for another four-year term in an official ceremony held at the Iranian parliament in Tehran on Saturday evening.
- EU underlines all sides' commitment to JCPOA IRNA 05 Aug 2017 -- High Representative of the European Union for Foreign Affairs and Security Policy Federica Mogherini underlined all sides' commitment to the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA).
- Zarif warns Europe of US effort to eliminate JCPOA IRNA 05 Aug 2017 -- Foreign Minister Mohammad-Javad Zarif said Europe should be vigilant of the US President Donald Trump's efforts to remove the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA).
- US violations of JCPOA destructive, warns Rouhani Press TV 05 Aug 2017 -- Iranian President Hassan Rouhani has warned that the United States' repeated violations of the landmark nuclear agreement between Iran and the P5+1 group of countries, known as the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA), would have a "destructive" impact on the deal's implementation.
- Rouhani sworn in for 2nd term as Iran president Press TV 05 Aug 2017 -- Hassan Rouhani has been sworn in as Iran's 12th president in the Iranian capital in the presence of the country's high-ranking officials as well as leaders and senior politicians from around the world.
- Iran's President Rohani Sworn In For His Second Term In Office RFE/RL 05 Aug 2017 -- Iranian President Hassan Rohani has been sworn in for his second term in an open parliament session in Tehran.
- The Challenges Iranian President Rohani Faces In His New Term RFE/RL 05 Aug 2017 -- As Iranian President Hassan Rohani enters his second term in office, he faces a number of challenges both at home and from abroad.
- Iranian President Vows Response to Any Nuke Deal Violation Amid New US Sanctions Sputnik 05 Aug 2017 -- Tehran will take countermeasures responding to any potential breaches of the Iran nuclear deal, however it will never be the first party to violate the agreement, reelected Iranian President Hassan Rouhani said Saturday.
- Inauguration Ceremony of Iranian President Rouhani Held in Tehran Sputnik 05 Aug 2017 -- The inauguration ceremony of reelected Iranian President Hassan Rouhani was held in Tehran on Saturday.
- Rouhani Sworn in for 2nd Term Amid Heightened Tensions With US VOA 05 Aug 2017 -- Iranian President Hassan Rouhani was sworn in for his second term Saturday after easily winning the presidential election in May.
- South Korean FM says open to meeting North Korean counterpart Press TV 05 Aug 2017 -- South Korea's new foreign minister has expressed readiness to meet and discuss inter-Korean issues with her North Korean counterpart on the sidelines of a security summit in the Philippines.
- UNSC votes unanimously for stricter anti-North Korea sanctions Press TV 05 Aug 2017 -- The United Nations Security Council has unanimously voted in favor of a US-drafted resolution significantly bolstering its anti-North Korea sanctions.
- UN Security Council toughens sanctions on DPR Korea over ballistic missile launches UN News 05 Aug 2017 -- In response to the launches of ballistic missiles of possible intercontinental range by the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK), the United Nations Security Council today moved to strengthen sanctions on the Northeast Asian country's exports.
- North Korea blasts unilateral US bans on states as 'anachronistic' Press TV 05 Aug 2017 -- North Korea has blasted the United States for its "anachronistic" efforts to impose unilateral sanctions on sovereign states as well as enforcing a "childish" travel ban on Americans wishing to visit the Asian country.
- President Rouhani: Iran supporting Iraq's national unity IRNA 05 Aug 2017 -- President Hassan Rouhani said Iran is supporting national unity of Iraq.
- Iran, Turkey, Qatar mull land route amid Saudi crisis Press TV 05 Aug 2017 -- Turkey seeks to establish a land route via Iran for trade with Qatar which has relied on both countries for sourcing food since a diplomatic crisis broke out with Saudi Arabia.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|