03 August 2017 Military News
- OIF / OND / OEF / OIR / OFS Casualty Update 03 Aug 2017[PDF]
- Coalition Removes ISIS Terrorists From Battlefield AFPS 03 Aug 2017 -- Coalition airstrikes continue to target and kill Islamic State of Iraq and Syria leaders and foreign fighters in Syria to support coalition partner forces and degrade ISIS' ability to inspire, resource and direct terror attacks around the world, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials said today.
- Coalition-Backed Syrian Forces Close in on Raqqa Despite ISIS Tactics, Official Says AFPS 03 Aug 2017 -- Syrian Democratic Forces continue to progress every day in their fight to retake Raqqa, Syria, from Islamic State of Iraq and Syria control despite the enemy's fierce and suicidal tactics, the spokesman for Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve told reporters at the Pentagon today.
- Department of Defense Press Briefing by Colonel Dillon via teleconference from Baghdad, Iraq DoD 03 Aug 2017 -- Presenter: Colonel Ryan Dillon, Combined Joint Task Force-Operation Inherent Resolve Spokesman; Captain Jeff Davis, Director, Defense Press Office
- Trump wants Afghan commander fired because US 'losing' war Press TV 03 Aug 2017 -- US President Donald Trump has said in a recent meeting with his national security team that the United States is "losing" in Afghanistan, according to a new report.
- Trump Proposed Firing U.S. Army Commander In Afghanistan: Reports RFE/RL 03 Aug 2017 -- U.S. President Donald Trump recently proposed firing the top U.S. Army commander in Afghanistan out of frustration that the war against the Taliban there remains stalemated, media reports said on August 2.
- NATO Chief Condemns Deadly Attack on NATO Convoy in Afghanistan Sputnik 03 Aug 2017 -- NATO Secretary General condemned on Thursday the attack on a NATO convoy in Afghanistan which claimed lives of two US soldiers.
- Deadly Attack on US Troops Prompts Rare Condemnation by Pakistan's Army Chief VOA 03 Aug 2017 -- In a rare move, Pakistan's military chief Thursday condemned as terrorism a Taliban attack in neighboring Afghanistan in which two U.S. troops were killed and four others wounded.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Selva Discusses Nature of Nuclear Deterrence at Mitchell Institute Forum AFPS 03 Aug 2017 -- Nuclear deterrence is the most important mission for the Defense Department, and the nation cannot afford to let this capability atrophy, the vice chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff said here today.
- Fairchild AFB ready for Mobility Guardian AFNS 03 Aug 2017 -- Fairchild Air Force Base is scheduled to participate in a regional joint-force exercise to promote total force readiness from July 31 to Aug. 11, 2017.
- USS Carney Emphasizes Damage Control Training NNS 03 Aug 2017 -- "Major fuel-oil leak! Major fuel-oil leak! Major fuel-oil leak reported in main engine room number one. Set Condition II DC; man all repair lockers."
- Norfolk Shipyard Uses Crane Mockup to Save Time and Money on Training NNS 03 Aug 2017 -- Norfolk Naval Shipyard (NNSY) began using a new crane mock-up in July that saves time and money by training employees to use waterfront cranes.
- USS Alaska Earns Trophy for Best Ballistic Missile Submarine NNS 03 Aug 2017 -- The deputy commander of U.S. Strategic Command presented the Omaha Trophy for Best Ballistic Missile Submarine to USS Alaska (SSBN 732) at Naval Submarine Base Kings Bay, Aug. 3.
- Readout of Deputy Secretary Shanahan's Call with U.K. Under Secretary of State and Minister for Defense DoD 03 Aug 2017
- Sukhoi PAK-FA Could Power India's Fifth Gen Fighter Sputnik 03 Aug 2017 -- As a high-level committee clears the deck for signing the second stage of the Indo-Russia fifth generation fighter aircraft (FGFA) project, it is expected the Indian Air Force (IAF) will receive the fifth generation fighter just when 11 squadrons of obsolete MiG-21s and MiG-27s are set to retire in 2024.
- Seoul to Deploy Extra THAAD Units Amid Environment Impact Test - Ministry Sputnik 03 Aug 2017 -- South Korea plans to install additional THAAD system units despite the current environmental impact assessment, the Defense Ministry said on Thursday.
- First submarine export as S. Korea hands over vessel to Indonesia ARIRANG 03 Aug 2017 -- A Korean-built submarine rolls out to sea. Next stop: Indonesia. This submarine, named 'Nagapasa' , is ready for a handover to Indonesia's Ministry of Defense at a shipyard in Geoje , a city in Gyeongsangnam-do province.
- Going Under? Indonesia Gets First New Attack Submarines Since 1980s Sputnik 03 Aug 2017 -- This week the Indonesian Navy commissioned its first attack submarine in 34 years, as the country seeks to expand its abilities in underwater warfare. The commissioning ceremony was held at the southeast Okpo shipyard on Geoje Island, and was attended by Indonesian Minister of Defense Ryamizard Ryacudu.
- Security drill will not simulate attack on president: MND CNA 03 Aug 2017 -- The Ministry of National Defense (MND) on Thursday denied an earlier report that an upcoming national security drill will simulate an attack on a motorcade carrying the country's president and vice president.
- Australia - ALE-70 Radio Frequency Countermeasures (RFCM) DSCA 03 Aug 2017 -- The State Department has made a determination approving a possible Foreign Military Sale to the Government of Australia for ALE-70 Radio Frequency Countermeasures (RFCM). The estimated cost is $108.7 million. The Defense Security Cooperation Agency delivered the required certification notifying Congress of this possible sale on August 2, 2017.
- Explosions At Munitions Depot In Abkhazia Kill Two Russians RFE/RL 03 Aug 2017 -- Two Russian citizens were killed by explosions that ripped through a munitions depot in Georgia's breakaway region of Abkhazia on August 2.
- Abkhazia Depot Blast Kills Two Russian Nationals - Emergencies Ministry Sputnik 03 Aug 2017 -- Two Russian nationals were found dead in Abkhazia depot after a blast injured scores of people, the Abkhazian Emergencies Ministry told Sputnik on Thursday.
- Philippine President Asks Lawmakers to Fund Increase in Troops by 20,000 People Sputnik 03 Aug 2017 -- Senate minority leader Franklin Drilon said that Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte called on the country's Senate and House of Representatives to support budgetary funding for additional 20,000 soldiers in the military.
- Government of Nigeria - A-29 Super Tucano Aircraft, Weapons, and Associated Support DSCA 03 Aug 2017 -- The State Department has made a determination approving a possible Foreign Military Sale to the Government of Nigeria of twelve (12) A-29 Super Tucano aircraft and weapons, including all associated training, spare parts, aviation and ground support equipment, and hangar, facilities, and infrastructure required to support the program. The estimated total case value is $593 million. The Defense Security Cooperation Agency delivered the required certification notifying Congress of this possible sale on August 2, 2017.
- Department Press Briefing - August 3, 2017 US Dept. of State 03 Aug 2017
- Press Gaggle by Deputy Press Secretary Lindsay Walters The White House 03 Aug 2017
- DoD News: Contracts for August 03, 2017
- Russian Helicopters Company to Repair Additional Hungarian Mi-17 Chopper Sputnik 03 Aug 2017 -- The Russian Helicopters company said it has finished the overhaul of four Mi-17 military helicopters for the Hungarian Ministry of Defense, planning on repairing one more chopper on a separate agreement.
- Israel's Rafael Sets Up Anti-Tank Guided Missile Facility With Indian Partner Sputnik 03 Aug 2017 -- Israel's Rafael Defense Systems has inaugurated a joint venture facility with the Kalyani Group to manufacture Spike anti-tank guided missiles in the southern state of Telangana.
- 3 August 2017 - Daily Press Briefing by the Office of the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General United Nations 03 Aug 2017
- UN sanctions 'formidable instrument for global peace and security,' Security Council told UN News 03 Aug 2017 -- United Nations Security Council sanctions are "a formidable instrument for global peace and security," a senior UN political official said today, stressing that these measures, when implemented effectively, can contribute to preventing conflict, countering terrorism and constraining the proliferation of nuclear weapons.
- UN Standing Police Capacity fills critical need in peace operations, underscores outgoing chief UN News 03 Aug 2017 -- Over the past 10 years, the United Nations Standing Police Capacity has filled a critical need in global peace operations by providing them with readily available police expertise, according to the outgoing head of the unit, who says she is proud to have played a part in putting the SPC "on the map," while also highlighting the need to recruit more women officers to carry out this important work.
- PLA Daily calls for withdrawal of trespassing Indian border troops People's Daily 03 Aug 2017 -- The People's Liberation Army's (PLA) flagship newspaper Thursday called for the immediate withdrawal of Indian border troops trespassing in China, warning India not to harbor any illusions about the Chinese military's resolve to defend its territory.
- China warns India of 'serious consequences' over border Press TV 03 Aug 2017 -- China has accused neighboring India of adding troops and constructing roads along its side of the border amid increasing tensions over a standoff in a remote frontier region in the Himalayas.
- New Aftergrowth in India, China Doklam Dispute Sputnik 03 Aug 2017 -- In documents released by the Chinese foreign ministry and the Chinese Embassy in India, Beijing has claimed that a number of Indian troops at Doklam have come down to 40 plus from 400 at one point.
- Russia announces deal on safe zone in Syria's Homs Press TV 03 Aug 2017 -- The Russian army says it has reached a deal with foreign-backed militants in Syria to create a new de-escalation zone in the country's northern parts of Homs province.
- Russia Says New Safe Zone Agreed In Syria RFE/RL 03 Aug 2017 -- Russia's Defense Ministry says it has agreed with Syria's opposition to create a new safe zone north of the city of Homs.
- Russia Reached Deal With Syria Opposition on 3rd Syria Safe Zone - MoD Sputnik 03 Aug 2017 -- Russian Defense Ministry and moderate Syrian opposition reached an agreement on operations of the third de-escalation zone in Syria, Russian MoD spokesman Maj. Gen. Igor Konashenkov said Thursday.
- ISIL's 'genocide' against Yazidis is ongoing, UN rights panel says, calling for international action UN News 03 Aug 2017 -- Marking three years since the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL/Da'esh) attacked the Yazidis in Syria, a United Nations-mandated inquiry has called for justice and rescue plans.
- End of dark presence of al-Nusra Front in Lebanon IRNA 03 Aug 2017 -- By departure of the last bus carrying forces of Al-Nusra and their families from Arsal Heights in Lebanon the dark presence of this Takfiri terrorist group ended in Lebanon after 3 years.
- Lebanon's Hezbollah formally announces end to Arsal operation Press TV 03 Aug 2017 -- Hezbollah has formally announced an end to a security operation aimed at clearing the Lebanese town of Arsal on the border with Syria of al-Qaeda-linked Nusra Front terrorists.
- Last al-Nusra Front Militants in Lebanese Camps Cross Back Into Syria Sputnik 03 Aug 2017 -- Sources with Lebanon's Hezbollah movement reported that buses with Syrian militants and their families who were staying in Lebanese refugee camps crossed back into Syria late on Wednesday.
- 6 killed in fresh clashes in Myanmar's Rakhine Press TV 03 Aug 2017 -- At least six people have been killed in a fresh outbreak of violence in the Muslim-populated state of Rakhine in northwest Myanmar.
- Mauritania: UN rights office voices concern about unrest ahead of constitutional referendum UN News 03 Aug 2017 -- The United Nations human rights office today expressed concern about the ongoing unrest in Mauritania, ahead of the constitutional referendum scheduled for Saturday, particularly the apparent suppression of dissenting voices and the reported use of excessive force by the authorities against protest leaders.
- In South Sudan, UN peacekeeping chief pledges support to displaced civilians in Malakal UN News 03 Aug 2017 -- Having witnessed first-hand various security challenges and humanitarian efforts in South Sudan, the United Nations peacekeeping chief has wrapped up his three-day mission to the country, which included a visit to the UN Protection of Civilians site in Malakal, where he expressed the Organization's resolve to support the return to stability.
- Mueller Seats Grand Jury in Russia Probe, Wall Street Journal Reports VOA 03 Aug 2017 -- Special Counsel Robert Mueller has seated a grand jury, The Wall Street Journal reports, meaning his probe into Russian interference in the 2016 presidential election is growing.
- Trump Rallies Supporters Hours After Report of Grand Jury in Russia Probe VOA 03 Aug 2017 -- President Donald Trump, in a defiant speech at a West Virginia rally Thursday night, called stories about his campaign's alleged ties to Russia "a total fabrication" that makes his political opponents feel better about themselves after their loss of last year's election.
- Trump Sparred with Mexican, Australian Leaders in Contentious Phone Calls VOA 03 Aug 2017 -- U.S. President Donald Trump sparred with the leaders of Mexico and Australia in contentious phone calls shortly after he assumed power in January, newly leaked transcripts show.
- Trump says ties with Russia at 'very dangerous low,' blames Congress sanctions Press TV 03 Aug 2017 -- US President Donald Trump has warned that Washington's ties with Moscow are at a "very dangerous low," and blamed Congress for the situation, a day after he reluctantly signed into law a sanctions bill against Russia.
- Pence: Russia's behavior 'not acceptable' Press TV 03 Aug 2017 -- US President Donald Trump's signing of the recent anti-Russia sanctions bill shows that Washington does not accept Moscow's "destabilizing behaviors."
- Russia: Fresh sanctions remove hope of better relations with the US Press TV 03 Aug 2017 -- Russia has said the fresh US sanctions imposed against Moscow are tantamount to a "full-scale trade war" and destroy prospects for better relations with Washington.
- Trump, Russia Agree: Relationship at Distinct Low Point VOA 03 Aug 2017 -- U.S. President Donald Trump blamed Congress Thursday for creating new tensions with Russia by approving sanctions against Moscow, and the Kremlin agreed the penalties would thwart improved relations.
- Republican Senators Seek to Ramp Up US Border Security VOA 03 Aug 2017 -- One day after President Donald Trump endorsed a plan to reduce and reshape legal immigration to the United States, Republican lawmakers unveiled border security legislation to stem the flow of illegal immigration.
- UN resolution calls on members to block access of terrorists to arms Press TV 03 Aug 2017 -- The United Nations Security Council (UNSC) has unanimously adopted a resolution that calls on all countries to stop the supply of weapons to "terrorists" and extremist groups.
- EU says Iran deal sound, all parties stick to terms Press TV 03 Aug 2017 -- The European Union, which supervises the implementation of the landmark July 2015 nuclear deal between Iran and world powers, says all parties to the agreement remain committed to its implementation.
- Iran says won't be silent on US breach of nuclear deal Press TV 03 Aug 2017 -- Iran has condemned fresh sanctions imposed by the US on the Islamic Republic, stressing that Tehran will not stand silent in the face of Washington's violation of the 2015 multilateral nuclear agreement.
- Ayatollah Khamenei formally endorses Rouhani as Iran president Press TV 03 Aug 2017 -- Leader of the Islamic Revolution Ayatollah Seyyed Ali Khamenei has formally endorsed Hassan Rouhani as president, paving the way for him to take office for a second term as the head of Iran's 12th administration.
- Supreme Leader of Iran Formally Endorses Rouhani After Re-Election as President Sputnik 03 Aug 2017 -- Supreme Leader of Iran Ali Khamenei formally approved the re-election of country's President Hassan Rouhani for his second term at a ceremony held in Tehran.
- Supreme Leader: Today, powerful Iran, knows well how to confront the enemy IRNA 03 Aug 2017 -- Supreme Leader of the Islamic Revolution Ayatollah Seyyed Ali Khamenei said on Thursday that the powerful Iran knows well how to confront the enemies' conspiracies.
- U.S. causes confusion with mixed messages on North Korea in the run up to ASEAN forum ARIRANG 03 Aug 2017 -- U.S. Vice President Mike Pence has said that Washington will not be looking to hold direct talks with North Korean leader Kim Jong-un in order to denuclearize the regime and that the right strategy doesn't involve "engaging North Korea directly."
- DPRK slams US for escalating its military threat People's Daily 03 Aug 2017 -- The Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) on Thursday slammed the United States for escalating military threat, the Korean Central News Agency reported.
- China welcomes Washington's peaceful approach to N Korea Press TV 03 Aug 2017 -- China has expressed a positive response to US Secretary of State Rex Tillerson's assurance that Washington does not seek to topple the North Korean government and is looking forward to resolve standing issues with Pyongyang through dialog.
- US issues ban on traveling to North Korea Press TV 03 Aug 2017 -- The United States has issued a ban prohibiting its citizens traveling to North Korea, following the death of an American national who was imprisoned in the Asian country over espionage charges.
- Probe Confirms S Korean Intel Service Meddled in 2011, 2012 General Elections Sputnik 03 Aug 2017 -- The South Korean National Intelligence Service (NIS) was involved in influencing the results of parliamentary elections in the country in 2011 and 2012, an investigation found, as reported by local media Thursday.
- Germany Claims Vietnam Kidnapped Asylum-Seeker Wanted By Hanoi VOA 03 Aug 2017 -- The German government has condemned Vietnam's "unprecedented and blatant violation" of German and international law by kidnapping a Vietnamese citizen seeking asylum in Berlin and returning him to Hanoi to face criminal charges.
- Maduro dismisses vote rigging charge, delays launch of new assembly Press TV 03 Aug 2017 -- Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro has rejected an allegation that the recent vote on the powerful national assembly was rigged, calling the claim a "reaction by the international enemy."
- Karimov's Last Supper RFE/RL 03 Aug 2017 -- On the evening of July 27, the high and mighty of Uzbekistan gathered for a dinner in Tashkent to honor the memory of the country's first president, Islam Karimov, who died last year.
- US to Give Additional $169 Million in Aid to Ethiopia, Kenya VOA 03 Aug 2017 -- The administration of U.S. President Donald Trump announced Thursday it will provide an additional $169 million in humanitarian aid to the drought-stricken African countries of Ethiopia and Kenya.
- Kagame, Weakened Opposition Face Off in Rwanda Elections VOA 03 Aug 2017 -- Rwandans head to the polls Friday with President Paul Kagame widely expected to win a third term despite allegations of political repression.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|