15 July 2017 Military News
Defense Policy / Programs
- Military Strikes Continue Against ISIS Terrorists in Syria, Iraq AFPS 15 Jul 2017 -- U.S. and coalition military forces continued to attack the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria yesterday, conducting 30 strikes consisting of 45 engagements, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials reported today.
- Pakistan Takes Unilateral Steps Toward Afghan Border Security VOA 15 Jul 2017 -- Pakistan says it finds it necessary to build a fence along its long porous border with Afghanistan, in part because of a lack of cooperation from authorities in Kabul. The border region has long been a source of instability, with militant groups, terrorists and smugglers using the remote, mountainous terrain as cover.
Defense Policy / Programs
- New Guided-Missile Destroyer Signals U.S. Resolve, Pacom Chief Says AFPS 15 Jul 2017 -- The Navy's newest Arleigh Burke-class guided missile destroyer sends a signal to allies and adversaries in the Asia-Pacific region that what happens in the region matters to the United States, the commander of U.S. Pacific Command said in Hawaii today.
- Iran, Russia hold joint naval drills in Caspian Sea Press TV 15 Jul 2017 -- The Iranian and Russian navies have staged joint exercises in the Caspian Sea to strengthen naval cooperation between the two countries.
- 3 soldiers killed amid mutiny in Ivory Coast military Press TV 15 Jul 2017 -- Three soldiers have been killed as a fresh round of infighting erupts in a barracks in Ivory Coast.
- Romania: Patriot missiles not aimed at increasing tensions with Russia Press TV 15 Jul 2017 -- Romania has stressed that its possible purchasing of seven US-built Patriot missile defense systems is aimed at bolstering the country's defense and not antagonizing Russia.
- Syrian government forces regain control of four oil fields in Raqqah, Dayr al-Zawr Press TV 15 Jul 2017 -- Syrian government forces have managed to seize back oil fields in the militant-held northern province of Raqqah and in the eastern province of Day al-Zawr from Daesh Takfiri terrorists as they continue to score more territorial gains against the extremists across the war-ravaged Arab country.
- Syria talks end with 'incremental progress' but 'no breakthrough' - UN envoy UN News 15 Jul 2017 -- Speaking to reporters in the early hours of Saturday in Geneva, United Nations Special Envoy said that the latest round of the intra-Syrian talks ended with "incremental progress."
- Latest Round of Syrian Peace Talks End With 'Incremental Progress' VOA 15 Jul 2017 -- The United Nation's envoy to Syria has ended the latest round of peace talks, saying there have been no major breakthroughs but that "incremental progress" was made.
- Analysts: Tehran Sees Liberation of Mosul as Victory for Iraq and Iran VOA 15 Jul 2017 -- A senior adviser to Iran's Supreme Leader has described Iraq's liberation of Mosul from Islamic State (IS) as a victory for Tehran.
- Russian Gave Trump's Son Folder With Information Damaging To Clinton: Report RFE/RL 15 Jul 2017 -- The Associated Press is reporting that a Russian lobbyist who met with U.S. President Donald Trump's son last year gave him a portfolio of information she said was damaging to his Democratic rival Hillary Clinton.
- Turks Commemorate One Year Since Failed Coup RFE/RL 15 Jul 2017 -- Tens of thousands of people waving Turkish flags joined a national unity march in Istanbul on July 15, converging at an iconic bridge to mark the anniversary of a military coup attempt in which hundreds were killed.
- Turkey Marks Anniversary of Failed Coup VOA 15 Jul 2017 -- The Turkish government marked the one-year anniversary Saturday of a failed military coup by firing nearly 7,400 additional civil servants, convening a special parliamentary session and hosting a series of "national unity marches."
- UN chief underlines 'sustained commitment' to JCPOA Press TV 15 Jul 2017 -- United Nations Secretary General António Guterres has stressed the importance of "sustained commitment" of all parties to the obligations under the landmark nuclear agreement between Iran and the P5+1 group of countries.
- Two years on, UN chief stresses 'sustained commitment essential' for Iran nuclear deal UN News 15 Jul 2017 -- Marking the second anniversary of the historic agreement aimed at ensuring the exclusively peaceful nature of Iran's nuclear programme, United Nations Secretary-General António Guterres has commended the Gulf country for implementing its nuclear-related commitments.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|