08 July 2017 Military News
Defense Policy / Programs
- Inherent Resolve Strikes Target ISIS in Syria, Iraq AFPS 08 Jul 2017 -- U.S. and coalition military forces continued to attack the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria yesterday, conducting 29 strikes consisting of 76 engagements, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials reported today.
Defense Policy / Programs
- U.S. B-1B Bomber Flights Demonstrate Commitment to South Korea AFPS 08 Jul 2017 -- As part of the continuing demonstration of the U.S. commitment to its allies against the growing threat from North Korea's ballistic missile and nuclear programs, two U.S. Air Force B-1B Lancer bombers from Andersen Air Force Base, Guam, conducted a 10-hour sequenced bilateral mission yesterday with South Korean and Japanese fighter jets.
- US Bombers Hold Live-Fire Drills Near North Korea VOA 08 Jul 2017 -- U.S. bombers, jointly with South Korean forces, have conducted rare, live-fire drills near the border with North Korea, according to the South Korean military.
- U.S. Bombers Conduct Live-Fire Drill Near North Korean Border RFE/RL 08 Jul 2017 -- Two U.S. Air Force bombers have conducted a rare live-fire drill in South Korea and flown close to the heavily militarized border with North Korea -- a show of force following North Korea's test-launch of a nuclear-capable intercontinental ballistic missile (ICBM).
- U.S. To Test Missile Defense In Alaska Amid Growing North Korean Threat RFE/RL 08 Jul 2017 -- The U.S. Missile Defense Agency says that it will within days test a sophisticated anti-ballistic-missile system, after North Korea this week launched a missile deemed capable of striking Alaska.
- US, UK, France boycott UN treaty to ban nuclear weapons Press TV 08 Jul 2017 -- The United States, along with Britain and France, say they will never become party to a global treaty that was endorsed by 122 countries at the United Nations headquarters in New York.
- Liaoning's arrival in HK a historical marvel People's Daily 08 Jul 2017 -- China's aircraft carrier Liaoning docked in Hong Kong on Friday morning for its five-day visit to the region. A total of 2,000 free tickets for visiting the aircraft carrier were snapped up by Hong Kong permanent residents.
- Press Gaggle by Senior Administration Officials Aboard Air Force One en route Joint Base Andrews | July 8, 2017 The White House 08 Jul 2017
- Ensuring Syria's territorial integrity extremely important: Russian president Press TV 08 Jul 2017 -- Russian President Vladimir Putin has expressed his optimism about the prospects of a solution to the years-long crisis in Syria, saying what is of utmost importance is the Arab country's "territorial integrity", which is to be ensured.
- UN official welcomes partial truce in southwestern Syria Press TV 08 Jul 2017 -- The United Nations deputy special envoy for Syria has appreciated an agreement for ending fighting in southwestern Syria as positive, saying it could help efforts to reach permanent peace in the Arab country.
- U.S.-Russian Cease-Fire Deal Touted As Start Of Syrian Peace Efforts RFE/RL 08 Jul 2017 -- The United States and Russia have announced a cease-fire deal in southwestern Syria in their first attempt at peacemaking in the war-torn country since President Donald Trump took office.
- Putin: Assad's Future Should Be Decided by Syrian People Regardless of US Wishes Sputnik 08 Jul 2017 -- It's up to the Syrian people to decide their future, Vladimir Putin said.
- Iraqi government forces fully recapture Mosul's Old City Press TV 08 Jul 2017 -- Iraqi government forces have wrested complete control over the Old City of Mosul, which served as the last bastion of Daesh Takfiri terrorists in the Arab country's second largest city.
- Countdown begins to Daesh collapse in Iraq's Mosul Press TV 08 Jul 2017 -- Daesh is on its last legs as Iraqi forces are expected to win back full control of the city of Mosul, the Takfiri terrorist group's last urban stronghold in the Arab country in the next few hours.
- Iraqi Army Says Mosul Victory Imminent, IS Vows To 'Fight Until Death' RFE/RL 08 Jul 2017 -- Iraqi military commanders say their forces are "tens of meters" away from defeating the Islamic State (IS) group in Mosul, as the extremist group vowed to "fight to the death" in the city.
- Iraqi Forces Poised to Declare Victory in Mosul VOA 08 Jul 2017 -- Iraqi security forces said Saturday that they expected to declare victory in Mosul within hours, which could eliminate the Iraqi half of the Islamic State caliphate.
- Germany, France, Russia stress Ukraine truce implementation Press TV 08 Jul 2017 -- The leaders of Germany, France and Russia have underlined the importance of implementing a ceasefire in eastern Ukraine that was agreed under the Minsk agreements.
- Merkel, Macron, Putin Agree On 'Comprehensive' Implementation of Ukraine Peace Deal RFE/RL 08 Jul 2017 -- The leaders of Germany, France, and Russia have agreed that the Minsk agreements on ending the conflict in eastern Ukraine "should be comprehensively implemented," a German official tells RFE/RL.
- Tillerson, Newly Named Envoy for Ukraine Crisis Head to Kyiv VOA 08 Jul 2017 -- Secretary of State Rex Tillerson has named former U.S. Ambassador to NATO Kurt Volker to serve as Special Representative for Ukraine Negotiations.
- China claims India is stirring up trouble in Doklam People's Daily 08 Jul 2017 -- A Foreign Ministry spokesman on Friday objected to India's attempts to stir up disputes over the Doklam region.
- India, bracing for protests, puts Kashmir on lockdown Press TV 08 Jul 2017 -- India has placed Kashmir under high security order and deployed tens of thousands of government forces to the volatile Himalayan region on the death anniversary of a popular pro-independence figure.
- Cross-border shelling leaves seven people dead in Kashmir Press TV 08 Jul 2017 -- Seven people have been killed in the volatile region of Kashmir when India and Pakistan engaged in cross-border shelling.
- Police Clamp Down in Indian Kashmir on Anniversary of Militant Leader's Death VOA 08 Jul 2017 -- Thousands of troops patrolled Indian Kashmir on Saturday as authorities imposed widespread restrictions to foil protests planned for the anniversary of a local militant leader, Burhan Wani, whose killing in 2016 by armed forces has pulled the Himalayan region into a fresh spiral of violence after several years of relative peace.
- Al-Shabab militants behead 9 civilians in southeastern Kenya Press TV 08 Jul 2017 -- Suspected Takfiri al-Shabab terrorists have decapitated at least nine people in an attack on a pair of villages in southeastern Kenya, near the border with restive Somalia.
- IS Claims Responsibility in Deadly Sinai Attack VOA 08 Jul 2017 -- Islamic State has claimed responsibility for an attack that killed at least 23 soldiers in the Sinai Peninsula.
- Trump Wins Concessions On Climate, Trade As G20 Leaders Agree On Summit Statement RFE/RL 08 Jul 2017 -- U.S. President Donald Trump has secured key concessions on trade and climate in the final communique of the Group of 20 (G20) summit in Hamburg, in what German Chancellor Angela Merkel characterized as a need for compromise.
- Trump calls meeting with Putin at G20 'tremendous' Press TV 08 Jul 2017 -- US President Donald Trump says his first meeting with his Russian counterpart Vladimir Putin at the sidelines of the Group of Twenty summit in the German city of Hamburg was "tremendous."
- Putin: Trump Seemed To 'Agree' With Denial Of Russian Election Meddling RFE/RL 08 Jul 2017 -- Russian President Vladimir Putin says he held an in-depth discussion with U.S. President Donald Trump about Moscow's alleged meddling in the 2016 U.S. election, and that his counterpart seemed to agree with Russia's position that there were "no grounds" for such accusations.
- 'Everybody Knows' Russia Meddled in US Elections - US Ambassador to UN Sputnik 08 Jul 2017 -- "Everybody knows that Russia meddled in our elections," US Ambassador to the UN Nikki Haley said in an interview clip aired Saturday.
- Haley denounces Russia for 'meddling' in elections on 'multiple continents' Press TV 08 Jul 2017 -- US Ambassador to the United Nations Nikki Haley has decried what she refers to as Russian "meddling" in the world elections, including the 2016 presidential vote in the United States.
- Once a US Ally, Pakistan Now Looks to China, Russia VOA 08 Jul 2017 -- Once a key ally in the U.S. war on terrorism, Pakistan finds itself increasingly isolated from Washington amid allegations that it harbors more than a dozen terrorist groups. Instead, it has been steadily cozying up to China and Russia.
- Qatar rejects Saudi-led bloc's new claims Press TV 08 Jul 2017 -- Qatar has rejected new claims by a Saudi-led bloc of countries that it "finances terrorism" and intervenes in their internal affairs.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|