06 July 2017 Military News
Defense Policy / Programs
- OIF / OND / OEF / OIR / OFS Casualty Update 06 Jul 2017[PDF]
- Department of Defense Press Briefing by Brigadier General Anderson via Teleconference From Iraq DoD 06 Jul 2017 -- Presenter: Canadian Armed Forces Brigadier General D.J. Anderson, Director of Partner Force Development and Ministerial Liaison Team, Combined Joint Task Force-Operation Inherent Resolve; Captain Jeff Davis, Director, Defense Press Office
- Military Strikes Continue Against ISIS Terrorists in Syria, Iraq AFPS 06 Jul 2017 -- U.S. and coalition military forces continued to attack the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria yesterday, conducting 34 strikes consisting of 93 engagements, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials reported today.
- Collaboration Fuels Fight Against ISIS, Official Says AFPS 06 Jul 2017 -- Close collaboration among coalition forces, the Iraqi government and international partners have helped to transform Iraqi security forces and partner forces in Syria in the fight against the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria, Operation Inherent Resolve's director of partner force development said today.
- Update: air strikes against Daesh UK MOD 06 Jul 2017 -- The RAF are continuing to take the fight to Daesh in Iraq and Syria.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Readout of Secretary of Mattis' call with Qatari Minister of State for Defense Affairs Dr. Khalid al-Attiyah DoD 06 Jul 2017
- Readout of Secretary Mattis' Call with Republic of Korea Minister of Defense Han Min-koo DoD 06 Jul 2017
- Readout of Secretary Mattis' Call with Malaysian Minister of Defense Hishammuddin Tun Hussein DoD 06 Jul 2017
- USS Gabrielle Giffords Completes Maiden Voyage, Arrives in San Diego NNS 06 Jul 2017 -- The newest Independence-variant littoral combat ship USS Gabrielle Giffords (LCS 10) arrived in San Diego July 5, after successfully completing her maiden voyage from Mobile, Alabama.
- USS James E. Williams Arrives in Reykjavik, Iceland NNS 06 Jul 2017 -- The Arleigh Burke-class guided missile destroyer USS James E. Williams (DDG 95) arrived in Reykjavik, Iceland July 5, for a scheduled port visit to enhance U.S.-Iceland relations as the two nations work together for a stable, secure and prosperous Europe.
- Ike Hosts Reception with Canadian Allies NNS 06 Jul 2017 -- The aircraft carrier USS Dwight D. Eisenhower (CVN 69) (Ike) hosted a reception during a regularly scheduled port visit to Halifax, Nova Scotia, July 3.
- U.S., Indian and Japanese Maritime Forces to Participate in Malabar 2017 NNS 06 Jul 2017 -- Naval ships, aircraft and personnel from India, Japan and the United States will participate in exercise Malabar 2017, July 7-17, 2017.
- Remarks by President Trump to the People of Poland | July 6, 2017 The White House 06 Jul 2017
- In Warsaw, Trump Reaffirms Article 5 Commitment, Criticizes Russia's 'Destabilizing Behavior' RFE/RL 06 Jul 2017 -- In a keynote address in Warsaw, U.S. President Donald Trump urged Russia "to cease its destabilizing activities in Ukraine and elsewhere" and specifically reaffirmed Washington's commitment to NATO's Article 5.
- In Warsaw Speech, Trump Vows to Fight Terrorism, Back NATO Allies VOA 06 Jul 2017 -- In his first major public speech in Europe, U.S. President Donald Trump has warned that the values of the West are under attack and questioned whether its people have the will to fight for it.
- Secretary General welcomes Japanese Prime Minister to NATO Headquarters NATO 06 Jul 2017 -- NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg met with Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe on Thursday (6 July 2017) for talks on the Alliance's cooperation with Japan and the security situation in the Asia-Pacific region.
- Putin hails 'high reliability' of Russia's new cruise missile Press TV 06 Jul 2017 -- Russian President Vladimir Putin says he is pleased with the "high reliability" of the country's new Raduga KH-101 cruise missiles, after a number of them were successfully used against terrorist positions in Syria.
- 'High Reliability': Putin Praises Performance of Kh-101 Cruise Missiles in Syria Sputnik 06 Jul 2017 -- Russia's advanced Kh-101 cruise missiles, used in Syria, showed a high degree of reliability, Russian President Vladimir Putin said Thursday.
- Putin Seeks Parliamentary Approval to Deploy Warplanes in Syria Sputnik 06 Jul 2017 -- Russian President Vladimir Putin submitted on Thursday a protocol to an agreement with Syria on the deployment of the Russian Armed Forces aviation group for the lower chamber of parliament's ratification.
- Indian Air Force training aircraft crashes in western state People's Daily 06 Jul 2017 -- An Indian Air Force training aircraft crashed in the western state of Rajasthan on Thursday, defense sources said.
- Debris of Missing IAF Helicopter Found, Three Crew Members Dead Sputnik 06 Jul 2017 -- The wreckage of a missing advanced light helicopter of the Indian Air Force (IAF) has been found in the Pampunpare district of Arunachal Pradesh following a 24-hour joint search operation conducted by the Army, the Indo-Tibetan Border Police and Arunachal Pradesh police on Wednesday.
- Indian Navy to Splurge on Hundreds of Helicopters for Warships Sputnik 06 Jul 2017 -- After the cancellation of two major helicopters tenders, the Indian Navy will soon issue a new tender for 251 helicopters including 140 naval multi-role helicopters.
- Larijani: Safeguarding navy forces vital for boosting Iran's authority in Caspian sea IRNA 06 Jul 2017 -- Iranian Parliament Speaker Ali Larijani said safeguarding Iranian navy would play a key role for boosting Islamic Republic's authority in the Caspian sea.
- US agrees to sell Patriot missile defense systems to Poland: Ministry Press TV 06 Jul 2017 -- The United States has agreed to provide Poland with surface-to-air Patriot missile systems, as the eastern European country hosts US President Donald Trump ahead of a G20 summit of world leaders in Germany.
- Poland Signs Memorandum To Buy Patriot Missile Systems From U.S. RFE/RL 06 Jul 2017 -- Polish Defense Minister Antoni Macierewicz says the United States has agreed to sell Patriot missile-defense systems to Warsaw.
- Poland, US Sign Patriot Missile System Deal - Defense Ministry Sputnik 06 Jul 2017 -- The Polish Defense Ministry and the United States signed an agreement on the delivery of US Patriot missile systems to Poland, Polish Defense Minister Antoni Macierewicz said Thursday.
- 6 July 2017 - Daily Press Briefing by the Office of the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General United Nations 06 Jul 2017
- INTERVIEW: 'Disarmament matters' in times of crisis, stresses new High Representative UN News 06 Jul 2017 -- Izumi Nakamitsu has taken the helm of United Nations disarmament affairs at a time when needs are greatest for the world to invest in conflict prevention.
- China accuses India legitimizing border incursion in name of protecting Bhutan People's Daily 06 Jul 2017 -- China on Thursday accused India of taking the protection of Bhutan as an excuse to legitimize its border incursion into China.
- China Demands That India Pulls Back Border Troops Immediately Sputnik 06 Jul 2017 -- China has again warned India to pull back its troops from the Doklam area near the Sikkim sector, saying it will affect the dialogue process between the two countries.
- Syrian letters to UN blast Turkey's 'expansionist delusions' Press TV 06 Jul 2017 -- Damascus has written to the United Nations, denouncing Turkish forces' recent incursions into the Syrian territory as a proof of Ankara's partnership in terrorism plaguing the Arab country.
- Clashes with Turkey likely in days: Syrian Kurdish militants Press TV 06 Jul 2017 -- The head of a US-backed Kurdish militant group fighting in Syria says a confrontation is likely "within days" between his fighters and the Turkish forces recently deployed to Syria's Aleppo Province.
- Syrian peace talks to resume in Kazakh capital late August Press TV 06 Jul 2017 -- Iran, Russia and Turkey have agreed to resume the next round of Syrian peace talks in Astana in late August following their decision to continue discussions on creating four de-escalation zones in Syria.
- Tillerson Says U.S. Prepared To Cooperate With Russia In Syria RFE/RL 06 Jul 2017 -- U.S. Secretary of State Rex Tillerson said the United States is prepared to cooperate with Russia in Syria, including on military matters, in a renewed gesture at reconciliation ahead of a meeting this week between the two nations' leaders.
- At UN, panel probing chemical weapons use in Syria urges independence UN News 06 Jul 2017 -- Noting that its members are working in a highly politicized environment, the panel investigating the use of chemical weapons in Syria today appealed to the international community to allow it to complete its work in an independent, impartial and professional manner.
- Kurdish Officials: Turkish Movements in N. Syria Threaten Raqqa Operation VOA 06 Jul 2017 -- Syrian Kurdish officials say Turkey's shelling of Kurdish militias in northwestern Syria and its troops' mobilization in the border region are preparation for a full-fledged military assault on northern Syria, which could impede U.S.-backed operations to rout Islamic State from its de facto capital, Raqqa.
- Daesh families join final battle for Mosul: Iraqi commanders Press TV 06 Jul 2017 -- Iraqi commanders engaged in an operation to liberate the northern city of Mosul say family members of Daesh terrorists have joined the battle as it nears its end.
- Daesh traps up to 20,000 civilians in Mosul Old City: UN official Press TV 06 Jul 2017 -- A senior UN official has warned that up to 20,000 civilians have been trapped in the remaining areas controlled by Takfiri Daesh terrorists in Mosul's Old City.
- UN: Mosul Civilians in 'Extreme Danger' as Anti-IS Battle Continues VOA 06 Jul 2017 -- As many as 20,000 civilians are trapped and in "extreme danger" in Mosul as the Iraqi military attempts to remove the last remaining Islamic State jihadists in the city, a United Nations official is quoted as saying.
- General Haftar says Benghazi 'liberated' from rival militia Press TV 06 Jul 2017 -- Powerful Libyan General Khalifah Haftar says his forces have "liberated" the city of Benghazi after pushing out rivaling militia from its eastern parts.
- In Myanmar, UN refugee chief calls for solutions to displacement and exclusion UN News 06 Jul 2017 -- Concluding his first visit to Myanmar, the United Nations refugee chief today appealed for inclusive and sustainable solutions to protracted displacement and statelessness.
- UN mission in Mali condemns ceasefire breaches by peace accord signatories UN News 06 Jul 2017 -- The United Nations peacekeeping mission in Mali today condemned continuing ceasefire violations by two signatories of the 2015 Peace and Reconciliation Agreement.
- ICC: South Africa Failed Obligations by Not Arresting Sudan's Bashir VOA 06 Jul 2017 -- Judges at the International Criminal Court have ruled that South Africa failed in its obligations to the war crimes court by failing to arrest Sudan's wanted president when he visited the nation for a summit of African leaders in 2015. The ruling comes as South African officials dig in their heels in their decision to withdraw from the court after the controversial incident.
- Trump: Russia, Others May Have Meddled in US Election VOA 06 Jul 2017 -- President Donald Trump said Thursday that Russia might have meddled in last year's U.S. presidential election to help him win the White House, but that others also might have interfered.
- Ohio Man Pleads Guilty to Attempting to Provide Material Support to ISIS US Dept. of Justice 06 Jul 2017 -- Aaron Travis Daniels, 20, aka Harun Muhammad, aka Abu Yusef, of Columbus, Ohio, pleaded guilty to attempting to provide material support to the Islamic State of Iraq and al-Sham (ISIS), a designated foreign terrorist organization, in violation of Title 18, U.S. Code, Section 2339B.
- Steeped in Martyrdom, Cubs of the Caliphate Groomed as Jihadist Legacy VOA 06 Jul 2017 -- They are known as the cubs of the caliphate, youngsters enlisted by the Islamic State, which views them as "the generation that will conquer Baghdad, Jerusalem, Mecca and Rome."
- Briefing by Foreign Ministry Spokesperson Maria Zakharova, Moscow, July 6, 2017 Russia Ministry of Foreign Affairs 06 Jul 2017
- Putin attacks sanctions, condemns as 'short-sighted' Press TV 06 Jul 2017 -- Russian President Vladimir Putin has denounced as "short-sighted " the sanctions imposed by the European Union (EU) and the United States on his country over the Ukraine crisis.
- With U.S.-Russia Relations Plummeting, Trump Set To Meet Putin For First Time RFE/RL 06 Jul 2017 -- U.S. President Donald Trump is set to hold the most consequential meeting of his 6-month-old presidency: a face-to-face sit-down with Russian leader Vladimir Putin in an effort aimed at stemming a deepening crisis in U.S.-Russia relations.
- Notorious Russian Hacker With Links To FSB Scandal Sentenced To Prison RFE/RL 06 Jul 2017 -- A notorious Russian hacker whose exploits and later arrest gave glimpses into the intersection of computer crime and Russian law enforcement has been sentenced to two years in prison.
- South Korea's Moon Says Ready to Meet North's Kim Under 'Right Conditions' Sputnik 06 Jul 2017 -- According to media reports, South Korean President ready to meet North Korean leader Kim Jong Un.
- Trump Promises US Will Deal with North Korea 'Very Strongly' VOA 06 Jul 2017 -- President Donald Trump labeled North Korea's behavior a threat and promised, "we will confront it very strongly."
- US, Others Look to China to Help Increase Pressure on North Korea VOA 06 Jul 2017 -- The United States is calling for a tough response to North Korea's launch this week of an intercontinental ballistic missile (ICBM) and one key country Washington and others are looking to for help is China, particularly as the U.S. seeks to draw up new and tighter sanctions.
- Military Backs Up Diplomatic, Economic Tools Against North Korea, Mattis Says AFPS 06 Jul 2017 -- The United States military stands ready to provide options to President Donald J. Trump, but diplomatic and economic efforts remain the tools of choice to convince North Korea to stop its nuclear and missile programs, Defense Secretary Jim Mattis told reporters here today.
- Russia blocks UN condemnation of North Korea's missile launch Press TV 06 Jul 2017 -- Russian diplomats have objected to a United Nations Security Council (UNSC) condemnation of North Korea's recent missile launch, saying the US-drafted statement referred to it as an intercontinental ballistic missile (ICBM).
- China warns against escalation of tensions over North Korea Press TV 06 Jul 2017 -- China has warned against any rhetoric and action that could further escalate tensions on the Korean Peninsula, two days after Pyongyang test-fired its first ever intercontinental ballistic missile (ICBM).
- Trump Considering 'Pretty Severe' Response To North Korea's ICBM Test RFE/RL 06 Jul 2017 -- U.S. President Donald Trump says he is considering "some pretty severe things" in response to North Korea's intercontinental ballistic-missile (ICBM) test earlier this week.
- Pyongyang's ICBM Capability Not to Bring US Closer to War With N. Korea - Mattis Sputnik 06 Jul 2017 -- The successful test of an intercontinental ballistic missile (ICBM) by North Korea will not bring Washington and Pyongyang closer to war, according to US Secretary of Defense James Mattis.
- Pyongyang: Destroying South Korea Would be a 'Piece of Cake' Sputnik 06 Jul 2017 -- North Korean state media railed against its southern neighbor Thursday for staging a joint missile drill with the US following Pyongyang's jarring intercontinental ballistic missile (ICBM) launch, saying it would be a "piece of cake" to destroy South Korea.
- Chinese man continues to be detained on espionage charges CNA 06 Jul 2017 -- Taipei's District Court on Thursday granted a prosecution request to keep detaining Zhou Hongxu (周泓旭), a Chinese man who had been under detention since March on charges of violating Taiwan's National Security Act.
- Chinese man indicted for espionage in Taiwan CNA 06 Jul 2017 -- A Chinese man was indicted Thursday for violation of Taiwan's National Security Act after he was found to have attempted to bribe an official with money in exchange for classified information, the Taipei District Prosecutors Office said.
- Parliament speaker: US to pay heavy price for anti-Iran decision IRNA 06 Jul 2017 -- Iranian Parliament Speaker Ali Larijani blasted a recent anti-Iran decision by the US Senate, and said that Washington will pay a heavy price for its decision.
- Iran sanctions not without costs for US: Larijani Press TV 06 Jul 2017 -- Iranian Parliament Speaker Ali Larijani has denounced US Senate's adoption of new sanctions on Iran, saying the new restrictions against Tehran will not be without costs for Washington.
- Pakistan rules out 'organized presence' of any terror outfit on its soil IRNA 06 Jul 2017 -- Pakistan rejected 'organized presence' of any terror outfit, including TTP (Tehrik-i-Taliban Pakistan), Jamaat-ul Ahrar, Daesh and Al-Qaeda, Haqqani Network on its soil.
- EU tells Erdogan to cancel constitutional overhaul Press TV 06 Jul 2017 -- Europe has advised Turkey to cancel a proposed overhaul of its constitution or forfeit its request to join the European Union (EU).
- Turkish Police Detain Rights Activists; EU Parliament Advises Suspension On Accession Talks RFE/RL 06 Jul 2017 -- Amnesty International says Turkish police have detained the group's director in Turkey along with other human rights activists.
- Turkey's Opposition Leader on Long March for Justice VOA 06 Jul 2017 -- On Day 20 of his "March for Justice" Kemal Kilicdaroglu still has a spring in his step. The 68-year-old leader of Turkey's Republican People's Party (CHP) has often been criticized for being an ineffectual opposition party leader. Now, Kilicdaroglu is galvanizing opposition to President Recep Tayyip Erdogan and his year-long crackdown on dissent following last July's failed coup.
- Qatar gives "negative" response to demands of Egypt and Gulf countries: Egyptian FM People's Daily 06 Jul 2017 -- Egyptian Foreign Minister Sameh Shoukry said on Wednesday that Qatar's response to the demands of Egypt and Gulf countries was "very negative."
- Egypt hikes electricity prices by more than 40% as demanded by IMF Press TV 06 Jul 2017 -- Egypt has decided to raise electricity prices by more than 40 percent as demanded by the International Monetary Fund (IMF) in order to receive a $12 billion bailout loan.
- HRW accuses Bangladesh of holding hundreds in secret jails Press TV 06 Jul 2017 -- A prominent rights group has accused Bangladesh of secretly detaining hundreds of people, including scores of opposition activists, many of whom were later killed.
- Mob attacks Venezuela's opposition-held parliament in capital Press TV 06 Jul 2017 -- A crowd of people believed to have been the supporters of the Venezuelan government have stormed the opposition-held Congress in the capital, Caracas, beating and injuring lawmakers in the latest escalation of violence in the Latin American country.
- Trump Holds Talks With Merkel As Police Clash With Protesters Ahead Of G20 Summit RFE/RL 06 Jul 2017 -- U.S. President Donald Trump has held talks with German Chancellor Angela Merkel in the city of Hamburg, a day before the start of the Group of 20 summit.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|