01 July 2017 Military News
Defense Policy / Programs
Defense Policy / Programs
- USS George H. W. Bush Arrives in Haifa, Israel NNS 01 Jul 2017 -- The Nimitz-class aircraft carrier USS George H. W. Bush (CVN 77) arrived in Haifa, Israel, for a scheduled port visit, July 1, to enhance U.S.-Israel relations as the two nations reaffirm their continued commitment to the collective security of the European and Middle East Regions.
- U.S. and Philippine Navies Complete Coordinated Patrol in Southern Sulu Sea NNS 01 Jul 2017 -- The U.S. and Philippine navies completed a coordinated patrol in the Sulu Sea at the invitation of the Government of the Philippines, July 1.
- Russian Navy launches new stealth corvette in St. Petersburg Press TV 01 Jul 2017 -- The Russian Navy has launched a new stealth Gremyaschy-class corvette in Saint Petersburg, boosting the country's naval capabilities with "better seaworthiness and higher speed."
- Without the French Accent: Russia Creating an Assault Ship Superior to Mistral Sputnik 01 Jul 2017 -- Russian Navy Deputy Commander-in-Chief Adm. Viktor Bursuk has confirmed that the Navy expects to receive two helicopter-carrying amphibious assault ships before the year 2025. RIA Novosti military observer Alexander Khrolenko offers new details on the prospective ships' design, and the challenges shipbuilders will face during their construction.
- Russian Navy to Receive Second Trio of Project 11356 Frigates - Official Sputnik 01 Jul 2017 -- The construction of three Russian Project 11356 frigates stalled over suspended engine supplies from Ukraine will be completed and the ships will be delivered to the Black Sea Fleet, Vice-Adm. Viktor Bursuk, the Russian Navy's deputy commander for procurement, said on Saturday.
- Missile power only way for deterrence: senior MP IRNA 01 Jul 2017 -- Promotion of country's missile power is the only way for deterring the Islamic Republic against foreign threats, senior lawmaker said on Saturday.
- Iran to give crushing response to enemy threats: Defense minister IRNA 01 Jul 2017 -- Islamic Republic will give crushing response to the enemy's threats, Brigadier General Hossein Dehqan said on Saturday.
- U.S., Ukraine Near Agreement On Increasing Military Equipment Sales, Ties RFE/RL 01 Jul 2017 -- Ukraine and the United States are close to signing new defense agreements enabling Kyiv to purchase more defensive U.S. military equipment and play a role in manufacturing such equipment, a Ukrainian defense executive said on June 30.
- Germany approves sale of nuclear-capable submarines to Israel: Report Press TV 01 Jul 2017 -- Germany's national security council has approved a controversial deal to sell nuclear-capable submarines to the Israeli regime, a report says.
- Labour leader calls for end to UK arms sales to Saudi Arabia Press TV 01 Jul 2017 -- Britain's Labour Party leader Jeremy Corbyn has denounced the use of UK-made weapons in Saudi Arabia's war against Yemen, calling on the government to block further arms sales to the kingdom.
- UN Agrees To $570 Million Cut In Peacekeeping Missions Under U.S. Pressure RFE/RL 01 Jul 2017 -- The United Nations General Assembly on June 30 agreed to a nearly $600 million cut in the UN's budget for peacekeeping under pressure from the United States, which proposed to slash the program.
- Yemeni forces kill 6 of Saudi's mercenaries in Jawf, Ta'izz Press TV 01 Jul 2017 -- Yemeni army soldiers, backed by fighters from allied Popular Committees loyal to the Houthi Ansarullah movement, have killed half a dozen of Saudi Arabia's mercenaries in Yemen's Jawf and Ta'izz provinces.
- Cholera outbreak killed 1,500 in Yemen in two months: WHO Press TV 01 Jul 2017 -- The World Health Organization (WHO) says the cholera outbreak in war-torn Yemen has killed 1,500 people since late April while a total of 246,000 suspected cases of the disease have been reported over the past two months.
- UNHCR: 500,000 Syrians back home IRNA 01 Jul 2017 -- The United Nations refugee agency announced on Friday that some half a million of Syrian refugees have returned to their homes in the first six months of the current year.
- Syria harshly criticizes OPCW report on Khan Sheikhun gas attack Press TV 01 Jul 2017 -- Damascus has censured the Organization for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons (OPCW) for issuing a "false" report on a chemical weapons attack in the province of Idlib two months ago, saying it has been based on testimonies provided by terrorists.
- No Room for Maneuver: Daesh Kicked Out of Aleppo Province by Syrian Arab Army Sputnik 01 Jul 2017 -- The Syrian Arab Army has finally managed to liberate the province of Aleppo from Daesh, according to the Syrian Ministry of Defense. Meanwhile, the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees reported that nearly half a million internally displaced Syrians have returned to their homes since the beginning of this year.
- Iran congratulates heavy defeat of Daesh in Mosul IRNA 01 Jul 2017 -- Foreign Ministry Spokesman Bahram Qasemi congratulated heavy defeat sustained by Daesh in Mosul and called for collective campaign to dry up the terrorist group's intellectual roots and its sources of funding.
- Iraqi govt. soldiers recapture last Daesh pockets in western Mosul Press TV 01 Jul 2017 -- Iraqi government forces have recaptured more of the last few remaining areas in western Mosul's Old City as the Daesh Takfiri terrorist group is on its last breath in the Arab country.
- Iraqi PM hails top Shia cleric Ayatollah Sistani's role in terror fight Press TV 01 Jul 2017 -- The Iraqi premier has thanked top Shia cleric Grand Ayatollah Ali al-Sistani for his contribution to the fight against Daesh terrorists, saying his 2014 religious decree (fatwa), which mobilized volunteer forces behind army troops on the battlefield, "saved" the Arab state.
- Iraqi Forces Liberate From Daesh Two Areas, Bridge in Western Mosul Sputnik 01 Jul 2017 -- Iraqi federal police liberated from the Daesh terrorists two residential areas and the Iron Bridge in the old part of the city of Mosul, according to the operation's command.
- Kashmiri Rebel Chief Rejects US Terror Sanctions VOA 01 Jul 2017 -- The leader of a prominent Kashmir rebel group has rejected U.S. sanctions and vowed to continue fighting until the disputed Himalayan region is "liberated from India."
- India Has Changed Since 1962 War: Indian Defense Minister on China's Warning Sputnik 01 Jul 2017 -- A day after China referred to the 1962 war and that Indian Army should learn "historical lessons", India's Defense Minister Arun Jaitley asserted the "India of today is different from what it was in 1962". Jaitley said the Sikkim stand-off between Indian and Chinese troops was triggered by Beijing.
- India Concerned Over Chinese Construction In Sikkim Sector Sputnik 01 Jul 2017 -- India has expressed concern at the construction activities by China in Donglang area as it will have serious security implications.
- 'Clear understanding' in ongoing talks between Greek Cypriot, Turkish Cypriot sides - UN UN News 01 Jul 2017 -- Secretary-General António Guterres has met with the leaders of the Greek Cypriot and Turkish Cypriot communities and their backers at the Conference on Cyprus in Switzerland, saying there is now an understanding of what is needed for a possible settlement on the Mediterranean island.
- Xi praises 'One Country, Two Systems' as China marks 20 years of Hong Kong's return People's Daily 01 Jul 2017 -- Chinese President Xi Jinping attended a ceremony marking the 20th anniversary of Hong Kong's return to China at the Hong Kong Convention and Exhibition Center.
- Carrie Lam sworn in as new Hong Kong chief executive People's Daily 01 Jul 2017 -- Carrie Lam Cheng Yuet-ngor was sworn in as the new chief executive of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (SAR) on Saturday in front of Chinese President Xi Jinping. Lam becomes the first female chief executive of HKSAR and will have a five-year term.
- Chinese president warns against challenges to China's sovereignty over Hong Kong Press TV 01 Jul 2017 -- Chinese President Xi Jinping has cautioned against "impermissible" challenges to Beijing's authority over Hong Kong as the city celebrates the 20th anniversary of the former British colony's handover to China.
- Chinese President Reaffirms Autonomy for Hong Kong Sputnik 01 Jul 2017 -- Xi Jinping vowed that Hong Kong will continue to be run under a principle that guarantees it broader autonomy but warned against attempts to go against mainland China.
- Thousands Protest as Xi Warns Hong Kong Against Challenging China VOA 01 Jul 2017 -- Chinese President Xi Jinping gave Hong Kong a stern warning Saturday as he oversaw the swearing in ceremony for the city's new leader, telling its residents that Beijing will not tolerate attempts to challenge its authority. The warning came even as Xi tried to adopt a softer tone in a speech at the gathering to mark 20 years since the former British colony's return to China.
- Is So-called Islamic State Gaining Strength in Pakistan? VOA 01 Jul 2017 -- Faced with a series of terror attacks, Pakistan is fighting back against Islamic State-affiliated militants after repeatedly claiming that Islamic State has been unable to establish a foothold in the country, analysts say.
- Russia Needs Thaw With West To Achieve Strong Growth, Putin Adviser Says RFE/RL 01 Jul 2017 -- Russia will not be able to achieve strong economic growth unless ties with the West, which have been frozen by economic sanctions, begin to thaw, a top Kremlin economic adviser said on June 30.
- Ukraine Security Service Blames Russia For Recent Cyberattack RFE/RL 01 Jul 2017 -- Ukraine's state security service (SBU) says that the Russian security services were involved in a recent cyberattack that hit Ukraine.
- Ukraine Blames Russia for Massive Cyber Attack VOA 01 Jul 2017 -- Ukraine has blamed Russian security services for a massive cyber attack that started in the last week in Ukraine and eventually spread to computers across the world.
- Trump Revives U.S. Space Council, "Restoring Legacy Of Leadership' In Space RFE/RL 01 Jul 2017 -- U.S. President Donald Trump on June 30 signed an executive order reviving the National Space Council as former astronauts and NASA executives looked on.
- Trump declares 'patience is over' with DPRK People's Daily 01 Jul 2017 -- US President Donald Trump declared on Friday that the US had run out of patience with the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) over its nuclear drive, as he welcomed South Korea's new leader Moon Jae-in to talks at the White House.
- Russia stresses need for diplomacy in Persian Gulf dispute Press TV 01 Jul 2017 -- Russian President Vladimir Putin has stressed the need for diplomacy to end the dispute between Qatar and several other Persian Gulf states.
- Turkey sees hope to find solution to Qatar crisis: Official Press TV 01 Jul 2017 -- A Turkish presidential spokesman has expressed hope about the likelihood of finding a solution to the ongoing crisis between Qatar and several Arab countries.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|