Over 40 killed amid clashes, airstrikes in southwest Yemen
Iran Press TV
Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:12PM
More than 40 Yemenis have been killed in Saudi airstrikes as well as clashes between fighters from the Houthi Ansarullah movement and militiamen loyal to resigned president Abd Rabbuh Mansur Hadi, military and medical officials say.
The officials, speaking on condition of anonymity, said on Monday that the skirmishes and aerial attacks in the Jabal al-Nar area, east of the Red Sea port city of Mukha in Ta'izz Province, had left 17 Houthi fighters dead.
Another 11 Ansarullah members were killed in airstrikes on Kamaran Island and a base in the provincial capital city of Hudaydah.
Unnamed medical sources said ten pro-Hadi militiamen had been also killed and 15 others wounded in the confrontations.
Meanwhile, three civilians lost their lives and two others sustained injuries when a bomb attack targeted the convoy of a military commander.
Yemeni snipers shoot dead four Saudi troopers
Meanwhile, Yemeni soldiers, backed by fighters from Popular Committees, have shot dead a Saudi trooper in the kingdom's southwestern border region of Jizan in retaliation for Riyadh's military campaign against its crisis-hit southern neighbor.
Yemeni forces shot and killed the Saudi trooper in Wadi al-Ma'ayen district on Monday evening, Arabic-language al-Masirah television network reported.
Earlier in the day, Yemeni soldiers and their allies fatally shot a Saudi soldier at al-Farizeh military base in the same Saudi region.
Yemeni snipers also shot dead two soldiers in the al-Makhrouq military base of Najran region, situated 844 kilometers south of the Saudi capital, Riyadh.
Saudi Arabia has been incessantly pounding Yemen since March 2015 in an unsuccessful attempt to bring back Hadi, who is a staunch ally of Saudi Arabia, to power and to undermine the Houthi Ansarullah movement.
The Riyadh regime has, however, failed to reach its goals despite going to great expense.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|