29 March 2017 Military News
Defense Policy / Programs
- OIF / OND / OEF / OIR / OFS Casualty Update 29 Mar 2017[PDF]
- Coalition Strikes Continue Against ISIS Terrorists in Syria, Iraq AFPS 29 Mar 2017 -- U.S. and coalition military forces continued to attack the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria, conducting 28 strikes consisting of 70 engagements against ISIS targets yesterday, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials reported today.
- Trump hails US troops in Iraq despite deadly Mosul raid Press TV 29 Mar 2017 -- US President Donald Trump has praised American troops for doing "very well" in Iraq, maintaining his silence on an airstrike in Mosul that killed scores of civilians earlier this month.
- Votel Details Mosul Strike Investigation to Congressional Committee AFPS 29 Mar 2017 -- The commander of U.S. Central Command told the House Armed Services Committee today that Centcom will get to the truth of reports surrounding a March 17 coalition strike in Mosul, Iraq, targeting Islamic State of Iraq and Syria terrorists that allegedly killed as many as 200 civilians.
- Senior Taliban Leader Killed in Eastern Afgan Province of Laghman Sputnik 29 Mar 2017 -- One of the Taliban terror group (banned in Russia) senior leaders, Nasir Ahmad, has been killed in a special operation in eastern Laghman province of Afghanistan, local media reported citing provincial governor's spokesman.
- Afghan Governor Says US Marines' Deployment Will Reverse Taliban Gains VOA 29 Mar 2017 -- Afghan officials appear confident a planned deployment of about 300 U.S. Marines will help local forces reverse insurgent gains in the embattled southern province of Helmand.
- Afghan Army Kills 45 Taliban Militants in Airstrikes in Country's South Sputnik 29 Mar 2017 -- The Afghan Air Force killed at least 45 militants of the Taliban terrorist movement (outlawed in Russia) in a series of airstrikes in the country's southern Helmand province, local media reported Wednesday.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Air Force Official Details 'National Aircrew Crisis' AFPS 29 Mar 2017 -- A confluence of circumstances in the Air Force has "birthed a national aircrew crisis," the service's manpower chief warned the House Armed Service Committee's military personnel subcommittee today.
- Centcom Commander Briefs Congress on Regional Threats AFPS 29 Mar 2017 -- The commander of U.S. Central Command looked beyond the current conflicts in the greater Middle East today and told the House Armed Services Committee that Iran is the greatest danger to peace in the region.
- CENTCOM Commander Tells About Over 300 Incidents With Iranian Vessels Annually Sputnik 29 Mar 2017 -- The US Navy registers more than 300 yearly incidents involving Iranian fast attack vessels in the Arabian Gulf and the Strait of Hormuz, US Central Command (CENTCOM) commander Gen. Joseph Votel said in a congressional testimony on Wednesday.
- MWSS-171 undergoes Tanuki Wrath USMC News 29 Mar 2017 -- U.S. Marines with Marine Wing Support Squadron 171 conducted exercise Tanuki Wrath at Marine Corps Air Station Iwakuni, Japan, March 21-24, 2017.
- Carter Hall Departs U.S. 6th Fleet NNS 29 Mar 2017 -- The amphibious dock landing ship USS Carter Hall (LSD 50) and embarked Marines from the 24th Marine Expeditionary Unit (MEU) departed the U.S. 6th Fleet area of operations (AOO), March 26.
- USNS Guadalupe Refuels USS Frank Cable at Sea NNS 29 Mar 2017 -- The oiler USNS Guadalupe (T-AO-200) pulled alongside the submarine tender USS Frank Cable (AS 40) for a fueling at sea, March 21.
- USS Princeton Participates in Show of Force Strait Transit Exercise NNS 29 Mar 2017 -- The Ticonderoga-class guided-missile cruiser USS Princeton (CG 59) participated in a show of force strait transit training exercise around San Clemente Island off the coast of Southern California, March 25.
- U.S. Navy, ROK Navy Participate in Maritime Exercises During Foal Eagle 2017 NNS 29 Mar 2017 -- U.S. Navy and Republic of Korea (ROK) Navy ships commenced the maritime portion of exercise Foal Eagle 17, March 21.
- USS Fitzgerald Conducts Underway Replenishment in South China Sea NNS 29 Mar 2017 -- The Arleigh Burke-class guided-missile destroyer USS Fitzgerald (DDG 62) conducted an underway replenishment (UNREP), including a vertical replenishment (VERTREP), March 24.
- AFRL lighting the way for military aircrews AFNS 29 Mar 2017 -- Air Force Research Laboratory Materials and Manufacturing Directorate (RX) junior force researchers resolved an issue of critical importance to military pilots and aircrews–portable, reliable and robust temporary landing zone lighting.
- Joint mission enables patients to receive critical care AFNS 29 Mar 2017 -- Airmen and Soldiers, along with U.S. and Japanese civilian personnel from six different locations around the world, teamed up to provide the largest aeromedical evacuation ever at Misawa Air Base, for two critical patients March 22, 2017.
- Polish, US AF conduct tactical airlift training AFNS 29 Mar 2017 -- The 166th Airlift Wing, Delaware Air National Guard, participated in bilateral training with the Polish Air Force during Aviation Detachment 17-2 in support of Operation Atlantic Resolve, at Powidz Air Base, Poland from March 1-27, 2017.
- Special Operations Troops From 15 Countries Conduct Allied Spirit VI AFPS 29 Mar 2017 -- Special operations forces joined more than 3,000 service members representing 15 NATO and partner nations to participate in exercise Allied Spirit VI at 7th Army Training Command's Joint Multinational Readiness Center in Hohenfels, Germany, March 8-31, 2017.
- Navy to Christen Guided-Missile Destroyer Thomas Hudner DoD 29 Mar 2017 -- The Navy will christen the newest guided-missile destroyer, the future USS Thomas Hudner (DDG 116), Saturday, April 1 during a 11:30 a.m. EDT ceremony at General Dynamics Bath Iron Works in Bath, Maine.
- John C. Stennis is Best in the West NNS 29 Mar 2017 -- Commander, Naval Air Forces, Pacific announced Nimitz-class aircraft carrier USS John C. Stennis (CVN 74) as the recipient of the 2016 Battle "E" award for aircraft carriers home-ported in the Pacific, March 28.
- Frank Cable Departs the Marshall Islands after Successful Port Visit NNS 29 Mar 2017 -- The submarine tender USS Frank Cable (AS 40) departed the Republic of the Marshall Islands after completing a successful five-day port visit in Majuro, March 17.
- Harry S. Truman Wins Battle "E" NNS 29 Mar 2017 -- Commander, Naval Air Forces Atlantic announced aircraft carrier USS Harry S. Truman (CVN 75) as the 2016 East Coast aircraft carrier Battle "E" award winner, Mar. 28.
- In message to Russia, US Senate backs Montenegro joining NATO Press TV 29 Mar 2017 -- The US Senate has overwhelmingly voted to back the expansion of NATO by approving Montenegro's admission to join the military alliance, in what many lawmakers viewed as a message to Russia.
- Lithuanian FM Says Vilnius Will Increase NATO Defense Spending in 2018 Sputnik 29 Mar 2017 -- Lithuania is determined to increase its defense spending amid US calls to meet the alliance's 2 percent defense spending target, Lithuanian Foreign Minister Linas Linkevicius told reporters on Tuesday.
- Poland to Reduce Participation in Eurocorps Over NATO Obligations Sputnik 29 Mar 2017 -- Poland will reduce its participation in the European Corp, an intergovernmental military command also known as Europcorp, in order to redirect resources to NATO but will not withdraw from the corps completely, the Polish Defense Ministry said Wednesday, refuting earlier reports.
- Russian Armed Forces Ordered to Increase Manpower to 1.9 Mln Personnel in July Sputnik 29 Mar 2017 -- The Russian Armed Forces have been ordered to expand its manpower to nearly two million by midyear, over a million of them service members, a decree published on the government online portal of legal information Wednesday states.
- Norway Inks Deal to Buy P-8A Poseidon Maritime Patrol Planes From US Sputnik 29 Mar 2017 -- Norway struck a deal with the United States on Wednesday to buy five Boeing P-8A Poseidon maritime patrol aircraft, the Nordic nation's Defense Ministry announced.
- Finnish Air Force Unveils US-Themed Special Unit Sputnik 29 Mar 2017 -- The Finnish Air Force has without unnecessary publicity formed a new US-style special unit called Raven. The newly-formed unit will, in line with their US prototype, handle the protection of aircraft and VIP passengers in hazardous locations.
- Indian Navy Retires Soviet Tu-142 Maritime Patrol Jets After Decades in Service Sputnik 29 Mar 2017 -- A fleet of Soviet-made Tu-142M maritime patrol aircraft was retired Wednesday at a ceremony in India, after almost three decades of impeccable service, the Indian Navy has announced.
- Multi-Billion Deal for Purchase of T-90 Tanks Between India & Russia Gather Pace Sputnik 29 Mar 2017 -- India has expedited negotiations with Russia to buy 464 advanced T-90 tanks and upgrade 850 existing T-90 tanks. The tank purchase will cost US$ 2.1 billion. The purchase and upgradation deal were discussed at the two-day India-Russia Military Industrial Conference held in New Delhi.
- India Commissions Amphibious Landing Craft Near Malacca Straits Sputnik 29 Mar 2017 -- The Indian Navy commissioned the first of its eight landing craft utility (LCU) at the Andaman and Nicobar Islands, close to the Malacca Strait. LCUs are meant to transport military equipment like tanks, armored vehicles and troops.
- Indian Navy Air Station Gets High-Tech Weather Sensors Sputnik 29 Mar 2017 -- The Indian Navy has installed state-of-the-art meteorological sensors at INS Rajali, one of its nine naval air stations. The forecasts made by the sensors will be broadcast to other air stations and Air Traffic Control towers automatically.
- Report: North Korea Increasing Activity at Nuclear Test Site VOA 29 Mar 2017 -- Increased activity at North Korea's main nuclear test site during the past few days could mean the country is in final preparations for a sixth nuclear bomb test, according to a report from the U.S.-Korea Institute.
- General Staff of Armed Forces hails Iran's deterrence power IRNA 29 Mar 2017 -- General Staff of the Armed Forces of the Islamic Republic of Iran, in a statement on Wednesday, said that Iran's deterrence power have reached a point that has caused strategic fear in the enemy's front.
- Iran May Grant Russia Access to Its Military Facilities on Certain Terms Sputnik 29 Mar 2017 -- Tehran is willing to grant Russia ad hoc access to its military bases should Moscow need them to carry out its counterterrorism operations, with the Iranian leadership making a discrete decision in each particular case.
- US Army Orders 150 More Humvee Combat Vehicles for Iraqi Forces Sputnik 29 Mar 2017 -- The Pentagon ordered a US defense company to produce 150 High Mobility Multipurpose Wheeled (HMMW) vehicles for Iraqi forces.
- German-Turkish Rift Spirals: Incirlik Base Under Review, Spy Claims Investigated Sputnik 29 Mar 2017 -- The ongoing row between Germany and Turkey has escalated, harsh diplomatic words transforming into decisive action with tangible economic, military and political consequences. The German government is seeking to relocate its military base in Incirlik, and authorities are to investigate allegations of Turkish spying on its soil
- Armenia Looks to Buy Russian Arms to Counter Azeri Military Potential Sputnik 29 Mar 2017 -- Armenia is interested in buying weaponry from Russia as deterrence against Azerbaijan's growing military potential, Defense Minister Vigen Sargsyan said Wednesday.
- Afghanistan to Get Helicopters, Aircraft as Part of Security Plan VOA 29 Mar 2017 -- Afghanistan is expected to get up to 200 helicopters and other aircraft as part of a four-year plan to improve the nation's security forces to help beat the Taliban insurgency, according to Dawlat Waziri, the spokesman for the Afghan Defense Ministry.
- Russian, Tajik Special Forces Destroy Conditional Terrorists During Joint Drills Sputnik 29 Mar 2017 -- Hundreds of servicemen with dozens of units of aviation and armored vehicles participated in Russian-Tajik joint counter-terrorism drills in Tajikistan, destroying targets of conditional extremists, the Russian military announced Wednesday.
- Daily Press Briefing by Press Secretary Sean Spicer -- #31 The White House 29 Mar 2017
- 29 March 2017 - Daily Press Briefing by the Office of the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General United Nations 29 Mar 2017
- Chinese fishing boat seized near Pengjia Islet CNA 29 Mar 2017 -- A Chinese fishing boat and its crew were seized and detained after they were caught fishing near Taiwan's Pengjia Islet (彭佳嶼), the Coast Guard Administration (CGA) said Wednesday.
- Rival Nations Dabble in South China Sea Tourism Despite Risks VOA 29 Mar 2017 -- Countries around the disputed South China Sea are opening tiny islets, some once tiny reefs, for tourism as a way of proving territorial claims, but the trend is expected to falter long term for lack of economic returns.
- Saudi air raid leaves 10 civilians dead in Yemen's Sa'ada Press TV 29 Mar 2017 -- Eight children and two women have lost their lives in a fresh Saudi aerial attack on Yemen's northwestern Sa'ada province.
- Turkish PM: Turkey's Euphrates Shield operation in Syria complete Press TV 29 Mar 2017 -- Turkish Prime Minister Binali Yildirim has announced the end of the country's Euphrates Shield operation on Syrian soil.
- Syrian troops, allies liberate vast area in northeastern Aleppo Press TV 29 Mar 2017 -- Syrian government forces, backed by allied fighters from popular defense groups, have liberated dozens of areas in the northwestern province of Aleppo from Takfiri Daesh terrorists as they continue to score victories in arduous battles against extremists across the country.
- Daesh shelling, US airstrikes raise Syria dam breach fears Press TV 29 Mar 2017 -- Engineers working to open spillways in a major Syrian dam partly held by Daesh in Raqqah province have had to evacuate the site after the extremists shelled it following US airstrikes.
- Syria, militants reach deal to evacuate 4 towns Press TV 29 Mar 2017 -- The Syrian government and anti-Damascus militants have reportedly reached a deal enabling the evacuation of civilians from four small towns in the Arab country.
- Syrian Army Eliminates 2,200 al-Nusra Front Terrorists in Hama Since March 23 Sputnik 29 Mar 2017 -- The Syrian army has eliminated over 2,200 militants from al-Nusra Front terrorist group and affiliated armed groups in Hama province since March 23, the Syrian Defense Ministry said Wednesday.
- Ceasefire Regime in Syria Generally Observed - Senior Russian Diplomat Sputnik 29 Mar 2017 -- The future of Syrian President Bashar Assad was not discussed at a meeting with the delegation of the Syrian opposition's High Negotiations Committee (HNC), Russian Deputy Foreign Minister Gennady Gatilov said Wednesday.
- Syrian Army Repels Attacks of Jabhat Fatah al Sham Militants Sputnik 29 Mar 2017 -- The Syrian Armed Forces along with the fighters of the Hezbollah movement have repelled several attacks of Jabhat Fatah al Sham, a terrorist group formerly known as the al-Nusra Front and outlawed in numerous countries, near the country's border with Lebanon, a source close to Hezbollah told Sputnik on Wednesday.
- Syria, Rebels Reach New Evacuation Deal for Besieged Cities VOA 29 Mar 2017 -- The Syrian government and rebels opposing President Bashar al-Assad have reached an agreement to evacuate civilians from towns besieged by fighters from both sides.
- Syrian Peace Talks Tackle Key Issue of Elections for First Time VOA 29 Mar 2017 -- Syrian opposition representatives attending the intra-Syrian peace talks report the issue of a transitional government leading to a political settlement to end their country's brutal six-year long war has been broached for the first time.
- US: Islamic State Sends Civilians into Buildings Rigged to Explode VOA 29 Mar 2017 -- Islamic State fighters have begun forcing civilians in Mosul into buildings rigged to explode, according to top U.S. commanders, and the new tactic could explain why scores of people died in the Iraqi city recently.
- Turkish FM slams decision to fly Kurdish flag in Kirkuk Press TV 29 Mar 2017 -- Turkish Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu has criticized a decision in the northern Iraqi city of Kirkuk to hoist the Kurdish flag over government buildings and public places.
- Turkey to Use Assault Drones in Operations Against Kurdistan Workers' Party Sputnik 29 Mar 2017 -- Turkey will use unmanned aerial assault vehicles in military operations against the Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK), expanding their military's current practice of utilizing surveillance drones to locate militants on the ground, Osman Kaymak, the governor of the eastern Turkish province of Tunceli, said Wednesday.
- Senate Panel to Follow Russia Probe 'Wherever Intelligence Leads It' VOA 29 Mar 2017 -- On the eve of closely watched public hearings, the Republican chairman and top Democrat on the U.S. Senate Intelligence Committee pledged an exhaustive and impartial probe of Russian meddling in last year's election and any possible collusion by President Donald Trump's inner circle.
- Nunes Controversy Could Stall House Russia Inquiry VOA 29 Mar 2017 -- Embattled House Intelligence Committee Chairman Devin Nunes threw a formerly bipartisan investigation of Russian election interference into doubt Tuesday, as he rejected calls for his recusal and stopped the committee's work for the rest of the week.
- State Department Employee Arrested and Charged With Concealing Extensive Contacts With Foreign Agents US Dept. of Justice 29 Mar 2017 -- A federal complaint was unsealed today charging Candace Marie Claiborne, 60, of Washington, D.C., and an employee of the U.S. Department of State, with obstructing an official proceeding and making false statements to the FBI, both felony offenses, for allegedly concealing numerous contacts that she had over a period of years with foreign intelligence agents.
- State Department Official Charged with Lying About Gifts from Chinese Agents VOA 29 Mar 2017 -- A long-time U.S. State Department employee has been arrested on charges of lying to investigators about numerous contacts and gifts she got from Chinese intelligence agents.
- Counterterror Efforts High on Agenda in Tillerson's Meetings with Turkey, NATO VOA 29 Mar 2017 -- The United States is examining its next steps in the campaign to defeat Islamic State militants and stabilize the refugee crisis with regional allies, as Secretary of State Rex Tillerson embarks on trips to Turkey and NATO headquarters this week. The top U.S. diplomat will press NATO allies to demonstrate a clear path to increase defense spending, in his first meeting with counterparts from this security bloc.
- US Secretary of State to Visit Ankara at a Critical Time VOA 29 Mar 2017 -- Rex Tillerson is making his first visit to key NATO ally Turkey as U.S. secretary of state.
- Prime Minister's letter to Donald Tusk triggering Article 50 UK Prime Minister's Office, 10 Downing Street 29 Mar 2017 -- "On 23 June last year, the people of the United Kingdom voted to leave the European Union. (...) Today, therefore, I am writing to give effect to the democratic decision of the people of the United Kingdom. I hereby notify the European Council in accordance with Article 50(2) of the Treaty on European Union of the United Kingdom’s intention to withdraw from the European Union."
- Signed, sealed and soon to be delivered: Britain's historic Brexit letter People's Daily 29 Mar 2017 -- British Prime Minister Theresa May and her most senior ministers gathered in the Cabinet room at 10 Downing Street Wednesday at the start of one of the most historic days in generations for Britain.
- British PM vows "no turning back" after triggering Brexit People's Daily 29 Mar 2017 -- The Britain on Wednesday officially started the historic process to leave the European Union (EU) as the letter signed by Prime Minister Theresa May is sent to leaders of the bloc.
- UK prime minister triggers Brexit process Press TV 29 Mar 2017 -- UK Prime Minister Theresa May has triggered the formal, two-year process of withdrawing Britain from the European Union (EU), likely to be the most complex negotiations London has held since World War Two.
- Britain Delivers Letter Triggering Brexit RFE/RL 29 Mar 2017 -- Great Britain has officially triggered the process of leaving the European Union by handing over a letter to European Council President Donald Tusk.
- UK PM May Formally Begins Brexit, Promising to Be 'Close and Committed Ally' Sputnik 29 Mar 2017 -- British Prime Minister Theresa May has formally begun the process of the UK leaving the European Union, by sending a letter of intent to European Council President Donald Tusk, triggering Article 50 of the Treaty of Lisbon and paving the way for the biggest political upheaval in the EU's history.
- Theresa May Addresses the House of Commons After Triggering Article 50 Sputnik 29 Mar 2017 -- British Prime Minister Theresa May has addressed the House of Commons after triggering Article 50 of the Treaty of the European Union.
- Britain Opens Formal Divorce Proceedings With Europe VOA 29 Mar 2017 -- Britain's decision to leave the European Union has been a divisive issue, but its passage has called attention to a question that many people of varying political persuasions around the world are asking these days: Has globalization been good for communities?
- Islamabad court stops extradition of US citizen of Pakistani origin Press TV 29 Mar 2017 -- A Pakistani court has temporarily barred the extradition of a US citizen of Pakistani origin who is blamed for plotting a terrorist attack in New York.
- Security Spokesman of Interior Ministry Announced Killing of Two Terrorists, Arresting Four, and Confiscating Explosives, Arms and Ammunition During a Raid on A Farm in Qatif Province SPA 29 Mar 2017 -- The Ministry of Interior today announced the killing of two terrorists, arresting of four, and confiscating explosives, arms and ammunition during a raid on farm in Qatif province early yesterday, with no fatalities or injuries among security personnel or citizens.
- US Ambassador: UN Aiding 'Corrupt' Government in Congo VOA 29 Mar 2017 -- U.S. Ambassador to the United Nations Nikki Haley on Wednesday accused the world body of aiding a "corrupt" government in the Democratic Republic of Congo.
- Arab Leaders Discuss Crises Facing Region at 28th Summit in Amman VOA 29 Mar 2017 -- The leaders of 21 Arab states examined the conflicts and crises facing their countries and the region as the 28th Arab League summit officially got underway Wednesday in the Jordanian capital Amman.
- Bahrain court gives jail, death sentences to dissidents Press TV 29 Mar 2017 -- A Bahraini court has handed down a jail sentence to a leader of the banned opposition al-Wefaq National Islamic Society and death and jail sentences to other anti-regime activists.
- CPC Central Committee calls to institutionalize education campaign People's Daily 29 Mar 2017 -- The Communist Party of China (CPC) Central Committee has said the ongoing education campaign on Party management should be institutionalized.
- Myanmar Voters Get to Judge Economic Success in By-Elections VOA 29 Mar 2017 -- Myanmar's ruling National League for Democracy (NLD) is facing a crucial test in regional by-elections, with voters getting their first chance at the polls to judge the government's economic performance since taking office in 2015.
- Caught In Protest Dragnet, Belarusians Accuse Police Of Brutality, Lies RFE/RL 29 Mar 2017 -- When Pavlo Belavus and his pregnant wife went out for groceries in central Minsk on March 26, he expected it would be a quick trip. Minutes later, they were herded into a police van. He was taken away and charged with participating in an unlawful protest.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|