08 March 2017 Military News
Defense Policy / Programs
- OIF / OND / OEF / OIR / OFS Casualty Update 08 Mar 2017[PDF]
- Officials Provide Details of Latest Counter-ISIS Strikes AFPS 08 Mar 2017 -- U.S. and coalition military forces continued to attack the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria yesterday, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials reported today.
- ISIS on Trajectory Toward Lasting Defeat, Defense Official Says AFPS 08 Mar 2017 -- Despite a long road ahead for the U.S.-led coalition in its fight to counter the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria, the enemy is being degraded by every measure and is on a trajectory to lasting defeat, a defense official told reporters on background today.
- 38 killed in Daesh attack on military hospital in Afghan capital Press TV 08 Mar 2017 -- At least 38 people have been killed and some 70 others injured in an attack by heavily-armed militants on Afghanistan's largest military hospital in the capital, Kabul.
- More Than 30 Dead In IS Attack On Kabul Military Hospital RFE/RL 08 Mar 2017 -- Medical officials said three gunmen wearing white lab coats began firing AK-47 assault rifles within the hospital compound after a suicide bomber blew himself up at the back entrance to the 400-bed facility.
- Afghanistan: UN mission condemns terrorist attack on Kabul military hospital UN News 08 Mar 2017 -- The United Nations mission in Afghanistan has condemned today's terrorist attack on a military hospital in Kabul for which the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL/Da'esh) claimed responsibility.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Selva: Nuclear Deterrent is the Joint Force Modernization Priority AFPS 08 Mar 2017 -- The joint force puts the U.S. nuclear deterrent at the top of its list for modernization and recapitalization and these no longer can be deferred, the vice chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff told House Armed Services Committee members this morning.
- US KC-135 completes first refueling mission with Romanian F-16 AFNS 08 Mar 2017 -- History was made when the U.S. Air Force and Romanian Air Force made their first air refueling contact Feb. 28, 2017, over Romania. With the help of the U.S. Air Force's 100th Air Refueling Wing and one of their KC-135 Stratotankers, the Romanian Air Force became certified to refuel from all U.S. KC-135s, strengthening their partnerships and regional stability.
- Joint medical exercise hits the beach AFNS 08 Mar 2017 -- More than 250 military medics from 12 units across the country converged at the 920th Rescue Wing for a joint medical exercise February 27 through March 5 to hone their capabilities for real-world wartime emergencies.
- Reserve mobility aircrew impacts mission in Baltic region AFNS 08 Mar 2017 -- The Air Force Reserve's 433rd Airlift Wing C-5M Super Galaxy delivered 207,000 pounds of cargo comprised of three Army UH-60 Blackhawk helicopters, four Army vehicles, and 39 10th Combat Aviation Brigade Soldiers to Latvia Feb. 28 and March 3, in support of Operation Atlantic Resolve.
- Senior Enlisted Military Advisors Call for Budget Certainty AFPS 08 Mar 2017 -- The military's senior enlisted members appeared before Congress today to discuss quality of life issues and advocate for budget certainty to maintain military superiority and recruit and retain the best people.
- Flintlock 2017 Exercise Enhances Interoperability in Africa AFPS 08 Mar 2017 -- Military representatives from Morocco and the United States held an opening ceremony Feb. 27 for the Flintlock 2017 exercise at the Tifnit training base here, marking another milestone in a relationship between their nations that began in the 1700s.
- Polish and U.S. forces conduct CBRN training Army News 08 Mar 2017 -- U.S. Soldiers assigned to 588th Brigade Engineer Battalion, 3rd Armored Brigade Combat Team, 4th Infantry Division and Polish soldiers with the 10th Armored Calvary Brigade, participated in a simulated Chemical, Biological, Radiological and Nuclear reconnaissance exercise Mar. 7, 2017 at Swietoszow Training Area in Swietozow, Poland to improve Allied capabilities and leverage the power of the Army's "Total Force".
- Patriots Partner with Arrowhead Division Army News 08 Mar 2017 -- Soldiers from the 3rd Brigade, 10th Mountain Division (LI) "Patriots" trained side by side with members of the 36th Infantry Division "Arrowhead" during the Mountain Peak exercise here at Fort Polk, writing history together as the first two units in the Associated Unit Pilot program, or AUP, to participate in a major training event together.
- Top U.S. General Says Russia Deployed Banned Missiles To Threaten NATO RFE/RL 08 Mar 2017 -- The vice chairman of the U.S. Joint Chiefs of Staff says Russia has deployed a land-based cruise missile that violates the "spirit and intent" of a Cold War-era nuclear arms control treaty -- and that it did so to "pose a threat to NATO."
- US Accuses Russia of Deploying Missile in Violation of Arms Control Treaty VOA 08 Mar 2017 -- The United States has publicly accused Russia for the first time of deploying a cruise missile in violation of a 30-year-old arms control agreement.
- Statement by the NATO Secretary General on the Kosovo Security Force (KSF) NATO 08 Mar 2017 -- Today, I have spoken to Hashim Thaci and Isa Mustafa to convey the serious concerns of NATO Allies about recent proposals by the Kosovo authorities to transform the Kosovo Security Force (KSF) into an armed force, without a constitutional change. I made clear that unilateral steps such as these are unhelpful, and I urged the Kosovo authorities to remain in close contact with Belgrade.
- Thaci: 'No Turning Back' On Kosovo Army Despite NATO, U.S. Warnings RFE/RL 08 Mar 2017 -- Kosovar President Hashim Thaci says there is "no turning back" from his plan to transform the Balkan country's lightly armed security force into a national army, brushing off strongly voiced concern from NATO and the United States.
- Chinese Premier: Expand Military Presence in South, East China Seas Sputnik 08 Mar 2017 -- In a move analysts expect will inflame tensions between regional powers in the East and South China Seas, Chinese Premier Li Keqiang called on the National People's Congress for reinforcements to increase manpower in waters Beijing claims are integral to the country's destiny, Chinese media reported.
- Seoul's THAAD gamble to rock regional security People's Daily 08 Mar 2017 -- As Seoul quickens its steps to set up a U.S. missile defense system, conservative political elements in South Koreaare putting the vital security interests of the country and the region at risk for their own gains.
- China reiterates opposition to THAAD deployment in ROK People's Daily 08 Mar 2017 -- China on Tuesday reiterated its opposition to the deployment of a U.S. missile shield in the Republic of Korea (ROK).
- Deployment of US THAAD missile system to S Korea poses threat against China Press TV 08 Mar 2017 -- The recent deployment of a US missile system to South Korea not only poses a threat against North Korea, but also threatens the whole region, particularly China, experts say.
- Latest ballistic launches by DPR Korea raise risk of regional arms race, UN Security Council warns UN News 08 Mar 2017 -- Expressing strong condemnation of the most recent ballistic missile launches carried out by the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK), the United Nations Security Council reiterated that the country should refrain from any actions, including nuclear tests, in violation of the relevant Council resolutions, and comply fully with its obligations under those resolutions.
- China Warns US, North Korea Heading for Collision VOA 08 Mar 2017 -- China's foreign minister has warned that the United States and North Korea are on a collision course, citing rising tensions on the Korean peninsula. He's also urged both sides to take steps to de-escalate the situation.
- Haley Demands Positive Action from North Korea Before Talks VOA 08 Mar 2017 -- U.S. ambassador to the United Nations Nikki Haley says the United States must see "some sort of positive action" from North Korea before any discussions to lower tensions on the Korean peninsula can begin.
- Analysts: Military Options Against North Korea Fraught With Danger VOA 08 Mar 2017 -- Frustrated that North Korea has been undeterred by international sanctions, the administration of U.S. President Donald Trump is conducting a policy review to look for more effective ways to counter Pyongyang's missile and nuclear threats.
- UN Security Council condemns DPRK's ballistic missile launches People's Daily 08 Mar 2017 -- The United Nations Security Council Tuesday strongly condemned the most recent ballistic missile launches by the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK), and urged the country to refrain from further actions.
- China proposes steps to help prevent 'head-on collision' between US, North Korea Press TV 08 Mar 2017 -- China has called on the United States and South Korea to stop joint war games in the Korean Peninsula in exchange for a halt to North Korea's nuclear and missile tests as a step to defuse a looming crisis in the region.
- US, South Korea drills may result in actual war, North Korea warns Press TV 08 Mar 2017 -- Pyongyang has warned that the US and South Korean joint military exercises may lead to "actual war."
- China Unveils Deescalation Plan for Korean Peninsula Sputnik 08 Mar 2017 -- Beijing suggested Pyongyang should stop launching missiles and halt its nuclear program while Seoul and Washington should cease drills which annoy North Korea.
- DPRK Spends Vital Resources on Missile Program Ignoring Nationals' Needs - UN Sputnik 08 Mar 2017 -- The UN Security Council said in a statement that North Korea spent vital resources on ballistic missile launches while its citizens continued to live in dire conditions.
- China Floats Compromise to Defuse Korea Tensions VOA 08 Mar 2017 -- The United Nations Security Council is holding a closed-door briefing Wednesday on North Korea's latest ballistic missile launches, as China calls for North Korea, South Korea and the United States to take steps to avoid a "head-on collision."
- Indian Navy to Retire Its Reconnaissance Tupolev-142M After Almost 30 Years Sputnik 08 Mar 2017 -- The Indian Navy's three Tupolev-142M aircraft have been in service for maritime reconnaissance and anti-submarine operations since 1988.
- Iran's defense minister promises strong response to enemy moves Press TV 08 Mar 2017 -- Iranian Defense Minister Brigadier General Hossein Dehqan says the country's defensive military power will catch enemies off guard in case of an act of aggression against the Islamic Republic.
- US ship changed course towards Iran vessels: IRGC commander Press TV 08 Mar 2017 -- A commander with Iran's Islamic Revolution Guards Corps (IRGC) says an American warship recently drew its warning by sailing "unprofessionally" close to the force's vessels near Iranian territorial waters.
- Japan Considers First Strike Options Against North Korea Sputnik 08 Mar 2017 -- In the wake of intercontinental ballistic missile testing by the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK), legislators in Japan are calling for the nation to adopt a new military posture against its nearby nuclear-capable neighbor.
- Department Press Briefing - March 8, 2017 US Dept. of State 08 Mar 2017
- Press Briefing by Press Secretary Sean Spicer The White House 08 Mar 2017
- 8 March 2017 - Daily Press Briefing by the Office of the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General United Nations 08 Mar 2017
- Chinese FM Vows Not to Let Other Countries Disturb South China Sea Calm Sputnik 08 Mar 2017 -- Minister Wang Yi said the hard-won stability in the South China Sea should not be disturbed, just as the US deployed an aircraft carrier in the region.
- Turkey Pushes Syria Safe Zones VOA 08 Mar 2017 -- Turkey is pushing the idea once again of establishing safe zones in northern Syria and wants the issue on the agenda at the next round of U.N.-led peace talks in Geneva, which are scheduled for later this month.
- Iraqi Army Recaptures Jail IS Used for Executions VOA 08 Mar 2017 -- Iraqi soldiers on Wednesday recaptured a prison outside Mosul that had been controlled by Islamic State jihadists and reportedly used for hundreds of executions, the Iraqi military said.
- Gunboat Diplomacy: Donetsk Forces Prep for Amphibious Attacks by Ukraine's Navy Sputnik 08 Mar 2017 -- The Defense Ministry of the self-proclaimed Donetsk People's Republic has announced that it has taken the necessary measures to shore up coastal defenses following an attack on militia positions by Ukrainian Navy patrol boats this past weekend. Observers warn that the attacks could become a regular occurrence, based on a new naval strategy by Kiev.
- Recent initiatives important milestones towards greater peace in Mali, say UN, regional partners UN News 08 Mar 2017 -- Commending recent progress, including the launch of interim authorities in Kidal, northern Mali, the United Nations together with regional blocs urged the parties to the peace agreement in the African nation to overcome the difficulties which are impeding the establishment of such authorities in the Taoudéni and Timbuktu regions.
- Philippines Struggles to Reach New Power-Sharing Deal in Restive Muslim Region VOA 08 Mar 2017 -- The killing of a German tourist in the Philippines is adding urgency to talks between the government of crime-fighting President Rodrigo Duterte and armed Muslim rebel groups with different agendas.
- UN Rights Chief Decries Trump's U.S. Immigration Policies RFE/RL 08 Mar 2017 -- The United Nations human rights chief has warned that U.S. President Donald Trump's immigration policies could lead to collective expulsions of migrants that would amount to a breach of international law.
- Trump Considering Security Funding Cuts to Pay for Mexico Border Wall VOA 08 Mar 2017 -- U.S. President Donald Trump is weighing funding cuts for the country's Coast Guard, its natural disaster emergency agency, and airport security arm so he will have money to start building a wall along the U.S.-Mexican border and crack down on illegal immigration.
- US Lawmakers Moving Quickly on Trump-related Probes VOA 08 Mar 2017 -- U.S. lawmakers are moving quickly to learn more about Russian meddling in last year's presidential election and to try to determine whether there is any substance to President Donald Trump's so-far unfounded claim that former President Barack Obama wiretapped his Trump Tower headquarters in the weeks before the voting.
- CIA using technique to impersonate Russian hackers: Leaks Press TV 08 Mar 2017 -- The CIA has routinely used techniques that enable the spy agency's hackers to stage false-flag operations in cyberspace and leave behind "fingerprints" of hackers from Russia, according to the latest internal documents published by WikiLeaks.
- Leaked CIA Documents Show Frankfurt As Regional Hub For Cyberespionage RFE/RL 08 Mar 2017 -- The U.S. Consulate in Frankfurt was the hub for U.S. cyberespionage in Europe, the Middle East, and Africa, according to some of the thousands of purported Central Intelligence Agency documents released by WikiLeaks.
- Germany Taking WikiLeaks Information on CIA Surveillance 'Very Seriously' Sputnik 08 Mar 2017 -- Germany is in constant contact with the United States on the issues of cybersecurity and is taking information released by WikiLeaks on Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) espionage seriously, German Foreign Ministry spokesman Sebastian Fischer said Wednesday.
- Tech Companies Respond to Alleged CIA Hacking Tools VOA 08 Mar 2017 -- Major technology firms say they are moving to fix any vulnerabilities in their operating systems, a day after WikiLeaks released documents pertaining to an alleged CIA hacking arsenal capable of spying on people through microphones in mobile phones and other electronic devices, such as smart televisions.
- Turkey has increased 'intelligence efforts' in Germany, Berlin says Press TV 08 Mar 2017 -- Germany's domestic intelligence agency BfV has warned about Turkey's increased espionage activities in Germany, amid souring relations between the two countries ahead of a Turkish referendum to boost the power of the president.
- Germany Warns Turkey Nazi Remark A 'Red Line,' Calls For Dialogue RFE/RL 08 Mar 2017 -- German Foreign Minister Sigmar Gabriel has said Germany and Turkey must work toward restoring ties damaged by several diplomatic rows, but warned Ankara that making a comparison to Nazis in any dispute is a "red line that cannot be crossed."
- Pakistani Alleged Spy For Iran Goes On Trial in Berlin RFE/RL 08 Mar 2017 -- A Pakistani man went on trial in a Berlin court on March 8 to face charges that he was spying on Israeli and Jewish institutions for Iran's Islamic Revolutionary Guards Corp. (IRGC).
- U.S. has not changed 'one China' policy: State Department CNA 08 Mar 2017 -- The U.S. State Department said Tuesday that there has been no change to the country's "one China" policy since President Donald Trump took office in January.
- Taiwan has no diplomatic future: China Press TV 08 Mar 2017 -- China's Foreign Minister Wang Yi says Taiwan has no diplomatic future, pointing to the self-ruled island's diminishing number of formal allies across the globe.
- China to continue contributing to global stability, growth, peace, governance: FM People's Daily 08 Mar 2017 -- Chinese Foreign Minister Wang Yi said Wednesday that China will continue to be an anchor of international stability, an engine of global growth, a champion of peace and development and a contributor to global governance.
- Premier calls Tibet's stability, development a 'special' priority People's Daily 08 Mar 2017 -- Premier Li Keqiang called for maintaining the stability and development of the Tibet autonomous region when he joined a panel discussion with National People's Congress deputies from the plateau region on Tuesday.
- Video Emerges of Murdered Kim Jong Nam's Son VOA 08 Mar 2017 -- A man claiming to be the son of the North Korean leader's slain half brother said he and his family are safe and in an undisclosed location, in a video released online.
- Malaysia says curently has no plan to cut diplomatic ties with DPRK People's Daily 08 Mar 2017 -- Malaysian Prime Minister Najib Razak said Wednesday his country currently has no plan to cut diplomatic ties with the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK).
- Iran IAEA envoy questions US call for strict implementation of JCPOA IRNA 08 Mar 2017 -- Iran's Resident Representative to the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) Reza Najafi said on Wednesday that US delegation can talk about strict implementation of the JCPOA if and only if it fully complies with its obligations under the JCPOA.
- All parties to JCPOA must fulfill commitments, says Iran's IAEA envoy Press TV 08 Mar 2017 -- Iran's ambassador to the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) says the 2015 nuclear agreement between the Islamic Republic and the P5+1 group of countries will be "sustainable" only if all parties fulfill their obligations stipulated in the deal.
- China develops reusable spacecraft for manned lunar missions People's Daily 08 Mar 2017 -- China is developing a new spacecraft that can carry astronauts to destinations at and beyond low Earth orbit, and can also be used on multiple missions. The vehicle is a crucial component of the country's future manned lunar mission.
- UN: 17 Million People Face Hunger East Africa VOA 08 Mar 2017 -- U.N. Secretary-General Antonio Guterres warned Wednesday that East Africans are facing starvation and that the situation might worsen if nothing is done to avert the crisis.
- Hungary's Plan to Detain All Asylum Seekers Sparks Outrage VOA 08 Mar 2017 -- Hungary's parliament has passed a law allowing the detention of all asylum seekers in border camps and the summary return of any illegal migrants back to the country from which they entered. The United Nations' refugee agency, along with several human rights groups, say the policy breaks international and European Union laws,
- News Analysis: Macedonia's Ruling Party 'Playing With Fire' As Political Crisis Continues RFE/RL 08 Mar 2017 -- The key to the current political crisis convulsing Macedonia might just be a single phrase heard on one of the leaked wiretap recordings that shook that Balkan country two years ago.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|