Saudi vessels target southwestern Yemen, kill 10
Iran Press TV
Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:41AM
Ten people have been killed in rocket attacks by Saudi military vessels against a residential neighborhood in Yemen's southwestern coastal province of Ta'izz.
Unnamed local sources said the Saudi craft fired a barrage of rockets at a village in the Maqbanah district of the province, which is situated 346 kilometers south of the capital, Sana'a, on Tuesday morning, also injuring dozens of people, Arabic-language Saba news agency reported.
Shortly afterward, Saudi military aircraft carried out an airstrike against a truck as it was traveling along a road in the al-Khawkhah district of the western coastal province, of Hudaydah. The attack claimed the life of a civilian.
Additionally, five people were killed and two others injured when Saudi fighter jets pounded a market in the Haydan district of the northwestern province of Sa'ada.
Saudi jets also launched three attacks against an area in the Red Sea port city of Mukha, though no reports of casualties and the extent of damage inflicted were reported.
Saudi warplanes conducted two aerial attacks against an area in the city of Sirwah, which lies about 120 kilometers east of the capital, as well. No reports of casualties were available.
Farming lands in the Abs district of the northwestern Hajjah Province were also bombarded, but no words on possible casualties were available.
UN updates death toll from Saudi war
Meanwhile, the United Nations (UN) humanitarian coordinator for Yemen, Jamie McGoldrick, says the nearly two-year conflict in the impoverished Arab country has claimed the lives of 10,000 people and left 40,000 others wounded.
McGoldrick told reporters in Sana'a that the figure is based on lists of victims gathered by health facilities and that the actual number might be higher.
The Saudi war on Yemen, which local sources say has killed at least 11,400 people, was launched in an unsuccessful attempt to reinstate the former government.
The Saudi war has also taken a heavy toll on the country's facilities and infrastructure, destroying many hospitals, schools and factories.
The UN Children's Fund (UNICEF) representative in Yemen, Meritxell Relano, said last week that almost 1,400 children had been killed and 2,140 injured as a result of the conflict in Yemen.
He added that some 2,000 schools have been destroyed, damaged or used as shelters for displaced families.
"Schools should be zones of peace at all times, a sanctuary where children can learn, grow, play and be safe. Children should never risk their lives only to attend school," Relano underlined.
He said UNICEF called on all parties to the Yemeni conflict to honor their obligations under international humanitarian law and stop attacks on civilian infrastructure, including schools.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|