27 December 2016 Military News
- OIF / OND / OEF / OIR / OFS Casualty Update 27 Dec 2016 [PDF]
- US Commander: Two More Years to Clear Daesh from Mosul, Raqqa Sputnik 27 Dec 2016 -- It will take two more years of hard work to clear Daesh from its strongholds in Mosul and Raqqa and kill or capture those who attempt to escape into the desert between Syria and Iraq, the US commander in Iraq says.
- Counter-ISIL Strikes Continue in Syria, Iraq AFPS 27 Dec 2016 -- U.S. and coalition military forces continued to attack Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant terrorists in Syria and Iraq yesterday, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials reported today.
- Russia, Partners Say Kabul Welcome at Future Talks on Afghan Security VOA 27 Dec 2016 -- Russia, China and Pakistan bowed to Afghan complaints Tuesday, announcing after talks in Moscow that Kabul will be invited to participate in future meetings on the threat posed by Islamic State militants in Afghanistan.
- Efforts to Facilitate Afghan Gov't, Taliban Talks Needed Sputnik 27 Dec 2016 -- Foreign Secretary of Pakistan Aizaz Ahmad Chaudhry stated that politically negotiated settlement is the only viable option for durable peace in Afghanistan.
- Female Afghan Pilot Seeks Asylum In U.S., Sparking Fierce Debate RFE/RL 27 Dec 2016 -- Niloofar Rahmani, a celebrated Afghan female pilot who was awarded a "Women of Courage" prize by the U.S. State Department, has touched off a heated debate in Afghanistan by applying for asylum in the United States.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Air mobility squadron expedites the fight AFNS 27 Dec 2016 -- "You need it, we move it." That is the saying of Airmen with the 8th Expeditionary Air Mobility Squadron who enable rapid global mobility every day at Al Udeid Air base, one of U.S. Central Command's busiest en route stations.
- 53rd WEG Airmen create new initiative for smarter operations AFNS 27 Dec 2016 -- Leaders from the 53rd Weapon Evaluations Group met Dec. 16, 2016, to discuss the group's newest initiative that uses innovative problem solving to help streamline their mission.
- Phantom's phinale AFNS 27 Dec 2016 -- This was the final flight of the QF-4 Phantom – the final flight of AF 349 – and after 53 dedicated years of superior service, the final flight of the Phantom II would be done right.
- FY 17 NDAA impact on Airmen AFNS 27 Dec 2016 -- The approval of the National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA) for Fiscal Year 2017 provides a number of changes for Airmen, retirees, and families, to include stabilizing readiness and end strength, improving pilot retention, modernizing compensation and benefits and enhancing transparency in the Uniform Code of Military Justice.
- Army officials advance strategic shift for resiliency campaign Army News 27 Dec 2016 -- During deployments, Soldiers often develop tight bonds while living together and working as a team to execute their missions.
- Navy Accepts Delivery of Future USS Gabrielle Giffords (LCS 10) NNS 27 Dec 2016 -- The Navy accepted delivery of the future USS Gabrielle Giffords (LCS 10) during a ceremony, Dec. 23.
- USS Pennsylvania (B) Returns to NBK-Bangor NNS 27 Dec 2016 -- The Blue crew of the Ohio-class ballistic-missile submarine USS Pennsylvania (SSBN 735) returned to its homeport of Naval Base Kitsap-Bangor, Washington, following a 92-day strategic deterrent patrol, Dec. 23.
- US was No. 1 in arms sales in 2015, selling $40 billion Press TV 27 Dec 2016 -- The United States sold over $40 billion worth of weapons last year, maintaining its position as the world's dominant arms supplier, according to a new congressional study.
- Russia says Obama signed defense bill to create problems for Trump Press TV 27 Dec 2016 -- US President Barack Obama's recent signing of the annual defense policy bill is meant to cause trouble for the incoming commander-in-chief, Donald Trump, Moscow says.
- Moscow Claims U.S. Defense Bill Forcing 'Anti-Russian' Policy On Trump RFE/RL 27 Dec 2016 -- Russia has sharply criticized an annual defense spending bill signed by U.S. President Barack Obama last week, accusing him of seeking to undermine President-elect Donald Trump and forcing a "depraved anti-Russian" policy on him at the start of his term.
- McCain assures Baltics concerned about Trump's policy Press TV 27 Dec 2016 -- Senators John McCain and Lindsey Graham are touring the Baltic region in a visit seen as an attempt to alleviate concerns about President-elect Donald Trump's policy toward Russia.
- US to Remain Committed to NATO During Trump Presidency - Senator McCain Sputnik 27 Dec 2016 -- US Senator John McCain said the relationship between the United States and NATO will remain as it has been thus far.
- McCain Says U.S. Committed To NATO And Baltic Security RFE/RL 27 Dec 2016 -- Veteran U.S. Senator John McCain says the United States is committed to NATO and to providing security to the Baltic region in the face of a bolder Russia.
- McCain, in Estonia, Defends Need for NATO to Deter Russia VOA 27 Dec 2016 -- A leading American senator is telling Baltic state leaders they can count on continued U.S. support from the incoming Donald Trump administration in the event of any Russian aggression.
- Russian Army Receives All Mi-8AMTSh-VA Arctic Copters Under 2016 State Order Sputnik 27 Dec 2016 -- Russian Helicopters holding said that Defense Ministry has received all Mi-8AMTSh Terminator and Mi-8AMTSh-VA military transport helicopters modified for the use in the Arctic region ordered under the 2016 state defense procurement plan.
- Over 160 Items of Advanced, Prospective Russian Arms Tested in Syria - Minister Sputnik 27 Dec 2016 -- Russian Defense Minister said that more than 160 items of advanced and prospective Russian arms were tested in the country's operation in Syria.
- Russia's State Arms Exporter Reports $45Bln in Orders, 2016 Sales to Top $13Bln Sputnik 27 Dec 2016 -- CEO of the Rostec State Corporation said that Russia's state arms exporter Rosoboronexport plans to sell over $13 billion worth of weapons this year, with the total orders portfolio currently at $45 billion.
- UK Invokes Fear of 'Russian Threat' to Create New Strike Brigades Sputnik 27 Dec 2016 -- Britain plans to form two Strike Brigades equipped with Ajax armored fighting vehicles to grapple with the alleged "Russian threat", according to the newspaper Izvestia.
- China protests US defense bill People's Daily 27 Dec 2016 -- China lodged a protest with the United States for signing a defense act that included a call for senior military exchanges between the US and Taiwan, the Foreign Ministry said on Monday.
- Taiwan deploys jet fighters to monitor China's aircraft carrier CNA 27 Dec 2016 -- Defense Minister Feng Shih-kuan (馮世寬) confirmed Tuesday that Taiwanese fighter jets were deployed and took photos of China's first aircraft carrier as it sailed in waters off eastern Taiwan recently.
- MIRVs to Make India's 'Agni' ICBM More Potent Sputnik 27 Dec 2016 -- After the successful test launch of the intercontinental ballistic missile Agni 5, India will now work on improving the warhead. The next version with MIRVs will be called Agni 6.
- India Sends 4,000 Troops to Reopen Highway Blocked by Protesters Sputnik 27 Dec 2016 -- India's central government sent 4,000 paramilitary personnel to the northwestern state of Manipur to reopen a highway connecting the state to its northern neighbor, Nagaland, and stop the violent protests the erection of the blockade had sparked.
- Iranian Army successfully testfires mid-range missile IRNA 27 Dec 2016 -- Iranian Army successfully testfired mid-range missiles against hypothetical enemies that invaded some sensitive sites in southern parts of the country.
- Iran forces drill high-precision targeting Press TV 27 Dec 2016 -- Major joint military drills by Iran's Army and the Islamic Revolution Guards Corps (IRGC) have entered their second day, when the recruits practiced high-precision targeting against mock invasive aircraft.
- S.Korean presidential hopeful raises doubt about THAAD capability, aim behind deployment People's Daily 27 Dec 2016 -- A rising South Korean presidential hopeful in the opposition bloc raised doubts about the capability of Terminal High Altitude Area Defense (THAAD) and the possibly hidden aim behind the agreed-upon deployment of the U.S. missile defense system in South Korean soil.
- India Keeping Close Watch on Nepal-China Military Drill Sputnik 27 Dec 2016 -- The China-Nepal joint military exercise to be held in February has made the Indian security establishment sit up. Although the nature of the joint drills will be largely symbolic in nature, its significance is not lost on India that is already concerned by the opening of the Lhasa-Kathmandu trade route.
- December 27, 2016 - U.S. Department of State Daily Press Briefing US Dept. of State 27 Dec 2016
- IS Makes Small Comeback in Areas It Once Held VOA 27 Dec 2016 --As it suffers major setbacks across Iraq and Syria, the Islamic State is doubling back in some areas and retaking territory it lost months ago.
- Turkeys has 'evidence' of US supporting Daesh in Syria: Erdogan Press TV 27 Dec 2016 -- Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan says he has "confirmed evidence" that the US-led coalition is supporting Daesh and other terrorist groups in Syria.
- Turkish Army Kills 13 Daesh Terrorists in Syria's North Sputnik 27 Dec 2016 -- 13 militants of the Daesh terrorist group were killed and a total of 158 Daesh objects were destroyed by Turkish military near the northern Syrian city of Al Bab, according to the statement.
- Russia will up cooperation with Iran, Turkey on Syria: Lavrov Press TV 27 Dec 2016 -- Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov says his country would continue to boost cooperation with Iran and Turkey on the developments in Syria.
- US bid to ease arms flow to Syria militants endangers Russian forces: Moscow Press TV 27 Dec 2016 -- Russia has warned that a US decision to ease restrictions on the provision of arms to militants in Syria compromises the safety of Russian aircraft and servicemen operating in the Arab country.
- Russia: US Policy Change on Arming Syrian Rebels a 'Hostile Act' VOA 27 Dec 2016 -- Russia says a recent U.S. decision to ease restrictions on arming Syrian rebels is a "hostile act" that would jeopardize Russia's forces and its other interests in Syria.
- Syria pushing to retake key area near capital Press TV 27 Dec 2016 -- The Syrian army has escalated the push to retake from militants a strategic area near Damascus where a spring supplies the city with much of its water.
- Russian, Syrian Diplomats Discuss Political Settlement of Syrian Crisis Sputnik 27 Dec 2016 -- Russian Deputy Foreign Minister Mikhail Bogdanov held talks with Syrian Ambassador to Russia Riyad Haddad.
- EU commits additional 7 million euros to support UNICEF in Iraq UN News 27 Dec 2016 -- The United Nations Children's Fund (UNICEF) has received a new pledge of 7 million euros from the European Union to support the UN agency's work in Iraq, where an estimated 11 million are in need of humanitarian assistance – half of them children.
- Background Briefing Previewing Secretary Kerry's Remarks on Middle East Peace US Dept. of State 27 Dec 2016 -- Special Briefing by Senior State Department Official
- Israel issued over 2k demolition orders in West Bank in 2.5 yrs: Official data Press TV 27 Dec 2016 -- Newly released figures show that the Israeli regime issued a total of 2,141 demolition orders for Palestinian structures built in the largest division of the occupied West Bank in two and a half years.
- Israel 'reducing' ties with backers of anti-settlement UN resolution Press TV 27 Dec 2016 -- Israel says it is "reducing" ties with the nations that voted for last week's UN Security Council resolution demanding a halt to Tel Aviv's settlement expansion in Palestinian territory.
- Israel may go ahead with settlement plans despite UN vote: Official Press TV 27 Dec 2016 -- An Israeli official says the regime may press ahead with its plans to build thousands more illegal settler units in the occupied territories in blatant disregard of a recent anti-settlement resolution at the United Nations Security Council.
- New Israeli Settlement Construction Set for Approval VOA 27 Dec 2016 -- Israeli officials are set to approve permits Wednesday for the construction of hundreds of new settler homes in occupied East Jerusalem, in defiance of a landmark United Nations resolution calling for an end to such construction in territories seized by Israel from its Arab neighbors in the 1967 war.
- Netanyahu Says Israel Not to 'Turn Other Cheek' After UNSC Resolution Sputnik 27 Dec 2016 -- Israel's response to the UN Security Council resolution condemning its settlement-building policy in the West Bank demonstrates that Israel will not "turn the other cheek" and at the same time it will not harm its relations with other countries as they only respect strong nations, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said.
- Role of UN Observers Crucial Amid Kashmir Ceasefire Violations Sputnik 27 Dec 2016 -- Foreign Secretary of Pakistan Aizaz Ahmad Chaudhry said that the role UN Monitoring Observer Group in India and Pakistan (UNMOGIP) is crucial in ensuring peace and tranquility at the LoC [Line of Control].
- India to Start Dangerous Precedent if Violates Water-Sharing Deal With Pakistan Sputnik 27 Dec 2016 -- Foreign Secretary of Pakistan Aizaz Ahmad Chaudhry expressed hope that India would abide by its obligations under the Indus Water Treaty.
- White paper sets out China's vision as a space power People's Daily 27 Dec 2016 -- China aims to become a space power, according to a white paper on the nation's space activities issued on Tuesday.
- US, Japanese Leaders Pay Tribute to Americans Killed in Pearl Harbor Attack VOA 27 Dec 2016 -- Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe has expressed "sincere and everlasting condolences" to the families of the more than 2,400 Americans killed in Japan's World War II attack on Pearl Harbor, Hawaii, 75 years ago.
- New Somali Parliament Takes Office Amid High Hopes, Charges of Graft VOA 27 Dec 2016 -- Somalia has sworn in the members of a new parliament following a process marred by irregularities and charges of corruption. But it is delaying its presidential election for a fourth time, likely until late January.
- Somalia inaugurates new parliament in Mogadishu Press TV 27 Dec 2016 -- Nearly 300 new Somali lawmakers have been sworn in following weeks of voting in a complex political process.
- Somalia: UN, global partners 'gravely concerned' over changes to electoral process UN News 27 Dec 2016 -- The United Nations and other members of the international community have voiced grave concern over recent decisions by Somalia's National Leadership Forum (NLF) that contravenes the African country's constitutional electoral processes.
- Venezuela opposition demands concessions to resume talks Press TV 27 Dec 2016 -- Venezuela's opposition says it will not return to a Vatican-brokered dialog with President Nicolas Maduro's government unless major concessions are offered.
- Former Argentine President Fernandez Indicted On Corruption Charges Sputnik 27 Dec 2016 -- Cristina Fernandez de Kirchner, President of Argentina from 2007 to 2015, was indicted Tuesday on corruption charges. She has denied all allegations, arguing they are politically motivated.
- Turkish Police Officers Go on Trial for Coup VOA 27 Dec 2016 -- Turkey has begun the trial of 29 police officers accused of helping the failed July coup that led to 270 deaths and launched a massive government crackdown.
- Turkey begins trial of 29 officers linked to coup attempt Press TV 27 Dec 2016 -- Twenty-nine Turkish police officers have gone on trial in the port city of Istanbul in connection with the failed coup of July 15.
- Supreme Leader: Islamic ban on nuclear arms has logical foundation IRNA 27 Dec 2016 -- Supreme Leader of the Islamic Revolution Ayatollah Seyyed Ali Khamenei said on Tuesday that Islamic ban on nuclear arms has logical foundation.
- Iran's nuclear capability could foster regional cooperation: Official IRNA 27 Dec 2016 -- Iran by relying on its nuclear capacities can further promote ties with regional nations, says Behrouz Kamalvandi spokesman for Atomic Energy Organization of Iran (AEOI).
- AEOI Spokesman: Iran ready to share nuclear experience with regional countries Press TV 27 Dec 2016 -- Atomic Energy Organization of Iran says sharing nuclear know-how with neighboring countries will pave the way for regional developments.
- US wants to keep Daesh terrorists in Mideast: Iran Press TV 27 Dec 2016 -- Iranian Defense Minister Brigadier General Hossein Dehqan has slammed Washington's lack of seriousness in the fight against the Daesh terrorist group, saying the US has nurtured terrorists itself and now wants them to stay in the Middle East.
- Iran Opposition Leader Quits Party After Long House Arrest RFE/RL 27 Dec 2016 -- Mehdi Karrubi, a top Iranian opposition leader who has been under house arrest for nearly six years, has resigned as secretary-general of his party.
- Iraq: Saudi policies feeding regional tensions Press TV 27 Dec 2016 -- Baghdad has warned Riyadh over its trouble making regional policies, stressing that it will not permit such interference in Iraq.
- China Stresses Peaceful, Open Cyberspace in New Security Strategy Sputnik 27 Dec 2016 -- The Cyberspace Administration of China released a new cyberspace security strategy, which emphasizes peace, protection and cooperation, Chinese media reported Tuesday.
- Pilot jailed in Russia begins movement for change in Ukraine Press TV 27 Dec 2016 -- Nadiya Savchenko, the popular female Ukrainian pilot who served for a while in Russia's jails, has launched a movement opposing Ukraine's pro-Western government.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|