25 December 2016 Military News
- Strikes Continue Against ISIL Terrorists in Syria, Iraq AFPS 25 Dec 2016 -- U.S. and coalition military forces continued to attack Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant terrorists in Syria and Iraq yesterday, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials reported today.
- Officials Count Around 30,000 War Dead in Afghanistan This Year VOA 25 Dec 2016 -- Hostilities in Afghanistan have left around 30,000 people dead and as many wounded, mostly insurgents, according to the latest official estimates.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Statement from Secretary of Defense Ash Carter on the U.S.-Japan Agreement in Principle for DoD Civilian Component in Japan DoD 25 Dec 2016
- No Survivors From Russian Military Plane Crash in Black Sea VOA 25 Dec 2016 -- Thousands of search and rescue workers from across Russia, including more than 100 Navy divers, converged on the Black Sea port of Sochi Sunday, searching for clues to the crash of a military plane that plunged into the sea with 92 people on board.
- Russia confirms its TU-154 aircraft crashed in mountains IRNA 25 Dec 2016 -- The Russian aircraft TU-154, which had disappeared from radar shortly after take off in Sochi Sunday, has crashed in the mountains in Krasnodar Territory in the south of the country, a source in local security services told RIA Novosti Sunday.
- Russia military plane crashes in Black Sea, all on board presumed dead Press TV 25 Dec 2016 -- The Russian Defense Ministry says a military aircraft has crashed over the Black Sea, with all the 92 people on board presumed dead.
- Russia Holds Day Of Mourning After 92 Killed In Plane Crash, Putin Orders Probe RFE/RL 25 Dec 2016 -- Russian President Vladimir Putin has declared that December 26 will be a national day of mourning after a Russian military plane crashed in the Black Sea, killing all 92 people on board.
- Russian MoD's Plane Reportedly Disappears From Radars After Takeoff in Sochi Sputnik 25 Dec 2016 -- Russian Defense Ministry's Tu-154 carrying some 91 people has disappeared from radars after departing from Russia's southern city of Sochi, a source in the country's Emergency Ministry told RIA Novosti.
- Borei-Class Submarines: Principal Component of Russia's Nuclear Triad Sputnik 25 Dec 2016 -- On Thursday, during a major year-end press-conference Russian President Vladimir Putin underscored the importance of Russia's military modernization program.
- Decommissioning of Tu-154 Aircraft Would Be Premature - Industry Minister Sputnik 25 Dec 2016 -- It would be premature to decommission the Tu-154 aircraft, Russian Industry and Trade Minister Denis Manturov said Sunday, in the wake of a plane crash over the Black Sea.
- Warsaw, Washington Sign Agreement on Missiles Delivery to Poland Sputnik 25 Dec 2016 -- Warsaw and Washington signed deal on supplying Poland with Joint Air-to-Surface Standoff Missile-Extended Range (JASSM ER), designed to destroy hostile air defenses before aircraft are within range, Polish Defense Ministry said.
- Japan Spots Chinese Aircraft Carrier Passage in East China Sea - Reports Sputnik 25 Dec 2016 -- Japan's Maritime Self-Defense Force caught sight of the Chinese aircraft carrier Liaoning passage in the East China sea for the first time, local media reported on Sunday, citing the Defense Ministry officials.
- China to conduct drill in Western Pacific, aircraft carrier to partake Press TV 25 Dec 2016 -- China will be conducting an open-sea training drill, involving its first aircraft carrier, in the Western Pacific, the Chinese military has announced.
- China's Liaoning Carrier Group Conducts Military Tests in Yellow Sea Sputnik 25 Dec 2016 -- China's first aircraft carrier group conducted a series of military tests in the Yellow Sea December 24, ahead of scheduled testing farther away later, its military reported.
- China aircraft carrier's planned drill warning for Taiwan CNA 25 Dec 2016 -- China's reported plan to sail its first aircraft carrier, the Liaoning, through the first island chain toward the Western Pacific should serve as a warning for Taiwan and the United States, according to a Hong Kong military commentator.
- Iran to launch new military drill on Monday IRNA 25 Dec 2016 -- Iran's 3-day joint and massive air defense drill called 'Modafe'an-e Aseman-e Velayat 7' is scheduled to start work on Monday in South of country.
- Iran Army to hold major air defense maneuvers: Commander Press TV 25 Dec 2016 -- The Iranian Air Defense Force will stage massive five-day military exercises in southern parts of the country to display its might and boost its integrity and cohesiveness, a senior Iranian commander says.
- Pakistani Defense Minister Appears To Threaten Israel With 'Nuclear Retaliation RFE/RL 25 Dec 2016 -- Pakistani Defense Minister Khawaja Asif appeared to threaten Israel with "nuclear retaliation," apparently responding to a story by a news site known to publish fake news.
- Russia Grounds Sukhoi Superjet 100 Fleet RFE/RL 25 Dec 2016 -- Russian aviation authorities have grounded the country's fleet of its newest civilian airliner, the Sukhoi Superjet 100.
- Arab world welcomes UNSC resolution against Israeli settlements People's Daily 25 Dec 2016 -- The Arab world received Friday's endorsed United Nations Security Council (UNSC) resolution demanding immediate and complete halt of Israeli settlement activities on occupied Palestinian territories.
- Israeli PM slams Obama over UN vote on settlements People's Daily 25 Dec 2016 -- Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu lashed at the Obama administration on Saturday, after a U.S. abstention in a UN vote that passed a resolution demanding an end to Israeli settlement construction.
- Angered by UN resolution, Israel says will build thousands more settler units Press TV 25 Dec 2016 -- Israel plans to construct thousands more illegal settler units on occupied Palestinian territory in flagrant defiance of a recent UN Security Council resolution, which decried the Tel Aviv regime's policy of settlement expansion and demanding the halt of such activities.
- Sen. Graham threatens to defund UN after Israeli settlement vote Press TV 25 Dec 2016 -- A US senator has threatened to introduce a measure in Congress to pull US funding for the United Nations until the Security Council repeals a resolution it passed condemning Israeli settlement construction as illegal.
- Netanyahu slams Obama over UN vote against Israel Press TV 25 Dec 2016 -- Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has condemned outgoing US President Barack Obama and said he is looking forward to working with President-elect Donald Trump after the US allowed the UN Security Council to adopt a resolution against illegal Israeli settlements.
- Angered by UN vote, Israel threatens annexation of Palestinian land Press TV 25 Dec 2016 -- Israel has threatened to annex the Palestinian properties on which it has built settlement blocs after the UN Security Council approved a resolution denouncing the structures as illegal.
- Israel May Bring Controversial Settlement Bill to Early Vote; PM Asks for Calm Sputnik 25 Dec 2016 -- Israel continues to respond to the UN Security Council resolution demanding it stop building settlements in occupied Palestinian territories with a mix of defiance and conciliation.
- Netanyahu Summons US Envoy After UNSC Vote on Israeli Settlements Resolution Sputnik 25 Dec 2016 -- Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has summoned US Ambassador Dan Shapiro in connection with the UNSC resolution which condemns Israeli settlements in the West Bank, an Israeli government source told RIA Novosti.
- Trump Claims UNSC Anti-Israel Resolution Will Inhibit Middle East Settlement Sputnik 25 Dec 2016 -- Adoption of the UN Security Council's resolution, condemning Israeli settlements in the West Bank will make it more difficult to negotiate establishing peace in the Middle East, US President-elect Donald Trump said Sunday.
- Netanyahu: Israel Will Review Relations With UN After Resolution on Settlements Sputnik 25 Dec 2016 -- Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu ordered the state's Foreign Ministry to review the UN-Israel relationship, including the issues related to Israeli contributions to UN budget and the presence of the organization's representatives in the state after the adoption of the anti-Israel UN Security Council's resolution.
- Angry Israeli PM Summons US Ambassador Over UN Vote VOA 25 Dec 2016 -- An angry Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu summoned U.S. Ambassador Daniel Shapiro Sunday to talk about the U.S. abstention in a U.N. Security Council resolution opposing Jewish settlements.
- Yemeni army snipers shoot dead six Saudi soldiers Press TV 25 Dec 2016 -- Yemeni army snipers have shot dead six Saudi soldiers in the kingdom's Najran Province in a fresh wave of retaliatory attacks.
- Turkey deploys more weaponry to Syria border Press TV 25 Dec 2016 -- Turkey has deployed more tanks and artillery along the border with Syria as Ankara struggles to win a battle against Daesh militants in the Syrian town of al-Bab.
- Syrian army kills dozens of Daesh terrorists east of Aleppo Press TV 25 Dec 2016 -- The Syrian army has killed dozens of terrorists in military operations against the Takfiri Daesh terrorist group to the east of the recently-liberated city of Aleppo.
- Russia, Turkey Fulfill Commitments on Syrian Ceasefire - Turkish FM Sputnik 25 Dec 2016 -- According to the Turkish foreign minister, Russia and Turkey have fulfilled their obligations concerning the Syria truce.
- Terrorism claimed over 12,000 lives in Iraq in 2016: UN Press TV 25 Dec 2016 -- The United Nations says more than 12,000 people have lost their lives in acts of terrorism, violence and armed conflict in Iraq so far this year as government forces and allied fighters battle to drive the Daesh Takfiri militants out of the country.
- Multiple bombings kill 11 in, around Iraq's capital Press TV 25 Dec 2016 -- Eleven people have been killed and over 30 others injured in a series of bomb attacks that ripped through commercial areas in and around the Iraqi capital, Baghdad.
- Iraqi Shiite Militia Eliminates Almost 300 Daesh Militants Southwest of Mosul Sputnik 25 Dec 2016 -- Hashd al-Shaabi, the Iraqi Popular Mobilization Forces (PMF) Shiite militia, killed nearly 300 Daesh militants southwest of the city of Mosul, media reported Sunday, citing a PMF source.
- Ukrainian Army, Separatists Trade Accusations Of Cease-Fire Violations RFE/RL 25 Dec 2016 -- The Ukrainian army and Russia-backed separatists in eastern Ukraine have accused each other of violating a cease-fire that took effect just a day ago.
- Tunisian police warn of Takfiris' return from Iraq, Syria Press TV 25 Dec 2016 -- Tunisian security authorities have warned of the return of thousands of Takfiri militants fighting for terrorist groups in Iraq and neighboring Syria to the small Mediterranean country, demanding "exceptional measures" to combat the phenomenon.
- 8 new aircraft to be delivered to Iran within three months IRNA 25 Dec 2016 -- Eight new passenger planes are to be delivered to the Airline of the Islamic Republic of Iran (Iran Air) by the end of the Iranian calendar year (March 20, 2017) Deputy Minister of Roads and Urban Development for International Affairs Asghar Fakhriyeh-Kashan has announced.
- Iran Says It Will Pay Half Price For Boeing Planes RFE/RL 25 Dec 2016 -- Iran has said it will only pay half of the price announced for 80 new planes from U.S. firm Boeing.
- Work Starts On First China-Russia Highway Bridge RFE/RL 25 Dec 2016 -- Chinese state media are reporting that construction of the first China-Russia highway bridge across the Amur River began on December 24, more than 28 years after it was first proposed and more than a year after an agreement on the project was reached.
- Dozens Killed as Political Tensions Rise in DRC VOA 25 Dec 2016 -- Dozens of civilians have been killed in the Democratic Republic of Congo over the weekend, stoking concerns about political instability.
- At least 34 people killed over weekend in DR Congo Press TV 25 Dec 2016 -- At least 34 people have been killed over the weekend in eastern Democratic Republic of Congo.
- Philippines' Duterte threatens to 'burn down' UN Press TV 25 Dec 2016 -- Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte, known for his colorful rhetoric, has threatened to "burn down" the United Nations headquarters in New York over mounting international criticism of his crackdown on suspected drug dealers.
- Venezuela opposition shuns talks with government Press TV 25 Dec 2016 -- The Venezuelan opposition has rejected the resumption of Vatican-backed talks with the government next month.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|