20 December 2016 Military News
- Counter-ISIL Strikes Continue Against Terrorists in Syria, Iraq AFPS 20 Dec 2016 -- U.S. and coalition military forces continued to attack Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant terrorists in Iraq yesterday, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials reported today.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Two Army Guard division headquarters deployed simultaneously; first time since Korean War Army News 20 Dec 2016 -- More than 450 Soldiers of the 29th Infantry Division headquarters deployed this month, making them the second of two Army National Guard division headquarters currently deployed to a forward location, the first time since the Korean War two Army Guard division headquarters have been forward deployed simultaneously.
- CNO Visits GHWB During COMPTUEX NNS 20 Dec 2016 -- The Chief of Naval Operations (CNO) Adm. John Richardson visited the aircraft carrier USS George H.W. Bush (CVN 77), Dec. 13-14.
- USS Dwight D. Eisenhower Arrives in Marseille NNS 20 Dec 2016 -- MARSEILLE, France - The Nimitz-class aircraft carrier USS Dwight D. Eisenhower (CVN 69) (Ike) arrived in Marseille, France, for a scheduled port visit Dec. 16, 2016 to enhance U.S.-France relations as the two nations work together for a stable, secure and prosperous Europe.
- Iran, Iraq stage joint navy drills in Persian Gulf IRNA 20 Dec 2016 -- Iran and Iraq have staged naval maneuvers in the Persian Gulf, according to a statement by Iraqi Defense Ministry.
- Iran, Iraq hold joint military drill in Persian Gulf Press TV 20 Dec 2016 -- Iran and Iraq have held a joint military exercise at the mouth of the Persian Gulf in order to step up their readiness.
- Taiwan has full grasp of China's military movements: official CNA 20 Dec 2016 -- The Ministry of National Defense (MND) has a full grasp of China's military activity, has made proper preparations, and has complete response measures in place, a Presidential Office spokesman said Tuesday.
- December 20, 2016 - U.S. Department of State Daily Press Briefing US Dept. of State 20 Dec 2016
- 20 December 2016 - Daily Press Briefing by the Office of the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General United Nations 20 Dec 2016
- Russia drafting document to resolve Syria conflict, hopes for regional support Press TV 20 Dec 2016 -- Russia says it is drawing up a declaration document that stipulates a roadmap for ending the nearly six years of foreign-sponsored militancy gripping Syria, expressing hope that the text will gain support from Iran and Turkey.
- Iranian Security Chief Reveals Iran, Russia Sharing Military Base In Syria RFE/RL 20 Dec 2016 -- A top Iranian security official has revealed that Iran and Russia are sharing a military base in Syria where they are coordinating their support for Syrian President Bashar al-Assad's regime.
- Russia, Iran, And Turkey Agree To Work Toward Syria Accord, Serve As 'Guarantors' RFE/RL 20 Dec 2016 -- Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov says Russia, Iran, and Turkey have agreed to work with Syrian combatants toward drafting a peace deal and to act as "guarantors" of any future settlement between Syria's government and rebel fighters.
- As evacuations resume in Aleppo, UN prepares to redeploy staff to monitor process UN News 20 Dec 2016 -- As the Syrian Arab Red Crescent and the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) resumed this morning evacuations from besieged neighbourhoods in eastern Aleppo, the United Nations reported that it has received authorization to send 20 international and national staff to the city to play a critical role in the monitoring and the response.
- Russian hacking serious issue but no select committee needed to probe it: McConnell Press TV 20 Dec 2016 -- US Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell has said there is no need to form a Senate select committee to investigate the alleged Russian meddling in the 2016 US presidential election.
- Republican Senate Leader Rebuffs Call For Special Russian Hacking Probe RFE/RL 20 Dec 2016 -- The top Republican in the U.S. Senate has again rejected calls for a special congressional committee to investigate alleged Russian computer hacking during the U.S. presidential election.
- Russian Envoy To Turkey Assassinated; Putin Calls Act 'Provocation' RFE/RL 20 Dec 2016 -- A gunman shot Russia's ambassador to Turkey as he was giving a speech at an art gallery in Ankara, yelling "Don't forget Aleppo!" Russia's Foreign Ministry said the diplomat later died of his wounds.
- U.S. Adds More Russians To Sanctions List, Including 'Putin's Chef' RFE/RL 20 Dec 2016 -- The United States has levied new sanctions against more Russians for Moscow's actions in Ukraine, hitting well-connected insiders, including the man known as Russian President Vladimir Putin's chef.
- Islamic State Claims Responsibility For Deadly Truck Rampage In Berlin RFE/RL 20 Dec 2016 -- A website linked to the so-called Islamic State (IS) has claimed that the extremist group was responsible for a December 19 attack in Berlin, where a man drove a truck through a crowded Christmas market, killing 12 people and wounding 50.
- Berlin Police Call Christmas Market Deaths Probable 'Terrorist Attack' RFE/RL 20 Dec 2016 -- Berlin police say a truck plowed into a crowded Christmas market in Berlin while people were celebrating the holidays on the evening of December 19, killing at least 12 people and injuring dozens in a probable "terrorist attack."
- At Security Council, UN chief underlines need to tackle root causes of human trafficking UN News 20 Dec 2016 -- Highlighting the plight of victims of human trafficking, United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon underlined today the need to ensure justice for victims and accountability for perpetrators, as well as to address underlying factors by focusing on human rights and stability.
- Nine killed amid violence in DR Congo's capital Press TV 20 Dec 2016 -- Nine protesters have reportedly been killed in clashes in the Democratic Republic of the Congo's capital, Kinshasa, amid rising tensions over the refusal of President Joseph Kabila to quit after the expiration of his term in office.
- DR Congo opposition calls on people to challenge President Kabila's authority Press TV 20 Dec 2016 -- The main opposition party in the Democratic Republic of the Congo has called on the people to no longer recognize Joseph Kabila as president, urging them to resist peacefully against him.
- DR Congo: UN envoy voices concern over wave of ongoing arrests and detentions UN News 20 Dec 2016 -- The United Nations envoy for the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) expressed grave concern today over the wave of arrests and arbitrary detention "of those who seek to express their political views" in the country over the past three days, and reiterated the necessity for all Congolese authorities to respect the rules of the country and ensure protection of free speech.
- Joint Statement by Heads of Mission in Kenya on International Support for Kenya's 2017 Elections US Dept. of State 20 Dec 2016 -- "As long-time partners, our countries support the Kenyan government and people as they seek to realize the goals of the 2010 Constitution and Kenya's Vision 2030. We are committed to helping Kenya to hold free, fair, credible, and peaceful elections in 2017, and to provide non-partisan technical assistance to government institutions and civil society."
- UN rights chief calls for murder investigation after Philippine President admits to killing three people UN News 20 Dec 2016 -- Stressing that the killing of "about three" people, which the President of the Philippines admitted to personally committing, while serving as the Mayor of the city of Davao clearly constituted murder, the United Nations human rights chief called on the judicial authorities in the country to uphold the rule of law and investigate the self-professed crimes.
- Venezuela reopens Colombia border ahead of schedule Press TV 20 Dec 2016 -- Venezuela has started to reopen its border with Colombia, days ahead of schedule as people on both sides of the frontier continued to defy the closure.
- Gunmen kill four policeman in Jordan's Karak Press TV 20 Dec 2016 -- Gunmen have killed at least four policemen during fierce clashes with security forces in the southern Jordanian city of Karak.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|