29 November 2016 Military News
- OIF / OND / OEF / OIR / OFS Casualty Update 29 Nov 2016 [PDF]
- Department of Defense Press Briefing by Pentagon Press Secretary Peter Cook in the Pentagon Briefing Room DoD 29 Nov 2016 -- Presenter: Pentagon Press Secretary Peter Cook
- Counter-ISIL Strikes Hit Terrorists in Syria, Iraq AFPS 29 Nov 2016 -- U.S. and coalition military forces continued to attack Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant terrorists in Syria and Iraq yesterday, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials reported today.
- U.S. Air Forces Central Command Completes Dayr Az Zawr Investigation AFPS 29 Nov 2016 -- Coalition airstrikes that on Sept. 17 mistakenly hit forces aligned with the Syrian regime were conducted by those who believed they were targeting members of the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant, the lead investigating officer said here today.
- Strike on Syrian Army Result of 'Unintentional, Regrettable Error' - Pentagon Sputnik 29 Nov 2016 -- The Pentagon said that the US-led coalition's forces struck the Syrian army in Deir ez-Zor as a result of an "unintentional, regrettable error."
- US-led Coalition Blames Human Error in Strike on Syria-aligned Forces VOA 29 Nov 2016 -- A U.S. military general blamed human error for the deadly coalition airstrike in September that killed Syrian government-aligned forces near Deir Ezzor.
- A Painful Reminder That U.S. Fighting A War In Syria RFE/RL 29 Nov 2016 -- On the afternoon of August 31, 2013, French Rafale fighter jets bristled on their runways, readied for war. As far as French President Francois Hollande was concerned, D-Day had arrived; at 3 a.m. his planes would begin air strikes against missile batteries and command centers of the Syrian Army's 4th Armored Division - the Syrian military's most trusted military unit, and the one in charge of chemical weapons.
- Senior Afghan army general killed in helicopter crash Press TV 29 Nov 2016 -- A helicopter crash in western Afghanistan has left a top army general killed and at least ten other people injured.
- Top Afghan Army General Killed In Helicopter Crash RFE/RL 29 Nov 2016 -- A top general in the Afghan National Army has been killed, and at least seven other officials have been injured in a military helicopter crash, in Afghanistan's northwestern province of Badghis.
- Taliban pledges to protect infrastructural projects in Afghanistan Press TV 29 Nov 2016 -- The Taliban militant group has pledged to protect Afghanistan's infrastructural projects worth billions of dollars that have been stalled for years due to the ongoing militancy across the war-ravaged country.
- India Considers More Active Military Role in Afghanistan Sputnik 29 Nov 2016 -- India has assessed requirement of spare parts to restore dozens of Russian made military helicopters and transport aircraft. India remains non-committal to supply military spare parts to Afghanistan despite having unique agreement with Russia since year 2014.
- Total of 1 Mln People Internally Displaced in Afghanistan in 2016 Sputnik 29 Nov 2016 -- One million Afghan people are internally displaced as of late November 2016, the World Food Programme (WFP) said in a report on Monday.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Air Force Not Able to Fly Enough Flights to Train Pilots VOA 29 Nov 2016 -- As the U.S. military continues to rely heavily on air power in its combat missions abroad, a shortage of maintainers needed to keep Air Force planes flying is preventing the force from completing its training mission.
- F-35 begins integrated training with F-16 at Luke AFNS 29 Nov 2016 -- In October, pilots of the 56th Fighter Wing began flying integrated direct support practice sorties in the F-35A Lightning II and the F-16 Fighting Falcon for the first time as a regular component of the training curriculum at Luke Air Force Base.
- Stratcom Deputy Highlights Progress in Electromagnetic Spectrum Operations AFPS 29 Nov 2016 -- The U.S. Strategic Command deputy chief outlined the Defense Department's strides in broadening access and control in asymmetric warfare during his remarks today at the 53rd Annual Association of Old Crows International Symposium and Convention here.
- US F-35 Fighter Jets Face off Against Older F-16 Aircraft in Mock Dog Fights Sputnik 29 Nov 2016 -- The fifth generation US F-35 joint strike fighter and older fourth generation F-16 aircraft have begun integrated for training missions that likely include mock dog-fights, the US Air Force announced in a press release on Tuesday.
- Carter Sends Congress Memo Calling for Quick Budget Action AFPS 29 Nov 2016 -- In a memo sent to Congress today, Defense Secretary Ash Carter urged legislators to pass the Defense Department's budget as quickly as possible and to avoid extending the continuing resolution, Pentagon spokesman Peter Cook said here today.
- Pacom Chief Praises Stronger Indo-Asia-Pacific Maritime Partnerships AFPS 29 Nov 2016 -- As U.S. forces strengthen ties in the Indo-Asia-Pacific region, the island nation of Sri Lanka has emerged as a significant contributor to regional stability and security, U.S. Pacific Command's commander said yesterday at the Galle Dialogue 2016 conference in Sri Lanka's capital city of Colombo.
- Mason, Charles De Gaulle Strike Group Leaders Meet in Eastern Mediterranean NNS 29 Nov 2016 -- Leadership from guided-missile destroyer USS Mason (DDG 87) and French officials from the Charles de Gaulle Strike Group (CDGSG) met while operating together in the Eastern Mediterranean Sea, Nov. 25.
- USS Hopper, USS Monterey Aid Distressed Iranian Mariners NNS 29 Nov 2016 -- Guided-missile destroyer USS Hopper (DDG 70) and guided-missile cruiser USS Monterey (CG 61), currently deployed to the Arabian Gulf in support of maritime security operations, aided five Iranian mariners in distress, Nov. 29.
- Power Savings: ONR Research Helps Navy Curb Kilowatts NNS 29 Nov 2016 -- With Office of Naval Research support, Massachusetts Institute of Technology engineers have designed a portable measurement system to precisely and cheaply monitor the amount of electricity used by individual household appliances, lighting fixtures, and electronic devices.
- NATO Deputy Secretary General: Defence and dialogue go hand in hand NATO 29 Nov 2016 -- NATO Deputy Secretary General Rose Gottemoeller stressed the importance of building confidence with Russia at the Berlin Policy Forum in Germany on Tuesday (29 November 2016). Participating in a panel discussion on 'Russia and Europe: Between Confrontation, Coexistence and Cooperation', Ms. Gottemoeller outlined the Alliance's dual-track approach of strong defence and dialogue with Russia.
- Joint press point with NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg and the Prime Minister of the Republic of Moldova, Pavel Filip NATO 29 Nov 2016
- NATO Drills in Georgia Negatively Affect Regional Safety - Foreign Ministry Sputnik 29 Nov 2016 -- NATO military exercises in Georgia destabilize safety in the region and prevent ensuring peace, Russian Foreign Ministry said Tuesday.
- Italy to Respond to Russia's Presence in the Mediterranean With Naval Reform Sputnik 29 Nov 2016 -- In response to tensions in the Mediterranean Sea and the mounting presence of the Russian Navy in the region, Italy will spend in the coming years €5.4 billion ($5.7 billion) to upgrade its naval forces.
- Russia Naval Aviation to Receive 8 Modernized Ka-27M Helicopters in December Sputnik 29 Nov 2016 -- The Russian Naval Aviation will receive first eight modernized Ka-27M anti-submarine helicopters in December, navy spokesman Capt. 1st Rank Igor Dygalo said Tuesday.
- Russian Defense Ministry Receives 5 Regimental Sets of S-400 Systems in 2016 Sputnik 29 Nov 2016 -- The Russian Defense Ministry has received five regimental sets of long-range S-400 Triumf air defense system over the past year under a state defense contract, Russia's Almaz-Antey concern said Tuesday.
- Parker Review: Blueprint for a strong naval shipbuilding sector UK MOD 29 Nov 2016-- Sir John Parker's Independent Report into naval shipbuilding sets out far-reaching recommendations to transform the UK shipbuilding industry
- Navy unveils latest products, achievements IRNA 29 Nov 2016 -- The Iranian Navy displayed its latest weaponry and military products and achievements in the annual Army Day in the presence of Deputy Commander of the Iranian Army Brigadier General Abdolrahim Mousavi in Tehran on Tuesday.
- Iran Navy unveils new achievements Press TV 29 Nov 2016 -- Iran's Navy has unveiled new technological achievements in the areas of naval defense, including advanced radar systems and defensive weapons.
- Iranian Navy Showcases New Fire-Control Systems, Simulators Sputnik 29 Nov 2016 -- The Iranian Navy unveiled new simulation systems for training of personnel and a plan for production of Mark 46 torpedo components, Iranian media reported Tuesday.
- IRGC dismisses new US propaganda about targetting US chopper by Iran warship IRNA 29 Nov 2016 -- The Islamic Revolution Guards Corps Navy on Tuesday dismissed US propaganda about targetting US chopper by Iranian warship saying that Strait of Hormuz is open for free navigation and that presence of the US forces in the Persian Gulf created nuisance.
- US' unprofessional presence main problem in Persian Gulf: IRGC Press TV 29 Nov 2016 -- The presence of US forces is the main problem currently facing the Persian Gulf, an informed source at the Islamic Revolution Guards Corps (IRGC) Navy says.
- Iran Calls US Military in Persian Gulf 'Main Problem' After Helicopter Incident Sputnik 29 Nov 2016 -- The Iranian military contends the US military presence in the Persian Gulf is opening up the potential for conflict in the region, after an Iranian vessel pointed a weapon at a Navy helicopter over the weekend.
- Iran Ready to Allow Russian Jets to Use Hamadan Base for 'Takeoff and Refueling' Sputnik 29 Nov 2016 -- Last week, Iranian Defense Minister Hossein Dehghan said that Tehran could allow Russia's use of the Noje Airbase in Hamadan for the aerial campaign against terrorists in Syria if the situation demanded it.
- Expert: Chinese Air Force capable of simultaneous combat on different fronts People's Daily 29 Nov 2016 -- Aircraft from the Chinese Air Force flew over the Bashi Channel and Miyako Strait on Nov. 25 during a West Pacific drill.
- Eyes in the Sky: Singapore Launches Enormous Military Spy Aerostat Sputnik 29 Nov 2016 -- Singapore has begun test-launching a 55 m tethered aerostat radar system, a move the nation thinks will strengthen its maritime and aerial surveillance capacities.
- Analysts: China's Seizure of Singaporean Armored Vehicles Will Have Limited Impact VOA 29 Nov 2016 -- Singapore has found itself caught in China's crosshairs after its shipment of nine armored troop carriers was impounded last week in Hong Kong. The dispute has taken on a political tone with Chinese state media even suggesting the vehicles, which were used in a routine drill in Taiwan, should be melted down.
- Pakistan's New Army Chief Takes Over Amid Challenges VOA 29 Nov 2016 -- In a ceremony full of pomp and show, with military drummers banging away in their multi-colored uniforms and heavily starched turbans, Pakistan's army chief handed over the command of the world's sixth largest army to his successor, General Qamar Javed Bajwa.
- Latin American States Show Interest in Acquiring Russian Patrol Boats, Frigates Sputnik 29 Nov 2016 -- Latin American countries are interested in Russian patrol boats and frigates of the Mangust, Mirage, Svetlyak and Gepard classes, the Russian Federal Service For Military-Technical Cooperation (FSMTC) said Tuesday.
- Taiwan holds rescue drill off Taiping Island in South China Sea CNA 29 Nov 2016 -- Taiwan staged a cross-agency humanitarian rescue drill in waters around Taiping Island in the South China Sea Tuesday, the first of its kind since President Tsai Ing-wen (蔡英文) spoke of her government's intention to turn the island into a base for humanitarian assistance.
- Turkey Developing National Military, Passenger Aircraft Sputnik 29 Nov 2016 -- Turkey is developing a military aircraft and a passenger airliner, Turkey's Science, Industry and Technology Minister Faruk Ozlu said on Tuesday, adding that the country is also engaged in satellite development.
- November 29, 2016 - U.S. Department of State Daily Press Briefing US Dept. of State 29 Nov 2016
- Press Briefing by Press Secretary Josh Earnest, 11/29/16 The White House 29 Nov 2016
- 29 November 2016 - Daily Press Briefing by the Office of the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General United Nations 29 Nov 2016
- Fleeing violence in Horn of Africa, asylum-seekers find little safety in Yemen - UN refugee agency UN News 29 Nov 2016 -- Highlighting a dramatic increase in sea crossings by migrants and refugees from the Horn of Africa to Yemen – which itself is reeling under a deteriorating humanitarian crisis, the United Nations refugee agency today called for urgent steps to deter and save people from the deadly risks they are taking.
- Refugees, Migrants from Horn of Africa Flee to War-Torn Yemen VOA 29 Nov 2016 -- The U.N. refugee agency reports thousands of refugees from the Horn of Africa, desperate to escape difficult conditions at home, continue to make the perilous journey across the Gulf of Aden to war-torn Yemen, despite the risks. At least 79 people have been reported dead or missing at sea this year.
- Hundreds of militants leave besieged Damascus suburb of Khan al-Shih Press TV 29 Nov 2016 -- Hundreds of militants have left a besieged suburb of the Syrian capital, Damascus, under a deal with government forces.
- 16,000 people flee militant-held eastern Aleppo, UN says Press TV 29 Nov 2016 -- Up to 16,000 civilians have fled the militant-held parts of eastern Aleppo amid the Syrian army's recent advances, the United Nations says.
- Syria retakes half of militant-held areas in Aleppo: Russia Press TV 29 Nov 2016 -- Russia says the Syrian army has recently reestablished control over half of the areas that had been under the control of militants in the east of the city of Aleppo.
- Russia Not to Support UK-French Draft Resolution on Chemical Weapons Sanctions Sputnik 29 Nov 2016 -- Russian Envoy to the UN Vitaly Churkin said that Moscow will not support the draft resolution on chemical weapons sanctions that the United Kingdom and France plan to introduce at the UN Security Council because of the lack of evidence.
- Pentagon Says No Plans to Identify Daesh Targets With Russia Sputnik 29 Nov 2016 -- US Department of Defense spokesman Peter Cook said that the United States has no plans to work with Russia to identify Daesh targets.
- Syrian Army Prevents Major Terrorist Attack in Christian District of Aleppo Sputnik 29 Nov 2016 -- The Syrian army forces on Tuesday managed to prevent a major terrorist attack in the residential areas of Aleppo, plotted by Jabhat Fatah al-Sham militants, media reported.
- Erdogan Says Turkey's Op in Syria Aimed to 'Put an End to the Rule' of Assad Sputnik 29 Nov 2016 -- The Turkish armed forces' military operation in Syria is aimed to put an end to the rule of Syrian President Bashar Assad, Turkish President Tayyip Erdogan said Tuesday.
- Putin Orders Sending Mobile Hospitals to Assist Residents of Syria's Aleppo Sputnik 29 Nov 2016 -- Russian President Vladimir Putin has ordered sending mobile field hospitals to Aleppo in order to provide immediate medical assistance, Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov said Tuesday.
- East Aleppo Populated by 90,000 Fully Liberated From Terrorists - Russian MoD Sputnik 29 Nov 2016 -- The territory of east Aleppo where 90,000 residents live was liberated from terrorists on Tuesday, the Russian Defense Ministry said.
- Syria: Amid 'chilling' situation in Aleppo, 16,000 flee intense fighting, UN aid chief warns UN News 29 Nov 2016 -- Citing preliminary reports that that up to 16,000 people have fled fighting in the eastern neighbourhoods of Syria's Aleppo city, the United Nations humanitarian chief today warned that thousands more will have no choice but to flee should the attacks spread and escalate over the coming days.
- Why Hasn't Raqqa Been Attacked Yet? VOA 29 Nov 2016 -- The offensive to re-take Raqqa was heralded as the final nail in Islamic State's coffin.
- UN Syria Envoy Sees Dire Future for Aleppo VOA 29 Nov 2016 -- The United Nations envoy for Syria offered a dire prediction for the future of Aleppo on Tuesday, as fighting in the city continued to intensify and more civilians tried to escape.
- Daesh is collapsing: Iraqi PM Abadi Press TV 29 Nov 2016 -- Iraqi Prime Minister Haider al-Abadi, whose country is engaged in war with Daesh, says the terrorist group is seeing its organization collapse around it.
- Amid battle for Mosul, ISIL forcing civilians 'squarely in harm's way,' UN rights wing warns UN News 29 Nov 2016 -- As the Iraqi military intensifies its operations to wrest Mosul from terrorists, the Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR) today warned that it continues to receive reports of "serious breaches" of international human rights and humanitarian law by the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL/Da'esh) in and around the war-torn city.
- Myanmar: UN rights chief warns of 'spiral of violence' in Rakhine state UN News 29 Nov 2016 -- The Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR) today expressed alarm over reports of serious rights violations in Myanmar's northern Rakhine state that cite allegations of extrajudicial killings, arbitrary arrests and sexual violence, and a renewed spike in hate speech – including on social media.
- Latest Minsk Talks Fail To Reach Breakthrough On Ukraine Conflict RFE/RL 29 Nov 2016 -- Talks in Minsk on resolving the conflict in eastern Ukraine have ended with the foreign ministers of Russia, Ukraine, France, and Germany all saying no new breakthroughs were made.
- Kyiv Says Russia Has At Least 5,000 Troops In Eastern Ukraine RFE/RL 29 Nov 2016 -- Ukraine's Defense Ministry has said Russia has between 5,000 and 7,500 regular military troops inside Ukrainian territory, not counting the annexed Ukrainian region of Crimea.
- Kiev Puts New Restrictions on Airspace Use Around Crimea Sputnik 29 Nov 2016 -- Rosaviatsia said that Kiev has issued new warnings on introducing new restrictions for flights over the Black Sea near the Crimean peninsula without consulting with Moscow.
- UN chief urges immediate halt to Central Africa violence Press TV 29 Nov 2016 -- UN chief Ban Ki-moon has denounced recent bloodshed in the Central African Republic (CAR) where clashes between members of the former Seleka rebellion killed scores of people.
- Ban voices deep concerns over renewed violence in the Central African Republic UN News 29 Nov 2016 -- Expressing deep concerns over last week's renewed violence in the Central African Republic (CAR) that has reportedly claimed dozens of lives and displaced more than 11,000 persons – many civilians – United Nations Secretary-General has called on the armed groups to immediately and to "genuinely" commit to peace.
- Philippine president dismisses Western threats of ICC indictment Press TV 29 Nov 2016 -- Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte has dismissed threats by Western countries to indict him in the International Criminal Court (ICC) for his crackdown on drugs.
- With Burundi at 'dangerous junction,' UN experts call on Government to protect citizens against violence UN News 29 Nov 2016 -- Denouncing reports of open intimidation from armed militia against citizens of Burundi, the United Nations Committee on the Elimination of Racial Discrimination (CERD) has called upon the Government to take immediate effective action to protect its people.
- Attack on Indian Army Camp in Jammu and Kashmir Kills 7 Soldiers, 3 Militants VOA 29 Nov 2016 -- Seven Indian soldiers and three attackers were killed when armed militants stormed an army base in the northern Jammu and Kashmir state early Tuesday.
- Fidel Castro Leaves Complicated Legacy in Africa VOA 29 Nov 2016 -- In Africa, as in Cuba, the late Fidel Castro was both loved and despised.
- As Cuba Mourns, Castro's Ashes Set to Begin Final Journey VOA 29 Nov 2016 -- Cubans have been paying their respects to their late former autocratic leader, Fidel Castro, at Revolution Square in Havana.
- S.Korean president to follow parliamentary decision including shortened presidency People's Daily 29 Nov 2016 -- South Korean President Park Geun-hye said Tuesday that she will follow any parliamentary decision on her fate, including a shortened presidency.
- South Korea president says ready to resign Press TV 29 Nov 2016 -- South Korea's scandal-hit President Park Geun-hye says she is ready to resign, asking parliament to pave the way for a safe transfer of power.
- South Korean President Offers Conditional Resignation VOA 29 Nov 2016 -- Without using the words impeachment or resignation, South Korean President Park Geun-hye on Tuesday expressed her willingness to step down from office in an orderly manner, once and if the National Assembly passes a measure requiring her to do so.
- Iran will increase enrichment to 190k SWU if JCPOA breached: MP Press TV 29 Nov 2016 -- Iran will increase its uranium enrichment capacity if the US renews sanctions against the Islamic Republic and violates the landmark nuclear agreement between Tehran and the P5+1 group of countries, a senior Iranian lawmaker says.
- Iran's options numerous if JCPOA violated: Shamkhani Press TV 29 Nov 2016 -- Iran has multiple options at its disposal in case of any violation of the landmark nuclear agreement signed between Tehran and the group of six countries known as the P5+1, a senior Iranian official says.
- Iran kills Daesh ringleader along border: Intelligence minister Press TV 29 Nov 2016 -- Iran's Intelligence Minister Mahmoud Alavi confirms that a ringleader of the Daesh terrorist group has been killed by Iranian security forces in the country's border areas.
- Prosecutor Tells Iran Lawmaker To Turn Himself In After Flubbed Arrest RFE/RL 29 Nov 2016 -- The chief prosecutor in Tehran says an arrest warrant against a reformist lawmaker who publicly questioned the financial dealings of Iran's chief justice remains legal and valid.
- North Carolina Man Pleads Guilty to Attempting to Commit An Act of Terrorism Transcending National Boundaries US Dept. of Justice 29 Nov 2016-- Justin Nojan Sullivan, 20, of Morganton, North Carolina, appeared in federal court in Asheville, North Carolina today and pleaded guilty to one count of attempting to commit an act of terrorism transcending national boundaries.
- IS Calls Ohio State Attack Suspect 'Soldier of Caliphate' VOA 29 Nov 2016 -- Islamic State has claimed that Abdul Razak Ali Artan, the man who police say carried out a car-and-knife attack Monday at Ohio State University, was a "soldier of the caliphate" who was responding to calls to "target citizens of international coalition countries."
- Taiwan protests Malaysia's sending of 21 fraud suspects to China CNA 29 Nov 2016 -- Taiwan lodged a strong protest with Malaysia Tuesday after it sent 21 Taiwanese telecom fraud suspects to China, saying that the Malaysian move violated the principle of "national jurisdiction."
- Turkey has many options to replace EU: Erdogan Press TV 29 Nov 2016 -- The Turkish president says his country is still hopeful about joining the European Union (EU) despite a recent freeze on its accession talks, stressing, however, that Ankara has many other options at its disposal other than joining the bloc.
- Massive Chernobyl Containment Shield Moved Into Final Position RFE/RL 29 Nov 2016 -- The huge structure that will prevent further leaks of radiation from Ukraine's Chernobyl nuclear power plant has been moved into its final position.
- Thai Crown Prince Vajiralongkorn to be proclaimed as new king People's Daily 29 Nov 2016 -- The Thai parliament said on Tuesday that Crown Prince Maha Vajiralongkorn is to become the king of Thailand and hailed "long live the new king" during a televised meeting.
- Seven Duterte's security personnel injured in southern Philippine ambush People's Daily 29 Nov 2016 -- Seven members of the Philippine Presidential Security Group (PSG) and two soldiers were injured in an ambush Tuesday morning in Marawi City which is due to be visited by President Duterte on Wednesday.
- President Abbas re-elected as head of Palestine's Fatah movement Press TV 29 Nov 2016 -- The Palestinian Fatah movement has re-appointed President Mahmoud Abbas as the head of the political party during a congress in the West Bank city of Ramallah.
- South African President Zuma survives attempt to oust him Press TV 29 Nov 2016 -- South African President Jacob Zuma has reportedly survived an attempt for a no-confidence vote within his own African National Congress (ANC) party.
- Haitians elect businessman Moise as president Press TV 29 Nov 2016 -- People in Haiti have chosen businessman Jovenel Moise as their next president in the first round of the presidential election avoiding the runoff, official early results reveal.
- New Turkmen Railway: First Stop, Aqina, Afghanistan. Next Stop...? RFE/RL 29 Nov 2016 -- The proposed railway line from Turkmenistan to Tajikistan, via Afghanistan, marked a milestone on November 28 when the first station on the Afghan side of the Turkmen border opened.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|