12 November 2016 Military News
- Military Strikes Target ISIL Terrorists in Syria, Iraq AFPS 12 Nov 2016 -- U.S. and coalition military forces continued to attack Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant terrorists in Iraq yesterday, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials reported today.
- 4 Killed in Bagram Airfield Explosion AFPS 12 Nov 2016 -- Defense Secretary Ash Carter said in a statement that he was "deeply saddened" to learn that an explosion at Bagram Airfield in Afghanistan just after 5:30 a.m. local time resulted in U.S. casualties.
- Statement by Secretary Ash Carter on Bagram Airfield Explosion DoD 12 Nov 2016
- 4 killed in blast in U.S. Bagram airbase in Afghanistan People's Daily 12 Nov 2016 -- Four people were killed and 14 others injured in a blast inside Bagram Airfield in Afghanistan's eastern province of Parwan early on Saturday, sources said.
- Taliban Claims Responsibility For Fatal Bagram Attack RFE/RL 12 Nov 2016 -- The Taliban has claimed responsibility for an explosion at the NATO air base at Bagram that killed four and wounded at least 14.
- Suicide Blast at US-Run Bagram Airbase Kills 4 Americans, Wounds 17 VOA 12 Nov 2016 -- A suspected Taliban suicide bomber blew himself up inside the U.S.-military run Bagram airbase in Afghanistan Saturday morning, killing four Americans, and wounding 16 American servicemen and one Polish soldier.
- Afghan Women Take Up Arms Against The Taliban RFE/RL 12 Nov 2016 -- The leader of a fledgling women's militia in northern Afghanistan says dozens of volunteers have joined the fight since a handful of women recently took up arms to rebuff a Taliban attack on their community.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Ronald Reagan Carrier Strike Group Completes Biennial Keen Sword Exercise with JMSDF NNS 12 Nov 2016 -- Directed by the commander of U.S. Forces Japan and the Chief of Staff of the Japan Joint Staff, KS17 is the latest in a series of joint and bilateral field training exercises since 1986 involving U.S. military and Japanese Self Defense Force (JSDF) personnel designed to increase combat readiness and interoperability of the Japan-U.S. alliance.
- Russian warships flotilla arrive off Syria's coast Press TV 12 Nov 2016 -- A fleet of Russian warships has entered the eastern Mediterranean off the coast of Syria amid speculations that Moscow and Damascus are about to launch a massive operation against terrorists in the northern Syrian city of Aleppo.
- Putin Says Russia's Military Not A Threat To Others RFE/RL 12 Nov 2016 -- Russian President Vladimir Putin has said his country's armed forces "are not threatening anyone" but are necessary "to effectively provide for the security of our own country and people."
- China defense minister to pay three-day visit to Iran Press TV 12 Nov 2016 -- China's Defense Minister General Chang Wanquan will pay an official three-day visit to Tehran to hold key talks with senior Iranian officials.
- Japan says China ships sailed in disputed waters Press TV 12 Nov 2016 -- Japan complains that Chinese coast guard vessels have sailed into its territorial waters surrounding a group of disputed islands in the East China Sea for a second time this week.
- 18 Saudis wounded in Yemeni retaliatory attacks Press TV 12 Nov 2016 -- At least 18 Saudis have been injured in attacks launched by Yemeni army forces over the past two days in retaliation for the Saudi regime's deadly aggression.
- US should attack Daesh terrorists, not President Assad: Trump Press TV 12 Nov 2016 -- US President-elect Donald Trump says the United States should fight the Daesh terrorist group, but stop attacking the government of Syrian President Bashar al-Assad.
- Syria liberates Aleppo areas recently seized by militants: Monitor Press TV 12 Nov 2016 -- Syrian troops have retaken all districts which were recently seized by foreign-sponsored terrorists in and around Aleppo during a much-hyped offensive, a London-based monitor says.
- Syrian Army Liberates From Terrorists District in Western Aleppo Sputnik 12 Nov 2016 -- The Syrian government troops jointly with people's militias have retaken the Al-Assad district of western Aleppo which was taken over by terrorists in late October, a source in the Lebanese Hezbollah movement told RIA Novosti.
- New Colombian Peace Deal to Be Signed in Cuba teleSUR 12 Nov 2016 -- The new deal is not expected to be put to a plebiscite but instead will be put to a vote in the congress.
- UN chief welcomes Trump's call for unity after divisive elections People's Daily 12 Nov 2016 -- UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon on Friday welcomed a call from Donald Trump, the U.S. president-elect, for unity after what has been described as a bitter and divisive presidential campaign.
- US security officials 'fearful' of Trump's 'dangerous' policies Press TV 12 Nov 2016 -- US security and intelligence officials are reportedly considering resigning following the victory of Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump, which has raised their concerns about his "dangerous" policies.
- EU Commission President: Trump's Election Poses Risks for EU-US Relationship VOA 12 Nov 2016 -- EU Commission President Jean-Claude Juncker says U.S. President-elect Donald Trump poses risks for the relationship between the European Union and the United States.
- Obama abandons efforts to pass signature Pacific trade deal Press TV 12 Nov 2016 -- The Obama administration is largely suspending efforts to pass a sweeping Pacific trade deal meant to bind the US and Asia after congressional Republicans said they would not advance it in the election's aftermath.
- Peru Suggests Forging Pacific Trade Deal With Russia, China, If U.S. Backs Out RFE/RL 12 Nov 2016 -- Peru's president told Russian Today that Pacific-rim countries should forge a new trade deal with China and Russia if U.S. President-elect Donald Trump, as expected, scraps an agreement reached with President Barack Obama.
- Afghan MPs dismiss 3 ministers, including FM, over budgetary failures Press TV 12 Nov 2016 -- Afghanistan's lower house of parliament, the Wolesti Jirga, has sacked three government ministers, including the foreign minister, citing poor performance and their failure to timely spend allocated budgets.
- Afghan Parliament Unseats Foreign Minister, 2 Other Cabinet Members VOA 12 Nov 2016 -- Afghan President Ashraf Ghani's beleaguered national unity government suffered a major political blow Saturday, when the parliament's majority voted out three key Cabinet members, including the foreign minister.
- Venezuelan govt., opposition resume tense talks to resolve crisis Press TV 12 Nov 2016 -- The Venezuelan government and its opposition rivals have resumed tense, Vatican-backed talks to resolve the stalemate over dealing with the country's economic crisis and food shortages.
- Expectations Low as Venezuela's Government, Opposition Resume Talks VOA 12 Nov 2016 -- Venezuela's government and opposition resumed talks Friday evening aimed at easing a political standoff in the country stricken by a spiraling economic crisis.
- Iran to reciprocate violation of JCPOA by US: Secretary of EC IRNA 12 Nov 2016 -- Iran will reciprocate violation of Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action by US, Secretary of Iran's Expediency Council Mohsen Rezaei said.
- Iran to act on par with US if JCPOA violated: Senior lawmaker Press TV 12 Nov 2016 -- A senior Iranian lawmaker says the Islamic Republic will act on par with the United States in case of any violation in the implementation of last year's nuclear agreement signed between Iran and the P5+1 group of countries.
- Ayatollah Khatami Demands Trump Apologize For Calling Iranians 'Terrorists' RFE/RL 12 Nov 2016 -- Iranian Ayatollah Ahmad Khatami warned U.S. President-elect Donald Trump not to play games with Iran, and said Trump should apologize to the Iranian people for calling them "terrorists" during his campaign.
- Turkish govt. to launch constitutional changes after winning support by nationalists Press TV 12 Nov 2016 -- Turkey's ruling Justice and Development Party (AKP) has received support from an opposition party of nationalists effectively paving the way for a shift toward an executive presidential system.
- China marks 150th anniversary of Sun Yat-sen's birth, stressing national integrity People's Daily 12 Nov 2016 -- respecting the Chinese reality, learning from the outstanding achievements of all cultures and the independent development of the country -- should also be firmly adhered to.
- Huge explosion kills 47 people, injures 110 in Pakistan's Balochistan Press TV 12 Nov 2016 -- At least 47 people, including women and children, have been killed and over 110 others injured in a huge bomb explosion in Pakistan's Balochistan province.
- Dozens Killed In Bomb Blast At Pakistani Sufi Shrine RFE/RL 12 Nov 2016 -- Officials say a bomb exploded at a Sufi shrine in southwestern Pakistan, killing dozens and wounding many more.
- Blast Kills 43 At Crowded Sufi Shrine in Pakistan VOA 12 Nov 2016 -- The so-called Islamic State terrorist group claimed responsibility for Saturday evening's bomb attack on a crowded Sufi shrine in Pakistan's southwestern Baluchistan province that killed at least 43 people and wounded around 100 others.
- Hundreds of thousands of S Koreans demand president ouster Press TV 12 Nov 2016 -- Hundreds of of thousands of protesters in South Korea have taken to the streets of the capital Seoul to demand the ouster of President Park Geun-hye, who is embroiled in a power-peddling scandal.
- Hundreds of Thousands Rally in South Korea, Calling for Park's Ouster VOA 12 Nov 2016 -- Hundreds of thousands of demonstrators gathered at a mass rally in South Korea Saturday to demand the ouster of President Park Geun-hye.
- Russia arrests 10 militants linked to Daesh Press TV 12 Nov 2016 -- Russia's media say the domestic security service has arrested 10 suspected members of a terrorist group who were plotting attacks in the two main cities of Moscow and St. Petersburg.
- China launches Yunhai-1 meteorological satellite People's Daily 12 Nov 2016 -- China sent into space a meteorological satellite, Yunhai-1, at 7:14 a.m. Saturday from Jiuquan Satellite Launch Center in northwestern China's gobi desert.
- China urged not to obstruct Taiwan's international engagements CNA 12 Nov 2016 -- The Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) said Saturday that China should not thwart Taiwan's efforts to participate in international organizations, on the basis of political factors.
- President Tsai vows to lead Taiwan to 'soar on wings' CNA 12 Nov 2016 -- President Tsai Ing-wen (蔡英文) said Saturday that her administration will continue its efforts to make improvements in Taiwan and help the country "soar on wings" like an eagle.
- Ethiopia has arrested over 11k protesters since October: Official Press TV 12 Nov 2016 -- Ethiopian authorities have arrested over 11,000 people since Addis Ababa declared a state of emergency in early October following violent protests. ters surrounding a group of disputed islands in the East China Sea for a second time this week.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|