25 October 2016 Military News
- OIF / OND / OEF / OIR / OFS Casualty Update 25 Oct 2016 [PDF]
- US says Syria, Iraq Campaigns Against IS Will Overlap VOA 25 Oct 2016 -- U.S. Defense Secretary Ash Carter says that even as Iraqi forces advance on Mosul in Iraq, the coalition fighting Islamic State militants is laying the groundwork for another operation against the group, in its stronghold in nearby Raqqa, Syria.
- Counter-ISIL Strikes Target Terrorists in Iraq, Syria AFPS 25 Oct 2016 -- U.S. and coalition military forces continued to attack Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant terrorists in Iraq and Syria yesterday, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials reported today.
- Update: air strikes against Daesh UK MOD 25 Oct 2016 -- British forces have continued to conduct air operations in the fight against Daesh
- Noose Tightening Around ISIL in Mosul, Carter Says AFPS 25 Oct 2016 -- The contributions of coalition partners in the fight against the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant are invaluable, Defense Secretary Ash Carter said today at the opening of the counter-ISIL small group defense ministerial at Hexagone Balard, the new French defense ministry building in Paris.
- US Air Force Downs Daesh Drone With Electronic Weapon Sputnik 25 Oct 2016 -- On Monday a top-ranking US Air Force official announced that a small enemy drone controlled by Daesh had been downed by an electronic weapon. The weaponized unmanned craft responsible for the death of four civilians.
- C-130s fly first mission into renovated airfield in Iraq AFNS 25 Oct 2016 -- The 737th Expeditionary Airlift Squadron flew two C-130J Super Hercules into Qayyarah West Airfield, Iraq, Oct. 21, the first coalition aircraft to land on the airfield since the start of Operation Inherent Resolve.
- US Conducts Four Airstrikes Against Daesh Positions in Libya's Sirte Sputnik 25 Oct 2016 -- US air forces hit five Daesh fighting positions near the Libyan city of Sirte, according to US Africa Command (AFRICOM).
Defense Policy / Programs
- Joint Press Conference by Secretary Carter and Minister Le Drian in Paris, France DoD 25 Oct 2016 -- Presenter: Secretary of Defense Ash Carter; French Defense Minister Jean-Yves Le Drian
- Boom operators help develop new KC-46 system AFNS 25 Oct 2016 -- Earlier this year in Everett, Washington, workers from Detachment 1, 418th Flight Test Squadron, and Boeing teamed up to achieve major test milestones for the KC-46A Pegasus, which resulted in the Defense Department authorizing initial production in August.
- Columbia Visits Yokosuka During Indo-Asia-Pacific Deployment NNS 25 Oct 2016 -- Los Angeles-class attack submarine USS Columbia (SSN 771) arrived at Fleet Activities Yokosuka for a routine port visit as part of its deployment to the Indo-Asia-Pacific region, Oct. 25.
- USS Carney Enters Black Sea NNS 25 Oct 2016 -- Guided-missile destroyer USS Carney (DDG 64) entered the Black Sea, Oct. 24, to conduct maritime security operations and enhance capability and interoperability with allies and partners in the region.
- USS Key West Returns from National Tasking NNS 25 Oct 2016 -- Los Angeles-class attack submarine USS Key West (SSN 722) returned to its homeport of Apra Harbor, Guam, Oct. 25, following a 4 1/2-month, forward-operating period to the Western Pacific.
- Top US military commander in Saudi Arabia to 'maintain confidence' Press TV 25 Oct 2016 -- A senior US military commander has traveled to Saudi Arabia to hear the monarchy's concerns about the future of US-Saudi ties, amid mounting international pressure on the kingdom for its ruthless war against Yemen.
- US using new naval command for South China Sea operations Press TV 25 Oct 2016 -- The US Navy has for the first time used a command center on the American soil to conduct its operations in the South China Sea, according to a report, an indication that Washington plans to bolster its presence in the region.
- US Navy to Deploy F-35-Ready USS Wasp to Japan Next Year Sputnik 25 Oct 2016 -- To maintain its presence in the region, the US Navy will deploy the ship, capable of operating the F-35 Joint Strike Fighter, to Japan to relieve the USS Bonhomme Richard.
- Motivation, Talent Remain Strongest Elements of Network Defense, Says Cyber Official AFPS 25 Oct 2016 -- In keynote remarks and a question-and-answer session at CyberMaryland 2016 last week, the triple-hatted leader of U.S. Cyber Command, the National Security Agency and the Central Security Service championed talent and motivation as network defense game-changers.
- All U.S. cyber force teams achieve "initial operating capability:" Pentagon People's Daily 25 Oct 2016 -- The U.S. Department of Defense said Monday that all 133 of its Cyber Command's Cyber Mission Force teams have achieved what it called "initial operating capability."
- Press conference by NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg ahead of Meetings of NATO Defence Ministers NATO 25 Oct 2016 -- (As delivered)
- NATO Increases Baltic Presence as Norway Approves US Marines at Vaernes Base Sputnik 25 Oct 2016 -- As Norway prepares to allow foreign troops on its soil for the first time since World War II, NATO will also meet in Brussels on Wednesday to discuss plans to boost its military presence along the eastern flank.
- Typhoon-K: The Perfect Weapon for the Fight Against the Jihadists Sputnik 25 Oct 2016 -- Russia's Western Military District has received another dozen brand new Typhoon-K mine-resistant, ambush-protected (MRAP) assault vehicles. Commenting on the delivery, independent military analyst Sergei Cherkasov suggested that the new vehicle is perfectly suited for the fight against terrorists.
- Russian Defense Ministry to Construct 15 Military Facilities in Arctic in 2016 Sputnik 25 Oct 2016 -- 15 facilities of military and social infrastructure for the needs of the Russian troops deployed in the Arctic region are expected to be constructed this year, according to Russian Deputy Defense Minister Dmitry Bulgakov.
- Kaboom! Russian Military Successfully Launches Scary RS-18 Ballistic Missile Sputnik 25 Oct 2016 -- The ballistic warhead has successfully reached its destination.
- Duterte voices aversion to presence of foreign troops in Philippines People's Daily 25 Oct 2016 -- Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte voiced aversion on Tuesday to the presence of foreign troops in the Philippines, saying the country's constitution dictates that the Philippines pursue an independent foreign policy.
- Philippine president tells US to forget about defense pact Press TV 25 Oct 2016 -- Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte says he does not want to see any foreign troops in his country, and that the United States should "forget" a defense pact with Manila.
- UK to resume training of Syrian opposition to fight Daesh UK MOD 25 Oct 2016 -- UK personnel will train members of vetted moderate Syrian opposition groups in infantry, medical and explosive hazard awareness skills as part of the counter Daesh campaign, the Defence Secretary Michael Fallon has announced.
- UK to resume militant training in Syria: Defense minister Press TV 25 Oct 2016 -- UK Minister of Defense Michael Fallon says British special forces will soon resume training "moderate" militants in Syria to bolster the fight against the Daesh (ISIL) Takfiri group.
- Military ordered to study Xi's Long March remarks People's Daily 25 Oct 2016 -- China's military and armed police have been ordered to carefully study the remarks made by President Xi Jinping at a gathering to commemorate the 80th anniversary of the victory of the Long March.
- Djibouti base not for military power: PLA Daily People's Daily 25 Oct 2016 -- Chinese State military media has slammed Western media's hyping of the Chinese facilities in Djibouti as military base, re-emphasizing that the facilities are meant for supply missions.
- China Sensitive About Appearance of US Containment in Region - Intelligence Sputnik 25 Oct 2016 -- US Director of National Intelligence James Clapper said Beijing was "very sensitive about the appearance of the US containing China".
- Ukraine Agrees to Provide India With Engines for Russian Built Krivak Frigate Sputnik 25 Oct 2016 -- Krivak class frigates will be powered by M90FR gas turbines designed and built by Zorya-Mashproekt in Ukraine. Following the Russia-Ukraine conflict, Ukraine had stopped the supply of the engines.
- India to Install Modern Avionics in Mi-17 V5 helicopters Sputnik 25 Oct 2016 -- Amid rising militancy in its different regions, India intends to install more avionics that would boost its military strength in fighting militants in the dense forests of Kashmir and other dangerous areas.
- India's Home Grown War-Helicopter Undergoing Weapons Integration Sputnik 25 Oct 2016 -- The locally developed multi-role light combat helicopter is a major contender for India's defense exports in the near future.
- Jahangiri: Iran's missile power main factor in its deterrence capabilities IRNA 25 Oct 2016 -- First Vice President Eshaq Jahangiri said Iran's missile power is one of the major factors contributing to its deterrence capabilities.
- October 25, 2016 - U.S. Department of State Daily Press Briefing US Dept. of State 25 Oct 2016
- Press Gaggle by Press Secretary Josh Earnest -- Los Angeles, CA, 10/25/2016 The White House 25 Oct 2016
- Women must have their 'rightful place' at the heart of building peace and security - UN chief UN News 25 Oct 2016 -- The urgent drive to bring women into their rightful place at the heart of building peace and security "must never stop," United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon told the Security Council today, calling for key steps towards that goal, including holding all UN peace operations accountable for putting women and girls at the centre of their work.
- Mediterranean death toll in 2016 'worst we have seen' – UN refugee agency UN News 25 Oct 2016 -- With just two months left in 2016, and despite a substantial drop in the number of migrants and refugees attempting to cross the Mediterranean, the number of people losing their lives has witnessed a three-fold overall increase this year, and in one particular route by more than five-fold, the United Nations refugee agency said today.
- Yemeni protesters denounce UN 'complicity' in Saudi war Press TV 25 Oct 2016 -- Hundreds of demonstrators have staged a mass protest in Yemen's capital Sana'a, denouncing the United Nations' "complicity" in Saudi Arabia's deadly campaign against its impoverished neighbor.
- 'An entire generation could be crippled by hunger' in Yemen - UN food relief agency UN News 25 Oct 2016 -- The United Nations food relief agency today said it is increasingly concerned about deteriorating food security and growing rates of child malnutrition in war-plagued Yemen, particularly in hard-to-reach areas.
- Turkey says may launch ground operation into Iraq Press TV 25 Oct 2016 -- Turkish Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu has once again ignored calls for the withdrawal of Turkish troops from Iraq, saying Ankara will consider all military options "including ground operations" if security in the Arab country deteriorates.
- Turkey Notifies US of Possible Measures Against Syrian Kurds in Manbij Sputnik 25 Oct 2016 -- Mevlut Cavusoglu, Turkey's foreign minister said that Turkey warned about possible steps against the self-defense forces of Syrian Kurds, if they do not leave the Syrian city of Manbij.
- Turkey Considers Ground Operation in Iraq Against Daesh or PKK Sputnik 25 Oct 2016 -- Ankara does not rule out the possibility to launch a ground operation in Iraq if developments there pose a threat to Turkey, the country's foreign minister said.
- Russian Aerospace Forces Ready to Strike Militants on Syria-Iraq Border Sputnik 25 Oct 2016 -- The Russian Aerospace Forces are on duty on the Syria-Iraq border and are ready for an immediate attack on terrorists, the Russian General Staff said Tuesday.
- Russia says will extend halt to Aleppo anti-terror strikes Press TV 25 Oct 2016 -- Russia has announced plans to extend a week-long suspension of airstrikes targeting foreign-backed Takfiri terrorists in Syria's battered northwestern city of Aleppo.
- Syrian army soldiers, allies recapture areas in northern Hama Press TV 25 Oct 2016 -- Syrian army units, backed by pro-government volunteer fighters, have managed to wrest control over a number of areas in the northern part of the country's western province of Hama following separate skirmishes with Takfiri militants.
- Pentagon Rules Out Russia's Participation in US-Led Coalition's Raqqa Operation Sputnik 25 Oct 2016 -- The United States has begun planing an offensive to liberate Raqqa from Daesh, and Russia will not be a member of the operation, US Defense Secretary Carter said.
- Russia: No Russian or Syrian Strikes on Aleppo for Past Week VOA 25 Oct 2016 -- Russia said Tuesday no Russian or Syrian forces have carried out airstrikes on the northern Syrian city of Aleppo during the past seven days.
- US: IS Attacks Elsewhere Have Not Shaken Focus on Mosul VOA 25 Oct 2016 -- Efforts by the Islamic State terror group to draw attention away from the Iraqi-led assault on the key northern city of Mosul are having little if any impact, according to U.S. defense and intelligence officials.
- IS Militant Atrocities Mount Against Mosul Civilians VOA 25 Oct 2016 -- The U.N. human rights office says atrocities against civilians in Mosul by Islamic State militants reportedly are increasing as Iraqi soldiers close in on the embattled northern Iraqi city.
- UN: Fresh Reports of Extrajudicial Killings by Islamic State VOA 25 Oct 2016 -- The United Nations said Tuesday it has preliminary reports of extrajudicial killings and summary executions by Islamic State fighters around the northern city of Mosul, including the militants using civilians as human shields.
- Iraqi artillery fire now hitting Daesh inside Mosul Press TV 25 Oct 2016 -- With the start of the second week of operations aimed at liberating the northern Iraqi city of Mosul from Daesh, Iraq's top anti-terror commander says military forces have started targeting the terror outfit's positions inside the city with artillery fire.
- Turkey says forces in multiple fronts in Mosul operations, Iraq denies Press TV 25 Oct 2016 -- Turkish Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu claims Turkey is involved in the operations to liberate Mosul on "multiple fronts" despite Iraq's denial of its involvement.
- UN receives reports of executions and use of 'human shields' by ISIL in battle for Mosul UN News 25 Oct 2016 -- As Iraqi Government forces close in on Mosul, the United Nations human rights wing said today that it continues to receive reports of grave violations against civilians, including extrajudicial killings and summary executions, by Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL/Da'esh) extremists.
- UN Special Envoy Highlights Importance of Building Unified Libyan Army Sputnik 25 Oct 2016 -- UN secretary-general and head of the United Nations Support Mission in Libya said that Building a unified Libyan army is a must in order to build a secure Libya.
- UN urges Myanmar to probe recent violence against Rohingyas Press TV 25 Oct 2016 -- The UN has called on Myanmar to investigate new reports of human rights violations, including the killing of unarmed people and torching of rural settlements in the Muslim-majority Rakhine state.
- Renewed Violence Puts Rohingya, Rakhine on Edge VOA 25 Oct 2016 -- More than 3,000 Rakhine Buddhists have been driven from their homes in Maynamar's Northern Rakhine state after a series of attacks by a group of suspected militants raised the possibility of another sectarian conflict.
- Watchdog Slams South Sudanese Gov't Forces for Alleged Atrocities in Juba Sputnik 25 Oct 2016 -- The report, based on field research conducted by Amnesty in July, August and September, describes the serious violations of international human rights and humanitarian law that took place in Juba.
- Rights Group Blames South Sudan Leaders for July Violence VOA 25 Oct 2016 -- A new report from Amnesty International says government forces in South Sudan deliberately killed and raped citizens while U.N. forces failed to act during clashes in the capital in July.
- Al-Shabab Attack Kills 12 in Kenya VOA 25 Oct 2016 -- An extremist attack targeting non-Muslims along Kenya's northeast border with Somalia on Tuesday has killed 12 people, according to a Kenyan official.
- Duterte Threatens to Cut Off Ties With US Again VOA 25 Oct 2016 -- Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte lashed out at the United States again Tuesday, throwing new uncertainty into relations between the longtime allies.
- Duterte's US-China Policy Pivot Adds to ASEAN Uncertainties VOA 25 Oct 2016 -- Philippine President Rogrigo Duterte's shifts in policy on China and United States is adding a fresh layer of uncertainty to the Association of South East Asian Nations (ASEAN).
- US military needs to stay in southern Philippines: Ambassador Press TV 25 Oct 2016 -- The United States wants to continue its presence in the Philippines, says the American envoy to the Southeast Asian country, citing a need to curb militancy in southern parts of the country.
- US tells Philippines: We are still your ally People's Daily 25 Oct 2016 -- A senior US diplomat said on Monday that Washington supported Manila's blossoming ties with Beijing, but he assured the Southeast Asian nation that Washington remained its trusted ally.
- China firm bags land reclamation contract with Philippines People's Daily 25 Oct 2016 -- China Communications Construction Company (CCCC), a State-owned infrastructure group, recently signed a contract with the Philippines' Mega Harbour Port and Development Inc. to conduct a 208-hectare land reclamation project in Davao's harbour.
- Detainees tortured by police during Turkey's emergency state: HRW Press TV 25 Oct 2016 -- Human Rights Watch (HRW) says a state of emergency declared in Turkey following the abortive July 15 military coup has been used by police forces to torture and abuse people arrested.
- France urges Turkey to respect law in crackdown Press TV 25 Oct 2016 -- France has called on Turkish authorities to abide by the rule of law and respect basic rights as they carry on a crackdown in the wake of an abortive July coup.
- Kremlin Expanding Cyber Efforts in 'Information War' VOA 25 Oct 2016 -- In Russia's so-called "information war" with the West, the pro-Kremlin youth group SET (Network) is a foot soldier fighting primarily on the internet.
- IS Claims Attack on Pakistan Police Training Center VOA 25 Oct 2016 -- lslamic State has claimed responsibility for a suicide attack that targeted a police training center in southwestern Pakistan, killing at least 61 recruits and wounding more than 120 others.
- Gunmen kill at least 59 Pakistani police cadets during academy raid Press TV 24 Oct 2016 -- At least 59 Pakistani police cadets and trainers have been killed and more than 100 others wounded after militants attacked a police college in the restive Balochistan province.
- Will Public Outcry Spare Jia Jinglong From Controversial Death Sentence? VOA 25 Oct 2016 -- Legal analysts and experts in China say that the fate of a 30-year-old Chinese man, sentenced to death for his murder of a village chief in a forced demolition dispute, is still up in the air.
- China's overseas anti-corruption efforts net 634 fugitives People's Daily 25 Oct 2016 -- A total of 634 oversea fugitives have been captured in 67 countries and regions since the 2016 "fox hunt" campaign kicked off in May, aiming to track down corrupt officials who have fled the country.
- US Official: Stopping N. Korea's Nuclear Program 'Probably Is Lost Cause' VOA 25 Oct 2016 -- The director of U.S. national intelligence says the ongoing U.S. push to persuade North Korea to give up its controversial nuclear program is, in his words, "probably a lost cause."
- FM Spokesman Slams U.S. State Secretary's Provocative Remarks against DPRK KCNA 25 Oct 2016 -- A spokesman for the Foreign Ministry of the DPRK gave the following answer to a question raised by KCNA Tuesday in connection with the fact that the U.S. State secretary let out provocative remarks slandering the dignified government of the DPRK.
- U.S. Chiefly to Blame for Escalating Tension on Korean Peninsula: Rodong Sinmun KCNA 25 Oct 2016 -- Recently the U.S. warmongers staged the largest-ever joint naval drill in the waters off the Korean peninsula together with south Korean puppet forces despite the unanimous protest at home and abroad. The drill was staged under the pretence of examining the feasibility of the "operation plan for large-scale counteraction" while brass hats of the Command of the U.S. imperialist aggression forces in south Korea were watching it aboard an aircraft carrier.
- Scandal Undermines South Korean Constitutional Reform Effort VOA 25 Oct 2016 -- South Korea's National Assembly is divided over President's Park Guen-hye's constitutional amendment proposal to end the political stalemate in the country.
- US, China Silent on Space Talks, Except to Say There Will Be More VOA 25 Oct 2016 -- The United States and China appear to be keeping an unusually low profile as they push for more dialogue and cooperation on space exploration.
- Bangladesh police kill two members of Jamaat-e-Islami Party Press TV 25 Oct 2016 -- Bangladeshi police have shot dead two members of the country's Jamaat-e-Islami Party in gunfights amid growing concern of extrajudicial killings by security forces across the Asian country.
- Venezuelan Parliament Votes to Start Impeachment Process of President Maduro Sputnik 25 Oct 2016 -- Venezuela's opposition-dominated parliament has rule to begin the process of impeachment of President Nicholas Maduro.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|