19 October 2016 Military News
- OIF / OND / OEF / OIR / OFS Casualty Update 19 Oct 2016 [PDF]
- Department of Defense Press Briefing by Army Maj. Gen. Gary J. Volesky via teleconference from Baghdad, Iraq DoD 19 Oct 2016 -- Presenter: Army Maj. Gen. Gary J. Volesky, commander, Combined Joint Forces Land Component Command-Operation Inherent Resolve, and commander, 101st Airborne Division (Air Assault)
- Coalition Targets ISIL Terrorists in Syria, Iraq AFPS 19 Oct 2016 -- U.S. and coalition military forces continued to attack Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant terrorists in Iraq and Syria yesterday, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials reported today.
- Update: air strikes against Daesh UK MOD 19 Oct 2016 -- British forces have continued to conduct air operations in the fight against Daesh
- UNAMA releases civilian casualty data for third quarter of 2016 UNAMA 19 Oct 2016 -- The UN Assistance Mission in Afghanistan (UNAMA) renews its call for all parties to refocus their efforts on preventing harm to civilians, as latest figures released today by UNAMA for the first three quarters of 2016 show continuing high numbers of civilian casualties from the armed conflict.
- UN mission in Afghanistan reports 'worrying' rise in child casualties UN News 19 Oct 2016 -- Even though overall conflict-related civilian casualty numbers in Afghanistan fell by one per cent in the first nine months of 2016 compared to the same period in 2015, child casualties saw a marked increase of 15 per cent, the United Nations mission in the country said today.
- UN concerned about continuing rise in Afghan child casualties Press TV 19 Oct 2016 -- The United Nations has expressed deep concerns over the continuing rise in the number of children killed or wounded in Afghanistan, renewing calls for the protection of Afghan children.
- UN: Afghan War Caused Over 8,000 Civilian Casualties This Year VOA 19 Oct 2016 -- The United Nations says the war in Afghan has caused more than 8,000 civilian casualties, including nearly 2,600 deaths, in the first nine months of 2016.
- Gunman in Afghan army uniform kills two Americans Press TV 19 Oct 2016 -- A gunman wearing Afghan military uniform has shot dead at least two Americans and wounded three others at a base in Afghanistan's capital Kabul, the US military says.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Department Seeks to Expand Infrastructure Privatization AFPS 19 Oct 2016 -- The Defense Department is pulling out of the landlord business and is looking at areas beyond housing where public-private partnerships could shore up defense infrastructure, according to a senior defense official.
- Southcom Commander Urges Cooperation Against Transregional Threats AFPS 19 Oct 2016 -- Transregional and transnational networks and the growing illegal economies that support them undercut U.S. national interests in multiple nations, continents and regions, the commander of U.S. Southern Command said here yesterday.
- Essex Receives High-Flying Upgrade NNS 19 Oct 2016 -- Wasp-class amphibious assault ship USS Essex (LHD-2) is currently undergoing upgrades that will allow it to field the latest weapon in avionic warfare, the F-35B Joint Strike Fighter (JSF).
- Future USS Rafael Peralta Completes Alpha Trials NNS 19 Oct 2016 -- Future guided-missile destroyer USS Rafael Peralta (DDG 115) successfully completed Alpha trials Oct. 18 after spending two days underway off the coast of Maine.
- US, UK Commences Mine Countermeasures Exercise 17-1 in Arabian Gulf NNS 19 Oct 2016 -- Commander, Task Force (CTF) 52 with the UK Mine Countermeasures Force (COMUKMCMFOR) commenced the UK-U.S. Mine Countermeasures Exercise 17-1 with a photographic exercise (PHOTOEX) formation in the Arabian Gulf, Oct. 19.
- Region EURAFSWA Focuses on Cyber Security NNS 19 Oct 2016 -- Navy Region Europe, Africa, and Southwest Asia (EURAFSWA) continues to stay vigilant regarding cyber security throughout its expansive area of operations by educating personnel to be information-conscious and knowledgeable computer users.
- HM-15 Conducts Annual Training at NSWC PCD NNS 19 Oct 2016 -- Helicopter Mine Countermeasures Squadron (HM) 15 conducted annual airborne mine countermeasures (AMCM) training at Naval Surface Warfare Center, Panama City Division (NSWC PCD) for almost two weeks during October.
- Unmanned, Autonomous Technologies Tested During First Unmanned Warrior Exercise NNS 19 Oct 2016 -- Luckily, the skies above the island of Benbecula, a remote Scottish outpost in the Outer Hebrides, have been clear and calm so far this October.
- Go for Green® Fully Implemented Across Navy NNS 19 Oct 2016 -- Naval Supply Systems Command (NAVSUP) has fully implemented the Go For Green® (G4G) program worldwide as of Oct. 20.
- National Guard uniquely positioned to contribute in cyber realm AFNS 19 Oct 2016 -- The civilian-acquired skills of its members enable the National Guard to make unique contributions in the cyber realm, Gen. Joseph Lengyel, chief of the National Guard Bureau, said Oct. 17.
- NATO and the United Arab Emirates reinforce partnership with new cooperation programme NATO 19 Oct 2016 -- NATO and the United Arab Emirates reinforced their partnership and set out their priorities for future cooperation by signing an Individual Partnership and Cooperation Programme (IPCP) on Wednesday (19 October 2016).
- U.S. Calls For Meeting With Russia Over Disputed Missile Treaty RFE/RL 19 Oct 2016 -- The United States has called for a special meeting with Russia over alleged violations of a landmark Cold War-era arms control treaty, a policy reversal that echoes deepening U.S. fears about Moscow's intentions.
- Russian lawmakers back suspension of nuclear deal with US Press TV 19 Oct 2016 -- Members of the Russian parliament have unanimously approved a decision by President Vladimir Putin to suspend cooperation with the United States on a nuclear deal.
- Russian Lawmakers Approve Suspension of Plutonium Deal With US VOA 19 Oct 2016 -- The lower house of Russian parliament, Duma, has unanimously approved a decree signed by President Vladimir Putin to suspend a deal with the United States on the disposal of weapons-grade plutonium.
- Deployment of Air Defense System Near Riga to Cost $164Mln - Defense Ministry Sputnik 19 Oct 2016 -- Future deployment of an air defense system that aims to protect Riga, the Latvian capital, is expected to cost some 150 million euro ($164 at the current exchange rates), Latvian Defense Ministry's State Secretary Janis Garisons said Wednesday.
- India Deploys Improved Fast Attack Craft for Surveillance Amid Terror Threat Sputnik 19 Oct 2016 -- Indian strategic establishments located in coastal areas received a high level threat from different terrorist groups.
- India Conducts Joint Military Exercise With China Sputnik 19 Oct 2016 -- Armies of both nations conducted joint military exercise in the region where a few months ago news reports suggested that India had stationed around 100 battle tanks to counter China.
- Iranian air force fighters target hypothetical enemies during war game IRNA 19 Oct 2016 -- Iranian air force jet fighters targeted hypothetical enemies with Maverick missiles and intelligent rockets during a war game in this central Iran province on Wednesday.
- Iranian Navy fleet gives berth at Port of Baku amid warm welcome IRNA 19 Oct 2016 -- Iranian Navy fleet comprised of Damavand destroyer and Joshan missile-launcher warship gave berth at Port of Baku amid warm welcome on Wednesday.
- 2,000-pound munitions used in Iran drills Press TV 19 Oct 2016 -- The Iranian Air Force has used 2,000-pound laser-guided munitions and precision-guided missiles against mock targets on the last day of a major aerial drill in central Iran.
- Russia Not Holding Talks With Pakistan on Supply of Su-35 Jets - Official Sputnik 19 Oct 2016 -- Russia is not engaged in negotiations on Su-35 fighter jets supply to Pakistan, Anatoly Punchuk, the deputy director of the Russian Federal Service for Military-Technical Cooperation (FSMTC), said Wednesday.
- US, South Korea Tightening Alliance to Counter Nuclear Threat from North VOA 19 Oct 2016 -- The United States and South Korea on Wednesday announced a further strengthening of their security alliance with the start of talks on an "extended deterrence" against a nuclear North Korea.
- Remarks at the U.S.-Republic of Korea 2+2 Ministerial Meeting US Dept. of State 19 Oct 2016 -- Remarks by John Kerry, US Secretary of State, Secretary of Defense Ashton Carter, South Korean Minister of Foreign Affairs Yun Byung-se, and South Korean Minister of National Defense Han Min-koo
- Remarks With Republic of Korea Foreign Minister Yun Byung-se at a Press Availability US Dept. of State 19 Oct 2016 -- Remarks by John Kerry, US Secretary of State,
- Joint Statement of the 2016 United States - Republic of Korea Foreign and Defense Ministers' Meeting US Dept. of State 19 Oct 2016
- Press Briefing by Press Secretary Josh Earnest, 10/19/2016 The White House 19 Oct 2016
- DoD News: Contracts for October 19, 2016
- Russia to Keep Arms Exports at $15Bln Annually for Next Three Years Sputnik 19 Oct 2016 -- Russia will export annually weaponry and military equipment worth some $15 billion for the next three years, Anatoly Punchuk, the deputy director of the Russian Federal Service for Military-Technical Cooperation (FSMTC), said Wednesday.
- 19 October 2016 - Daily Press Briefing by the Office of the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General United Nations 19 Oct 2016
- China Using Ecological Protection to Boost Claims in Disputed Waters VOA 19 Oct 2016 -- China's public order to keep away from a rare, environmentally unique ocean sinkhole in the Paracel Islands signals a new effort to tighten its grip on a tract of water disputed with Vietnam and monitored by the United States.
- Foreign interference in South China Sea won't bring prosperity to region: Duterte People's Daily 19 Oct 2016 -- Philippines President Rodrigo Duterte has reiterated his opposition to foreign interference in the South China Sea, warning that such unwelcome overtures would pose a great threat to regional stability.
- All parties must respect Yemen ceasefire: Russia, UN Press TV 19 Oct 2016 -- Russia and the United Nations have emphasized the need for all concerned parties in Yemen to abide by a UN-brokered ceasefire, which is scheduled to take effect as of Thursday.
- UN relief wing and partners ready to rush in aid once pause in Yemen fighting begins UN News 19 Oct 2016 -- Following a month that saw civilians continuing to bear the brunt of the conflict in Yemen, a 72-hour halt to fighting set to take effect later today is welcome, but not nearly enough time, according to a senior United Nations relief official, who appealed for more predictable access to be able deliver aid to hard-to-reach communities caught up in the crisis.
- Yemen Cease-fire Provides Slim Window for UN to Distribute Aid VOA 19 Oct 2016 -- A senior U.N. official says humanitarian agencies will take advantage of a 72-hour cease-fire in Yemen to rush life-saving aid to tens of thousands of people in areas that have been cut off by the conflict for a long time. The cease-fire is to go into effect Wednesday night.
- Fight Against Islamic State Is A Land Grab That Will Resonate For Years To Come RFE/RL 19 Oct 2016 -- We may be witnessing the end of the extremist group Islamic State (IS) as we know it.
- French, German Leaders Lambaste Putin, Eye Sanctions Over Syria RFE/RL 19 Oct 2016 -- The leaders of France and Germany after meeting with Russian President Vladimir Putin lambasted Moscow for its bombardment of Syria and refused to rule out imposing sanctions on Russia.
- Assad, Putin discuss anti-terror fight in Syria Press TV 19 Oct 2016 -- Syrian President Bashar al-Assad and his Russian counterpart, Vladimir Putin, have discussed the latest developments regarding the battle against terrorism in Syria.
- Russia, US officials exchange views on situation in Syria's Aleppo Press TV 19 Oct 2016 -- Senior Russian and US officials have held talks aimed at agreeing on a way to separate al-Qaeda-linked terrorists from other militants fighting against the Damascus government in Aleppo, in a bid to break the deadlock in the embattled Syrian city.
- UN says needs serious commitment to Aleppo truce for aid deliveries Press TV 19 Oct 2016 -- The United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA) says all sides of the conflict in Syria's Aleppo have to back an extended ceasefire in order for the UN body to provide assistance for the besieged civilians in the city.
- Syria's anti-terror fight in Aleppo aimed at defending civilians: Assad Press TV 19 Oct 2016 -- Syria's President Bashar al-Assad says purging terrorists from the northwestern city of Aleppo is the only lawful way for the Syrian government to protect the civilian population in the embattled city.
- Syrian Rebels, Civilians Begin Eastern Aleppo Exodus - Reports Sputnik 19 Oct 2016 -- Unarmed militants as well as civilian residents began on Wednesday to leave eastern parts of Syria's embattled city of Aleppo in line with agreements with Damascus authorities, state-run news agency SANA said.
- US Central Command Dismisses Claims of Belgian Airstrike on Northern Aleppo Sputnik 19 Oct 2016 -- The US-led coalition against the Islamic State has seen no evidence of alleged airstrikes by Belgian F-16 fighter jets in northern Aleppo, US Central Command (CENTCOM) spokesperson told Sputnik on Wednesday.
- Syrian Foreign Ministry Not Taking Seriously EU Criticism of Actions in Aleppo Sputnik 19 Oct 2016 -- Damascus does not take seriously the recent joint statement of the European Union foreign ministers saying that the Syrian army's actions in Aleppo could amount to war crimes, state media reported Wednesday citing a foreign ministry source.
- US Building Force to Retake Syria's Raqqa From Daesh - Reports Sputnik 19 Oct 2016 -- The United States is working with its coalition partners to prepare an offensive on de-facto Daesh's capital Raqqa in Syria, the Wall Street Journal reported.
- Turkish Army Destroys 64 Daesh Facilities in Northern Syria Sputnik 19 Oct 2016 -- The Turkish operation in northern Syria destroyed 64 Daesh facilities in the past 24 hours, Ankara's general staff said.
- UN Declares Russia's Truce Extension in Aleppo Inadequate VOA 19 Oct 2016 -- The United Nations says Russia's extension of a truce in the Syrian city of Aleppo is not enough time to allow humanitarian aid to be delivered to besieged civilians.
- With Sights Set on Mosul, Trouble Lurks on the Horizon VOA 19 Oct 2016 -- Iraqi and Kurdish forces moving on Mosul are bracing for heavier resistance as they advance toward the Islamic State's last major stronghold in Iraq. Yet even as confidence in the operation grows, there are fears the most treacherous terrain may lie outside the city itself.
- US General Urges Iraqis 'Not to Rush' Mosul Fight VOA 19 Oct 2016 -- The general running the coalition's ground campaign in Iraq is urging Iraqi forces fighting for Mosul not to "go so fast that they start to give opportunity to the enemy."
- Iraqi Forces Have Momentum in Fight for Mosul, Says OIR Commander AFPS 19 Oct 2016 -- Iraqi forces have momentum in the fight to retake Mosul from the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant, the U.S. commander of Operation Inherent Resolve's ground troops said today.
- Mosul Offensive 'On Track,' Centcom Commander Says AFPS 19 Oct 2016 -- The commander of U.S. Central Command detailed the progress of the Mosul offensive in Iraq and also spoke of the long-range strategies for the United States in the Middle East during a discussion at the Center for American Progress here today.
- Iran not interfering in Iraq affairs: Leader advisor Press TV 19 Oct 2016 -- A senior Iranian official says only Iraqi forces have the right to participate in the ongoing operation to liberate the Iraqi city of Mosul, Daesh's last major stronghold in the Arab country.
- UPDATES: Day 3 of operations to liberate Daesh-held Mosul Press TV 19 Oct 2016 -- The long-awaited battle for Mosul enters its third day, in a push which has seen the Iraqi army join forces with various military groups in the country, including Shia, Sunni and Kurdish forces, to drive out Daesh terrorists from their last stronghold in Iraq. Mosul slipped into the hands of Daesh in the summer of 2014. It took months for the army and pro-government volunteer forces to prepare for the decisive offensive to liberate the strategic northern city.
- Daesh may launch chemical attacks during Mosul op: US officials Press TV 19 Oct 2016 -- American officials say the Daesh Takfiri group may resort to launching chemical attacks in the fight to hold its grip on Iraq's second largest city, Mosul.
- Thousands Of Civilians Flee Mosul Amid Military Operation RFE/RL 19 Oct 2016 -- Thousands of people have fled the Mosul area in northern Iraq, where an offensive is underway to drive out the Islamic State (IS) group.
- Mosul Liberation Offensive Moves Faster Than Expected - Baghdad Sputnik 19 Oct 2016 -- The Iraqi forces are making an unexpectedly fast progress toward the Iraqi city of Mosul to free it from Daesh terrorists, the Iraqi Prime Minister Haider Abadi's spokesman said Wednesday.
- 'Daesh Ranks Panicking, Commanders Fleeing' From Mosul to Syria Amid Offensive Sputnik 19 Oct 2016 -- Said Mamuzini, the representative of the Arab Democratic Party of Kurdistan (KDP), spoke to Sputnik about the military operation underway in Mosul, saying that amid the military offensive, Daesh terrorists are fleeing the region with their families.
- Apache Helicopters Begin Supporting Counter-Daesh Operation in Mosul Sputnik 19 Oct 2016 -- Apache ground-support helicopters have joined the operation to liberate the Iraqi city of Mosul from Daesh terrorists.
- Aid Group: Thousands Have Fled Mosul VOA 19 Oct 2016 -- The international charity Save the Children says thousands of people have fled the Mosul area in order to escape the unfolding offensive by Iraqi and Kurdish forces to retake the city from Islamic State militants.
- Russia, Ukraine Agree To Draft New Road Map Carrying Out Peace Deal RFE/RL 19 Oct 2016 -- The leaders of Ukraine, Germany, France, and Russia agreed to draw up a road map by the end of next month to carry out the Minsk peace agreement for eastern Ukraine.
- Agreement to Send Armed European Police Force to Eastern Ukraine VOA 19 Oct 2016 -- Ukrainian President Petro Poroshenko says an agreement was reached Thursday on sending an armed OSCE police mission to separatist eastern Ukraine to help enforce the Minsk peace accords.
- Germany Hosts Meeting to Review Minsk Agreements on Ukraine VOA 19 Oct 2016 -- Leaders of Germany, Russia, Ukraine and France have gathered in Berlin for four-way talks in efforts to revive the stalled Minsk peace agreement aimed at reaching a political settlement in eastern Ukraine.
- Burundi's president signs decree to launch withdrawal from ICC Press TV 19 Oct 2016 -- Burundi's President Pierre Nkurunziza has signed a decree effectuating a parliamentary law that had called for the country to withdraw from the International Criminal Court (ICC).
- UN to monitor Colombia-FARC ceasefire despite rejection of deal Press TV 19 Oct 2016 -- The United Nations (UN) has set up a new mission to monitor a ceasefire under a landmark peace deal between the main rebel group in Colombia and the Bogota government despite the rejection of the deal by a tiny margin in a referendum.
- In turbulent Middle East, UN envoy warns against 'sleep-walking into another violent conflict' UN News 19 Oct 2016 -- The absence of progress towards a two-state solution has led to growing anger and frustration among Palestinians and profound disillusionment among Israelis, the top United Nations Middle East envoy warned today: "We must all avoid the risk of sleep-walking into another violent conflict at a time when the region as a whole needs moderate forces" to stand up to rising radicalization.
- UN calls for protecting civilians as fighting, though reduced, continues in north-west Myanmar UN News 19 Oct 2016 -- Even though fighting between security forces and a group, identified by the Government as the Aqa mul moujahideen, in some villages on the outskirts of Maungdaw township in Myanmar's Northern Rakhine province appear to have reduced in severity, an atmosphere of fear and tension continues to grip the local population, a spokesperson for the United Nations said today.
- Clinton, Trump Clash Over Russia In Final U.S. Presidential Debate RFE/RL 19 Oct 2016 -- U.S. Democratic presidential candidate Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump clashed over Russia on October 19 in their final debate of the campaign, with Clinton directly accusing Russian President Vladimir Putin of ordering cyberattacks to help her Republican rival win.
- N. Korean Rights Controversy Could Shape Presidential Election in South VOA 19 Oct 2016 -- In South Korea this week, a controversy has erupted over a nearly decade old U.N. North Korea human rights vote that could frame the 2017 presidential election as a clear choice between relying on punitive measures only to pressure the Kim Jong Un government to end its nuclear program, or renewing engagement efforts.
- Leader urges authorities not to back down against US Press TV 19 Oct 2016 -- Leader of the Islamic Revolution Ayatollah Seyyed Ali Khamenei has called on Iranian authorities not to back down in the face of the United States' ever-increasing demands.
- Iran sentences 6 US spies to 10 years in jail Press TV 19 Oct 2016 -- Six Iranian nationals have been sentenced to 10 years in prison each over charges of espionage and collaboration with the US government.
- Assange's London Embassy Asylum Nearing Its End? VOA 19 Oct 2016 -- Ecuador's decision to temporarily cut Julian Assange's internet access is a sign that the WikiLeaks founder could be overstaying his welcome at the country's London embassy – or so some in Britain hope.
- Second California Man Who Participated in Conspiracy to Provide Support to ISIL Sentenced to 30 Years in Federal Prison US Dept. of Justice 19 Oct 2016 -- Muhanad Elfatih M.A. Badawi, 25, of Anaheim, California, was sentenced to 30 years in federal prison for conspiring with another man to provide material support to the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL), a designated foreign terrorist organization.
- Prague Police Detain Russian Suspected Of Hacking By U.S. RFE/RL 19 Oct 2016 -- Police in the Czech Republic's capital have detained a Russian citizen suspected of hacking U.S.-based websites.
- FBI, Czech Police Arrest Alleged Russian Hacker Linked to US Attacks VOA 19 Oct 2016 -- The Federal Bureau of Investigation, working with Czech police, arrested a Russian citizen in Prague on Wednesday in connection with attempted cyber-attacks against the United States.
- Shenzhou-11 spacecraft docks with Tiangong-2 space lab People's Daily 19 Oct 2016 -- The Shenzhou-11 manned spacecraft successfully completed its automated docking with the orbiting Tiangong-2 space lab at 3:31 a.m. Wednesday Beijing Time, according to Beijing Aerospace Control Center (BACC).
- NSB head, Presidential Office secretary-general resign CNA 19 Oct 2016 -- President Tsai Ing-wen (蔡英文) has approved the resignations of the head of the National Security Bureau (NSB) and the Presidential Office secretary-general, the president's spokesman said Wednesday.
- KMT head undecided over what to discuss with CPC chief in Beijing CNA 19 Oct 2016 -- The chairwoman of Taiwan's main opposition Kuomintang (KMT) said Wednesday that she will allow herself "room for flexibility" when talking with Communist Party of China (CPC) General Secretary Xi Jinping (習近平) in Beijing early next month.
- Ankara to submit proposals for constitutional changes 'very soon' Press TV 18 Oct 2016 -- The Turkish government says it will "very soon" submit proposals to the parliament for constitutional changes that will bolster the powers of President Recep Tayyip Erdogan, a controversial move that has drawn criticism.
- Turkey's Crackdown on Businesses Sparks Concern VOA 19 Oct 2016 -- The Turkish government crackdown that followed the failed July coup is expanding to businesses, with the assets of major multibillion-dollar conglomerates seized, along with hundreds of smaller companies.
- DR Congo: Ban notes conclusion of national dialogue, urges active engagement with all stakeholders UN News 19 Oct 2016 -- Taking note of the wrap-up of the African-Union mediated national dialogue in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC), United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon today urged the Government to remain actively engage with all political stakeholders, and called on political actors not involved in the talks to resolve their difference peacefully.
- DRC Capital Quiet During Anti-government Strike VOA 19 Oct 2016 -- The streets of the Kinshasa were quiet Wednesday after the opposition called for a general strike. The main opposition coalition in the Democratic Republic of Congo is protesting a deal signed earlier this week between President Joseph Kabila and a smaller opposition platform that would postpone elections by nearly two years and leave Kabila in office in the interim.
- Strikes hit DR Congo amid president's plan to stay in power: Report Press TV 19 Oct 2016 -- Strikes have reportedly been staged in the capital of the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) in protest at a controversial plan by President Joseph Kabila to continue to stay in power despite the end of his constitutionally-allowed term.
- Pro-Western Moldovan Presidential Hopeful Warns Of 'Massive Fraud' In Looming Vote RFE/RL 19 Oct 2016 -- One of the leading pro-Western candidates in this month's presidential election in Moldova has warned of "risks of massive fraud" in the vote, which has further divided the tiny post-Soviet state's already fractious political scene.
- Somalia Faces Election Challenges VOA 19 Oct 2016 -- America's presidential elections may be getting much of the world's attention right now, but in the Horn of Africa, another country's electoral season is also underway.
- Saudi Arabia launches $17.5bn bond sale Press TV 19 Oct 2016 -- Saudi Arabia has conducted what is seen as the largest-ever emerging market bond sale. The kingdom on Wednesday sold $17.5 billion of debt in the government's first international offer while attracting investor orders totaling almost four times that amount.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|