15 October 2016 Military News
- Inherent Resolve Strikes Target ISIL in Syria, Iraq AFPS 15 Oct 2016 -- U.S. and coalition military forces continued to attack Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant terrorists in Syria and Iraq yesterday, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials reported today.
- USS Iwo Jima Takes Lead of Navy Support in Haiti NNS 15 Oct 2016 -- The two ships conducted the exchange as Iwo Jima relieves Mesa Verde as the lead Navy support of Humanitarian Assistance/Disaster Relief (HA/DR) missions in the wake of Hurricane Matthew as part of Joint Task Force Matthew.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Navy's Most Advanced Warship, USS Zumwalt Commissions in Baltimore NNS 15 Oct 2016 -- The Navy's newest and most technologically advanced warship, USS Zumwalt (DDG 1000) was commissioned into active service Saturday, Oct. 15, at North Locust Point in Baltimore.
- USS San Francisco Returns to San Diego NNS 15 Oct 2016 -- The Los Angeles-class attack submarine USS San Francisco (SSN 711) and her crew returned to Naval Base Point Loma after completing a six-month deployment to the Western Pacific (WESTPAC) region, where they were greeted on the pier by friends and family, Oct. 14.
- Russian Northern Fleet Warships to Practice Anti-Terror Operations in the Med Sputnik 15 Oct 2016 -- According to the fleet's press service, Russia's Northern Fleet sent on Saturday a group of warships headed by the aircraft-carrying cruiser Admiral Kuznetsov to the Mediterranean to train in responding to pirate and terrorist threats.
- Russia, India Sign Defense Deals Worth Billions RFE/RL 15 Oct 2016 -- Russia and India have signed defense deals worth billions of dollars on missile systems, helicopters, and frigates at a meeting of the leaders of the two countries in the southern India state of Goa.
- Russia, India Sign Agreement on Deliveries of S-400 Air Defense Systems Sputnik 15 Oct 2016 -- Russia and India signed Saturday a deal on the deliveries of S-400 Triumf air defense systems on the sidelines of the BRICS summit in Goa.
- USSTRATCOM Detects, Tracks Attempted North Korean Missile Launch USSTRATCOM 15 Oct 2016 -- U.S. Strategic Command (USSTRATCOM) systems detected what we assess was a failed North Korean missile launch at 10:33 p.m. CDT, October 14, 2016, near the northwestern city of Kusŏng.
- Pentagon Reports Failed Missile Launch by N. Korea VOA 15 Oct 2016 -- North Korea tried to launch an intermediate-range ballistic missile Saturday, but the effort failed, the U.S. military reported.
- 'Firmer and Stronger': South Korea, US to Enhance Defense Against Pyongyang Sputnik 16 Oct 2016 -- South Korea and the US have agreed to beef up their defense readiness measures against the North's provocations at an annual Military Committee Meeting (MCM) in Washington on Thursday.
- S. Korean Puppet Warmongers Commit Military Provocation in Hotspot Waters in West Sea of Korea KCNA 15 Oct 2016 -- The south Korean puppet military warmongers are escalating the intrusion into the territorial waters of the north side in the hotspot waters in the West Sea of Korea recently.
- Iranian Navy fleet due in Azerbaijan to carry message of friendship IRNA 15 Oct 2016 -- An Iranian Navy fleet comprised of Damavand destroyer and Joshan missile-launching warship will depart Iran's territorial waters in the Caspian Sea for Azerbaijan Republic on Sunday to carry message of friendship to the littoral states of the Caspian Sea.
- Saudi-Led Coalition Says Warplane 'Wrongly Targeted' Sanaa Funeral RFE/RL 15 Oct 2016 -- The Saudi-led coalition battling Yemeni rebels says that one of its warplanes "wrongly targeted" a funeral in the capital, Sanaa, that killed more than 140 people and announced disciplinary proceedings.
- Saudi-led Coalition Blames Faulty Data for Lethal Bombing of Yemen Funeral VOA 15 Oct 2016 -- Investigators with the Saudi-led coalition fighting Yemeni rebels said Saturday that incorrect information led to the bombing of a crowded funeral in the Yemeni capital last weekend, killing about 140 people and wounding at least 525 others.
- Rebels in Yemen Free Two American Captives VOA 15 Oct 2016 -- U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry on Saturday announced the release of two American citizens who had been held by Houthi rebel militias in Yemen.
- Rafsanjani cautions against US-Russia escalation on Syria IRNA 15 Oct 2016 -- Expediency Council Chairman Ayatollah Akbar Hashemi Rafsanjani said on Saturday that trans-regional powers must stop intervention in the humanitarian crisis in Syria and put an end to the plight of the Syrian people.
- Iran FM holds separate talks on Syria with Iraq, Russia counterparts in Lausanne Press TV 15 Oct 2016 -- Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif has held separate talks with his Iraqi and Russian counterparts in the Swiss lakeside city of Lausanne about a solution to the crisis in Syria.
- Syria Talks In Switzerland End With No Concrete Path Forward RFE/RL 15 Oct 2016 -- Talks between the United States, Russia, and regional players on how to end the Syrian conflict have ended in the Swiss city of Lausanne after more than four hours with no concrete action to stop the violence.
- Turkish-Backed Syrian Rebels Move on 'Doomsday' Village of Dabiq VOA 15 Oct 2016 -- Syrian rebels backed by Turkish airstrikes and artillery shelling advanced Saturday to the outskirts of Dabiq, a northern Syrian village that holds little tactical value for its current occupiers, the Islamic State terror group, but is of major religious and symbolic importance for the jihadists, according to Turkish leaders and political activists in the war-savaged country.
- US, Russia, Regional Players Begin Swiss Talks on Syria VOA 15 Oct 2016 -- Talks began in the Swiss city of Lausanne Saturday in another attempt to find a diplomatic solution to the Syrian conflict.
- Iran vows to stand by Iraq in campaign against terrorists Press TV 15 Oct 2016 -- The Iranian Foreign Ministry has denounced the latest deadly bombing attacks in the Iraqi capital of Baghdad, saying the Islamic Republic will support Iraq in its fight against terrorists until their final defeat.
- Iraq cannot handle Mosul offensive alone, Erdogan claims Press TV 15 Oct 2016 -- Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has claimed the Iraqi government cannot push the Daesh Takfiri terror group out of Mosul alone, expressing Turkey's readiness to take part in the planned military operation to liberate the city.
- Iraqi Army Moves to Capture Kirkuk Town in Preparation for Mosul Offensive Sputnik 15 Oct 2016 -- As the hour of the upcoming assault on Mosul draws near, the Iraqi army and its allies move to liberate the town of Havice located in Kirkuk province.
- Dozens Die in Baghdad Suicide Blast Claimed by IS VOA 15 Oct 2016 -- A suicide bomber in Baghdad killed more than 35 people and wounded over 50 others Saturday in an attack on Shi'ite Muslim religious observances.
- Libyan Former Officials, Militias Attempt Coup in Tripoli Sputnik 15 Oct 2016 -- A group of former members of Libya's GNC declared themselves in power after taking over the premises previously held by the congress in the country's capital, local media reported.
- 11 killed in new wave of violence in Central African Republic Press TV 15 Oct 2016 -- At least 11 people have been shot dead in a camp for displaced people in the Central African Republic (CAR) a few days after over two dozen others lost their lives in fresh sectarian violence.
- Argentina Upset Over UK Military Exercises Planned Near Falklands Sputnik 15 Oct 2016 -- Argentinian government has issued an official protest against British military drills that are to take place near disputed Falkland/Malvinas Islands.
- Russia Criticizes Biden's Promise That U.S. Will Send 'Message' Over Hacking RFE/RL 15 Oct 2016 -- Moscow has objected to a top U.S. official saying that a "message" would be sent to Russian President Vladimir Putin over alleged Russian cyberattacks on American political institutions.
- US unpredictability dangerous for world: Moscow Press TV 15 Oct 2016 -- The United States is threatening Russia in an "unprecedented" manner, Moscow says, vowing to take "precautionary measures."
- Temporary regent to stand in as Thai crown prince asks for appropriate time to succeed People's Daily 15 Oct 2016 -- The head of Thailand's royal advisory council will stand in as regent before Crown Prince Maha Vajiralongkorn formally succeeds his father, late King Bhumibol Adulyadej, Thai deputy prime minister Wissanu Krea-ngam said late Friday.
- Russia to Continue Assisting India in Developing Nuclear Energy Industry Sputnik 15 Oct 2016 -- Russia will go on providing assistance to India in developing nuclear energy industry, Russian President Vladimir Putin said Saturday.
- India Deepens Ties with Russia, Highlights Cross-border Terror VOA 15 Oct 2016 -- India and Russia deepened economic and military cooperation, while New Delhi pressed its concerns about cross-border terrorism at a summit of the BRICS countries in the western Indian city of Goa.
- Russia, India Agree on Mutual Placement of Satellite Stations – Roscosmos Sputnik 15 Oct 2016 -- Russia's Roscosmos space corporation said that Russia and India agreed on mutual placement of Russia's Glonass satellite navigation system and Indian NavIC navigation system on the sidelines of the BRICS Goa summit.
- Araqchi rebukes western parties to JCPOA for procrastination IRNA 15 Oct 2016 -- Deputy Foreign Minister Abbas Araqchi on Saturday rebuked the western parties to Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action for procrastination to carry out the nuclear deal.
- Iran Foreign Ministry categorically rejects GCC, Turkey allegations Press TV 15 Oct 2016 -- Iran's Foreign Ministry has vehemently rejected allegations leveled in a joint statement by the foreign ministers of the GCC, the [Persian] Gulf Cooperation Council, and Turkey against the Islamic Republic. "Countries whose irresponsible interference in [the affairs of] other states has led to the spread of insecurity, war and terrorism and who have violated the national sovereignty of their neighbors are not in a position to advise others not to interfere in regional affairs," the Iranian Foreign Ministry said in a statement on Saturday.
- Foreign Ministry Spokesman Blasts U.S. Official's Remarks Hurting Dignity of Supreme Leadership of DPRK KCNA 15 Oct 2016 -- A spokesman for the Foreign Ministry of the DPRK issued the following statement on Saturday:
- KCNA Commentary Blasts Desperate Campaign of U.S. against DPRK KCNA 15 Oct 2016 -- Shocked by the growing nuclear muscle of the DPRK, the Obama administration has gone reckless in its anti-DPRK campaign.
- Russian Security Forces Detain N Korean Fishing Vessel After Violent Clash Sputnik 16 Oct 2016 -- The Russian Federal Security Service (FSB) detained a North Korean vessel for illegal fishing in the exclusive Russian economic zone in the Sea of Japan, killing at least one crew member, the body said in a statement.
- Chinese envoy calls for stronger Int'l response to foreign terrorist fighters People's Daily 15 Oct 2016 -- A Chinese envoy on Tuesday called for a stronger response from the international community to counter the cross-border movement of foreign terrorist fighters.
- 2 Turkish military officials detained in Greece Press TV 15 Oct 2016 -- Greek police have detained two Turkish military officials found in a car belonging to a smuggler of refugees.
- Turkmenistan Will Hold Presidential Election In February RFE/RL 15 Oct 2016 -- Turkmenistan will hold a presidential vote on February 12, state media reported on October 12.
- Ghana Electoral Body Denies Candidates' Disqualifications Politically Motivated VOA 15 Oct 2016 -- The Electoral Commission of Ghana sharply rejected accusations that its decision to disqualify presidential candidates from participating in the December 7 general election was politically motivated.
- Analysts Urge 'Soft Landing' to Post-Mugabe Transition in Zimbabwe VOA 15 Oct 2016 -- Zimbabwe is in flux. There are regular protests, especially in the capital, over currency and food shortages, unemployment, and alleged government corruption and mismanagement.
- Malawi Government Announces President Mutharika's Return Sunday VOA 15 Oct 2016 -- Malawi's government has announced that President Arthur Peter Mutharika will return to the country Sunday – weeks after attending the U.N. General Assembly meeting of heads of state and government in New York last month.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|