08 October 2016 Military News
- Majlis Podcast: What Is Happening In Kunduz, And Why Again? RFE/RL 08 Oct 2016 -- The northern Afghan city of Kunduz is under assault again, a year after it was briefly captured by the Taliban. Tens of thousands of civilians have been forced to flee as the Afghan military and Taliban militants fight it out on the streets.
- US Commander Visits Embattled Southern Afghan City VOA 08 Oct 2016 -- The commander of U.S.-led international forces in Afghanistan together with the country's defense minister Saturday traveled to a nearly besieged southern Afghan city and assured residents they would not let it fall to the Taliban.
- Department of Defense's Preparation, Support, and Recovery Efforts for Hurricane Matthew DoD 08 Oct 2016 -- The Department of Defense continues to monitor Hurricane Matthew closely in order to assess impacts on installations and personnel and to be prepared to provide assistance if needed.
- JTF-Bravo deploys for disaster relief in Haiti AFNS 08 Oct 2016 -- Approximately 200 Soldiers, Airmen and Marines from Special Purpose Marine Air-Ground Task Force-Southern Command and Joint Task Force-Bravo deployed this week with two CH-53E Super Stallions, three CH-47 Chinooks, two UH-60L Black Hawks, and two HH-60L Black Hawks to provide heavy and medium lift to support the U.S. Agency for International Development-led mission to alleviate human suffering and bolster Haitian disaster response capabilities.
- USS Iwo Jima, 24th MEU Deploy to Haiti for Hurricane Matthew HA/DR Missions NNS 08 Oct 2016 -- The amphibious assault ship USS Iwo Jima (LHD 7) along with more than 500 Marines from the 24th Marine Expeditionary Unit will get underway today from Norfolk, headed for Haiti to support Humanitarian Assistance/Disaster Relief (HA/DR) missions in the wake of Hurricane Matthew.
- USS Mesa Verde's Medical Team Prepares for Haiti NNS 08 Oct 2016 -- The amphibious transport dock ship USS Mesa Verde (LPD 19) conducted a mass casualty drill in preparation to support humanitarian and disaster relief efforts in Haiti, Oct. 7.
- Guard Members Support Civil Authorities as Matthew Batters Southeast Coast AFPS 08 Oct 2016 -- Florida National Guard members began aerial and ground search-and-rescue operations yesterday as Hurricane Matthew continued to move northward, pummeling the U.S. southeastern coast with heavy rains and wind.
- South Carolina National Guard Assists in Lifesaving Mission AFPS 08 Oct 2016 -- Soldiers with the South Carolina National Guard responded to an emergency services request to assist with transportation after a 911 call here today, as flood waters rise throughout the state's lowcountry, restricting access to citizens who remain behind.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Russia says considering restoring Soviet-era military bases in Cuba, Vietnam Press TV 08 Oct 2016 -- Russia says it is considering the possibility of resuming its military presence in Vietnam and Cuba, more than a decade after it withdrew from the two countries as a result of the demise of the Soviet Union.
- Russia deploys Iskander-M missile systems on western border Press TV 08 Oct 2016 -- The Russian Defense Ministry has announced the deployment of Iskander-M missile systems in Russia's westernmost region of Kaliningrad, near its border with the Baltic countries and NATO member states.
- Russia Moves Nuclear-Capable Missiles Into Kaliningrad RFE/RL 08 Oct 2016 -- The Russian Defense Ministry has confirmed the movement of nuclear-capable missiles into Kaliningrad, a tiny Russian exclave on the Baltic coast between Poland and Lithuania.
- Russia Made No Secret of Sending Iskander Missile Systems to Kaliningrad - MoD Sputnik 08 Oct 2016 -- Russian Defense Ministry spokesman said that Moscow made no secret of sending Iskander missile systems to Russia's Kaliningrad region as their moving within the country is a standard army practice.
- Duma OKs indefinite presence of Russian troops in Syria Press TV 07 Oct 2016 -- The lower house of the Russian parliament has ratified an agreement with the Damascus government that allows Russian troops to stay indefinitely in Syria as Moscow is battling foreign-sponsored Takfiri militants in the conflict-ridden Arab country.
- Iran might prevents Daesh war from spreading to Persian Gulf: IRGC Navy Press TV 08 Oct 2016 -- The second-in-command of Iran's Islamic Revolution Guards Corps (IRGC) Navy says the country's might, capability, wisdom and self-restraint have barred supporters of Daesh terrorists from spreading war to the Persian Gulf.
- Polish Army Ready to Protect Country Amid Russian Missile Deployment Sputnik 08 Oct 2016 -- Poland's armed forces are ready to protect the country, Defense Minister Antoni Macierewicz said Saturday, commenting on the reports of Russia's deployment of Iskander-M mobile missile systems in the Kaliningrad region.
- 2,300 UK maritime forces take part in exercise with Albania UK MOD 08 Oct 2016 -- Around 2,300 UK maritime personnel have taken part in a joint exercise with Albania as part of increasing cooperation.
- Saudi jets hit funeral in Yemeni capital, 140 killed Press TV 08 Oct 2016 -- Saudi warplanes have carried out airstrikes against the Yemeni capital Sana'a, targeting a crowded funeral ceremony.
- Saudi jets kill Yemenis amid cholera outbreak Press TV 08 Oct 2016 -- New Saudi airstrikes against various areas across Yemen have taken the lives of seven more civilians, while Yemeni counteroffensives saw a missile being fired at the kingdom's southwest.
- Senior Yemen's Military Official Killed in Clashes With Houthi Rebels Sputnik 08 Oct 2016 -- One of the top generals in the forces loyal to Yemeni President Abd Rabbuh Mansur Hadi's government, commander of Yemen's third military district, was killed together with several accompanying servicemen in a clash with the Houthi forces in the west of the Marib province, according to a source.
- Houthi Rebels Carry Out Ballistic Missile Attack Against Saudi Arabia Sputnik 08 Oct 2016 -- Houthis rebels from war-torn Yemen launched attack with a ballistic missile on the territory of Saudi Arabia, according to official statement of the military command of the Saudi-led Arab Coalition in Yemen.
- Turkish Army Destroys 82 Daesh Targets in Northern Syria Sputnik 08 Oct 2016 -- A total of 119 settlements in Syria were cleared of terrorists during the Turkish military operation, according to the statement of Turkey's General Staff.
- Rivaling Syria peace resolutions vetoed in UNSC Press TV 08 Oct 2016 -- Russia has vetoed a French-drafted UNSC resolution calling for the immediate halting of anti-terror airstrikes in Syria's Aleppo.
- Russia Blocks French UN Security Council Ceasefire Resolution on Syria's Aleppo Sputnik 08 Oct 2016 -- On Saturday, Russia blocked a draft UN Security Council resolution on the cessation of hostilities in Syria's Aleppo favoring a proposal by the UN Envoy to Syria that focuses on evicting al-Nusra terrorists (al-Qaeda) from Eastern Aleppo.
- Russia's UN Resolution on Peace, Ousting Al-Nusra From Syria's Aleppo Fails Sputnik 08 Oct 2016 -- Russia's proposed United Nations Security Council resolution which called for Al-Nusra Front terrorists (al-Qaeda) to be evacuated from the city of Aleppo in order to advance peace failed with several Western countries refusing to support it.
- Security Council fails to adopt resolutions on ending violence in war-torn Syria's eastern Aleppo UN News 08 Oct 2016 -- The United Nations Security Council today failed to adopt two resolutions to end the bloodshed in Syria's besieged eastern Aleppo.
- Russia Blocks Aleppo Cease-fire Resolution at UN VOA 08 Oct 2016 -- Russia on Saturday vetoed a draft U.N. Security Council resolution seeking to end the deadly bombing of Aleppo, Syria.
- Syrian army recaptures towns, villages in Hama Press TV 08 Oct 2016 -- Syrian government forces and their allies recapture several towns and villages in Hama province, pushing back militants who had made significant advances in the area in recent weeks.
- Syrian Army Comes Close to Eastern Aleppo From North Sputnik 08 Oct 2016 -- Syrian armed forces came close to the eastern neighborhoods of Aleppo from the north, according to a source in the Syrian militia.
- Iraqi forces liberate more Daesh-held areas, advance towards Mosul Press TV 08 Oct 2016 -- Pro-government forces in Iraq have been making further advances against militants as more forces are mobilized to start an operation to push Daesh Takifir terrorists out of their last stronghold, Mosul.
- Amid Furor Over Lewd Remarks, Trump Vows Not To Quit Race RFE/RL 08 Oct 2016 -- Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump has rejected calls from leading Republicans for him to quit the election race after a decade-old recording emerged with him speaking in vulgar terms and women and boasting that he could "grab them" and "do anything" because he was "a star."
- Latest Leaks Show Clinton Has Different Public, Private Views On Trade RFE/RL 08 Oct 2016 -- Leaked documents published by Wikileaks show that U.S. Democratic presidential candidate Hillary Clinton has advocated in private for free trade and open borders in a way that contradicts public pledges she has made to voters.
- Georgian Dream Declares Victory In Parliamentary Elections RFE/RL 08 Oct 2016 -- The Georgian Dream party has declared victory in parliamentary elections shortly after polls closed on October 8 in the former Soviet republic.
- Russia Says U.S. Election-Hacking Allegations Just 'Dirty Tricks' RFE/RL 08 Oct 2016 -- Moscow has accused the United States of "dirty tricks" to whip up "unprecedented anti-Russian hysteria" through what it claims are unsubstantiated allegations that Russia was behind computer hacks against Democratic Party groups ahead of U.S. elections.
- Russia Dismisses US Hacking Allegations as 'Election Campaign Instrument' VOA 08 Oct 2016 -- Muscovites reacted defensively and with cynicism Saturday after the U.S. government officially accused Russia of being the most likely culprit in recent hackings of U.S. political organizations.
- US cyber attack claims aimed at Russiophobia: Moscow Press TV 18 Oct 2016 -- Russia has dismissed the US accusations of attempting to interfere in the 2016 elections, stressing that such baseless claims are just aimed at fanning "unprecedented anti-Russian hysteria."
- 3 Suspects Detained, 1 at Large in Possible German Bomb Plot VOA 08 Oct 2016 -- German police searched Saturday for a Syrian man after receiving intelligence that he was planning a bombing attack.
- President calls for resumption of cross-strait dialogue CNA 08 Oct 2016 -- President Tsai Ing-wen (蔡英文) on Saturday called on China to resume official dialogue with Taiwan soon, saying that she has shown a high level of goodwill toward Beijing, as demonstrated in her inaugural address.
- President urged to clarify China policy in National Day talk CNA 08 Oct 2016 -- With National Day just two days away, politicians across the political spectrum urged President Tsai Ing-wen (蔡英文) on Saturday to use her National Day address to explain her policy on cross-Taiwan Strait relations.
- Foreign Ministry Spokesman Rejects U.S. Fictitious Story about "Abduction of American by North Korea" KCNA 08 Oct 2016 -- A spokesman for the Foreign Ministry of the DPRK gave the following answer to a question raised by KCNA Saturday as regards the fact that the U.S. is building up public opinion over the "story about abduction of American by north Korea".
- DPRK Will Make Efforts for Denuclearization of World KCNA 08 Oct 2016 -- The representative of the DPRK made a speech at the First Committee of the 71st UN General Assembly on October 6.
- U.S. Poses Nuclear Threat to DPRK with Flight of B-1B KCNA 08 Oct 2016 -- Despite the strong warnings of the Korean people and the world public, the U.S. imperialists' reckless military scheme to mount a "preemptive nuclear strike" at the DPRK has reached a grave phase that can no longer be overlooked.
- US root cause of mischief in Persian Gulf: Iran commander Press TV 08 Oct 2016 -- A senior commander of Iran's Islamic Revolution Guards Corps (IRGC) says the United States is not authorized to interfere in the affairs of West Asia and the Persian Gulf, stressing that Washington is the root cause of mischief in the region.
- Iran: EU document positive but partly unrealistic Press TV 08 Oct 2016 -- Iran has cautiously welcomed an EU resolution on the future of the bloc's relations with Tehran but said the document also contains some "unrealistic points" about the country.
- US eases more sanctions against Iran after nuclear deal Press TV 08 Oct 2016 -- The United States has announced new measures further easing sanctions on Iran following last year's landmark nuclear agreement.
- Kremlin Directs Rosneft To Buy Bashneft, Retaining State Control RFE/RL 08 Oct 2016 -- The Russian government has directed the Rosneft state oil company to acquire a majority stake in the Bashneft regional oil firm, calling into question whether the sale amounts to a "privatization" as advertised by the Kremlin.
- Bahrain forces attack mourning Shias Press TV 08 Oct 2016 -- Bahraini security forces have once again attacked Shia Muslims holding mourning rituals during the Muslim month of Muharram.
- Nigerian state bans main Shia group led by Zakzaky Press TV 08 Oct 2016 -- The Nigerian state of Kaduna has declared a mainstream Shia group led by Sheikh Ibrahim Zakzaky as illegal as a state crackdown against the Muslim community continues.
- Egypt appeals court ruling on Red Sea islands Press TV 08 Oct 2016 -- An Egyptian court has begun hearing a government appeal against a lower court ruling that rejected Cairo's handover of two Red Sea islands to Saudi Arabia.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|