06 October 2016 Military News
- OIF / OND / OEF / OIR / OFS Casualty Update 06 Oct 2016 [PDF]
- Department of Defense Press Briefing by Pentagon Press Secretary Peter Cook in the Pentagon Briefing Room DoD 06 Oct 2016 -- Presenter: Pentagon Press Secretary Peter Cook
- Military Strikes Hit ISIL Terrorists in Syria, Iraq AFPS 06 Oct 2016 -- U.S. and coalition military forces continued to attack Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant terrorists in Syria and Iraq yesterday, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials reported today.
- ISIL Fighters Are 'Dead Men Walking' in Mosul, Raqqa, Work Says AFPS 06 Oct 2016 -- The defeat of the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant is certain, Deputy Defense Secretary Bob Work said today.
- Update: air strikes against Daesh UK MOD 06 Oct 2016 -- British forces have continued to conduct air operations in the fight against Daesh
- UN: Humanitarian Situation Rapidly Deteriorating in Kunduz VOA 06 Oct 2016 -- The United Nations says it is deeply concerned about the rapidly deteriorating humanitarian situation for civilians still trapped in the conflict-hit northern Afghan city of Kunduz, while thousands of others have fled their homes with few possessions.
- South Carolina, Florida Guard Prepare for Hurricane Matthew AFPS 06 Oct 2016 -- As Hurricane Matthew barrels toward the southeastern United States today, additional National Guard members in South Carolina and Florida are assisting in disaster-relief preparations and plans for recovery.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Future USS Zumwalt to Depart Norfolk for Baltimore NNS 06 Oct 2016 -- The future USS Zumwalt (DDG 1000) is scheduled to depart Naval Station Norfolk Oct. 7 and complete a one-day transit to Baltimore, Md., where it will be commissioned into active service on Oct. 15, during Fleet Week Maryland.
- Goldfein: Committed to joint warfighting AFNS 06 Oct 2016 -- Air Force Chief of Staff Gen. Dave Goldfein addressed a standing room only crowd during a multi-domain battle contemporary forum at the Association of the U.S. Army Annual Meeting and Exposition at the Walter E. Washington Convention Center here Oct. 4. He was one of a panel of presenters made up of senior leaders from all the services as well as one from the Australian Army.
- Navy Conducts Restrained Missile Firing Test for LCS Surface-to-Surface Missile Module NNS 06 Oct 2016 -- Program Executive Office for Littoral Combat Ships (PEO LCS) successfully completed a restrained firing test of the Longbow Hellfire missile for the LCS Surface-to-Surface Missile Module (SSMM), the Navy announced Oct. 6.
- John C. Stennis Passes ULTRA-S NNS 06 Oct 2016 -- Aircraft carrier USS John C. Stennis (CVN 74) completed its Unit Level Training Assessment-Sustainment (ULTRA-S) prior to returning to Naval Base Kitsap-Bremerton, Oct. 6.
- USNS Grasp, DPAA Begin Recovery Mission NNS 06 Oct 2016 -- U.S. Navy divers assigned to Mobile Diving Salvage Unit (MDSU) 2 and civilian members from Military Sealift Command rescue and salvage ship USNS Grasp (T-ARS 51) began operations Sept. 23 in support of a Defense Personnel Accounting Agency (DPAA) mission off the coast of Montalto di Castro, Italy.
- Navy Holds Industry Day on Large Displacement Unmanned Undersea Vehicle Program NNS 06 Oct 2016 -- The Navy's Unmanned Maritime Systems program office and the Naval Undersea Warfare Center (NUWC) Division Newport recently hosted an industry information day as the government develops its acquisition strategy for the Large Displacement Unmanned Undersea Vehicle (LDUUV) program.
- US, Oman, Bahrain, UAE Participate in VBSS Exchange NNS 06 Oct 2016 -- The U.S. Coast Guard Maritime Engagement Team (MET) with the Omani, United Arab Emirati and Bahraini Coast Guards participated in a 10-day visit board search and seizure (VBSS) subject matter expert exchange (SMEE) at Naval Support Activity (NSA) Bahrain, Sept. 18-29.
- NATO welcomes deepening cooperation with the Republic of Korea NATO 06 Oct 2016 -- NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg welcomed Foreign Minister Yun Byung-se of the Republic of Korea to NATO Headquarters for the first time on Thursday (6 October 2016). The two leaders discussed how to deepen the Alliance's partnership with Seoul, their continued commitment to Afghanistan, and shared concerns over North Korea.
- Moscow Ready to Review NATO's More Specified Arms Control Concept Sputnik 06 Oct 2016 -- Moscow is ready to deliberate the North Atlantic Treaty Organization's (NATO) new arms control concept as soon as more specific language is introduced to the proposal, the head of the Russian Foreign Ministry's European Cooperation Department said Thursday.
- Russian Military Denies Violation of Finland's Airspace by Su-27 Fighter Jet Sputnik 06 Oct 2016 -- The Russian Defense Ministry denied reports of violation of the Finnish airspace by a Su-27 fighter jet on Thursday.
- Russian Tu-95 and Tu-22M3 Bombers to Patrol Airspace Between Hawaii and Japan Sputnik 06 Oct 2016 -- A new division of Tu-95MS and Tu-22M3 strategic bombers will soon appear in the Russian Far East to patrol the area over the Pacific Ocean inside the Japan – Hawaii – Guam triangle, Izvestia reported.
- Russia redeploys warships to Mediterranean amid escalating Syria crisis Press TV 05 Oct 2016 -- Russia says two of its Buyan-class missile corvettes are heading back to join its forces stationed in the Mediterranean Sea as the conflict in Syria deepens following the US suspension of contacts with Moscow over the Syrian crisis.
- In US' Footsteps, Germany Plans Military Base in Niger Sputnik 06 Oct 2016 -- A week after the US confirmed that it is building a military base in Niger, Germany has announced plans for a base of its own in the impoverished West African nation.
- Taiwan welcomes new declaration on export, use of UAVs CNA 06 Oct 2016 -- Taiwan welcomed a joint declaration issued by the United States and more than 40 other countries on Wednesday, laying out principles to govern the export and use of armed unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs).
- IRGC commander: No country dares to attack Iran IRNA 06 Oct 2016 -- Commander of the Islamic Revolution Guards Corps (IRGC) Major General Mohammad Ali Jafari underlined the Iranian Armed Forces' readiness to defend the country against the foreign enemies.
- IRGC Cmdr: Raising deterrence power a duty for all IRNA 06 Oct 2016 -- Commander of the Islamic Revolution Guards Corps (IRGC) Navy force General Ali Fadavi said on Wednesday that increasing the power of deterrence is a duty for all in the present critical situation.
- UK govt. slammed for building subs with French steel Press TV 05 Oct 2016 -- UK Defense Minister Michael Fallon has kicked off the building of new nuclear-capable submarines, despite public outrage over their costs and the material used to build them.
- Indonesia goes ahead with massive drills near South China Sea Press TV 06 Oct 2016 -- Indonesian Air Force has intensified its military exercises near areas claimed by China in the South China Sea, sending a signal to Beijing about Jakarta's full sovereignty over outer islands.
- October 6, 2016 - U.S. Department of State Daily Press Briefing US Dept. of State 06 Oct 2016
- Yemeni forces hit several Saudi bases with rockets Press TV 06 Oct 2016 -- Yemeni army soldiers, backed by fighters from allied Popular Committees, have struck a number of military bases in Saudi Arabia's border region of Jizan in retaliation against incessant airstrikes.
- Russia supports De Mistura's offer to escort militants out of Aleppo: Lavrov Press TV 06 Oct 2016 -- Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov has expressed Moscow's interest in a proposal put forward by UN Special Envoy for Syria Staffan de Mistura about escorting Takfiri terrorists out of the divided Syrian city of Aleppo.
- Targeting civilians not in Damascus interest: Syrian leader Press TV 06 Oct 2016 -- Syria's President Bashar al-Assad has dismissed as untrue accusations that government forces target hospitals and civilian infrastructure in the war-torn country, saying such actions run contrary to Damascus' interests.
- Syria forces seize half of militant–held district in Aleppo Press TV 06 Oct 2016 -- Syrian government forces have reportedly managed to wrest control over half of a key militant-held neighborhood in Aleppo following heavy clashes with foreign-backed militants.
- Eastern Aleppo may be 'totally destroyed' by end of year, warns UN envoy UN News 06 Oct 2016 -- Detailing the bloodshed in eastern Aleppo, where in the last two weeks, 376 people – half of them children – have been killed, 1,266 injured, hospitals destroyed, and "all sorts of ammunitions" and weapons used, the United Nations Special Envoy for Syria underscored today that this part of the iconic city may be totally destroyed in two months, leaving thousands dead and forcing countless more to flee.
- Blast kills dozens of Turkey-backed militants in Syria Press TV 06 Oct 2016 -- More than two dozen Turkish-backed militants have been killed in a powerful bomb blast that ripped through their gathering in Syria's northern province of Idlib on Thursday.
- Obama considering more sanctions against Syria Press TV 06 Oct 2016 -- US President Barack Obama is considering more sanctions against Syria that could target lower-level military officers, following the failure of US and Russian efforts to revive a failed ceasefire in the country.
- Russia Warns It May Shoot Down U.S. Aircraft If They Attack Syrian Forces RFE/RL 06 Oct 2016 -- A Russia Defense Ministry spokesman suggested that Russian antiaircraft systems may shoot down U.S. or U.S.-led coalition aircraft if they attack Syrian forces.
- US Discussions on Military Option in Syria Continue Despite Russia's Warning Sputnik 06 Oct 2016 -- Department of State spokesperson John Kirby said that the United States is still considering military options in Syria despite Russia's warning against such actions.
- White House May Consider Imposing Sanctions on Russia Over Syria Outside UN Sputnik 06 Oct 2016 -- The US may impose sanctions against Russia over situation in Syria.
- Third Russian Black Sea Fleet Missile Ship en Route to Syria Sputnik 06 Oct 2016 -- A third Russian Black Sea Fleet small missile ship has embarked on a voyage to Syria a day after two others entered the Mediterranean waters.
- Russia's Year-Long Campaign Has Freed Large Part of Syria From Terrorists Sputnik 06 Oct 2016 -- The Russian Aerospace Forces' operation has freed a large part of Syria from terrorists and stabilized the situation in the Arab state, Russian Defense Minister Sergei Shoigu said Wednesday.
- UN: Aleppo Could be 'Totally Destroyed' in Coming Months VOA 06 Oct 2016 -- The United Nations special envoy for Syria says eastern Aleppo could be "totally destroyed" by the end of the year due to the "cruel, constant" military activities in the city, where some 275,000 civilians are besieged.
- Islamic State Hold on Eastern Syria Still Strong VOA 06 Oct 2016 -- Losing territory in northern Syria and north-west Iraq, and with assaults looming on the Islamic State's city strongholds of Raqqa and Mosul, the terror group may be left next year with control just of the eastern Syrian province of Deir Ezzor. But defeating the jihadists there may prove even more difficult than overcoming them in Raqqa and Mosul, activists say.
- Iraq demands emergency Security Council session over Turkish troops Press TV 06 Oct 2016 -- Iraq has called for an emergency UN Security Council meeting over the presence of Turkish troops on its territory after warning Ankara of a new war if the soldiers are not pulled out.
- Turkish Troops Will Stay in Iraq, PM Yildirim Says Sputnik 06 Oct 2016 -- Turkish troops will remain in the camp in the northern Iraqi town of Bashiqa despite Baghdad's objections, Prime Minister Binali Yildirim said Thursday.
- Iraq to Take Military Presence Dispute With Turkey to UNSC Sputnik 06 Oct 2016 -- Baghdad has submitted a request for an emergency session at the UN Security Council to discuss Turkish troops' presence in Iraq.
- International Coalition Strikes People's Militia in Iraq Killing 18 Fighters Sputnik 06 Oct 2016 -- The head of the press center of the People's Militia in Iraq, Thu El-Fiqar Al-Baldawi spoke to Sputnik about the attack carried out by the international coalition on the People's Militia on October 5, in northern Iraq that killed 18 soldiers and injured dozens.
- Kurdish Commander in Iraq Denies Reports of US Building Military Base Near Mosul Sputnik 06 Oct 2016 -- In an interview with Sputnik, a Kurdish Peshmerga commander in Iraq, Livan Hurettin, denied earlier reports about a military base allegedly being built by the US near Bashiqa, a town 25 kilometers from Mosul.
- Libya: As situation worsens, UN envoy calls for pause in fighting near Benghazi UN News 06 Oct 2016 -- Expressing deep concern over the plight of civilians caught in the cross-fight in a Benghazi neighbourhood, a senior United Nations official in Libya has called for a humanitarian pause to allow aid to reach those in urgent need and as well as a safe passage for those who wish to leave.
- Pakistan Will Meet Indian Aggression in Kashmir with 'Most Fitting Response' VOA 06 Oct 2016 -- Pakistan's army chief is warning India any military aggression in contested Kashmir will not go unpunished.
- Indian army 'kills three militants in Kashmir' Press TV 06 Oct 2016 -- The Indian military says it has killed three suspected militants who allegedly attempted to seize an army base in the Indian-controlled Kashmir, as heightened tensions continue in the disputed Himalayan region.
- Suspected Shabab militant kills six in Kenya Press TV 06 Oct 2016 -- Half a dozen people have lost their lives in an attack by suspected the al-Qaeda-linked al-Shabab militant group in northeast Kenya.
- EU suspends Colombia fund over rejection of peace with rebels Press TV 06 Oct 2016 -- The European Union (EU) says it will withhold development funding earmarked for Colombia in the wake of the Colombian people's rejection of a government peace deal with the South American country's main rebel group in a referendum.
- Colombia's Former Leader Uribe Says New Peace Agreement With FARC Coming Sputnik 06 Oct 2016 -- Colombia's former president Alvaro Uribe has stressed that the country's current leadership will strive to reach a new agreement with the Revolutionary Armed forces of Colombia.
- Stalled peace process, fresh ceasefire violations undermine Mali's stability, warns UN peacekeeping chief UN News 06 Oct 2016 -- Citing a lack of progress on the peace process in Mali, the United Nations peacekeeping chief today warned that the UN mission there would not be able to fully carry out its mandate as long as the signatories to the peace agreement do not resolutely engage in its implementation.
- Israeli tanks fire on besieged Palestinian Gaza Strip Press TV 06 Oct 2016 -- Israeli tanks shell the besieged Gaza Strip after an alleged rocket attack from the Palestinians in the coastal sliver targeted the occupied territories.
- Israeli Fighter Jet Malfunction Leaves Pilot Dead, Navigator Injured Sputnik 06 Oct 2016 -- According to the Israeli military, one of its pilots was killed following a strike mission over the Gaza Strip.
- Renewed fighting leaves 11 dead, 14 missing in CAR capital Press TV 06 Oct 2016 -- Violent clashes have left eleven people dead in the Central African Republic's (CAR) capital, Bangui, over the past days following the assassination of an army commander.
- Security Council recommends former Prime Minister of Portugal Guterres as next UN Secretary-General UN News 06 Oct 2016 -- The Security Council today formally chose the former Prime Minister of Portugal, António Guterres, as its nominee to be the next Secretary-General of the United Nations for a five-year term when incumbent Ban Ki-moon steps down on 31 December.
- Portugal's Guterres Confirmed as Next UN Chief VOA 06 Oct 2016 -- The U.N. Security Council has formally endorsed Portugal's former prime minister Antonio Guterres as the next U.N. Secretary-General.
- Brooklyn Resident and Two Russian Nationals Arrested in Connection with Scheme to Illegally Export Controlled Technology to Russia US Dept. of Justice 06 Oct 2016 -- Defendants Used Brooklyn-Based Front Companies to Procure Sophisticated Military and Satellite Technology on Behalf of Russian End-Users
- Six Fort Campbell Soldiers and Two Others Charged with Stealing and Selling Sensitive Military Equipment US Dept. of Justice 06 Oct 2016 -- Eight individuals, including six Fort Campbell soldiers, were indicted by a federal grand jury in Nashville, Tennessee, yesterday and charged in connection with a conspiracy to steal sensitive U.S. Army equipment which was ultimately sold and shipped to anonymous eBay bidders, including some located in foreign nations.
- Russian Foreign Minister Lavrov Holds Press Conference With French Counterpart Sputnik 06 Oct 2016 -- Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov and his French counterpart Jean-Marc Ayrault have held a press conference on topical issues including the Syrian crisis.
- Russian Foreign Ministry Spokeswoman Zakharova Holds Weekly Press Briefing Sputnik 06 Oct 2016 -- Russian Foreign Ministry spokeswoman Maria Zakharova held her weekly press briefing on Thursday, covering such topics as the US-Russia relations and the situation in Syria.
- US-Russia Relations Go from Reset to Retrograde VOA 06 Oct 2016 -- Russia on Wednesday suspended a three-year-old agreement with the United States on cooperation on nuclear and energy-related research – the latest move signifying a deteriorating bilateral relationship.
- President underlines ties with diplomatic allies CNA 06 Oct 2016 -- President Tsai Ing-wen (蔡英文) said on Thursday that since she took office in May, she has attached great importance to Taiwan's relationships with its diplomatic allies and wants the world to feel the cordial and sincere hand of friendship extended by Taiwan.
- Taiwan accuses China of 'politicizing' tourism CNA 06 Oct 2016 -- Taiwan's Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) said Thursday the government will not accept China's policy of dividing Taiwan into "pan-blue" and "pan-green" areas based on which Chinese visitors follow a "politicized" schedule while traveling around the island.
- Foreign Ministry Spokesman Blasts Obama Group's Racket for Sanctions and Pressure upon DPRK KCNA 06 Oct 2016 -- A spokesman for the Foreign Ministry of the DPRK issued a statement on Thursday in connection with the fact that the Obama group's racket for sanctions and pressure on the DPRK has reached an extreme phase.
- Official: Iran to send 3 satellites into orbit by yearend IRNA 06 Oct 2016 -- Head of the Iranian Space Agency Mohsen Bahrami said that Iran will launch three domestically-built satellites into orbit by the end of next Iranian year (will end March 20, 2018).
- Arianespace Successfully Launches Ariane 5 Rocket With 2 Satellites Sputnik 06 Oct 2016 -- An Ariane 5 rocket has successfully lifted off from the Guiana Space Center in French Guiana with two satellites.
- Haiti officials postpone election amid destruction by hurricane Press TV 06 Oct 2016 -- Authorities in Haiti have postponed the presidential election, initially scheduled for October 9, amid destruction caused by Hurricane Matthew in the southwestern part of the country.
- Georgia Vote Emerges As Proxy Battle RFE/RL 06 Oct 2016 -- With opinion polls suggesting no party will win a clear majority, the political giants behind Georgia's two leading political forces have taken center stage to talk up their respective parties' chances in this weekend's national elections.
- Mugabe Opens Zimbabwe Parliament VOA 06 Oct 2016 -- President Robert Mugabe addressed the new session of Zimbabwe's parliament Thursday. All eyes were on the 92-year-old leader, watching for clues to the state of his health and listening for any response he might give to the recent protests against his government.
- Chinese-built railway to boost economy, technology transfer: Ethiopian official People's Daily 06 Oct 2016 -- The Chinese-built Ethiopia-Djibouti railway project will have significant contribution to the two east African countries' economic development and technology transfer, an Ethiopian official has said.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|