04 October 2016 Military News
- OIF / OND / OEF / OIR / OFS Casualty Update 04 Oct 2016 [PDF]
- Department of Defense Press Briefing by Pentagon Press Secretary Peter Cook in the Pentagon Briefing Room DoD 04 Oct 2016 -- Presenter: Pentagon Press Secretary Peter Cook
- Military Strikes Continue Against ISIL Terrorists in Syria, Iraq AFPS 04 Oct 2016 -- U.S. and coalition military forces continued to attack Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant terrorists in Syria and Iraq yesterday, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials reported today.
- Pentagon: Airstrikes hit Daesh positions in Libya Press TV 04 Oct 2016 -- The Pentagon claims that US military aircraft has struck Daesh positions in the Takfiri group's former stronghold in Sirte, Libya.
- Bulgarian Defense Minister Denies Plans to Withdraw Troops From Afghanistan Sputnik 04 Oct 2016 -- Bulgarian Defense Minister Nikolai Nenchev said Tuesday that Bulgaria would not withdraw its military contingent from Afghanistan, rejecting an earlier statement by the Balkan state's prime minister.
- Afghan Forces Retake Control of Kunduz VOA 04 Oct 2016 -- Afghan security forces have pushed back the Taliban to the edges of the northern city of Kunduz, a day after the insurgents fought their way into the provincial capital and briefly captured parts of it.
- UNHCR: More Than 100,000 Afghan Refugees Repatriated in 5 Weeks VOA 04 Oct 2016 -- The United Nations says more than 200,000 Afghan refugees have returned to their war-torn country from Pakistan this year, more than half of them within the past five weeks, despite intensification in Taliban-led hostilities in Afghanistan.
Defense Policy / Programs
- GWHB Completes TSTA/FEP NNS 04 Oct 2016 -- Aircraft carrier USS George H. W. Bush (CVN 77) returned to Norfolk after completing Tailored Ship's Training Availability/Final Evaluation Problem (TSTA/FEP), Oct. 3.
- Work Details Multidomain Battlefield of the Future AFPS 04 Oct 2016 -- Fighting and winning on a multidomain battlefield must be the focus for the U.S. military moving forward, Deputy Defense Secretary Bob Work said at the Association of the U.S. Army's annual meeting here today.
- Marines Wrap Up Exercise Island Viper USMC News 04 Oct 2016 -- Marines with Charlie Company, 1st Battalion, 3rd Marine Regiment, conducted patrols and room clearing through Military Operations in Urban Terrain facilities, part of Exercise Island Viper aboard Marine Corps Training Area Bellows on Sept. 29.
- USS Coronado enters 7th Fleet prepared to operate with allied, partner navies NNS 04 Oct 2016 -- The littoral combat ship (LCS) USS Coronado (LCS 4) arrived in the 7th Fleet area of responsibility (AOR), Oct. 3, while on its maiden deployment to Southeast Asia.
- Frank Cable Departs Subic Bay NNS 04 Oct 2016 -- Submarine tender USS Frank Cable (AS 40) departed Subic Bay, Republic of the Philippines, Sept. 30 after a successful port visit.
- US, Philippines begin war games amid doubts over alliance Press TV 04 Oct 2016 -- The US and the Philippines have launched their annual military drills, even as the Philippine president has called for an end to such maneuvers.
- US warships make first visit to Vietnam in decades Press TV 04 Oct 2016 -- Two US Navy warships have docked at a Vietnamese naval base, the first such port call since the normalization of relations 21 years ago.
- Why Does Russia Need More Missiles in Syria? VOA 04 Oct 2016 -- The Pentagon is questioning Russia's decision to add more air defense missiles to its military operation in Syria.
- Russian Defense Ministry Confirms Work on 5th-Generation Nuclear Sub Sputnik 04 Oct 2016 -- Deputy Defense Minister Yuri Borisov confirmed on Tuesday that Russia had begun work on the preliminary design of a fifth-generation nuclear-powered multipurpose submarine.
- Russia deploys S-300 missile defense system to Syria Press TV 04 Oct 2016 -- Moscow says it has deployed the S-300 surface-to-air missile defense system to Syria in a bid to defend Russia's naval base and vessels.
- Pentagon to Track Installations of S-300 Defense Systems by Russia in Syria Sputnik 04 Oct 2016 -- According to the US Department of Defense spokesperson, the US will carefully track installation of S-300 air defense systems in Syria.
- Russia Deploys S-300 Missile Battery in Syria to Protect Naval Assets Sputnik 04 Oct 2016 -- A battery of S-300 air defense systems has been delivered to Syria to protect a naval base in the port of Tartus as well as Russian warships deployed off the Syrian coast, the Russian Defense Ministry said Tuesday.
- Russia Confirms Deployment Of S-300 Air Defense Missiles To Syria RFE/RL 04 Oct 2016 -- Russia's Defense Ministry has confirmed that it has deployed an S-300 antiaircraft missile system to its Mediterranean naval base at Tartus, Syria.
- Government to protect Armed Forces from persistent legal claims in future overseas operations UK MOD 04 Oct 2016 -- The Government will protect our Armed Forces from persistent legal claims by introducing a presumption to derogate from the European Convention on Human Rights (ECHR) in future conflicts, the Prime Minister and the Defence Secretary have announced.
- UK to opt out of European Convention on Human Rights Press TV 04 Oct 2016 -- British military forces will soon be allowed to violate European human rights laws on the battlefield, a move that according to UK Prime Minister Theresa May protects them from "vexatious" legal claims.
- India to Start Production of Its Tejas Mark 1A Fighter Jet by 2021 Sputnik 04 Oct 2016 -- India has yet to produce a working 5th generation aircraft, but it's working towards it.
- India Mulls Rafale or Gripen Combat Aircraft Over F-16 Sputnik 04 Oct 2016 -- India is looking to fully produce and own the technology behind its next round of fighter jets to be produced in the country.
- Pentagon official proposes four defense strategies for Taiwan CNA 04 Oct 2016 -- A Pentagon official proposed four strategies for Taiwan to beef up its defense capabilities in the face of a growing military threat from China, including making efforts to prioritize national defense resources and developing elite forces.
- Press Briefing by Press Secretary Josh Earnest, 10/4/2016 The White House 04 Oct 2016
- DoD News: Contracts for October 04, 2016
- Germany to Suspend Production of Eurofighter Jets Sputnik 04 Oct 2016 -- After twenty years in service, the Eurofighter aircraft may be temporarily or permanently withdrawn from the German market, German newspaper Die Welt wrote.
- 4 October 2016 - Daily Press Briefing by the Office of the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General United Nations 04 Oct 2016
- Indonesia holds biggest drill in South China Sea Press TV 04 Oct 2016 -- Indonesian officials say the country is holding its largest military exercise near some of the disputed islands in the South China Sea.
- 'The best humanitarian relief is to end the conflict,' UN aid chief says in war-torn Yemen UN News 04 Oct 2016 -- Concluding a three-day mission to Yemen, the United Nations Emergency Relief Coordinator today called on all warring parties to grant humanitarian access and uphold their responsibilities to protect civilians in a conflict that has injured and killed thousands of innocent civilians, and displaced some three million people.
- Yemen's Houthis, allies set conditions for possible talks Press TV 04 Oct 2016 -- Yemen's Houthi Ansarullah movement and the General People's Congress (GPC) party of the former president, Ali Abdullah Saleh, have set conditions for the resumption of talks to end the Saudi aggression against the impoverished country.
- Yemeni Navy 'to target intruding vessels' Press TV 04 Oct 2016 -- The Yemeni Navy has warned Saudi Arabia and its regional allies against deploying military vessels to Yemen's territorial waters in the strategic Red Sea and the Gulf of Aden, saying it would hit any such intruding vessels.
- Weakened IS May Find Havens in Rural Iraq, Syria VOA 04 Oct 2016 -- If expected military offensives rout the Islamic State group from the cities that are its strongholds in Syria and Iraq, military analysts and Kurdish commanders say the extremists would establish bases in rural areas to further their regional terrorism.
- Turkey May Send Jets for Possible Operation to Free Raqqa From Daesh Sputnik 04 Oct 2016 -- Ankara may send warplanes to participate in an operation to liberate the Syrian city of Raqqa from Daesh.
- Russia has own UN resolution amid Syria debate Press TV 04 Oct 2016 -- Moscow has urged the United Nations (UN) to adopt a Russian-drafted resolution targeting propaganda used by extremist groups to radicalize people around the world.
- Kerry Says Russia 'Knows What It Needs To Do' To Reach Truce In Syria RFE/RL 04 Oct 2016 -- U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry says Russia "knows what it has to do" to get a cessation of hostilities in Syria, but that it refuses to take the necessary steps.
- US Responsible for Failed Syria Ceasefire - Russian Defense Ministry Sputnik 04 Oct 2016 -- According to the Russian Defense Ministry, the US has failed in implementing the new Syrian truce deal with Russia.
- Russia Regrets Suspension of Syria Ties With US, Hopes Contacts Will Continue Sputnik 04 Oct 2016 -- Moscow regrets the suspension of cooperation on Syria by Washington and hopes that the countries will continue contacts on the issue.
- Aleppo demands 'bold action,' including limiting use of Security Council veto - UN rights chief UN News 04 Oct 2016 -- The human rights calamity unfolding in Syria's eastern Aleppo city demands bold new initiatives, including proposals to "limit the use of the veto" by the permanent members of the Security Council, the top United Nations human rights official declared today.
- Kerry Criticizes Russia for Supporting Syria's Assad VOA 04 Oct 2016 -- U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry criticized Russia for its "irresponsible and profoundly ill-advised decision" to support Syrian President Bashar al-Assad and said efforts to end the Syrian war must continue, despite the suspension of U.S.-Russian talks on a cease-fire.
- UN Official Calls for Security Council Veto Limit to Halt Syrian Bloodbath VOA 04 Oct 2016 -- The United Nations' top human rights official has called for limits on the use of the veto power by the U.N. Security Council's five permanent members to halt the tragedy unfolding in east Aleppo in northern Syria.
- IS Plans Widespread Destruction in Mosul as Conditions Worsen for Residents VOA 04 Oct 2016 -- Kurdish officials say Islamic State militants are planning to meet a liberation offensive in Mosul with mass killings and widespread destruction of the historic Iraqi city.
- Iraqi PM vows imminent 'victory' against terrorists in Mosul Press TV 04 Oct 2016 -- Iraqi Prime Minister Haider al-Abadi has pledged triumph in the near future over terrorists in the northern city of Mosul, the last major city under control of the Daesh Takfiri terrorist group in the Middle Eastern country.
- Turkey Fears Possible Sectarian Conflict in Iraq After Mosul Liberation - PM Sputnik 04 Oct 2016 -- Northern Iraq may suffer from a sectarian conflict after a possible liberation of Daesh stronghold of Mosul, Turkish Prime Minister Binali Yildirim said on Tuesday.
- Peace process in Colombia halted People's Daily 04 Oct 2016 -- Six days after President Juan Manuel Santos and Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia (FARC) leader Timoleon Jimenez signed a peace agreement to end 52 years of a civil war, Colombia's peace process has come to a halt.
- Colombian president vows to save peace deal Press TV 04 Oct 2016 -- Colombian President Juan Manuel Santos has pledged to save a landmark peace deal with FARC rebels after voters rejected it in a referendum which shocked many people across the nation.
- Indian authorities ban Kashmir newspaper amid unrest Press TV 04 Oct 2016 -- Authorities in Indian-administered Kashmir have banned the publication of a local newspaper after accusing it of inciting violence in the disputed Himalayan region.
- Erdogan's Territorial Claims to Greece are an 'Attempt to Manipulate Agenda' Sputnik 04 Oct 2016 -- Attempts by Turkey to seek to revise the country's borders with Greece are contradictory to international law and are unacceptable in Europe, the Greek Foreign Ministry said on Monday.
- FEATURE: Political differences, a dozen peacekeepers and two new wells in northern Haiti UN News 04 Oct 2016 -- Residents in Pilate, a remote town of some 40,000 inhabitants located on a mountain in northern Haiti, were treated to an unusual site recently: uniformed, foreign men hard at work laying concrete foundations for a well near the local hospital and school.
- Ban condemns attacks against UN mission in Mali UN News 04 Oct 2016 -- United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon has condemned yesterday's series of attacks against the UN Multidimensional Integrated Stabilization Mission in Mali (MINUSMA).
- UN peacekeeping chief urges follow-up action to consolidate peace in Darfur UN News 04 Oct 2016 -- The security situation in Darfur, Sudan, remains volatile and the humanitarian impact of the conflict significant, the top United Nations peacekeeping official said today, calling on the Government of Sudan and the international community at large to address the current challenges in the country.
- In 'national interest' for all Palestinians that elections be held in both West Bank and Gaza - UN envoy UN News 04 Oct 2016 -- Welcoming today's decision to postpone Palestinian municipal elections, the United Nations senior official coordinating efforts towards the peaceful resolution of the Israeli-Palestinian conflict called on all Palestinians to work together to resolve differences.
- Secret Yahoo Program Gave US Spy Agencies Access to Millions of Email Accounts Sputnik 04 Oct 2016 -- Under the auspices of a classified government directive, Yahoo Inc. built a secret custom software program designed to scan all of its user's incoming emails for a unique piece of information supplied directly by the National Security Agency or the FBI.
- Turkey slashes through police force Press TV 04 Oct 2016 -- Turkey has suspended 12,801 police officers from duty over suspected ties with US-based opposition cleric Fethullah Gulen, whom Ankara accuses of having masterminded a July coup in the country.
- Turkey Suspends Nearly 13,000 Police Officers Over Failed Coup RFE/RL 04 Oct 2016 -- Turkey has suspended some 12,800 police officers over their alleged links to U.S.-based Muslim cleric Fethullah Gulen.
- Turkey Suspends Over 12,800 Police Officers Over Suspected Gulen Links Sputnik 04 Oct 2016 -- The Turkish government suspended from duty on Tuesday 12,801 police officers, pending a probe into their suspected links to a terrorist group led allegedly by US-based cleric Fethullah Gulen.
- Maryland Man Awaits Hearing on Charges of Supporting IS VOA 04 Oct 2016 -- A man from the mid-Atlantic U.S. state of Maryland is being detained on federal charges in connection with a plot to attack a member of the U.S. military on behalf of the Islamic State group.
- Myanmar abolishes law meant to silence dissent by junta Press TV 04 Oct 2016 -- Myanmar's parliament has abolished a law that the former military government had excessively acted upon to suppress dissent.
- IRGC busts terror group backed by US, Israel in western Iran Press TV 04 Oct 2016 -- Iran's Islamic Revolution Guards Corps (IRGC) forces have dismantled a terrorist group, backed by the United States and the Israeli regime, in the country's west near the border with Iraq, killing all of its members.
- Iran Agrees On New Model Energy Contract, Hopes To Boost Foreign Investment RFE/RL 04 Oct 2016 -- Iran's state oil producer, National Iranian Oil Co. (NIOC), has signed a new model investment contract with an Iranian firm.
- US Move Against North Korea Seen as Unprecedented VOA 04 Oct 2016 -- After North Korea's largest-ever test of a nuclear device in early September, the United States is taking an unprecedented hardline stance to curb the reclusive regime's accelerated pursuit of nuclear development.
- Officials of Power Organs Stand in Van of Recovery Efforts KCNA 04 Oct 2016 -- Officials of power organs in flood-hit North Hamgyong Province of the DPRK have taken the lead in the recovery efforts.
- US Group Advocates Change, but Not Regime Change, in North Korea VOA 04 Oct 2016 -- Members of a U.S.-based task force are calling for Washington and its allies to change their approach to dealing with the North Korean nuclear threat, saying it is time to rethink the problem.
- Iran has plans to place 3 satellites into orbit IRNA 04 Oct 2016 -- The head of the Iranian Space Agency (ISA) Mohsen Bahrami said here on Tuesday that Iran is set to launch three indigenous satellites in future.
- Iran to launch three satellites into the space ISNA 04 Oct 2016 -- Director of the Iranian Space Agency (ISA) Mohsen Bahrami said the country will send three satellites into the space by the end of next year.
- Iran plans to launch three satellites into space Press TV 04 Oct 2016 -- Head of the Iranian Space Agency (ISA) Mohsen Bahrami says the country is planning to send three home-made satellites into space.
- Russian Envoy Says Next UN Chief Should Be Eastern European Woman RFE/RL 04 Oct 2016 -- Russia's United Nations Ambassador Vitaly Churkin said Moscow would like to see a woman and an Eastern European take the top UN job after Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon leaves next year.
- Pakistan Premier's Envoy Sees India Tensions Easing VOA 04 Oct 2016 -- Recent contacts made by the national security advisors of Pakistan and India should help de-escalate tensions between the nuclear-armed rivals over the disputed Himalayan region of Kashmir, a prominent Pakistani politician said Tuesday.
- Egypt police kill senior Muslim Brotherhood figure in raid Press TV 04 Oct 2016 -- Egyptian security forces have shot dead a senior Muslim Brotherhood leader and another member of the outlawed group in an overnight shootout at a Cairo apartment, the government says.
- Bahrain clerics slam crackdown on Shia mourners Press TV 04 Oct 2016 -- Senior clerics in Bahrain have condemned the Al Khalifah regime for its crackdown on Shia Muslims holding rituals to commemorate the martyrdom anniversary of Imam Hussein (PBUH), the third Shia Imam and the grandson of Prophet Mohammad (PBUH).
- Uzbekistan: The Suddenly Good Neighbor RFE/RL 04 Oct 2016 -- Uzbekistan's new leader, Shavkat Mirziyaev, is already making a difference in regional politics in Central Asia. In less than one month, Mirziyaev has moved to improve ties with Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, and Tajikistan, and in so doing has sparked hopes for a new era of regional cooperation.
- Philippines' Duterte to Obama: 'Go to Hell' VOA 04 Oct 2016 -- Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte has again lashed out at Barack Obama, this time telling the U.S. president that he can "go to hell."
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|