02 October 2016 Military News
- Strikes Target ISIL Terrorists in Syria, Iraq AFPS 02 Oct 2016 -- U.S. and coalition military forces continued to attack Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant terrorists in Syria and Iraq yesterday, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials reported today.
- Afghanistan: UN condemns killings of 19 civilians by explosive devices planted on roads UN News 02 Oct 2016 -- The United Nations mission in Afghanistan has condemned two improvised explosive devices (IED) detonations on civilian vehicles that killed 19 people in Helmand and Badghis provinces in recent days.
Defense Policy / Programs
- DPRK Army and People Warn U.S. Imperialists and S. Korean Puppet Forces against Risky Military Moves KCNA 02 Oct 2016 -- The recent situation on the Korean peninsula has reached the brink of a war owing to the reckless military provocations of the U.S. and the south Korean puppet forces.
- North Korea Building Massive New Ballistic Missile Submarine For Nuclear Strikes Sputnik 02 Oct 2016 -- Satellite footage suggests that the North Korean regime of Kim Jong-Un has begun development of a massive new submarine capable of launching ballistic missiles further potentially threatening the US.
- India's Lethal 1370 MPH 4.5 Generation Tejas Fighter Jet Completes Maiden Flight Sputnik 02 Oct 2016 -- India's elite indigenous fighter jet crosses a major benchmark this week ahead of being deemed combat ready providing the country with a masterful fighter jet at a fraction of the cost of Western fighter jets.
- Iran Touts New Combat Drone 5 Years After Capturing US Prototype VOA 01 Oct 2016 -- Iranian news reports say Tehran has built a new aerial attack drone similar to a U.S. military aerial vehicle captured five years ago after it entered Iranian airspace from the country's eastern border with Afghanistan.
- Saudi Arabia holds military exercises in Persian Gulf, Sea of Oman Press TV 02 Oct 2016 -- The Saudi military has held war games in the waters of Persian Gulf, the Strait of Hormuz and the Sea of Oman.
- 'Playing With Fire': Chinese General Blasts Singapore for Role in S China Sea Sputnik 02 Oct 2016 -- A Chinese general lashed out at Singapore for its alleged support for the Philippines in the legal clash with China over the disputed areas in the South China Sea, saying that Beijing must express its "discontent" with sanctions.
- Yemen's Houthis, allies appoint former Aden governor as PM Press TV 02 Oct 2016 -- Yemen's ruling Houthi Ansarullah movement and allies have tasked a former governor of the province of Aden with forming a new government.
- Civilian targets hit in fresh Saudi airstrikes in Yemen Press TV 02 Oct 2016 -- Saudi warplanes have carried out a series of fresh airstrikes against residential areas across Yemen, leaving a number of people dead and causing more material damage in the impoverished Arab country.
- On the Houthi Attack of a UAE Vessel US Dept. of State 02 Oct 2016 -- The United States strongly condemns the Houthi forces' unprovoked attack against a UAE vessel operating near the Bab al-Mandeb yesterday.
- Syrian troops advance further in northern part of Aleppo Press TV 02 Oct 2016 -- Syrian government forces, backed by Russian aerial cover, have advanced further in the northwestern city of Aleppo, tightening the noose around militants.
- Syrian Army Advances In Aleppo; UN Issues Plea For Those Besieged RFE/RL 02 Oct 2016 -- Syrian activists say government forces, backed by Russian air strikes, have advanced in Aleppo, pressing their weeklong offensive to take the rebel-held part of the northern city.
- European Commission Launches Emergency Humanitarian Initiative for Aleppo Sputnik 02 Oct 2016 -- The European Commission called on all parties to the Syrian conflict to back the urgent humanitarian initiative for Aleppo, according to official statement.
- Syrian Army, Kurdish Forces Liberate Syria's Shkeif Area in Northwest Aleppo Sputnik 02 Oct 2016 -- The Syrian army and Kurdish self-defense forces succeeded in liberating the industrial zone of Shkeif in northwestern Aleppo, according to a representative of the Kurdish militia.
- Syria: Time running out to protect those trapped in eastern Aleppo, UN aid chief warns UN News 02 Oct 2016 -- Warning of an urgent humanitarian situation in Syria's eastern Aleppo city, the United Nations humanitarian chief today reiterated a call for a cessation of violence, medical evacuation of hundreds of patients in critical conditions and safe, full, regular and unimpeded humanitarian access.
- Syrian Army Presses into Aleppo after Hospital Bombings VOA 02 Oct 2016 -- Syrian forces advanced in the northern city of Aleppo Sunday, in an ongoing offensive to wrest one of the country's major cities from opposition fighters.
- Aerial attacks kill 30 Daesh militants in Iraq's troubled Anbar Press TV 02 Oct 2016 -- Over two dozen members of the Daesh Takfiri terrorist group have been killed in airstrikes against their positions in Iraq's western province of Anbar.
- Violence claimed over 1,000 Iraqi lives in September: UN Press TV 02 Oct 2016 -- The United Nations says more than 1,000 people lost their lives and over 1,500 others suffered injuries as a result of acts of terrorism and violence across Iraq in September.
- Iraqi Operation to Liberate Mosul From Daesh to Be Swift, Unexpected Sputnik 02 Oct 2016 -- All Iraqi forces on the ground signaled their readiness to start the operation to liberate the northern city of Mosul from the Daesh terrorist group, according to Nineveh province security committee member.
- 18 killed in fresh clashes between GNA forces, Daesh in Libya's Sirte Press TV 02 Oct 2016 -- At least 18 people have been killed in clashes between Daesh Takfiri terrorists and forces loyal to Libya's UN-backed Government of National Accord (GNA) in the coastal city of Sirte.
- Ukrainian Army, Separatists Withdraw From Flashpoint Town RFE/RL 02 Oct 2016 -- The Ukrainian military and Russia-backed separatists in eastern Ukraine have announced a pullback from a frontline city as agreed upon in a demilitarization deal agreed to last month.
- Australian FM: MH17 Suspects To Be Known In Months And Prosecuted RFE/RL 02 Oct 2016 -- Australian Foreign Minister Julie Bishop says the people responsible for shooting down Malaysia Airlines flight MH17 over eastern Ukraine two years ago could be known by the end of 2016 and will be prosecuted.
- Names of MH17 Downing Suspects May Be Confirmed by Year-End - Australia's FM Sputnik 02 Oct 2016 -- Australia's Foreign Minister stated that identities of those responsible for the Malaysia Airlines flight MH17 crash in 2014 in southeastern Ukraine might be confirmed by the end of this year or beginning of the next year.
- President Santos Says Peace Is Not Dead in Colombia After Peace Deal Referendum is Defeated VOA 02 Oct 2016 -- Colombian President Juan Manuel Santos says he is not giving up on peace after Sunday's stunning defeat of a referendum on a treaty with FARC rebels.
- Colombians Narrowly Reject Peace Deal, Confounding Expectations VOA 02 Oct 2016 -- Voters in Colombia appear to have narrowly rejected a peace deal with the Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia in a referendum Sunday, delivering a stunniing blow to Colombian President Juan Manuel Santos and plunging the country into a new period of uncertainty.
- Tensions rise on India-Pakistan border Press TV 02 Oct 2016 -- India has detained a pigeon which was carrying a threatening message for Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
- Border Dispute Between Turkey, Greece Remains Unresolved Sputnik 02 Oct 2016 -- Maritime border between Greece and Turkey was defined in the framework of the international agreement in terms of ownership of some islands and cliffs and some issues are still disputed, according to the Turkish Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
- Hungary Referendum: Government Declares a 'Victory' Despite Low Turnout VOA 02 Oct 2016 -- When the polls opened in this quiet town Sunday, voters trickled in, many happy to report that they voted "no" because they do not want refugees or migrants moving back in.
- Low Turnout In Hungary Vote On EU Migrant Quota RFE/RL 02 Oct 2016 -- An overwhelming majority of Hungarians who voted in a referendum appear to have rejected the European Union migrant resettlement quotas.
- Turkey police arrest Gulen's brother in coup probe Press TV 02 Oct 2016 -- Turkey's police have detained a brother of US-based preacher, Fethullah Gulen, whom Turkish officials accuse of being behind the July 15 coup attempt.
- Turkish Police Detain a Gulen Sibling in Coup Probe VOA 02 Oct 2016 -- Turkish police arrested a brother of the U.S.-based cleric Fethullah Gulen who is accused of masterminding the failed July coup attempt to oust President Recep Tayyip Erdogan.
- 'Sudden, unilateral' Brexit against law, May suggests Press TV 02 Oct 2016 -- British Prime Minister Theresa May addresses the Conservative Party's annual conference, rejecting any "sudden and unilateral withdrawal" from the European Union.
- Brexit will start by end of March 2017: British PM Press TV 02 Oct 2016 -- British Prime Minister Theresa May has confirmed that she will formally begin the Brexit process by the end of March 2017.
- PM May: Brexit Process to Start by End of Next March VOA 02 Oct 2016 -- The British prime minister says Britain will formally start the process of leaving the European Union by the end of March, 2017.
- Philippines President Apologizes to Jews for Comparing War on Drugs to Holocaust Sputnik 02 Oct 2016 -- Philippines President Rodrigo Duterte said that he apologizes profoundly and deeply to the Jewish community for comparing anti-drugs campaign with the Holocaust.
- Philippines President 'Profoundly and Deeply' Apologizes to World's Jews VOA 02 Oct 2016 -- Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte apologized "profoundly and deeply" to the world's Jewish community Sunday for comparing his war on drug traffickers to the Nazi Holocaust of World War II.
- AEOI chief: JCPOA Iran's superior diplomacy tool IRNA 02 Oct 2016 -- Vice-President and Head of the Atomic Energy Organization of Iran (AEOI) Ali Akbar Salehi underlined that the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA) was Iran's upper-hand in the field of diplomacy.
- UN atomic agency chief says Iran sticking to nuclear deal IRNA 02 Oct 2016 -- Iran has kept to a nuclear deal it agreed with six world powers last year limiting its enriched Uranium, the head of the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) told French daily Le Monde.
- Brazilians Vote in First Local Elections Since Rousseff's Impeachment VOA 02 Oct 2016 -- Brazil's Workers' Party (PT) is expected to lose big Sunday when Brazilians vote in the first local elections since Dilma Rousseff's impeachment.
- China Focus: China more confident as nation marks 67th anniversary People's Daily 02 Oct 2016 -- As Saturday marks the 67th anniversary of the founding of the People's Republic of China, the nation has become increasingly confident in marching along the path of socialism with Chinese characteristics.
- Saudis adopt Gregorian calendar system as part of austerity cuts Press TV 02 Oct 2016 -- Saudi Arabia has dropped the Islamic lunar calendar and adopted the Gregorian calendar system for paying civil servants as part of an austerity measures regime.
- Chinese tour to 'pan-blue' areas in Taiwan draw mixed response CNA 02 Oct 2016 -- A tour package proposed by a state-run travel agency in China to parts of Taiwan governed by the "pan-blue" alliance headed by the opposition Kuomintang (KMT), has drawn mixed reactions in Taiwan.
- Gulnara's Millions: U.S. Tracks Down Illicit Funds, But Not Ready To Hand Them Over To Uzbek Officials RFE/RL 02 Oct 2016 -- With the sun apparently setting on the house of one of Central Asia's most ruthless and enduring leaders, political elites are vying for power and control of the purse strings in Uzbekistan, a country that watchdog groups say is mired in corruption.
- Bosnians Vote In Local Elections With Ethnic Tensions High RFE/RL 02 Oct 2016 -- Polling stations have closed in local elections in Bosnia-Herzegovina that were held amid renewed ethnic tensions in the Balkan country, which is seeking to join the European Union.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|