18 September 2016 Military News
- Inherent Resolve Strikes Target ISIL in Syria, Iraq AFPS 18 Sep 2016 -- U.S. and coalition military forces continued to attack Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant terrorists in Syria and Iraq yesterday, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials reported today.
- US admits it wrongly targeted Syrian forces Press TV 18 Sep 2016 -- The Pentagon says it regrets the loss of lives resulting from airstrikes by US-led coalition jets on army positions near a military airport in Syria on Saturday.
- Pentagon Claims It Targeted Daesh on Day Coalition Bombed Syrian Army Sputnik 18 Sep 2016 -- The US-led coalition said it targeted Daesh terrorists in Syria on Saturday. Some of the airstrikes were carried out in Deir ez-Zor, where the coalition's aircraft attacked the country's army on the same day.
Defense Policy / Programs
- NATO to Deploy 4,000 Troops in Baltic Region by May 2017 Sputnik 18 Sep 2016 -- The North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) plans to station four battalions totaling 4,000 troops in the Baltic region by May 2017, NATO Military Committee Chairman Petr Pavel said on Sunday.
- Scaparrotti: NATO Needs 'Position of Strength' for Russia AFPS 18 Sep 2016 -- NATO needs to approach Russia from a "position of strength," while keeping the channels open for discussions and possible collaboration, the alliance's supreme allied commander for Europe said here yesterday.
- China Acquires Vicious 1,553MPH Su-35 Multirole Fighter Jets From Russia Sputnik 18 Sep 2016 -- The first four Su-35 fighter jets from a 24 aircraft arms deal between the two allies are to be delivered before the end of the year according to a statement by the Komsomolsk-on-Amur aviation plant.
- Saudi jets pound western Yemen afresh, drop cluster bombs Press TV 18 Sep 2016 -- Saudi warplanes have conducted fresh aerial assaults on several provinces in western Yemen, using cluster bombs in their attacks.
- Iran rejects Saudi claim on Yemen arms transfer Press TV 18 Sep 2016 -- Iran has dismissed Saudi Arabia's "unfounded and undocumented" allegation that the Islamic Republic is funneling arms into Yemen.
- US airstrikes on Syrian forces no technical error: Syria UN envoy Press TV 18 Sep 2016 -- Syrian Ambassador to the UN Bashar al-Jaafari says the US is trying to cancel out a recent ceasefire in his country by attacking Syrian government troops.
- Syrian War, Refugee Crisis to Dominate UN Meetings VOA 18 Sep 2016 -- World leaders will gather Monday in New York to tackle two of today's biggest global challenges: the war in Syria and the refugee crisis it has created.
- What Now for Syria? VOA 18 Sep 2016 -- The U.S.-Russia negotiated cease-fire in Syria that was negotiated over the heads of militias battling to oust President Bashar al-Assad appears Sunday to be all but dead.
- US spy plane hit over Syria's Dayr al-Zawr province Press TV 18 Sep 2016 -- Syrian government forces say they have targeted a US air force reconnaissance drone over the war-torn country's eastern regions.
- US airstrikes on Syrian airbase intentional, says aide to Assad Press TV 18 Sep 2016 -- A senior adviser to Syria's President Bashar al-Assad has accused US-led coalition forces of carrying out "intentional" airstrikes against a Syrian military airbase in Dayr al-Zawr province, where 62 soldiers were killed.
- Daesh claims has shot down Syrian plane in Dayr al-Zawr Press TV 18 Sep 2016 -- The Daesh Takfiri terrorist group has claimed to have shot down a Syrian military aircraft, killing its pilot, in Syria's eastern province of Dayr al-Zawr.
- US airstrikes on Syrian army forces undermine ceasefire: Russia Press TV 18 Sep 2016 -- Russia has harshly criticized the United States for airstrikes on a Syrian military air base in the country's eastern province of Dayr al-Zawr, arguing that such attacks threaten the implementation of the ceasefire meant to end hostilities in the conflict-ridden Arab country.
- Syria Militant Attacks Intensify Despite US-Russia Truce Deal - Defense Ministry Sputnik 18 Sep 2016 -- Militant attacks against Syrian government troops are on the rise, despite the new Russia-US brokered ceasefire, which only the Syrian government is strictly adhering to, Russian Defense Ministry spokesman Maj. Gen. Igor Konashenkov said Sunday.
- Russia's UN Ambassador Argues Bombing of Syrian Army Killing 80 Was Intentional Sputnik 18 Sep 2016 -- The Russian Ambassador to the United Nations found the timing of what the United States called an accidental and unintentional airstrike to be suspicious only minutes after the US representative to the international body effectively blamed Russia and the Assad regime calling the emergency meeting a "stunt."
- US Ambassador to UN: Emergency Meeting a 'Stunt,' Blasts Russia and Assad 'Game' Sputnik 18 Sep 2016 -- The United States Ambassador to the United Nations took a truculent tone during the emergency meeting on Saturday accusing Russia of bombing civilians and blaming the Assad regime for the rise of ISIS calling the meeting "grandstanding," a "stunt," and a "game" after 80 Syrian Army forces were killed in a US-Led airstrike.
- White House Regrets 'Unintentional Loss of Life' after Bombing Syrian Forces Sputnik 18 Sep 2016 -- An Obama administration official offered an official statement of regret for the loss of life caused by a US-led airstrike against Syrian Army positions in violation of a ceasefire -- an attack that led the Russian Foreign Ministry to wonder whether the White House is aiding Daesh.
- Russia Deeply Concerned With US-Led Coalition Strike on Syrian Forces Sputnik 18 Sep 2016 -- Moscow is deeply concerned with the US-led coalition's strike against the Syrian army near Deir-ez-Zor, Russian Foreign Ministry spokeswoman Maria Zakharova said.
- US-Led Coalition Used 4 Planes, 1 Drone in Deir ez-Zor Strike - Russian MoD Sputnik 18 Sep 2016 -- The US-led coalition in Syria used four aircraft and a combat drone to carry out Saturday's attack against Syrian government forces near Deir ez-Zor, the Russian Reconciliation Center in Syria said Saturday.
- Russian MoD Confirms US-Led Coalition's F-16, A-10 Jets Attacked Syrian Army Sputnik 18 Sep 2016 -- The Russian Defense Ministry confirmed that Syrian army positions were attacked by two F-16 fighter jets and two A-10 ground attack aircraft of the US-led coalition.
- Russia: Strikes On Syrian Troops Threaten Cease-Fire Plan RFE/RL 18 Sep 2016 -- if they, as we hope, were not taken on an order from Washington -- are on the boundary between criminal negligence and connivance with Islamic State terrorists," the ministry said.
- Russia, U.S. Tensions Spill Over At UN Security Council Meeting RFE/RL 18 Sep 2016 -- Tensions between Russian and U.S. diplomats have spilled over at the United Nations Security Council after Russian officials demanded to know whether the United States intentionally supported Islamic State militants with air strikes that hit Syrian government troops.
- Displaced Iraqi families begin returning to Fallujah Press TV 18 Sep 2016 -- Displaced residents of the Iraqi city of Fallujah have begun returning to their homes, some three months after armed forces fully liberated the flashpoint city from the grips of the Daesh Takfiri terrorist group.
- Libyan forces claim control of oil port Press TV 18 Sep 2016 -- Forces loyal to Libya's UN-backed Government of National Accord (GNA) have allegedly launched an attack against those of General Khalifa Haftar, a renegade general, claiming to have taken back control of an oil port terminal in the country's so-called oil crescent in the east.
- Libyan Military Repels Militants' Attack on Oil Crescent Sputnik 18 Sep 2016 -- The Tobruk-based government managed to repel an attack by jihadists on an area known as Libya's oil crescent.
- Militants attack India base in Kashmir, kill 17: India army source Press TV 18 Sep 2016 -- Militants in the Indian-administered Kashmir have reportedly attacked an army headquarters in the region's north, near the de facto border with Pakistan, killing at least 17 troops.
- India Vows Punishment For Kashmir Base Attack RFE/RL 18 Sep 2016 -- India's Prime Minister Narendra Modi has vowed to punish those responsible for what he called a "despicable" and "cowardly" attack on an army base in Indian-administered Kashmir.
- 17 Indian Soldiers Killed in Militant Attack in Indian Kashmir VOA 18 Sep 2016 -- Seventeen Indian soldiers have been killed and nearly 20 wounded in the deadliest attack mounted by militants in two decades on an Indian army base in Kashmir, close to the border with Pakistan.
- Indian minister says Pakistan 'terrorist state' Press TV 18 Sep 2016 -- Indian Home Minister Rajnath Singh has called arch-rival Pakistan a "terrorist state" in the wake of an attack on an army base in Kashmir, where nearly 20 Indian soldiers were killed.
- Toll from Pakistan mosque attacks rises to 36 Press TV 18 Sep 2016 -- Pakistani officials have updated the death toll from an attack by the Taliban militants on a mosque in the northwest of the country, saying 36 are now confirmed killed as the result of the incident.
- IS Claims Rare Fatal Attack on Pakistani Soldiers VOA 18 Sep 2016 -- Islamic State militants have claimed the assassination of three Pakistan military personnel in the country's northwestern city of Peshawar.
- Car Bomb Kills Senior Somali Military Official VOA 18 Sep 2016 -- A senior Somali military official was killed in a car bomb explosion in Somalia's capital Mogadishu on Sunday.
- Car bomb attack kills Somali general, bodyguards in Mogadishu Press TV 18 Sep 2016 -- A Somali general and seven of his bodyguards have been killed when a car laden with explosives rammed into their military vehicle in the capital Mogadishu.
- Militants attack village in Central African Republic, kill 26: Officials Press TV 18 Sep 2016 -- A militant raid on a village in the Central African Republic (CAR) has left 26 villagers dead in the worst instance of bloodshed in recent months, an official says.
- New York Explosion's Motive Unknown, Investigation Continues VOA 18 Sep 2016 -- New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio says people will have to patient to get the full story behind Saturday night's bombing in Manhattan that injured 29 people in one of the city's busiest neighborhoods.
- New York Police Investigate 'Intentional' Blast that Injured 29 VOA 18 Sep 2016 -- A loud explosion that shook the Chelsea neighborhood of Manhattan Saturday night was "an intentional act" that injured 29 people, according to New York authorities.
- Mayor Says New York Explosion That Injured 29 Was 'Intentional Act' RFE/RL 18 Sep 2016 -- A homemade explosive device detonated in midtown Manhattan, wounding 29 people, one seriously, and New York Mayor Bill de Blasio called it an "intentional act."
- New York Blast 'Was Intentional Act,' Police Say; 29 Injured VOA 18 Sep 2016 -- A loud explosion that shook the Chelsea neighborhood of Manhattan Saturday night was "an intentional act" that injured 29 people, according to New York authorities.
- Explosion injures at least 29 people in Manhattan, New York Press TV 18 Sep 2016 -- At least 29 people have been injured in an explosion in the Chelsea neighborhood of Manhattan, New York, the fire department says.
- Minnesota Mall Attacker Identified as Somali-American VOA 18 Sep 2016 -- The man who stabbed nine people at a mall in the northern U.S. state of Minnesota has been identified as a 22-year-old Somali-American.
- Daesh sympathizer killed by US police after stabbing 8 people Press TV 18 Sep 2016 -- A man in the US state of Minnesota has been killed by police after stabbing 8 people in a shopping center, an attack that was later claimed by the Daesh (ISIL) terrorist group.
- Knife-Wielding Man Wounds 8 At Minnesota Shopping Mall RFE/RL 18 Sep 2016 -- Police said a man wearing a private security firm uniform stabbed at least eight people at a shopping mall in the northern U.S. state of Minnesota.
- Is Islamic State Losing Ground But Winning the War of Ideas? VOA 18 Sep 2016 -- The Islamic State terror group has been steadily losing territory in Iraq and Syria. But as the Caliphate shrinks, the group is shifting its emphasis to spreading its ideology, establishing outposts around the world, and attacking high-casualty, soft targets and economic infrastructure.
- Putin's Party Retains Power in Sunday's Parliamentary Elections VOA 18 Sep 2016 -- Early election results show Russia's ruling party has won Sunday's parliamentary election, amid reports of election violations and visible voter apathy in the country's two largest cities.
- Elections for State Duma, regional bodies in Russia Press TV 18 Sep 2016 -- Elections have begun in Russia for the State Duma, which is the lower house of the Russian parliament, as well as dozens of municipal and regional bodies.
- Russians Voting to Choose New Parliament VOA 18 Sep 2016 -- Russian lawmakers under President Vladimir Putin have proven themselves nothing if not efficient.
- US, S.Korea, Japan Urge 'Even Stronger' Pressure on N.Korea After Nuclear Test Sputnik 19 Sep 2016 -- The United States, Japan and South Korea condemn North Korea's latest nuclear test, calling for "even stronger" pressure on Pyongyang, foreign ministers of the three countries said in a statement.
- US Urges North Korea to Get Serious VOA 18 Sep 2016 -- Nine days after North Korea's latest nuclear test, U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry Sunday expressed a continued willingness to try to revive dialogue with Pyongyang if it freezes its atomic weapons and ballistic weapons development programs.
- China's State Council officials pledge allegiance to the Constitution People's Daily 18 Sep 2016 -- The State Council on Sunday held a ceremony for 55 officials to pledge fidelity to the Constitution.
- Iran says US to OK its plane purchases Press TV 18 Sep 2016 -- Iran says it has been told that the US Treasury Department will approve licenses for global aviation giants such as Airbus and Boeing to export planes to the country within the next weeks.
- Absolute distrust in US important part of Iran's soft power: Leader Press TV 18 Sep 2016 -- Leader of the Islamic Revolution Ayatollah Seyyed Ali Khamenei says absolute distrust in hegemonic powers topped by the United States is an important component of Iran's soft power and this distrust must increase on a daily basis.
- IAEA already in posession of data on centrifuges under JCPOA : Iran Press TV 18 Sep 2016 -- Iran says it has already provided the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) with the data on the specifications of its centrifuges and rotor tubes as agreed under last year's nuclear deal, rejecting reported new demands for such information.
- China to conduct brain-computer interaction experiments on Tiangong-2 People's Daily 18 Sep 2016 -- Tiangong-2, China's first space lab in a real sense, was successfully launched into space on Sept. 15. A brain-computer interaction test system, developed by Tianjin University and installed in the lab, will conduct a series of experiments in space.
- 8 Taiwan local government leaders visit Beijing (update 2) CNA 18 Sep 2016 -- Eight city and county government leaders of Taiwan held a "breakthrough" meeting with Beijing officials Sunday, urging China to seek ways to "reset and restart" cross-strait ties.
- Taiwan urges China not to set political conditions for exchanges CNA 18 Sep 2016 -- Taiwan's mainland affairs authorities reiterated the government stance Sunday that no political conditions should be attached to exchanges between the two sides of the Taiwan Strait so that true understanding can be possible between them.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|