10 September 2016 Military News
- Military Strikes Continue Against ISIL Terrorists in Syria, Iraq AFPS 10 Sep 2016 -- U.S. and coalition military forces continued to attack Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant terrorists in Syria and Iraq yesterday, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials reported today.
- Hundreds More US Troops Deploy to Iraq on Eve of Anticipated Mosul Offensive Sputnik 10 Sep 2016 -- More than 400 additional US troops have arrived in Iraq in recent days as the battle for Mosul is expected to begin soon, a US defense official said Thursday.
- Afghanistan, Hekmatyar on Verge of Signing Long-delayed Peace Deal VOA 10 Sep 2016 -- Top Afghan officials and representatives of an anti-government armed group, led by former warlord Gulbuddin Hekmatyar, have reported major progress in their protracted peace negotiations and both sides are expected to sign a deal, possibly sometime on Saturday.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Russian Armata Tank Forces 'West to Hastily Upgrade' Their Own Combat Vehicles Sputnik 10 Sep 2016 -- The high technical level of the latest Russian T-14 Armata tanks has forced Western manufacturers to urgently upgrade their own Leopard and Abrams military vehicles, according to the head of the main vehicles and armor department of the Russian Ministry of Defense, Lieutenant-General Alexander Shevchenko.
- Russian General Uses Fake Romney Quote About Alleged Plans to 'Destroy Russia' VOA 10 Sep 2016 -- A senior Russian general, Sergei Kuralenko, this week quoted Mitt Romney, the U.S. Republican presidential candidate in 2012, as saying at the time, "We destroyed the Soviet Union, and we will destroy Russia."
- Chinese Army Equips All Ground Troops With Advanced WZ-10 Attack Helicopters Sputnik 10 Sep 2016 -- An updated version of China's WZ-10 combat helicopters will soon be assigned to all ground force aviation units, according to the China Daily.
- Security Council strongly condemns DPRK nuclear test UN News 10 Sep 2016 -- The United Nations Security Council has strongly condemned the Democratic People's Republic of Korea's (DPRK) nuclear test on 9 September and said it is a clear violation of repeated calls on the country to halt such activity.
- US, South Korea Test Water, Air Samples Following North's Nuclear Test VOA 10 Sep 2016 -- South Korea and the United States began their search for radioactive materials Saturday, following North Korea's fifth and largest nuclear test the day before, according to the South's Yonhap news agency.
- Backgrounder: DPRK's five nuclear tests People's Daily 10 Sep 2016 -- The official KCNA news agency reports that the DPRK conducted a successful nuclear test in North Hamgyong province in the country's northeast. The UN Security Council on Oct. 14 passes Resolution 1718 to condemn the test.
- UN Security Council slams DPRK's nuke test People's Daily 10 Sep 2016 -- The UN Security Council on Friday condemned the latest nuclear test conducted by the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK), saying it is a clear violation of Security Council resolutions.
- UN chief strongly condemns DPRK nuclear test People's Daily 10 Sep 2016 -- UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon on Friday condemned the latest nuclear test conducted by the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) "in the strongest possible terms."
- Russia strongly condemns DPRK's nuclear test People's Daily 10 Sep 2016 -- The Russian Foreign Ministry on Friday strongly condemned the latest nuclear warhead explosion test executed by the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK).
- DPRK nuclear test threatens regional security: Belarus FM People's Daily 10 Sep 2016 -- Belarus Foreign Ministry on Friday urged the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) to avoid actions that lead to increased tensions in the region.
- Indonesia deplores DPRK nuclear test People's Daily 10 Sep 2016 -- Indonesian government deplored on Saturday the latest nuclear test conducted by the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK), saying it was not in line with the world peace and stability.
- Pakistan condemns nuclear test by DPRK People's Daily 10 Sep 2016 -- Pakistan on Friday condemned the nuclear test conducted by the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK), which "constitutes a violation of the United Nation Security Council Resolutions and is against the objective of a nuclear weapons free Korean peninsula."
- France, Germany to launch joint military headquarters: Report Press TV 10 Sep 2016 -- France and Germany are reportedly planning to launch a joint military headquarters aimed at the eventual unification of all the European Union's armies.
- French Defense Minister Pledges To Help Tbilisi During Georgia Visit RFE/RL 10 Sep 2016 -- French Defense Minister Jean-Yves Le Drian has begun an official visit to Georgia for talks focusing on boosting Tbilisi's military defenses.
- Putin Orders to Ensure Long-Term Government Support for Civil Shipbuilding Sputnik 10 Sep 2016 -- Russian President Vladimir Putin has asked the government to ensure a long-lasting state support for civil shipbuilding, the Kremlin press service said Saturday.
- Philippines prefers dialog, not confrontation with China in dispute Press TV 10 Sep 2016 -- Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte has vowed to lead a "soft" and independent course in dealing with its territorial dispute with China, saying he is "not fan" of the United states and its regional policies.
- 18 dead as Saudi jets hit northern Yemen residential area Press TV 10 Sep 2016 -- At least 18 people have been killed and several others injured when Saudi warplanes carried out an airstrike against a residential area in Yemen's northern province of Sana'a.
- Islamic State Has Suffered Its Worst Defeat Yet: A Moral One RFE/RL 10 Sep 2016 -- At the start of August, the extremist group that calls itself Islamic State (IS) controlled a large part of the border between Syria and Turkey, while the U.S.-backed Syrian Defense Forces (SDF), a multiethnic group made up primarily of Kurdish YPG fighters, raced to recapture as much of that territory as they could, as quickly as they could.
- Syrian government approves US-Russia ceasefire deal: SANA Press TV 10 Sep 2016 -- The Syrian government has "approved" a truce deal announced by Russia and the United States as part of a plan to find a political solution to the crisis in the Arab country, the state news agency says.
- Russia, US agree coordinated airstrikes in Syria Press TV 10 Sep 2016 -- Russia and the United States have reached an agreement on a ceasefire in Syria as part of a plan to find a political solution to the years-long crisis in the Arab country.
- Syria Cease-fire Deal Greeted With Support, Skepticism VOA 10 Sep 2016 -- Syria's government has accepted the cease-fire deal brokered by its Russian ally and the United States, state news agency SANA reported Saturday.
- 35 killed, 40 wounded in twin car bomb attacks in Baghdad Press TV 10 Sep 2016 -- Nearly three dozen people have been killed and tens of others injured in two car bomb attacks that struck a busy mall in the violence-plagued Iraqi capital city of Baghdad.
- 2 killed, 25 injured in fresh clashes in Indian Kashmir Press TV 10 Sep 2016 -- Renewed scuffles have broken out between government forces and pro-independence protesters in Indian-controlled Kashmir, leaving two people dead and at least 25 others wounded.
- Israel launches new airstrikes on Syria's Golan Press TV 10 Sep 2016 -- Israeli military aircraft have launched yet more strikes on the Golan Heights in southwest Syria.
- UN says evacuated 300 S Sudan opposition members to DR Congo Press TV 10 Sep 2016 -- The United Nations has announced that its peacekeeping force in the Democratic Republic of the Congo has evacuated nearly 300 supporters of South Sudan's opposition leader Riek Machar, many of them wounded or malnourished.
- Trump Vows To Destroy Iranian Boats That Harass U.S. Navy Ships RFE/RL 10 Sep 2016 -- U.S. Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump vowed to "shoot out of the water" any Iranian vessels that harass the U.S. Navy, if he is elected.
- Trump threatens to shoot Iranian ships in Persian Gulf Press TV 10 Sep 2016 -- Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump has threatened that he would order the US Navy to open fire on Iranian boats, if they approach US warships in the Persian Gulf.
- KCNA Commentary Accuses U.S. of Spreading Fresh False Story KCNA 10 Sep 2016 -- These days the U.S. is busy spreading new false stories such as "story of abduction of American university student" as part of its smear campaign against the DPRK.
- No capitulation to US nuclear blackmail: N Korea Press TV 10 Sep 2016 -- North Korea has stressed that it would not give in to US nuclear "blackmail" after pressure mounted on Pyongyang following its latest nuclear test.
- Salehi: JCPOA bears fruit, Iran takes over administration of Bushehr plant IRNA 10 Sep 2016 -- Thank God the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action bears fruit and Iran takes over administration of the first unit of Bushehr power plant.
- Iran starts building 2nd, 3rd phases of Bushehr nuclear plant IRNA 10 Sep 2016 -- Iranian First Vice President Eshaq Jahangiri inaugurated executive operations of second and third phases of Bushehr Nuclear Power Plant here in southern country on Saturday.
- Bushehr new reactors enjoy highest safety, says Kirienko ISNA 10 Sep 2016 -- Director General of Russian state nuclear corporation Rosatom Sergey Kirienko said that new units of Bushehr Nuclear Power Plant pass western and the IAEA safety standards.
- Salehi: Bushehr new N. reactors to be accomplished in 10 years ISNA 10 Sep 2016 -- Head of Atomic Energy Organization of Iran (AEOI) Ali Akbar Salehi said that new nuclear reactors of Bushehr nuclear power plant would be accomplished in 10 years.
- Iran's Bushehr 2 NPP to Be Equipped With Most Reliable Security Systems Sputnik 10 Sep 2016 -- Modern technologies ensuring the highest level of security will be used during the construction of the Bushehr 2 nuclear power plant in Iran, Sergei Kirienko, the director general of Russia's state nuclear energy corporation Rosatom that is participating in the project, said on Saturday.
- Iran Begins Construction of 2nd Nuclear Power Plant VOA 10 Sep 2016 -- Iran has begun building its second nuclear power plant.
- Last remnants of anti-Iran MKO terrorists relocated from Iraq to Albania Press TV 10 Sep 2016 -- The last remaining members of the anti-Iran Mujahedin-e Khalq Organization (MKO) have been relocated from a camp in Iraq to Albania.
- Relocation Of Iranian Opposition Group From Iraq To Albania Completed RFE/RL 10 Sep 2016 -- A camp housing members of an Iranian opposition group in Iraq was officially closed on September 9 after the last 280 residents were flown to Albania, the United Nations and residents said.
- Thousands In Iran Protest Against Saudis As Hajj Begins RFE/RL 10 Sep 2016 -- Thousands of Iranians have marched through the streets of Tehran to protest against Saudi Arabia for failing to accommodate Iranians on the hajj pilgrimage, which starts on September 10.
- Samara Governor Offers A Stark Choice: United Russia Or The CIA RFE/RL 10 Sep 2016 -- The CIA has Russia's Samara Oblast in its crosshairs. At least that is what the governor, Nikolai Merkushkin, wants voters to think.
- Turkey thwarts graveside bomb plot against top AKP official Press TV 10 Sep 2016 -- Turkish officials say they have thwarted an assassination attempt against the deputy chairman of the ruling Justice and Development Party (AKP) party.
- Turkish police clash with protesters over sacking 11,500 teachers Press TV 10 Sep 2016 -- Turkish police have clashed with demonstrators protesting the dismissal of 11,500 teachers suspected of links with the Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK) militant group in the southeast of the country.
- Bahrainis hold demonstrations in solidarity with Sheikh Qassim Press TV 10 Sep 2016 -- Bahraini people have staged anti-regime demonstrations across the tiny Persian Gulf kingdom in support of distinguished Shia Muslim cleric Sheikh Issa Qassim, who recently had his citizenship removed by the Al Khalifah regime.
- Kenyan President Launches New Political Party VOA 10 Sep 2016 -- Kenya's president on Saturday launched a new political party that he intends to use for a second and last term in office in the 2017 election.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|