06 September 2016 Military News
- OIF / OND / OEF / OIR / OFS Casualty Update 06 Sep 2016 [PDF]
- Military Strikes Target ISIL Terrorists in Syria, Iraq AFPS 06 Sep 2016 -- U.S. and coalition military forces continued to attack Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant terrorists in Syria and Iraq yesterday, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials reported today.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Media Availability with Secretary Carter enroute to London, England DoD 06 Sep 2016 -- Presenter: Secretary of Defense Ash Carter
- COMLOG WESTPAC, MSC Far East Test Afloat Watch Stations During Ulchi Freedom Guardian NNS 06 Sep 2016 -- Navy reservists and staff from Commander, Logistics Group Western Pacific and Military Sealift Command Far East operated watch stations aboard the expeditionary fast transport ship USNS Millinocket (T-EPF 3) Aug 22-Sept 2 as part of Ulchi Freedom Guardian.
- Obama Makes Case for Asia-Pacific Re-balance in Laos VOA 06 Sep 2016 -- President Barack Obama has reassured nations in the Asia-Pacific that the U.S. strategic re-balance to the region "will endure for the long-term" because it "reflects fundamental national interests."
- Obama, South Korean President Reaffirm U.S.-South Korea Alliance AFPS 06 Sep 2016 -- While attending a regional summit meeting today in Vientiane, Laos, President Barack Obama and South Korean President Park Geun-hye reaffirmed their countries' long-standing alliance and condemned North Korea's nuclear program and missile launches, according to a White House news release.
- USAFE, ANG squadrons strengthen teams in Estonia AFNS 06 Sep 2016 -- U.S. Air Force and allied partners completed a multilateral flying training deployment in Estonia Sept. 2. The event served to enhance unit readiness and interoperability.
- Dunford Discusses North Korea, ISIL, Regional Challenges at Manila Forum AFPS 06 Sep 2016 -- Addressing military leaders from 29 Pacific nations, the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff today voiced concern over North Korea's recent missile activity and highlighted progress against the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant.
- 18 nations participate in ASEAN Exercise 16-3 USMC News 06 Sep 2016 -- Areas of the world riddled with natural disasters and cursed by the secondary effects of mother nature's wrath demand a responsive force that thinks, trains and plans ahead.
- Ike CSG, Air Force Come Together for Air Defense Exercise NNS 06 Sep 2016 -- The Eisenhower Carrier Strike Group (Ike CSG) and the U.S. Air Force conducted a joint air defense exercise (ADEX) in the Arabian Gulf Aug. 29.
- US Navy Sailors Begin Participation in Exercise Northern Coasts 2016 NNS 06 Sep 2016 -- Sailors from Navy Explosive Ordnance Disposal Mobile Unit (EODMU) 8 began participation in the annual multinational maritime exercise Northern Coasts 2016 in the Baltic Sea region Sept. 2.
- Virtual Strike Group Verifies New U.S. Navy Combat Capability in Complex Test NNS 06 Sep 2016 -- The Navy evaluated a strike group's gun weapon systems, combat systems and unmanned vehicles' interoperability with surface and air assets while firing on targets at the 2016 USS Dahlgren demonstration Aug. 30.
- John Finn Successfully Completes Alpha Trials NNS 06 Sep 2016 -- The future USS John Finn (DDG 113) successfully completed initial builder's sea trials Aug. 30 following three days at sea.
- USS New Orleans Returns to Pearl Harbor NNS 06 Sep 2016 -- Sailors and Marines aboard the amphibious transport dock ship USS New Orleans (LPD 18) returned to Hawaii Aug. 29 for their first U.S. port visit in six months.
- USS Fort Worth Arrives in Guam NNS 06 Sep 2016 -- USS Fort Worth (LCS 3) arrived in Guam Sept. 6th for a routine port visit while en route to homeport in San Diego.
- Malmstrom tests Minuteman III with launch from Vandenberg AFNS 06 Sep 2016 -- A team of Air Force Global Strike Command Airmen from the 341st Missile Wing at Malmstrom Air Force Base, Montana, launched an unarmed Minuteman III intercontinental ballistic missile equipped with a test re-entry vehicle Sept. 5 from Vandenberg AFB, California.
- NATO Secretary General commends Bosnia and Herzegovina for its contributions to NATO operations NATO 06 Sep 2016 -- NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg held talks on regional security with Denis Zvizdic, Chairman of the Council of Ministers of Bosnia and Herzegovina on Tuesday (6 September 2016). Mr. Stoltenberg commended Bosnia and Herzegovina for its contributions to NATO-led operations and for its commitment to regional dialogue, cooperation, and security. The two leaders also exchanged views on the country's domestic political situation and progress on defence reform efforts.
- Estonia Says Russian Aircraft Violated Airspace Again RFE/RL 06 Sep 2016 -- The Estonian military says Russian aircraft violated Estonian airspace over the Baltic Sea, the fourth such violation by Russia this year.
- Russian Weapons Sales Reach $7Bln in 8 Months - Russian Arms Exporter Sputnik 06 Sep 2016 -- Rostec CEO Sergey Chemezov said that Rosoboronexport was planning to sell more than $13 billion worth of weapons in 2016 and arms exporter has already sold arms at a cost of $7 billion.
- Russian Aerospace Forces to Start Receiving Mi-26T2 Helicopters in 2018 Sputnik 06 Sep 2016 -- The Russian Aerospace Forces will start receiving the upgraded Mi-26T2 helicopters from the Russian Helicopters corporation in 2018.
- Russian Defense Ministry Signs First Contract to Deliver Over 100 Armata Tanks Sputnik 06 Sep 2016 -- The Russian Defense Ministry and the Uralvagonzavod machine industry company agreed contract to deliver more than 100 T-14 Armata tanks, which were used in trials and combat operations, according to the deputy defense minister.
- Russia Prepares to Supply Ka-52K Attack Helicopters to Egypt Sputnik 06 Sep 2016 -- An accord made recently by the defense ministries of Russia and Egypt gives reason to believe that Moscow is prepared to sell a considerable number of carrier-based helicopters to Cairo.
- Russia, Qatar Sign Military Cooperation Agreement - Ambassador Sputnik 06 Sep 2016 -- Qatar's Ambassador to Russia Saoud Bin Abdallah Al Mahmoud stated that the Russian and Qatari defense ministers signed a military cooperation agreement, which does not include arms purchases.
- Kim Jong Un Guides Fire Drill of Ballistic Rockets KCNA 06 Sep 2016 -- Kim Jong Un, chairman of the Workers' Party of Korea, chairman of the State Affairs Commission of the DPRK and supreme commander of the Korean People's Army(KPA), provided field guidance to the fire drill of ballistic rockets by Hwasong artillery units of the KPA Strategic Force.
- DPRK Will Continue Exercising Self-Defensive Right: Rodong Sinmun KCNA 06 Sep 2016 -- The United States is prodding its satellites at the UN into slandering test-fire of SLBM of the DPRK, and busying itself seeking a way of "intensifying deterrent" together with Japan and south Korean puppet forces.
- N Korea Makes Progress in Missile Technologies - Japanese MoD Sputnik 06 Sep 2016 -- Pyongyang's fresh launches of ballistic missiles are a sign that North Korea continues to work on its missile technologies and makes advancements in this area, Japanese Defense Minister Tomomi Inada said on Tuesday.
- UN Security Council condemns latest DPRK missile launches, notes 'flagrant disregard' for previous statements UN News 06 Sep 2016 -- The United Nations Security Council today condemned the ballistic missile launches conducted by the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) on Monday, 5 September.
- North Korea Sends Expensive Message With Missile Tests VOA 06 Sep 2016 -- North Korea has spent close to $100 million on more than 30 missile tests since Kim Jong Un assumed power in 2011, nearly double the number of missiles launched in the previous 18 years when his father Kim Jong Il ruled the country.
- Germany to Invest $65Mln to Build Infrastructure in Turkey's Incirlik Airbase Sputnik 06 Sep 2016 -- The German defense ministry has allocated a total of 58 million euros ($65 million) to build infrastructure to support German forces stationed at the Turkish Incirlik airbase which is used to conduct missions against the Daesh terrorist group, German media reported.
- Russia Supplied India With $65Bln Worth of Military Vehicles Since 1960 Sputnik 06 Sep 2016 -- Sergey Goreslavsky, the Russian state arms exporter Rosoboronexport's deputy director said that the India army is equipped with a large number of vehicles produced in Russia as well as domestically-manufactured vehicles, constructed using Russian technology.
- Ready for Takeoff: India's First Helicopter in Years Performs Test Flight Sputnik 06 Sep 2016 -- India urgently needs around 400 light utility helicopters for its armed forces. Russia and India have agreed to manufacture Kamov-226 LUHs in India and a detailed agreement likely to be signed very soon.
- Indian Armed Forces to Increase BrahMos Purchases in Coming Years Sputnik 06 Sep 2016 -- BrahMos supersonic cruise missiles have no equivalent in the world today, according to a spokesman for the manufacturing firm BrahMos Aerospace Limited.
- India Arms Myanmar to Secure Northeastern Border Sputnik 06 Sep 2016 -- Forging ahead in its effort to quell an insurgency of more than five decades in the north eastern part of the country, the Indian Government has started supplying advanced weaponry and electronics to the Myanmar Army.
- Russia So Far Delivered Over Half of Agreed Number of S-300s to Iran Sputnik 06 Sep 2016 -- Russia has delivered over half of the agreed number of S-300 air defense systems to Iran, Russian presidential aide Vladimir Kozhin told Sputnik on Tuesday.
- France sends military equipment to Iraq for Mosul operation Press TV 06 Sep 2016 -- France says it has deployed artillery to Iraq and is preparing to dispatch an aircraft carrier to the Arab country as part of reinforcements for a major operation in the strategic northern city of Mosul.
- Pakistan Interested in Russian Air Defense Systems, Tanks Sputnik 06 Sep 2016 -- The Pakistani armed forces show deep interest in Russian air defense systems and tanks.
- Air Force to buy 66 advanced training planes CNA 06 Sep 2016 -- The Air Force is to purchase 66 advanced training planes as part of a plan to phase out all of its F-5 fighters and AT-3 training planes, Air Force Command Headquarters said in a statement released Tuesday.
- September 6, 2016 - U.S. Department of State Daily Press Briefing US Dept. of State 06 Sep 2016
- 6 September 2016 - Daily Press Briefing by the Office of the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General United Nations 06 Sep 2016
- Rescue Workers Report Chlorine Attack on Aleppo VOA 06 Sep 2016 -- At least 70 people were treated for breathing problems Tuesday in the Syrian city of Aleppo after what rescue workers say was a chlorine gas attack by government forces.
- Turkish, Moderate Syrian Forces Close Major ISIL Route AFPS 06 Sep 2016 -- Turkish and moderate Syrian opposition forces last night closed northern Syria's Jarabulus gap in a significant development in the counter- Islamic State of Iraq and The Levant campaign by cutting off ISIL access to a route between Manbij and Jarabulus, Defense Department Press Operations Director Navy Capt. Jeff Davis told reporters today.
- Two Turkish soldiers killed in Daesh attack in N Syria Press TV 06 Sep 2016 -- The Turkish military says two of its troopers have been killed and five others injured in an attack by the Daesh Takfiri terrorist group in northern Syria.
- UN panel urges revival of shaky ceasefire in Syria Press TV 06 Sep 2016 -- A United Nations investigative panel has called on all parties involved in the deadly conflict in Syria to revitalize a faltering nationwide ceasefire in the violence-wracked Arab state.
- Syrian army troops deal major blows to Takfiri militants Press TV 06 Sep 2016 -- Syrian government forces have carried out a string of military operations against foreign-backed militants across the conflict-ridden Arab country, inflicting heavy losses on them.
- As peace talks stall, violence soars once again in Syria - new UN report warns UN News 06 Sep 2016 -- Although February's ceasefire agreement created an all-too-brief respite in fighting, there has been a tragic increase in violence targeting Syrian civilians, crushing hopes of peace in the war-torn country, a group of United Nations experts warned today.
- Iraq: UN food relief agency's supplies reach Qayyarah's 30,000 people under 2-year siege UN News 06 Sep 2016 -- The United Nations food relief agency has delivered urgently-needed aid to more than 30,000 people in and around the northern Iraqi town of Qayyarah in the past week, reaching an area that has been under siege and inaccessible for more than two years.
- Thousands of Iraqis Receive Food After IS Occupation Ends VOA 06 Sep 2016 -- The World Food Program reports it has distributed food to more than 30,000 people in a northern Iraqi town that has been under occupation by Islamic State militants for more than two years. WFP aid workers described scenes of extreme suffering.
- Some South Sudanese Want Restrictions on Troop Deployment VOA 06 Sep 2016 -- While most South Sudanese lawmakers say they welcome the government's decision to accept the deployment of a regional protection force, some say the government has the right to place conditions on that deployment, including the number of troops, their types of weapons and which countries they should come from.
- EU Observers: 'Obvious Anomaly' Marred Gabon Election VOA 06 Sep 2016 -- European Union observers in Gabon say there was an "obvious anomaly" in election results that showed President Ali Bongo narrowly defeating challenger Jean Ping.
- Gabon justice minister resigns in protest at disputed vote results Press TV 06 Sep 2016 -- Gabon's justice minister has resigned in protest at the government's failure to recount the ballots cast in the African country's controversial presidential election, which has sparked violent street protests in recent days.
- IS's New Top Recruiter on US Most Wanted List VOA 06 Sep 2016 -- Gulmurod Khalimov, a former Tajik military officer who is now the Islamic State group's chief recruiter, has become one of the world's most wanted terrorists. The United States is offering a $3 million reward for his capture.
- Clinton Expresses 'Grave' Concern Russia Interfering In U.S. Election RFE/RL 06 Sep 2016 -- U.S. Democratic presidential candidate Hillary Clinton has expressed "grave" concern that Russia may be interfering in the U.S. election through cyberattacks on the Democratic Party and state voting systems.
- The Last Days Of Islam Karimov RFE/RL 06 Sep 2016 -- World-renowned neurosurgeon Juha Hernesniemi was in Helsinki at about 2 p.m. on August 27 when he received an urgent phone call from Central Asia.
- Putin Visits Karimov's Grave, Meets Uzbek PM RFE/RL 06 Sep 2016 -- Russian President Vladimir Putin has visited the grave of the former president of Uzbekistan, Islam Karimov, as he paid his respects in Karimov's home city of Samarkand.
- Philippine President Expresses Regret for Vulgar Comment About Obama VOA 06 Sep 2016 -- Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte expressed regret Tuesday that a comment he made involving vulgar language came across as a personal attack against U.S. President Barack Obama.
- Kiev losing Western support against Russia: Ukrainian president Press TV 06 Sep 2016 -- Ukrainian President Petro Poroshenko says it is now difficult for his government to gather Western support in its confrontation with Russia, which Kiev and its allies accuse of having a hand in the crisis gripping eastern Ukraine.
- Ukraine's Poroshenko Pleads For Unity, Calls For Western Support In Annual Address RFE/RL 06 Sep 2016 -- President Petro Poroshenko has urged Ukrainians to mend their differences, saying that only unity can keep the country from descending into chaos in the face of what he called a persistent Russian military threat.
- Russian Environmentalists Slam U.S. Green Party Candidate For Putin Comments RFE/RL 06 Sep 2016 -- Two prominent Russian environmental activists have criticized the presidential candidate for the U.S. Green Party, saying her positions on President Vladimir Putin and his policies are "deeply shocking."
- Analysis: Sidelining Independent Pollster, Kremlin Takes Control Of The Narrative RFE/RL 06 Sep 2016 -- With Russia in the final stretch before the September 18 State Duma elections, the Justice Ministry has tagged the country's only independent sociological-research organization, the Levada Center, as a "foreign agent."
- Somali President Sees Diaspora Driving Growth VOA 06 Sep 2016 -- Somali President Hassan Sheikh Mohamud says he wants more young Somalis from abroad to return and help rebuild the country, even as al-Shabab militants continue to mount deadly attacks.
- Obama vows to increase sanctions against North Korea Press TV 06 Sep 2016 -- US President Barack Obama has vowed to work with the UN to tighten international sanctions against North Korea, a day after Pyongyang launched another round of ballistic missiles into the sea.
- UNSC to hold meeting over North Korea's latest nuclear test Press TV 06 Sep 2016 -- North Korean leader Kim Jong-un has called on Pyongyang's military to bolster its nuclear capabilities after ordering the launch of three ballistic missiles.
- DPRK Focuses on Flood Damage Rehabilitation KCNA 06 Sep 2016 -- The DPRK government concentrates its efforts on flood damage rehabilitation in North Hamgyong Province of the country.
- China warns new Hong Kong lawmakers to avoid backing independence Press TV 06 Sep 2016 -- Beijing has warned anti-China activists who have managed to enter the parliament in Hong Kong to avoid backing independence for the semi-autonomous region.
- Energia Corp Designing New Transport Spaceship With Higher Payload Capacity Sputnik 06 Sep 2016 -- The new vessel, whose preliminary design is expected to be finished by the end of the year, will feature increased payload capacity for the delivery of cargo for up to three crew members aboard the International Space Station.
- National Security Space Defense and Protection: Public Report (2016) National Academis Press 06 Sep 2016 -- "It is not yet 60 years since the first artificial satellite was placed into Earth orbit. In just over a half century, mankind has gone from no presence in outer space to a condition of high dependence on orbiting satellites."
- MAC calls for early passage of cross-strait agreement oversight bill CNA 06 Sep 2016 -- The head of the Cabinet-level Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) said Tuesday that she hoped a bill to monitor cross-Taiwan Strait pacts will clear the legislative floor as soon as possible and that negotiations between Taiwan and China can resume soon.
- Chinese official wants 'something new' from Taiwan's top negotiator CNA 06 Sep 2016 -- China's Taiwan affairs minister said Tuesday that he would like to know whether Taiwan's top negotiator with China will insist on the "political foundation" for cross-Taiwan Strait exchanges and come up with new ideas for moving bilateral ties forward.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|