26 August 2016 Military News
- OIF / OND / OEF / OIR / OFS Casualty Update 26 Aug 2016 [PDF]
- Counter-ISIL Strikes Hit Terrorists in Syria, Iraq AFPS 26 Aug 2016 -- U.S. and coalition military forces continued to attack Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant terrorists in Syria and Iraq yesterday, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials reported today.
- Update: air strikes against Daesh UK MOD 26 Aug 2016 -- British forces have continued to conduct air operations in the fight against Daesh
- Afghanistan Airstrike Kills at Least 24 VOA 26 Aug 2016 -- Warring sides in Afghanistan have made conflicting claims about an overnight airstrike in the troubled southern Helmand province in which at least 24 people died.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Former AFMC commander talks innovation, third offset AFNS 26 Aug 2016 -- Innovation and the nation's third offset strategy were topics brought forth by retired Gen. Gregory S. Martin, a former commander of Air Force Materiel Command, as he spoke with members of Edwards Air Force Base Aug. 24.
- DoD Studies 'Terminator' Weapons Conundrum, Selva Says AFPS 26 Aug 2016 -- Maybe the idea behind the "Terminator" movie franchise isn't so far-fetched.
- Southern Partnership Station 2016 Medical Engagement Team Completes Operation in Honduras NNS 26 Aug 2016 -- The Southern Partnership Station 2016 (SPS 16) Medical Engagement Team (MET), who partnered with Operation Blessing to conduct public health operations, completed their engagements in Honduras, Aug. 26.
- Navy SeaBees Team Up in El Salvador NNS 26 Aug 2016 -- A construction engagement team is currently midway through a construction project in Barrio El Calvario, Conchagua, El Salvador.
- First Fleet F35-C Carrier Qualifications, Final Round of Testing Conducted at Sea NNS 26 Aug 2016 -- The jet blast from seven F-35C Lightning II Joint Strike Fighter aircraft only added to the already intense summer heat and humidity on the flight deck of USS George Washington (CVN 73), Aug. 15, where the third and final round of at-sea developmental testing, or DT-III, was underway about 100 miles offshore from Virginia.
- EODGRU 2 Concludes Bold Alligator 2016 NNS 26 Aug 2016 -- Explosive Ordnance Disposal Group (EODGRU) 2 concluded participation in Exercise Bold Alligator 2016 (BA16) upon exercise completion Aug. 25.
- MKI ARG ready after successful COMPTUEX NNS 26 Aug 2016 -- The Makin Island Amphibious Ready Group (ARG), Amphibious Squadron (PHIBRON) 5 and the 11th Marine Expeditionary Unit (MEU) successfully completed Composite Training Unit Exercise (COMPTUEX) off the coast of Southern California, Aug. 25.
- Submarine Force Opens New Trainer in Guam NNS 26 Aug 2016 -- Naval Submarine Training Center Pacific (NSTCP) detachment (det) Guam held a ribbon cutting ceremony for the brand new Mobile Trainer (MT) 1000 submarine firefighting trainer on Polaris Point, Guam, Aug. 26.
- Fort Worth Completes Port Visit in Malaysia NNS 26 Aug 2016 -- USS Fort Worth (LCS 3) completed a port visit to Sepanggar, Malaysia Aug. 26 while on their transit back to homeport in San Diego.
- Undersecretary of Defense Visits U.S. Navy's Cyber Thought Leaders NNS 26 Aug 2016 -- The Undersecretary of Defense for Acquisition, Technology and Logistics (AT&L), Frank Kendall, visited the U.S. Navy's Space and Naval Warfare Systems Command's (SPAWAR) Old Town Campus and SPAWAR Systems Center Pacific's (SSC PAC's) facilities Aug. 24, 2016.
- Russian Division in Chukotka to Be Equipped With All-Terrain Vehicles Sputnik 26 Aug 2016 -- Russian troops in Chukotka will be equipped with all-terrain vehicles.
- Russia to Redeploy Jets to Tactical Airfields in Central, West, South Districts Sputnik 26 Aug 2016 -- Russian warplanes will be redeployed to airfields in the Southern, Western and Central military districts.
- Steinmeier Calls For New Arms Deal With Russia To Avoid Accidental War RFE/RL 26 Aug 2016 -- Germany's foreign minister is calling for a new arms control deal with Moscow as intensified military exercises by Russia and NATO have raised concerns that a war could inadvertently be triggered.
- China conducts joint military exercises with Russia, US, Australia: Defense Ministry People's Daily 26 Aug 2016 -- A series of joint military exercises among Chinese, Russian, U.S. and Australian troops is getting underway.
- China progressing over homemade aircraft carrier People's Daily 26 Aug 2016 -- China's Ministry of Defense is offering a bit more information about the country's first domestically-produced aircraft carrier.
- Belarus Regards NATO Troops Deployment Near its Borders as Security Challenge Sputnik 26 Aug 2016 -- Belarus regards the deployment of additional NATO troops near the country's borders as a potential security challenge, Foreign Minister Vladimir Makei said Friday.
- Spokesman for Foreign Ministry Raps Hostile Forces' Moves to Ratchet up Pressure on DPRK over Its SLBM Test-fire KCNA 26 Aug 2016 -- A spokesman for the Foreign Ministry of the DPRK released the following statement on Friday:
- Japan, US Slam North Korea's Ballistic Missile Launch as 'Unacceptable' Sputnik 26 Aug 2016 -- Washington and Tokyo agreed that Pyongyang's recent launch of a ballistic missile was unacceptable.
- UN Security Council Mute - Again - on N. Korea Missile Launch VOA 26 Aug 2016 -- North Korea's latest missile launch Tuesday brought a swift convening of the U.N. Security Council, but no united condemnation from the 15 members.
- Experts Speculate on North Korea's Motive for Ballistic Missile Test VOA 26 Aug 2016 -- North Korea's submarine-launched ballistic missile test on Wednesday is prompting analysts in Seoul to speculate about what might have motivated Pyongyang to conduct it.
- Indian Defense Minister Tries to Allay Concerns Over Scorpene Sub Data Leak Sputnik 26 Aug 2016 -- The information leak involving documents about the construction of Scorpene-class submarines is unlikely to have grave consequences, Indian Defense Minister Manohar Parrikar said on Friday.
- Defense minister: Iran aims to restore international peace, security IRNA 26 Aug 2016 -- Defense Minister Brigadier-General Hossein Dehqan said on Friday that the Islamic Republic of Iran spares no efforts to help restore international peace and security.
- Iran exports radars of every family: Defense Minister Press TV 26 Aug 2016 -- Iranian Defense Minister Brigadier General Hossein Dehqan says the Islamic Republic produces every type of radar and is currently exporting the domestically-manufactured equipment to some countries.
- U.S.: Actions By Iranian Vessels In Gulf Increase 'Risks Of Miscalculation' RFE/RL 26 Aug 2016 -- The White House has expressed concern after several close encounters between Iranian vessels and U.S. warships in the Persian Gulf this week.
- US Set to Ship First AH-6i Choppers to Riyadh Sputnik 26 Aug 2016 -- As the United States military withdraws from Saudi Arabia, Boeing is set to ship the first twelve AH-6i light attack and reconnaissance helicopters to Riyadh, after a one-month delay.
- Remarks With Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov at a Press Availability US Dept. of State 26 Aug 2016 -- Remarks by John Kerry, US Secretary of State
- Press Briefing by Press Secretary Josh Earnest, 8/26/2016 The White House 26 Aug 2016
- 26 August 2016 - Daily Press Briefing by the Office of the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General United Nations 26 Aug 2016
- Yemen missiles hit facilities of Saudi oil giant Aramco Press TV 26 Aug 2016 -- Yemeni forces have fired ballistic missiles at the facilities belonging to the Saudi state oil giant Aramco in the kingdom's southwest.
- Zarif rejects US claim of Iran arms shipment to Yemen Press TV 26 Aug 2016 -- Iran's foreign minister has categorically denied the US claims that Tehran ships arms to Yemen, saying Washington itself knows better which international parties spread terrorism throughout the world.
- Kerry tells Saudis war in Yemen should end now Press TV 26 Aug 2016 -- US Secretary of State John Kerry has called for an end to Yemen's 17-month conflict in his meetings with Saudi Arabian officials.
- 11 dead, 78 wounded as blast rocks Turkey's Sirnak Press TV 26 Aug 2016 -- At least 11 people have been killed after a car bomb attack targeted a security checkpoint in the southeastern province of Sirnak, sources say.
- Bombing May Be Sign of PKK Offensive After Turkey Incursion Into Syria VOA 26 Aug 2016 -- The Kurdistan Workers Party (PKK) claimed responsibility on Friday for a truck bombing at a security headquarters in Cizre, in southeastern Turkey near the Syrian border, that killed 11 officers and injured dozens more.
- Indian forces kill another protester in Kashmir Press TV 26 Aug 2016 -- Indian government forces have killed another protester in the town of Pulwama in Indian-controlled Kashmir.
- Rakhine Nationalists Reject Annan's Commission on Myanmar Ethnic Violence VOA 26 Aug 2016 -- Rakhine nationalists in Myanmar have rejected the news that former U.N. Secretary-General Kofi Annan will head a commission to discuss ethnic conflict and clashes in Myanmar's Rakhine state.
- South Sudan's Machar discharged from hospital in Khartoum Press TV 26 Aug 2016 -- South Sudan's rebel leader and former first vice president, Riek Machar, has been discharged from hospital in the Sudanese capital Khartoum after receiving treatment for a swollen leg.
- Philippine commandos kill 11 militants in Jolo Press TV 26 Aug 2016 -- Philippine commandos have killed 11 members of Abu Sayyaf militant group affiliated with the Takfiri Daesh terrorists on the southern island of Jolo.
- UN agencies urge efforts to halt Gaza's 'de-development' trajectory UN News 26 Aug 2016 -- Marking the second anniversary of the 2014 ceasefire which ended the most devastating round of hostilities in Gaza, heads of United Nations agencies there have called for a greater flow of material and funding to address humanitarian needs and boost economic prospects for Gaza's 1.9 million residents.
- Somali Forces End Deadly Restaurant Siege VOA 26 Aug 2016 -- Somali security forces say they have ended a deadly siege of a beach-front restaurant in the capital, with at least seven people killed in the attack along with two assailants.
- Greece facing 'serious challenges,' needs EU help to manage refugee crisis - UN agency chief UN News 26 Aug 2016 -- Greece still faces great challenges in managing its refugee crisis, particularly if European Union countries do not step up their relocation and family reunion programmes, the head of the United Nations refugee agency said during a recent visit to the country.
- UN chief 'looks forward' to peaceful, credible presidential election in Gabon UN News 26 Aug 2016 -- On the eve of the presidential election in Gabon, United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon today encouraged all Gabonese to vote responsibly and urged the candidates and other political stakeholders to abstain from any acts of incitement and maintain a peaceful atmosphere before, during and after the election.
- Supreme Leader lashes out lack of US commitment to JCPOA IRNA 26 Aug 2016 -- The Supreme Leader of the Islamic Revolution has criticized lack of US commitment to the landmark nuclear deal stressing that none of the US administrations are trustworthy.
- Russia's Floating Space Launch Pad to Be Sold in Early 2017 Sputnik 26 Aug 2016 -- Russia is expected to sell its Morskoi Start (Sea Launch) floating space launch pad in early 2017.
- President defends her policy shifts CNA 26 Aug 2016 -- President Tsai Ing-wen (蔡英文) on Friday defended her efforts to "adjust" her policies, saying that such adjustments are necessary to allow the country to achieve a sense of balance.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|