21 August 2016 Military News
- Military Strikes Target ISIL Terrorists in Syria, Iraq AFPS 21 Aug 2016 -- U.S. and coalition military forces continued to attack Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant terrorists in Syria and Iraq yesterday, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials reported today.
- Townsend Takes Command of Operation Inherent Resolve AFPS 21 Aug 2016 -- Army Lt. Gen. Stephen J. Townsend, commanding general of XVIII Airborne Corps based at Fort Bragg, North Carolina, assumed command of Combined Joint Task Force-Operation Inherent Resolve from Army Lt. Gen. Sean MacFarland, the commander of III Armored Corps based at Fort Hood, Texas, during a transfer of authority ceremony held here today, according to CJTF-OIR officials.
- Afghan forces retake district in Kuduz Province Press TV 21 Aug 2016 -- Security forces in Afghanistan have retaken control of a northeastern district in the country that had fallen to Taliban militants hours earlier.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Bold Alligator provides platform to test new warfighting concepts USMC News 21 Aug 2016 -- Bold Alligator is widely known as the largest joint, multi-national amphibious assault exercise series on the East Coast. However, a lesser-known aspect of the series includes limited objective experimentation to expose participants to new technologies, applications and concepts that will inform future warfighting capabilities.
- Carl Vinson Completes INSURV Phase V NNS 21 Aug 2016 -- The crew of the aircraft carrier USS Carl Vinson (CVN 70) completed Phase V of the Board of Inspection and Survey Inspection (INSURV), August 17.
- Moscow's No-Fly Zones: Russia to Get New Long-Range Missile Interceptor Sputnik 21 Aug 2016 -- An advanced long-range missile interceptor is due to be put into service with the Russian Aerospace Forces in the near future, according to the Forces' Deputy Commander-in-Chief Viktor Gumenny.
- Simple Yet Reliable: New Russian Armored Vehicles to Receive Slat Armor Sputnik 21 Aug 2016 -- All advanced Russian armored vehicles will be protected from modern tandem weapons with the help of slat armor, according to the newspaper Izvestia.
- Obama Wants $8bn Fighter Jet Deal With Kuwait, Bahrain, Qatar in Last 100 Days Sputnik 21 Aug 2016 -- The arms deal with the Gulf dictatorships completely contravenes established US law prohibiting the transfer of arms to regimes that have shown a propensity to turn those weapons on their own civilians.
- Chinese air force drill in Sea of Japan People's Daily 21 Aug 2016 -- The Chinese military has revealed a bomber squadron with the East China Sea Fleet have recently conducted a long-range combat drill in the Sea of Japan.
- India to Purchase 36 Dassault Rafale Stealth Fighter Jets from France Sputnik 21 Aug 2016 -- The fighter jet is considered by some analysts to be the most lethal warplane hovering the skies today due to its elite stealth capabilities making it comparable to a 5th generation combat aircraft.
- Taiwan to hold annual live-fire exercise CNA 21 Aug 2016 -- The Ministry of National Defense announced Sunday the drafting of reservists ahead of the start of Taiwan's annual live-fire exercise the following day.
- Iran takes big steps in cruise missile area: Defense minister IRNA 21 Aug 2016 -- Minister of defense announced here Sunday that his Ministry has taken big steps toward improving capabilities of its marine cruise missiles.
- Iran unveils new long-range missile system ISNA 21 Aug 2016 -- Iran unveiled 'Bavar 373' missile system in a ceremony attended by Iranian President Hassan Rouhani on Sunday.
- Rouhani unveils home-made plane turbo-jet engine ISNA 21 Aug 2016 -- Iranian President Hassan Rouhani unveiled the first home-made plane turbo-jet engine of the country concurrent with Iranian National Day of Defense Industry on Sunday.
- Iran to build supersonic maritime cruise missiles soon: Dehqan Press TV 21 Aug 2016 -- Iranian Defense Minister Brigadier General Hossein Dehqan says the country plans to produce marine cruise missiles with supersonic speed in the near future.
- Rouhani visits expo displaying Iran air defense achievements Press TV 21 Aug 2016 -- Iran's President Hassan Rouhani has paid a visit to a Defense Ministry exhibition showcasing the latest achievements in the air defense industry, including the domestically-built Bavar-373 air defense system.
- Iran May Start Production of Supersonic Cruise Missiles in Near Future Sputnik 21 Aug 2016 -- Iranian Defense Minister Hossein Dehghan said that Iran had succeeded in producing rapid vessels and had taken effective steps to make torpedoes and submarines.
- Home-Grown: Iran Unveils Its Own Long-Range Bavar-373 Air Defense System Sputnik 21 Aug 2016 -- Iranian President Hassan Rouhani on Sunday unveiled the country's long-awaited Bavar-373 air defense missile system with characteristics similar to Russia's S-300, according to the local media reports.
- South China Sea Time Bomb: Beijing Sets "Red Line" on Japan-US Joint Operations Sputnik 21 Aug 2016 -- The Chinese Ambassador to Japan warned that Beijing would not concede on the demand or relinquish their sovereignty over the South China Sea even if it meant the two countries went to war.
- Yemen's Houthis, Hadi loyalists swap 30 prisoners Press TV 21 Aug 2016 -- Yemen's Houthi Ansarullah movement and militiamen loyal to resigned president Abd Rabbuh Mansur Hadi have exchanged nearly three dozen prisoners captured during clashes between the two sides.
- Turkey to Expand Military Role in Syria, Says Assad May Be Part of Transition Sputnik 21 Aug 2016 -- Turkish Prime Minister Binali Yildirim announced on Saturday that Turkey is going to take more active role on Syria in next six months. He also announced Turkey's position that President Bashar Al-Assad can be part of transition in Syria.
- Iraqi airstrike kills 19 senior Daesh commanders east of Mosul Press TV 21 Aug 2016 -- More than a dozen commanders of the Takfiri Daesh terrorist group have been killed when Iraqi fighter jets carried out a precision strike in Iraq's troubled northern province of Nineveh.
- Forces loyal to Libya's unity government pound Daesh in Sirte Press TV 21 Aug 2016 -- The air force units of Libya's Government of National Accord (GNA) have carried out a series of airstrikes against pockets of Daesh terrorists in the northern city of Sirte.
- Israel pounds Gaza Strip, two Palestinians injured Press TV 21 Aug 2016 -- The Israeli military pounded the town of Beit Hanoun in northern Gaza Strip on Sunday, injuring two Palestinians.
- 3 killed in suspected Boko Haram bombing in Cameroon Press TV 21 Aug 2016 -- Three people have been killed and two dozen others injured in a bombing carried out by a suspected member of the Boko Haram Takfiri terrorist group in Cameroon's volatile northern region, security officials say.
- Delta Avengers announce ceasefire with Nigeria Press TV 21 Aug 2016 -- The Niger Delta Avengers (NDA), known for its attacks on Nigeria's oil installations, has announced a ceasefire, saying it will support the notion of holding talks with the government in Abuja.
- DR Congo opposition calls for nationwide strike Press TV 21 Aug 2016 -- The main opposition group in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) has called for a general strike in the country following the government's refusal to hold an early presidential election.
- CAR Seeks Justice Over Child Abuse Committed by French Peacekeepers Sputnik 21 Aug 2016 -- The CAR is seeking justice for the victims of French troops who sexually abused children while they were on a peacekeeping mission.
- Kerry in Kenya for Talks on Keeping the Peace in South Sudan VOA 21 Aug 2016 -- U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry is in Nairobi, Kenya, where he will hold talks with East African foreign ministers on ways to stop neighboring South Sudan from sliding back into civil war.
- Al-Shabab Attack Kills 20 in Central Somalia VOA 21 Aug 2016 -- At least 20 people died when two suicide car bombs rocked a local government building and a nearby market in Galkayo, central Somalia, witnesses and officials said.
- Deadly bomb, gun attack targets government office in Somali town Press TV 21 Aug 2016 -- Al-Shabab militants have killed 17 people in an attack on the local government headquarters in a town in north-central Somalia.
- Turkey Recalled About 300 Diplomats After Thwarted Coup Sputnik 21 Aug 2016 -- Turkish authorities have recalled around 300 diplomats from abroad diplomatic missions, following the July coup attempt, local media reported Sunday.
- Turkey's Erdogan Links Child Suicide Bomber to Wedding Massacre VOA 21 Aug 2016 -- Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan says a child suicide bomber carried out Saturday's attack on a wedding party in southeast Turkey, killing at least 51 people and wounding scores of others, many of them critically.
- President says JCPOA was Iran's moral victory IRNA 21 Aug 2016 -- President Hassan Rouhani said Sunday nuclear deal dubbed as Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA), among other things, was also a moral victory for people of Iran.
- Park Geun Hye Group Accused of Floating Story of Letting North's Abductees Settle in S. Korea KCNA 21 Aug 2016 -- The Park Geun Hye group of traitors in south Korea which had kept the women abductees of the DPRK in custody for over four months despite the strong denunciation and demand for their repatriation at home and abroad recently made public that they let those girls "be free and settle in society".
- Protesters rally against pro-independence candidates poll ban in Hong Kong Press TV 21 Aug 2016 -- Hundreds of protesters have taken to the streets in Hong Kong against a government decision to disqualify candidates advocating territorial independence ahead of the legislative elections in September.
- Turkish parliament approves normalization deal with Israel People's Daily 21 Aug 2016 -- The Turkish parliament on Saturday approved the normalization deal reached with Israel last month, ending a six-year rift and paving the way for the restoration of full diplomatic ties, Daily Sabah reported.
- Philippine president slams 'inutile' UN Press TV 21 Aug 2016 -- President Rodrigo Duterte of the Philippines has lashed out at the United Nations (UN) for calling on him to stop a wave of killings attributed to his war on drugs.
- Philippines President Threatens to Quit UN Sputnik 21 Aug 2016 -- Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte threatened Sunday that his country could leave the United Nations after the organization urged him to end what it deems extrajudicial killings, local media reported.
- Clinton Campaign Suggests Trump May Be Kremlin 'Puppet' RFE/RL 21 Aug 2016 -- Democratic U.S. presidential candidate Hillary Clinton's campaign manager says Republican rival Donald Trump should explain "the extent to which the Kremlin is at the core" of his campaign, her team's latest suggestion of Russian meddling in the November 8 election.
- Trump Calls Russia an Ally, Says Hillary Wants 'Something Worse' Than Cold War Sputnik 21 Aug 2016 -- Speaking on the conservative "Savage Nation" radio show, the Republican nominee was undeterred by weeks of media attacks labeling him a secret agent of the Kremlin vowing cooperation with Russia in the fight against Daesh while working to resolve conflicts between the countries.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|