09 August 2016 Military News
- OIF / OND / OEF / OIR / OFS Casualty Update 09 Aug 2016 [PDF]
- Military Strikes Continue Against ISIL Terrorists in Syria, Iraq AFPS 09 Aug 2016 -- U.S. and coalition military forces continued to attack Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant terrorists in Syria and Iraq yesterday, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials reported today.
- US Special Operations troops deployed to Libya: Report Press TV 09 Aug 2016 -- A number of US Special Operations troops have been deployed in Libya purportedly to help local forces fighting against the Daesh (ISIL) terrorist group, a report says.
- Afghan civilians flee to Lashkar Gah as Taliban advances in Helmand Press TV 09 Aug 2016 -- Thousands of Afghan civilians have fled to the provincial capital city of Lashkar Gah as the Taliban militants are reportedly advancing on several areas of the southern province of Helmand.
Defense Policy / Programs
- 1967 solar storm nearly took US to brink of war American Geophysical Union 09 Aug 2016 -- A solar storm that jammed radar and radio communications at the height of the Cold War could have led to a disastrous military conflict if not for the U.S. Air Force's budding efforts to monitor the sun's activity, a new study finds.
- USS Boxer Completes South China Sea Patrol NNS 09 Aug 2016 -- Amphibious assault ship USS Boxer (LHD 4) completed a routine patrol in international waters of the South China Sea Aug. 6.
- USNS Walter S. Diehl Conducts Training, Drills to Sharpen Readiness After Yard Period NNS 09 Aug 2016 -- Military Sealift Command's (MSC) fleet replenishment oiler USNS Walter S. Diehl (T-AO 193) recently conducted shipboard training in Sembawang Shipyard, Aug. 8, after a Regular Overhaul (ROH) period.
- Colombian AF general commands air component during joint exercise AFNS 09 Aug 2016 -- For the first time, a Colombian general led the simulated air war during U.S. Southern Command's annual Panamax exercise from July 29-Aug. 4 at Davis-Monthan Air Force Base.
- Air Force and Navy Medical Teams Integrate at Sea NNS 09 Aug 2016 -- Airmen from the U.S. Air Force 379th Expeditionary Medical Group (EMG), Mobile Field Surgical Team (MFST) and Expeditionary Critical Care Team (ECCT) are embarked aboard amphibious transport dock USS San Antonio (LPD 17).
- Boxer Arrives in Malaysia for Port Call NNS 09 Aug 2016 -- Amphibious assault ship USS Boxer (LHD 4), along with the embarked 13th Marine Expeditionary Unit, arrived in Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia, Aug. 9, for a scheduled port visit.
- USS Whidbey Island Transits Suez Canal NNS 09 Aug 2016 -- Amphibious dock landing ship USS Whidbey Island (LSD 41), with embarked U.S. Marines of the 22nd Marine Expeditionary Unit (MEU), transited the Suez Canal and entered the U.S. 5th Fleet area of operations, Aug. 7.
- Readout of Pacific Fleet commander's meeting with PLA Navy North Sea Fleet commander NNS 09 Aug 2016 -- Adm. Scott Swift, commander of the U.S. Pacific Fleet, visited the People's Liberation Army (PLA) Navy North Sea Fleet headquarters where he met with fleet commander Vice Adm. Yuan Yubai, Aug. 8. Swift joined Yuan on a tour of the PLA(N) frigate Daqing (FFG 576) the following day.
- B-2s conduct deployment to Indo-Asia-Pacific USSTRATCOM 09 Aug 2016 -- Three B-2 Spirits deployed from Whiteman Air Force Base, Missouri, to Andersen AFB, Guam, in the U.S. Pacific Command area of operations August 9.
- Russia to Use Syrian Combat Experience in Upgrading Helicopter Blades Sputnik 09 Aug 2016 -- Russia will use its aerial combat experience in Syria to replace classic metal helicopter rotor blades with ones made from composite materials.
- Putin Submits Accord to Damascus for Russian Air Force Deployment to Syria Sputnik 09 Aug 2016 -- Russian President Vladimir Putin has submitted an agreement with Damascus on the deployment of a Russian air force group in Syria for ratification by the lower house of parliament, an entry in the official database of the State Duma confirmed Tuesday.
- PLA unveils weapons preview for the first time, details projects worth 3.7 billion yuan People's Daily 09 Aug 2016 -- The People's Liberation Army (PLA) has made public for the first time a directory of weapons projects that are still in the preliminary phases of research and development. The directory includes weapons for the entire army, the funds for which top 3.7 billion yuan.
- Chinese railway transportation falls short of military demand People's Daily 09 Aug 2016 -- China's rapidly-developing railway system has yet to meet the military's demand for transportation, a newspaper affiliated with the People's Liberation Army (PLA) admitted, after photos of PLA soldiers traveling in boxcars triggered online discontent.
- Hsuehshan Tunnel to be closed for Han Kuang military exercises CNA 09 Aug 2016 -- The Hsuehshan Tunnel, which connects the greater Taipei area with northeastern Taiwan's Yilan County, will be closed for the first time for the annual Han Kuang military exercises at the end of August.
- Kingdom of Saudi Arabia - M1A2S Saudi Abrams Main Battle Tanks and M88Al/A2 Heavy Equipment Recovery Combat Utility Lift Evacuation System (HERCULES) Armored Recovery Vehicles (ARV) DSCA 09 Aug 2016 -- The State Department has made a determination approving a possible Foreign Military Sale to the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia for M1A2S Saudi Abrams Main Battle Tanks and M88Al/A2 Heavy Equipment Recovery Combat Utility Lift Evacuation System (HERCULES) Armored Recovery Vehicles (ARV), equipment, training, and support. The estimated cost is $1.15 billion. The Defense Security Cooperation Agency delivered the required certification notifying Congress of this possible sale on August 8, 2016.
- US approves $1.15 billion sale of arms to Saudi Arabia Press TV 09 Aug 2016 -- The United States has approved the sale of more than 130 Abrams tanks, 20 armored recovery vehicles and other equipment worth about $1.15 billion to Saudi Arabia.
- France sells 30 military helicopters to Kuwait Press TV 09 Aug 2016 -- France and Kuwait agreed Tuesday upon the purchase of 30 Airbus Caracal helicopters in a deal worth more than one billion dollars.
- US Delivers $50Mln in Military Equipment to Lebanese Army - US Ambassador Sputnik 09 Aug 2016 -- The United States has delivered over $50 million in military assistance, including weapons and artillery, to the Lebanese Army, US Ambassador to Lebanon Elizabeth Richard said during a ceremony at the Beirut Port on Tuesday.
- August 9, 2016 - U.S. Department of State Daily Press Briefing US Dept. of State 09 Aug 2016
- 9 August 2016 - Daily Press Briefing by the Office of the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General United Nations 09 Aug 2016
- INTERVIEW: UN senior advisor discusses blueprint to strengthen global responses for refugees and migrants UN News 09 Aug 2016 -- Following five months of negotiations, United Nations Member States agreed on 2 August by consensus upon a political declaration that will serve as the basis for discussions and the outcome of the first-ever UN Summit on Addressing Large Movements of Refugees and Migrants which will be held, on 19 September, at UN Headquarters in New York.
- Tensions Escalate Between China, Japan Over Disputed Islands VOA 09 Aug 2016 -- Japan says relations with China are "remarkably deteriorating" over the continued appearance of Chinese naval ships sailing near a group of disputed islands in the East China Sea.
- China Building Up Military Presence at South China Sea Disputed Islands Sputnik 09 Aug 2016 -- Recent satellite photos reveal that China is building up its military presence at the disputed Spratly islands in the South China Sea, according to media reports.
- Japan, China engage in war of words over disputed East China sea Press TV 09 Aug 2016 -- China and Japan have stepped up a war of words in their long-running row over the sovereignty of East China Sea islands after Tokyo summoned Beijing's ambassador to protest China's activities in the disputed waters.
- Children paying 'heaviest price' of Yemen conflict, UNICEF warns amid reports of escalating violence UN News 09 Aug 2016 -- Four children were reportedly killed and three were injured on 7 August in the Nihm District, east of the Yemeni capital, Sana'a, the United Nations Children's Fund (UNICEF) said in a statement today.
- Saudi air raids claim 33 civilian lives in Yemen Press TV 09 Aug 2016 -- At least 30 civilians have been killed as Saudi fighter jets pounded several Yemeni provinces in a blatant violation of a UN-brokered ceasefire between the warring sides there.
- 200 UAE-trained pro-Hadi forces enter Yemen Press TV 09 Aug 2016 -- Some 200 Saudi-backed Yemeni troops, who were trained by the United Arab Emirates (UAE), have arrived in the southern Yemeni island of Socotra.
- As temperatures soar and taps run dry in war-ravaged Aleppo, UN warns of looming 'catastrophe' UN News 09 Aug 2016 -- As the United Nations relief wing warned today that soaring temperatures and dwindling medical supplies are deepening the woes of some two million people trapped by fighting in and around Aleppo, the world body kept up its call for an immediate halt to the hostilities and, at a minimum, a two-day weekly humanitarian pause so the city's heavily damaged water and electrical systems can be repaired.
- Syrian forces retake district in SW Aleppo from terrorists Press TV 09 Aug 2016 -- Syrian army soldiers and their allied fighters have managed to recapture a district on the southwestern outskirts Aleppo, where fighting rages on between government troops and terrorists to gain control of the strategic city.
- UK special forces pictured in Syria's front line for first time Press TV 09 Aug 2016 -- British special forces have been pictured on the front line in Syria, the first photographic evidence of UK troops operating in the war-ravaged country.
- Over 2 million people could be trapped in Syria's Aleppo: UN Press TV 09 Aug 2016 -- The United Nations (UN) has warned that millions of people could be trapped in Syria's strategic northwestern city of Aleppo as government forces and foreign-sponsored Takfiri militants are gearing up for a decisive battle for the city.
- Syrian Air Force Resumes Intensive Strikes on Terrorists in Southern Aleppo Sputnik 09 Aug 2016 -- The Syrian Air Force on Tuesday resumed heavy bombardment of terrorist positions in the Ramuse district of southern Aleppo.
- UN: 2 Million in Syria's Aleppo Without Running Water, Electricity VOA 09 Aug 2016 -- The United Nations warned Tuesday that more than 2 million people in the Syrian city of Aleppo have no access to running water or electricity, and it called for a halt to the fighting to repair the damaged infrastructure and deliver humanitarian aid.
- Libya Getting More US Help in Fight Against Islamic State VOA 09 Aug 2016 -- Increased U.S. airstrikes in Libya could be the start of an effort to smother the Islamic State terror group as it tries to cling to a key North African stronghold.
- Libyan forces retake new area from Daesh in Sirte Press TV 09 Aug 2016 -- Fighters affiliated with Libya's Government of National Accord (GNA) have recaptured a new area in Sirte as they push ahead with their military operation to fully liberate the Daesh-held city.
- Joint Statement Welcoming the Sudan Call's Signing of the AUHIP Roadmap US Dept. of State 09 Aug 2016 -- The text of the following statement was issued jointly by the Governments of the United States of America, the United Kingdom, Norway, Germany, and the European Union.
- Sudan: Ban welcomes signing of peace roadmap by opposition groups UN News 09 Aug 2016 -- Welcoming the signing by Sudanese opposition groups of an African Union-brokered roadmap for ending conflicts in the country, United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon today called the parties to "maintain this positive momentum" and work towards agreement on cessation of hostilities.
- Guns Of August: Fears Of Full-Scale War Return As Casualties Mount In Ukraine RFE/RL 09 Aug 2016 -- Framed by a tiny cutout in the fortified bunker, this particular piece of no-man's land is tinted a blood-reddish orange by the setting summer sun.
- Peace, unity in Kashmir everyone's priority, Modi says Press TV 09 Aug 2016 -- India's Prime Minister Narendra Modi has reacted to the recent violence in Indian-controlled Kashmir, saying the volatile Himalayan region deserves more government attention.
- Israel plans to build 2,500 illegal settler units in West Bank Press TV 09 Aug 2016 -- The Israeli regime has drawn up a plan to build 2,500 illegal settler units in the occupied West Bank in defiance of widespread calls to halt such unauthorized construction activities in the Palestinian lands.
- Milosevic 'Exonerated'? War-Crime Deniers Feed Receptive Audience RFE/RL 09 Aug 2016 -- Strange mid-summer news: A U.K.-based pundit, in an op-ed piece in RT, sensationally claims that the late Slobodan Milosevic has been "exonerated" by the UN court that deals with war crimes that took place during the Balkan wars of the 1990s.
- Ban welcomes election timetable in Somalia, says 'milestone' process must be fair and transparent UN News 09 Aug 2016 -- Welcoming today the announcement by Somalia of a timetable for the 2016 electoral process, United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon noted that process for the upcoming polls, which sets October for presidential elections, is an important milestone in the country's journey towards democracy.
- Urgent farming support needed amid rampant food insecurity in parts of north-east Nigeria - UN agency UN News 09 Aug 2016 -- As more areas previously controlled by Boko Haram become accessible to humanitarian assistance, a critical opportunity has arisen to tackle "alarming levels" of food insecurity in north-east Nigeria, the United Nations Food and Agricultural Organization (FAO) said today.
- DR Congo: Human Rights Watch Researcher Barred Human Rights Watch 09 Aug 2016 -- The government of the Democratic Republic of Congo has blocked a senior Human Rights Watch researcher from continuing to work in the country, Human Rights Watch said today. The authorities' revocation of Ida Sawyer's work permit is the government's latest attempt to curtail human rights reporting during a period of increased government repression.
- Trump Says Clinton E-Mails To Blame For Iranian Scientist's Execution RFE/RL 09 Aug 2016 -- U.S. Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump said his rival Hillary Clinton's e-mails may be responsible for the death of an Iranian nuclear scientist who was executed for spying for the United States.
- We all want to restart dialogue, Putin tells Erdogan Press TV 09 Aug 2016 -- Russian President Vladimir Putin met with his Turkish counterpart Recep Tayyip Erdogan in Saint Petersburg Tuesday, a sign of normalization of relations that soured after the shooting down of a Russian warplane by a Turkish jet last November.
- Putin, Erdogan Vow New Era Of Close Relations RFE/RL 09 Aug 2016 -- The presidents of Russia and Turkey vowed to open a new period of close relations as they rebuild ties between their countries after a nearly seven-month rupture over Ankara's shooting down of a Russian warplane last year.
- Putin Wants to Restore Full Ties With Turkey VOA 09 Aug 2016 -- Russian President Vladimir Putin has agreed to work toward restoring full relations with Turkey, but said rebuilding trade ties will be time consuming.
- Turkey: US Failure to Hand Over Gulen Would 'Sacrifice Relations' VOA 09 Aug 2016 -- Turkey on Tuesday warned the United States that if it fails to extradite Fethullah Gulen, the Pennsylvania-based cleric Turkey accuses of planning a failed coup attempt, it would cause great harm to relations between the countries.
- Turkey Suspends 2,650 Religious Personnel Over Ties With Gulen Sputnik 09 Aug 2016 -- Turkish Directorate of Religious Affairs suspended 2,650 employees on suspicion of having ties with Fethullah Gulen, Muslim cleric whom Ankara considers responsible for the failed military coup attempt in the country, local media reported Tuesday.
- Turkey has formally arrested over 16,000 over failed coup: Minister Press TV 09 Aug 2016 -- Turkey says it has formally placed upwards of 16,000 people under arrest on the suspicion that they played a role in the failed coup in the country last month.
- Supreme Leader appreciates services of Intelligence Ministry IRNA 09 Aug 2016 -- Supreme Leader of the Islamic Revolution Ayatollah Seyyed Ali Khamenei on Tuesday appreciated services of the intelligence ministry to safeguard national security.
- Iraqi defense minister survives assassination attempt Press TV 08 Aug 2016 -- Iraqi Defense Minister Khalid al-Obeidi has survived an assassination attempt during a trip to the county's northern regions.
- Iraqi Defense Minister Unharmed After Assassination Attempt Near Mosul Sputnik 09 Aug 2016 -- Iraqi Defense Minister Khaled Obaidi has survived an assassination attempt near Iraq's second-largest city of Mosul in the north of the country, escaping uninjured, the Iraqi Defense Ministry said Tuesday.
- Iraq lifts parliamentarians' immunity over graft probe Press TV 09 Aug 2016 -- The Iraqi parliament has voted to strip the immunity of the legislature's speaker and two lawmakers in a bid to allow an investigation into corruption charges brought against the trio by Defense Minister Khalid al-Obeidi.
- Beijing to seek to take more Taiwan fraud suspects to China: MOFA CNA 09 Aug 2016 -- Following the latest in a series of telecom fraud cases in which Taiwanese suspects caught in Kenya have been taken to China to face trial there at the demand of Beijing, a Foreign Ministry official said Tuesday that Beijing will seek to bring more Taiwanese suspects to China to be tried there.
- Ethiopia Protests Highlight Growing Solidarity Between Oromia, Amhara Regions VOA 09 Aug 2016 -- The death toll from weekend protests in Ethiopia has climbed to nearly 100, by some accounts. Hundreds of people have also reportedly been arrested and many have been injured.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|