04 August 2016 Military News
- OIF / OND / OEF / OIR / OFS Casualty Update 04 Aug 2016 [PDF]
- ISIL Knows It Will Lose, Already Shifting Strategy, Obama Says at Pentagon AFPS 04 Aug 2016 -- After presiding at a meeting of his National Security Council in the Pentagon today, President Barack Obama said Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant leaders know they will lose in Syria and Iraq, and they are already shifting their strategy in advance of that sure defeat.
- Counter-ISIL Strikes Hit Terrorists in Syria, Iraq AFPS 04 Aug 2016 -- U.S. and coalition military forces continued to attack Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant terrorists in Syria and Iraq yesterday, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials reported today.
- Obama to Discuss Anti-IS Fight With US Military, Security Leaders VOA 04 Aug 2016 -- As the U.S. military ramps up its military role in Libya, President Barack Obama is preparing to meet with Thursday with top military and national security advisors to discuss the fight against Islamic State.
- U.S. Airstrikes Support Government of National Accord in Libya AFPS 04 Aug 2016 -- U.S. Africa Command officials today announced results of the recent precision airstrikes conducted against Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant targets in Sirte, Libya.
- Taliban Attack Foreigners in Afghanistan's Western Herat Province VOA 04 Aug 2016 -- The Taliban Thursday claimed responsibility for ambushing a group of U.S. and European tourists in Afghanistan's western Herat province, wounding six of the tourists and their Afghan driver.
- Pakistani chopper crash-lands in eastern Afghanistan, occupants feared captured by Taliban Press TV 04 Aug 2016 -- A Pakistani helicopter has crash-landed in Taliban-controlled territory in eastern Afghanistan, with all passengers and crew feared captured by the militant group.
Defense Policy / Programs
- HMH-462, Royal Canadian Air Force supports 3/1 USMC News 04 Aug 2016 -- Marine Heavy Helicopter Squadron (HMH) 462 and units with the Royal Canadian Air Force supported 3rd Battalion, 1st Marine Regiment during Rim of the Pacific (RIMPAC) 2016 on Marine Corps Base Camp Pendleton, California, July 28.
- 2nd ANGLICO, HMH-461 team up for troop lift training USMC News 04 Aug 2016 -- Marines with Marine Heavy Helicopter Squadron 461 supported 2nd Air Naval Gun Liaison Company by conducting a troop lift exercise at Marine Corps Air Station New River, July 28, 2016.
- Carl Vinson Conducts 3-Ship Replenishment at Sea NNS 04 Aug 2016 -- Aircraft carrier USS Carl Vinson (CVN 70) teamed up with guided-missile destroyer USS Wayne E. Meyer (DDG 108) and fleet replenishment oiler USNS Yukon (T-AO 202) to conduct a three-ship replenishment-at-sea (RAS), Aug. 2.
- Russia's State-of-the-art Tu-214R Spy Plane Successfully Passes Syria Test Sputnik 04 Aug 2016 -- Russia's Tu-214R reconnaissance aircraft fitted with cutting-edge optical and electronic equipment and radar systems has successfully fulfilled all of its tasks in the Syrian sky, according to Russia's Defense Ministry.
- Russia Ready to Discuss Baltic Sea Region Security - Defense Ministry Sputnik 04 Aug 2016 -- Moscow is ready to discuss security issues in the Baltic region, as soon as "the partners are ready for such dialogue," according to the statement of the Russian Defense Ministry.
- Canada Sending 200 Troops to Ukraine to Continue Military Training Sputnik 04 Aug 2016 -- Ottawa has started the deployment of some 200 troops to Ukraine to continue military training, Canadian Armed Forces said in a press release on Thursday.
- Why Location of China-Russia South China Sea Drill Matters VOA 04 Aug 2016 -- China's newly-announced plan to stage its first joint naval drill with Russia in the South China Sea has analysts wondering: where exactly in the sensitive region will the exercise take place?
- War at Sea': Chinese Defense Chief Calls on Country to Be Ready for Combat Sputnik 04 Aug 2016 -- In a sign of growing escalation, China's Defense Ministry has called on the country's military, police and general population to be ready to defend territorial claims in the South China Sea.
- China will never compromise its security interests in THAAD deployment: People's Daily People's Daily 04 Aug 2016 -- Deploying the Terminal High Altitude Area Defense (THAAD) in South Korea will pose a serious threat to China's strategic security, and China will by no means compromise such interests, read an editorial published in the People's Daily on Wednesday.
- Seoul, Beijing blast Japan's defense paper as Tokyo seeks stronger military role in Asia-Pacific People's Daily 04 Aug 2016 -- South Koreahas joined China in opposing Japan's 2016 defense white paper, a policy document Tokyo is using to justify its efforts to move away from an isolated and pacifistic defense posture to a more active one.
- Japan's new defense chief criticizes North Korea, China Press TV 04 Aug 2016 -- Japan's new Defense Minister Tomomi Inada has criticized North Korea and China over their military activities in the region.
- US, South Korea to Boost Joint Maritime Security Ties in Western Pacific Sputnik 04 Aug 2016 -- South Korean Chief of Naval Operations Admiral Jung Ho-sub said that he agreed with US Chief of Naval Operations Admiral John Richardson the importance of alliance, particularly navy-to-navy, to deal with the "threat from the North Korea," as well as the instability that may take place in the South China Sea.
- South Korea Claims Pyongyang Has Plan to Improve Missile Technology Sputnik 04 Aug 2016 -- South Korea's Permanent Representative to the United Nations Oh Joon says North Korea has a systematic plan to upgrade and refine its missile technology.
- Kim Jong Un Guides 3rd Meeting of KPA Activists in O Jung Hup-led 7th Regiment Title Movement KCNA 04 Aug 2016 -- The 3rd Meeting of Activists of the Korean People's Army (KPA) in the Movement for Winning the Title of O Jung Hup-led 7th Regiment was held at the April 25 House of Culture here on August 2-3.
- DPRK slams S. Korean president for justifying THAAD deployment People's Daily 04 Aug 2016 -- The Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) on Wednesday slammed South Korean President Park Geun-hye for her remarks on the North's nuclear and missile threats to justify her government's deal with Washington to introduce a missile shield.
- China blocks UNSC from condemning North Korea missile launch Press TV 04 Aug 2016 -- China has blocked a US-drafted UN Security Council statement condemning North Korea over its latest missile test.
- North Korean Missile Tests Creating Divisions in Asia VOA 04 Aug 2016 -- The United Nations Security Council remains divided over how to respond to North Korea's increasingly provocative missile tests, while Japan and South Korea continue to face opposition at home and abroad for pursuing more aggressive military policies.
- India, Russia Sign $300Mln Deal on Upgrade of 10 Ka-28 Helicopters - Indian Navy Sputnik 04 Aug 2016 -- According to navy spokesman, Indian Navy and Russian state arms exporter Rosoboronexport signed a deal worth nearly $300 million to modernize 10 Russia-produced Ka-28 anti-submarine helicopters.
- India Eyeing Deal With Russia to Buy Project 21300C Rescue Ship Sputnik 04 Aug 2016 -- India is considering buying Russian ships and submarines, a source close to the Indian Defense Ministry told RIA Novosti on Thursday.
- Russia to sell refueling planes to India Press TV 04 Aug 2016 -- Russian media say the country is in talks with India over selling six Ilyushin transport aircraft to the country.
- Pentagon Blocks $300 Million in Military Aid for Pakistan VOA 04 Aug 2016 -- The Pentagon has withheld $300 million in military aid to Pakistan, according to U.S. military officials.
- August 4, 2016 - U.S. Department of State Daily Press Briefing US Dept. of State 04 Aug 2016
- Press Conference by the President After Meeting with National Security Officials The White House 04 Aug 2016
- 4 August 2016 - Daily Press Briefing by the Office of the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General United Nations 04 Aug 2016
- OPCW, UN Should Probe Recent Syrian Chemical Weapons Attack Reports Sputnik 04 Aug 2016 -- The US wants the (OPCW) and the UN to investigate allegations of recent chemical attacks in Syria even though Washington has not seen conclusive evidence to back up the claims, US Department of State deputy spokesperson Mark Toner said in a press briefing on Thursday.
- Syrian Democratic Forces Seize Strategic Locations in Daesh-Held Manbij Sputnik 04 Aug 2016 -- The Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) alliance of militias recaptured strategically important locations in the northern Syrian city of Manbij, according to the SDF's press service.
- Aid agencies ready to help ease suffering in 'iconic' Aleppo, once truce is secured - UN envoy UN News 04 Aug 2016 -- As fighting in and around battle-scarred Aleppo intensifies, along with diplomatic efforts to secure a truce, United Nations agencies and their partners are "ready, willing and able" to rush aid to the desperate people trapped there, a senior UN envoy said today, stressing that a humanitarian pause is critical, both to allow relief workers to enter the area, and for civilians to leave voluntary.
- Obama 'Not Confident' Russia Can Help End Syrian War VOA 04 Aug 2016 -- President Barack Obama on Thursday cast extreme doubt on whether the United States could trust Russia as a partner to end the Syrian civil war.
- Analysis: Why The Battle For Aleppo Could Change The Direction Of The War In Syria RFE/RL 04 Aug 2016 -- The Syrian civil war is as confusing and opaque as it is sadistic and bloody. On one side stands Syrian President Bashar al-Assad, a barbarous tyrant backed by Iran and Russia, Hizbullah, and Shi'ite militias from Iraq, the remnants of the Syrian army, and the odd Kurdish splinter group.
- Pakistan Brushes Aside Skepticism of Anti-terror Campaign VOA 04 Aug 2016 -- Pakistan again brushed aside U.S. skepticism of its anti-terror efforts Thursday, saying Pakistani security forces are attacking militant groups without distinguishing between "good and bad" terrorists.
- Egypt says killed Daesh leader in Sinai Peninsula Press TV 04 Aug 2016 -- The Egyptian military says it has killed the leader of the Daesh Takfiri group operating in a restive Sinai region northeast of the country.
- Daesh 'appoints new leader for Nigeria-based Boko Haram' Press TV 04 Aug 2016 -- The Takfiri Daesh terrorist group has purportedly appointed a new leader for its Nigeria-based affiliate, Boko Haram.
- UN agency welcomes 'landmark step' by North and Central American countries to protect refugees UN News 04 Aug 2016 -- The United Nations refugee agency today welcomed a joint commitment by nine North and Central American countries acknowledging the need for stronger protection of asylum-seekers, refugees and internally displaced people in the region, where crime and gang violence have driven thousands of people from their homes.
- SPLA Committed Widespread Violations in July, UN Human Rights Chief Says VOA 04 Aug 2016 -- The United Nations Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights is calling on the Security Council to take tougher action after finding that South Sudan security forces killed civilians, raped women and girls, and looted and destroyed property with near total impunity.
- South Sudan's government forces committed widespread violations in July fighting - UN UN News 04 Aug 2016 -- Preliminary United Nations investigations into the recent fighting in South Sudan reveal Government security forces carried out killings and rapes, and looted and destroyed properties, the UN human rights chief said today, calling on the Security Council to take stronger action.
- Russian Troop Buildup Along Ukraine Border Raises War Fears VOA 04 Aug 2016 -- Russia's steady buildup of military forces along its border with Ukraine is raising concerns that Moscow, which annexed Crimea in 2014 and then began backing separatists in eastern Ukraine militarily – including with Russian troops – may be considering an overt military campaign against its southwestern neighbor.
- Turkish-NATO Relations Under Strain Over Gulen Extradition Request Sputnik 04 Aug 2016 -- Relations between Turkey and NATO are becoming increasingly strained, following the attempted military coup in July, however, NATO will continue to deal with Turkey for strategic military reasons, Sputnik has been told.
- Turkey issues formal arrest warrant for Gulen over coup Press TV 04 Aug 2016 -- A court in Turkey has issued an arrest warrant for Fethullah Gulen, a US-based opposition cleric blamed by the Ankara government for the failed military coup in the country last month.
- Rights experts 'deeply disturbed' at erosion of media freedom in Venezuela - UN human rights office UN News 04 Aug 2016 -- The United Nations Special Rapporteur on the right to freedom of opinion and expression, David Kaye, and the Inter-American Special Rapporteur on freedom of expression, Edison Lanza, expressed concern at the eroding media freedom in Venezuela, citing a number of reported incidents of harassments of journalists and media groups.
- White House Rejects Charges It Paid Iran Ransom To Free Prisoners RFE/RL 04 Aug 2016 -- The White House has rejected a charge from Republican leaders that it secretly paid Iran $400 million in cash in January as ransom for the release of imprisoned Americans.
- US Denies $400 Million to Tehran Was Ransom Payment VOA 04 Aug 2016 -- Secretary of State John Kerry says the U.S. "does not pay ransom" amid criticism of the Obama administration's payment of $400 million in cash to Iran on the same day Tehran released four American hostages.
- US Payment of $400Mln to Iran Not Negotiated by Nuclear Deal Team - Kerry Sputnik 04 Aug 2016 -- US Secretary of State John Kerry said that Washington's nuclear deal negotiator team did not discuss with Tehran the $400-million cash payment made by the United States.
- Iran nuclear activities never stop: AEOI official IRNA 04 Aug 2016 -- Deputy head of the Atomic Energy Organization of Iran (AEOI) Aliasghar Zareian said on Thursday that the country's various activities in the field of peaceful nuclear industry will never stop.
- Iraq to expel remaining MKO terrorists in 45 days: Iran envoy Press TV 04 Aug 2016 -- Iraq is set to expel the remaining members of the terrorist anti-Iran Mujahedin-e Khalq Organization (MKO) from its soil in the near future, a senior Iranian diplomat says.
- South Africa Voters Rebuke Ruling Party at Polls VOA 04 Aug 2016 -- Election results released Thursday show South African voters turning away from the long-dominant African National Congress party in large numbers, and denying them an outright win in major urban areas.
- Brazil impeachment committee recommends Rousseff removal Press TV 04 Aug 2016 -- A special Senate committee in Brazil has recommended that the full upper house should remove suspended president Dilma Rousseff from office, one day ahead of the opening of the 2016 Olympics in the city of Rio.
- What Hong Kong's Loyalty Pledge Says About Its Future VOA 04 Aug 2016 -- Voters in Hong Kong will be electing members of the territory's Legislative Council September 4. During past election cycles, candidates only needed to attest they would uphold the freedoms guaranteed in Hong Kong's Basic Law and pledge allegiance to the territory; this time, however, candidates running for office needed to sign an additional pledge saying Hong Kong was an inalienable part of China.
- Hindu Groups Oppose Entry of Islamic Finance in India VOA 04 Aug 2016 -- A Sharia-compliant international bank's plan to launch its business in India is facing opposition from Hindu groups that say an Islamic bank should not be allowed to operate in a secular country.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|