20 July 2016 Military News
- OIF / OND / OEF / OIR / OFS Casualty Update 20 Jul 2016 [PDF]
- Strikes Continue Against ISIL Terrorists in Syria, Iraq AFPS 20 Jul 2016 -- U.S. and coalition military forces continued to attack Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant terrorists in Syria and Iraq yesterday, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials reported today.
- Update: air strikes against Daesh UK MOD 20 Jul 2016 -- British forces have continued to conduct air operations in the fight against Daesh
- Dunford: Military Pressure, Intelligence Sharing Key to ISIL's Defeat AFPS 20 Jul 2016 -- Military pressure and intelligence sharing are two key elements in defeating the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant, the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff said in a recent interview.
- Carter Convenes Counter-ISIL Coalition Meeting at Andrews AFPS 20 Jul 2016 -- Coalition partners are looking for ways to build on the momentum of the counter-Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant campaign as they meet at Joint Base Andrews, Maryland, today.
- US Hosts 30 Nation Coalition Against Islamic State VOA 20 Jul 2016 -- Defense ministers from more than 30 countries have reviewed and agreed upon the next steps for taking on the Islamic State terror group in its final strongholds.
- Carter: Defense Ministers Agree on Next Steps in Counter-ISIL Fight AFPS 20 Jul 2016 -- Defense ministers and other senior leaders of the counter-Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant coalition have agreed on next steps in the accelerated fight against the terrorist army in Iraq and Syria, Defense Secretary Ash Carter said today.
- Joint Press Conference by Secretary Carter and Gen. Votel on the Counter-ISIL Coalition, Joint Base Andrews, Maryland DoD 20 Jul 2016 -- Presenter: Secretary of Defense Ash Carter and General Joseph Votel, commander of U.S. Central Command
Defense Policy / Programs
- CNO visits Chinese North Sea Fleet; Underscores Importance of International Law NNS 20 Jul 2016 -- Chief of Naval Operations (CNO) Adm. John Richardson visited Chinese North Sea Fleet headquarters, July 20 to meet with fleet commander Vice Adm. Yuan Yubai.
- US Navy says it will keep operating in South China Sea Press TV 20 Jul 2016 -- The United States says its military forces will continue to operate in the disputed South China Sea in accordance with international law.
- 100-plus aircraft fly in for exercise Red Flag 16-3 AFNS 20 Jul 2016 -- The three-week long Red Flag 16-3, a U.S.-only exercise that tests all participating units' combat capabilities in a joint environment that centers on multi-domain integration, kicked off here July 11.
- Readout of Secretary of Defense Ash Carter's Meeting with Kingdom of Saudi Arabia's Deputy Crown Prince and Minister of Defense Mohammed bin Salman DoD 20 Jul 2016
- Readout of Secretary Carter's meeting with Australian Minister for Defense Marise Payne DoD 20 Jul 2016
- Second RIMPAC 2016 Sinking Exercise Concludes NNS 20 Jul 2016 -- Live fire from ships and aircraft participating in Rim of the Pacific 2016 sank the decommissioned USS Crommelin (FFG 37) July 19 in waters 15,000 feet deep and 55 nautical miles north of Kauai, Hawaii.
- A-10s deploy to Slovakia for cross-border training AFNS 20 Jul 2016 -- The 122nd Fighter Wing has deployed eight A-10 Thunderbolt IIs and about 140 Airmen here for a month-long combined training event in support of Operation Atlantic Resolve.
- Growlers soar with B-1Bs around Ellsworth AFB AFNS 20 Jul 2016 -- Navy EA-18G Growlers have joined B-1B Lancers during the past several weeks in the skies around Ellsworth Air Force Base for electronic attack training.
- Readout of Secretary Carter's Meeting with French Minister of Defense Jean-Yves Le Drian DoD 20 Jul 2016
- MWSS-171 blasts through first stage of Eagle Wrath 2016 USMC News 20 Jul 2016 -- U.S. Marines with Marine Wing Support Squadron 171, based out of Marine Corps Air Station Iwakuni, completed the first stage of Eagle Wrath 2016 at Combined Arms Training Center Camp Fuji, Japan, July 17, 2016.
- NATO Secretary General attends meeting of Counter-ISIL Coalition NATO 20 Jul 2016 -- NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg attended a meeting of the Counter-ISIL Coalition at Joint Air Base Andrews, Maryland on Wednesday (20 July 2016). Discussions focused on the military campaign against ISIL and reaffirmed nations' resolve to degrade and defeat the terrorist organisation.
- New Naval Sonar Network to Allow Russia to 'Hear' Enemy Subs Via Satellites Sputnik 20 Jul 2016 -- Russia develops a unique sonar system capable of detecting enemy ships and submarines at a distance of hundreds of kilometers via a satellite network, according to the newspaper Izvestia.
- US to sell bombs to UAE worth $785 million: Pentagon Press TV 20 Jul 2016 -- The United States will sell the United Arab Emirates $785 million worth of bombs as part of the so-called campaign against Daesh in Iraq and Syria, the Pentagon says.
- New Ukrainian Mortars 'Got Rusty' in Less Than a Month Sputnik 20 Jul 2016 -- A shipment of Ukrainian-made mortars, which were recently delivered to the country's armed forces proved, to be virtually unfit for battlefield conditions.
- India and US Agree to Enhance Cooperation at Sea Sputnik 20 Jul 2016 -- India and the US have agreed to strengthen their cooperation in the maritime sector during Shipping Minister Nitin Gadkari's visit to the US.
- Minister: Part of S-300 missile defense system installed IRNA 20 Jul 2016 -- Part of S-300 missile defense system was installed, Minister of Defense and Logistics of the Armed Forces Brigadier-General Hossein Dehqan said on Wednesday.
- Kim Jong Un Guides Drill for Ballistic Rocket Fire KCNA 20 Jul 2016 -- Supreme Commander of the Korean People's Army (KPA) Kim Jong Un, chairman of the Workers' Party of Korea (WPK) and chairman of the State Affairs Commission of the DPRK, provided field guidance to the drill for ballistic rocket fire of the Hwasong artillery units of the KPA Strategic Force.
- DPRK Foreign Ministry Spokesman Rejects British Prime Minister's Comment about DPRK's "Nuclear Threat" KCNA 20 Jul 2016 -- A spokesman for the DPRK Foreign Ministry on Wednesday gave the following answer to a question raised by KCNA as regards the British prime minister's comment about the "nuclear threat" from the DPRK:
- Foreign Ministry Spokesman Slams U.S. for Finding Fault with DPRK's Ballistic Rocket Firing Drill KCNA 21 Jul 2016 -- A spokesman for the Foreign Ministry of the DPRK gave the following answer to a question raised by KCNA Thursday in connection with the fact that the U.S. found fault with the ballistic rocket firing drill conducted by the Korean People's Army:
- DPRK top leader guides ballistic rocket test-firing People's Daily 20 Jul 2016 -- Top leader of the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) Kim Jong Un has guided a test firing of a ballistic rocket of the Hwasong artillery units of the strategic force of the military, the official news agency KCNA reported Wednesday.
- Missile test simulates nuke strikes on US targets in S Korea: Pyongyang Press TV 20 Jul 2016 -- Pyongyang says its latest ballistic missile test simulates the launching of preemptive nuke strikes against US bases in South Korea, and was personally monitored by North Korea's Supreme Leader Kim Jong-un.
- Royal Navy statement: 20 July 2016 UK MOD 20 Jul 2016 -- At approximately 1330 local time today, HMS Ambush, an Astute-class submarine, while submerged and conducting a training exercise was involved in a glancing collision with a merchant vessel off the coast of Gibraltar.
- Defence Secretary underlines UK commitment on US visit UK MOD 20 Jul 2016 -- In his first visit to the US since the forming of the new Government, Michael Fallon met with Counter-Daesh coalition partners.
- Press Briefing by Press Secretary Josh Earnest, 7/20/2016 The White House 20 Jul 2016
- 20 July 2016 - Daily Press Briefing by the Office of the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General United Nations 20 Jul 2016
- South China Sea arbitration decided by biased arbitrators People's Daily 20 Jul 2016 -- The arbitration over the South China Sea dispute unilaterally initiated by the former Philippine government is in fact a celebration among rogue arbitrators, who have hidden their selfish motives under the guise of the rule of law.
- Taiwan Fishing Boats Start Trip to Defend Contested Island VOA 20 Jul 2016 -- Five fishing boats set out Wednesday for Taiwan's chief islet in the contested South China Sea to dispute a world arbitration court ruling that calls the tiny land form a rock rather than an island, meaning there are no rights to an exclusive economic zone in the surrounding waters.
- Yemen's Houthis demand direct talks with Saudi Arabia Press TV 20 Jul 2016 -- Yemen's Houthi Ansarullah movement says it should directly talk to Saudi Arabia because the kingdom's current interlocutors in peace talks have no authority of their own.
- Islamic State Losses Prompt Central Asian Fighters to Return Home VOA 20 Jul 2016 -- As the Islamic State group loses territory in Iraq and Syria, many IS foreign recruits are believed to be returning to their home countries.
- US-backed Kurdish Forces Benefiting From Oil in Syria VOA 20 Jul 2016 -- When Kurdish-led forces took control of Shaddadi in northeastern Syria in February, they not only pushed back Islamic State militants who had been there for nearly one year, but they also got hold of the sprawling oil fields that stretch into the desert.
- Syria airstrikes kill over 100 Daesh terrorists in Hama Press TV 20 Jul 2016 -- More than 100 members of the Daesh Takfiri terrorist group have been killed in airstrikes by Syrian warplanes on their positions in the western province of Hama.
- US, French raids kill 140 civilians in Syria Press TV 20 Jul 2016 -- Airstrikes by the United States and France inside Syria have killed as many as 140 civilians in a northwestern city and on its outskirts over the past two days, the Syrian government says.
- Syrian Airstrikes Kill Over 100 Daesh Fighters in Hama Province Sputnik 20 Jul 2016 -- The Syrian Arab Air Force destroyed a convoy of vehicles armed with machine guns near the city of Salamiyah and killed about a hundred of militants, according to local media.
- Remarks at the Pledging Conference in Support of Iraq US Dept. of State 20 Jul 2016 -- Remarks by John Kerry, US Secretary of State
- Half of Iraq's Daesh-held territories liberated: Kerry Press TV 20 Jul 2016 -- US Secretary of State John Kerry says the momentum in the fight against the Daesh (ISIL) terrorist group has shifted and Daesh has lost half of the land it once controlled in Iraq.
- Canada Pledges $358Mln Humanitarian, Stabilization Support for Iraq Sputnik 20 Jul 2016 -- A three-year aid package for Iraq includes $158 million in humanitarian support and up to $200 million in additional financing for the Iraqi government, Canadian Minister of Foreign Affairs Stephane Dion announced in a press release.
- Iraq: UN seeks $284M to start aid response ahead of Mosul military operation UN News 20 Jul 2016 -- One of the top United Nations officials in Iraq is warning that an expected military operation in Mosul will lead to the largest and most dramatic humanitarian crisis in the world, which could impact as many as 1.5 million civilians.
- Aid Agencies Prepare for Mosul Assault, Warn of Potential Catastrophe VOA 20 Jul 2016 -- Aid agencies, aware of the recent massive failure to help families fleeing the fierce fighting in Fallujah, are strengthening their plans for the expected military operations on the IS stronghold of Mosul city.
- French Government Spokesman Confirms Special Forces Presence in Libya Sputnik 20 Jul 2016 -- French troops are in Libya, government spokesman Stephane Le Foll confirmed on Wednesday.
- Three French Soldiers Killed During Operation in Libya VOA 20 Jul 2016 -- Three French soldiers have been killed in Libya, according to the country's defense ministry.
- Three French soldiers killed in Libya: Defense ministry Press TV 20 Jul 2016 -- The French Defense Ministry says three of its soldiers have been killed in Libya while on a mission; the first official confirmation that France has ground forces in the North African country.
- South Sudan: Demonstrators protest outside UN compound without incidents UN News 20 Jul 2016 -- A thousand people today demonstrated in front of a United Nations compound in Juba, the capital of South Sudan, the UN Mission in the country announced, and dispersed without incidents after handing over a petition.
- UN agency steps up operations in South Sudan to thwart possible cholera outbreak UN News 20 Jul 2016 -- Dozens of people in South Sudan may have cholera, the United Nations children's agency today announced, saying it is working with partners to step up its operations to avoid a possible cholera outbreak in the country.
- Uganda army evacuates 38,000 people from South Sudan Press TV 20 Jul 2016 -- The Ugandan army has evacuated 38,000 civilians trapped by battles in South Sudan's capital of Juba since July 15, a military spokesman says.
- Mali: UN mission decries deadly attack against Malian military camp UN News 20 Jul 2016 -- The United Nations peacekeeping mission in Mali today strongly condemned an attack against a military camp and its checkpoints in Nampala, in the central part of the country.
- 17 Malian Soldiers Killed as Conflict in Country's Center Deepens VOA 20 Jul 2016 -- Suspected Islamist militants have attacked an army base in central Mali, killing 17 soldiers.
- MSF Reports Humanitarian Catastrophe in Nigeria's Borno State VOA 20 Jul 2016 -- Doctors Without Borders (Médecins Sans Frontières, or MSF) is calling for a major aid response to a humanitarian catastrophe in northeastern Nigeria's war-torn Borno state, where at least 500,000 people are in urgent need of food, medical care, water and shelter.
- Turkey's State of Emergency Seen as Paving Way for Purge VOA 20 Jul 2016 -- In a move seen as paving the way for further purging of his opponents, Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan declared a state of emergency in Turkey after a coup attempt Friday failed to topple him and his government.
- Erdogan Declares 3-Month State of Emergency VOA 20 Jul 2016 -- Turkey's president has declared a three month state of emergency following last week's attempted coup.
- Turkey's Erdogan Declares State Of Emergency After Failed Coup RFE/RL 20 Jul 2016 -- Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan announced a three-month state of emergency starting July 21 to augment the government's power to avenge last week's bloody coup attempt.
- Erdogan's Former Chief Military Adviser Arrested Over Failed Military Coup Sputnik 20 Jul 2016 -- Colonel Ali Yazici, the chief military adviser to Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has been remanded, according to Anadolu News, in relation to last week's failed coup attempt.
- Turkish Army Turncoats Targeted Prime Minister's Convoy During Coup Sputnik 20 Jul 2016 -- Turkish Prime Minister Binali Yildirim's convoy was targeted by members of the Gendarmerie on the Friday night of the failed coup attempt in the country while he was traveling from Istanbul to Ankara, local media reported, citing the Turkish interior minister on Wednesday.
- India's Counterterrorism Agency Files Charges Against 16 Daesh Suspects Sputnik 20 Jul 2016 -- India's National Investigation Agency (NIA) has filed charges against 16 suspected Daesh operatives from across the country who have already been arrested; they have been accused of recruiting for the self-proclaimed Islamic State and financing their radicalization and training.
- More People Killed in Terrorist Attacks in 2015 Than a Year Earlier VOA 20 Jul 2016 -- The number of people killed in terrorist attacks throughout Europe rose in 2015 from a year earlier, according to the European Union police agency.
- Report: Islamic State Exploited Local Grievances to Recruit VOA 20 Jul 2016 -- It is one of the more vexing problems facing intelligence agencies across much of the world – trying to understand the phenomenon that has caused tens of thousands of people to leave their homes and take up arms for the Islamic State terror group.
- Salehi: Iran not agreed with unveiling long-term N. program ISNA 20 Jul 2016 -- Head of Atomic Energy Organization of Iran (AEOI) Ali-Akbar Salehi said that Iran overall does not agree with unveiling its long-term nuclear program.
- Larijani urges AEOI to devise plan to set up nuclear enrichment plant IRNA 20 Jul 2016 -- Majlis Speaker Ali Larijani urged the Iranian nuclear body to start devising plans for setting up a nuclear enrichment plant.
- EU statement on JCPOA joint commission meeting in Vienna ISNA 20 Jul 2016 -- The European Union issued a statement as the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action Commission (JCPOA) joint commission meeting between Iran and the P5 + 1 was wrapped up.
- US appeals court reverses forfeiture order of Iran assets Press TV 20 Jul 2016 -- A US federal court order benefiting the families of some victims of the September 11, 2001, terrorist attack and others has been reversed on appeal.
- Iran can roll back nuclear program if JCPOA breached: Salehi Press TV 20 Jul 2016 -- The head of the Atomic Energy Organization of Iran (AEOI) has warned that Tehran can roll back its nuclear program if the other side to the country's nuclear agreement violates the deal.
- One year on, Iran deal 'best' way to ensure peaceful nuclear programme - UN chief UN News 20 Jul 2016 -- United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon today said that the nuclear deal agreed to last year by Iran and six world powers is the best way of ensuring the exclusively peaceful nature of Iran's nuclear programme, calling for the comprehensive implementation of the accord, as well as a subsequent Security Council resolution that endorsed it.
- Iran foils sabotage acts, arrests 10 in southeast Press TV 20 Jul 2016 -- The Iranian security forces have managed to arrest a group of saboteurs in the southeastern border city of Khash in the province of Sistan and Baluchestan.
- No ground for Daesh activities in Iran: IRGC commander Press TV 20 Jul 2016 -- The commander of Iran's Islamic Revolution Guards Corps (IRGC) says there is no ground for the Daesh Takfiri terrorist group to infiltrate the country.
- India Continues to Push China to Support Its Nuclear Supply Group Bid Sputnik 20 Jul 2016 -- India will continue to engage China in order to obtain support for its inclusion in the Nuclear Suppliers Group, External Affairs of India, Sushma Swaraj said in the Parliament.
- Israeli Parliament Passes Law That Could Unseat Arab Lawmakers VOA 20 Jul 2016 -- Israel's parliament on Wednesday passed a law that enables members to impeach lawmakers who incite violence and racism, but critics fear it could be used to target Arab legislators.
- Venezuela opposition says closer to Maduro recall Press TV 20 Jul 2016 -- Opposition leaders in Venezuela say they are closer to holding a referendum to recall President Nicolas Maduro later this year.
- United States Seeks to Recover More Than $1 Billion Obtained from Corruption Involving Malaysian Sovereign Wealth Fund US Dept. of Justice 20 Jul 2016 -- Attorney General Loretta E. Lynch announced today the filing of civil forfeiture complaints seeking the forfeiture and recovery of more than $1 billion in assets associated with an international conspiracy to launder funds misappropriated from a Malaysian sovereign wealth fund. Today's complaints represent the largest single action ever brought under the Kleptocracy Asset Recovery Initiative.
- Assistant Attorney General Leslie R. Caldwell Delivers Remarks at Press Conference Announcing Significant Kleptocracy Enforcement Action to Recover More Than $1 Billion Obtained from Corruption Involving Malaysian Sovereign Wealth Fund US Dept. of Justice 20 Jul 2016
- Attorney General Loretta E. Lynch Delivers Remarks at Press Conference Announcing Significant Kleptocracy Enforcement Action to Recover More Than $1 Billion Obtained from Corruption Involving Malaysian Sovereign Wealth Fund US Dept. of Justice 20 Jul 2016
- US Moves to Seize Assets Allegedly Bought with Stolen Malaysian Funds VOA 20 Jul 2016 -- The United States is trying to seize more than a billion dollars' worth of luxury real estate, artwork and jewelry that authorities allege was bought with assets stolen from a Malaysian state fund.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|