19 July 2016 Military News
- OIF / OND / OEF / OIR / OFS Casualty Update 19 Jul 2016 [PDF]
- Counter-ISIL Strikes Target Terrorists in Syria, Iraq AFPS 19 Jul 2016 -- U.S. and coalition military forces continued to attack Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant terrorists in Syria and Iraq yesterday, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials reported today.
- Briefing on the Counter-ISIL Ministerial US Dept. of State 19 Jul 2016 -- Special Briefing by Brett McGurk, Special Presidential Envoy for the Global Coalition To Counter ISIL, Office of the Special Presidential Envoy for the Global Coalition to Counter ISIL
- Ministerial Meeting of the Expanded Small Group of the Global Coalition to Counter ISIL US Dept. of State 19 Jul 2016 -- U.S. Secretary of State Kerry and U.S. Secretary of Defense Ash Carter will host foreign and defense ministers of the Global Coalition to Counter ISIL in Washington D.C., on July 21, 2016, for the first joint ministerial of the Counter ISIL Coalition.
- Retaking Mosul Is 'Now Upon Us' Top US Official Declares VOA 19 Jul 2016 -- Some U.S. and Iraqi officials are voicing growing optimism about the prospects of retaking the key city of Mosul from the Islamic State terror group sooner than first anticipated.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Readout of Deputy Secretary Bob Work's Meeting with Latvian Minister of Defense Raimonds Bergmanis DoD 19 Jul 2016
- Readout of Secretary Carter's Call with Turkish Minister of Defense Fikri Işik DoD 19 Jul 2016
- Coastal Riverine Squadron 2 Returns From Deployment NNS 19 Jul 2016 -- Sailors assigned to Coastal Riverine Squadron (CRS) 2, based out of Joint Expeditionary Base Little Creek-Fort Story, Virginia, returned home July 19 following a six-month deployment supporting operations across four areas of responsibility.
- F-15's new advanced high-speed mission computer makes first flight AFNS 19 Jul 2016 -- Boeing's F-15 mission systems recorded its first flight with the Advanced Display Core Processor II at Eglin Air Force Base, Florida, on July 8.
- New mobile system boosts network capabilities at Fairchild AFNS 19 Jul 2016 -- Technicians at the 92nd Communications Squadron here have developed an innovative way to rapidly introduce network capabilities to customers who need network access quickly.
- Mobility Airmen remain committed to Army's airborne mission AFNS 19 Jul 2016 -- Air Mobility Command aircrews participated in the 82nd Airborne Division's battalion mass tactical week at Fort Bragg, North Carolina, from July 11-15.
- Reservists keep aircraft flying in huge Pacific exercise AFNS 19 Jul 2016 -- One of the few common threads interwoven between the 26 nations and more than 200 aircraft participating in the Rim of the Pacific 2016 exercise is the need for fuel -- and a lot of it.
- From Ship to Shore, 4th Tank Bn. Kicks off Annual Training USMC News 19 Jul 2016 -- 4th Tank Battalion, 4th Marine Division, Marine Forces Reserve, kicked off its main annual training event July 12, 2016, aboard Marine Corps Base Camp Pendleton, California.
- MARFORRES Marines improve Alaskan infrastructure during IRT Old Harbor USMC News 19 Jul 2016 -- Marines from units across Marine Forces Reserve are participating in Innovative Readiness Training Old Harbor, Alaska, April 26 – August 6, 2016.
- US, Singapore Armed Forces Increase Complexity, Enhance Longstanding Partnership during CARAT NNS 19 Jul 2016 -- The 22nd annual Cooperation Afloat Readiness and Training (CARAT) exercise between the U.S. Navy, U.S. Marine Corps, and Republic of Singapore Armed Forces held opening ceremonies at Changi Naval Base July 19.
- Iraq, Kuwait, US to Conduct First Trilateral Exercise in US 5th Fleet NNS 19 Jul 2016 -- The U.S. Navy, Army and Coast Guard together with Iraqi and Kuwaiti navies and Kuwait Coast Guard, solidified the creation of the first in a series of U.S.-Iraq-Kuwait trilateral exercises following an initial planning conference held at Naval Support Activity Bahrain, July 13.
- Department of the Navy, Dominion Virginia Power Agree to Develop More Solar in Virginia NNS 19 Jul 2016 -- The Department of the Navy (DON) and Dominion Virginia Power (Dominion) announced plans today to build a 21 megawatt (MW) direct current (DC) (18 MW alternating current) solar facility at Naval Air Station (NAS) Oceana in Virginia Beach, Virginia.
- NATO and Russia: Balancing defence with dialogue - Opinion piece by NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg NATO 19 Jul 2016 -- European security is being challenged on many fronts. In the last week alone, we have seen another devastating terrorist attack in France and a failed coup attempt in Turkey. The threats posed by terrorism and instability are real and all NATO Allies are working together to keep our people safe.
- The UK decides to renew continuous at sea deterrent UK MOD 19 Jul 2016 -- Defence Secretary Michael Fallon welcomes decision to renew the UK's continuous at sea deterrent.
- British Parliament Votes to Renew Trident Nuclear Arms Program Sputnik 19 Jul 2016 -- With a vote of 472 to 117, British lawmakers approved the modernization of the country's aging nuclear weapons system and will add four new nuclear submarines to its fleet.
- North Korea missile tests 'deeply troubling,' UN says Press TV 19 Jul 2016 -- The UN slammed North Korea Tuesday for its recent missile tests, saying the launches undermine efforts to reduce tension on the Korean Peninsula.
- DPRK test-fires 3 short-range missiles in show of force People's Daily 19 Jul 2016 -- The Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) on Tuesday test-fired three short-range ballistic missiles in a show of force against the decision between Seoul and Washington to deploy the Terminal High Altitude Area Defense(THAAD) to South Korean soil.
- North Korea launches 3 ballistic missiles off its east coast Press TV 19 Jul 2016 -- North Korea has launched three ballistic missiles just over a week after threatening a physical response to the US's deployment of a missile system in the South.
- North Korea Responds to THAAD With Missile Test VOA 19 Jul 2016 -- North Korea test fired three ballistic missiles on Tuesday, a week after it threatened to retaliate against South Korea over the deployment of the THAAD missile defense system.
- India Set to Miss Another Promise Over Rafale Fighter Jet Deal Sputnik 19 Jul 2016 -- India's deal with France to purchase Rafale fighter planes is taking more time than expected as the two sides have yet to reconcile their differences over a number of issues related to the deal.
- Japan - SM-2 Block IIIB Standard Missiles DSCA 19 Jul 2016 -- The State Department has made a determination approving a possible Foreign Military Sale to Japan for SM-2 Block IIIB Standard missiles, equipment, and support. The estimated cost is $821 million. The Defense Security Cooperation Agency delivered the required certification notifying Congress of this possible sale on July 15, 2016.
- United Arab Emirates - Munitions, Sustainment, and Support DSCA 19 Jul 2016 -- The State Department has made a determination approving a possible Foreign Military Sale to the United Arab Emirates for munitions, sustainment, and support. The estimated cost is $785 million. The Defense Security Cooperation Agency delivered the required certification notifying Congress of this possible sale on July 15, 2016.
- Joint Press Availability With U.K. Foreign Secretary Boris Johnson US Dept. of State 19 Jul 2016 -- Remarks by John Kerry, Secretary of State
- July 19, 2016 - U.S. Department of State Daily Press Briefing US Dept. of State 19 Jul 2016
- Daily Press Briefing by the Press Secretary Josh Earnest, 7/19/2016 The White House 19 Jul 2016
- 19 July 2016 - Daily Press Briefing by the Office of the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General United Nations 19 Jul 2016
- Philippines Rejects Conditional Talks with China on South China Sea VOA 19 Jul 2016 -- The foreign secretary of the Philippines says his government has rejected an offer by China to discuss their territorial dispute in the South China Sea, because Beijing will not permit last week's ruling by an international court to serve as the basis of the talks.
- People's Daily unmasks manipulator behind South China Sea arbitration People's Daily 19 Jul 2016 -- Published on Monday, the article names Yanai, a Japanese diplomat and former president of the International Tribunal for the Law of the Sea (ITLOS), played a key role in the case. He appointed four of the five-member arbitral tribunal on the South China Sea case, the fifth appointed by the Philippines.
- Beijing 'will never' halt island work People's Daily 19 Jul 2016 -- China's naval chief told a visiting US Navy officer on Monday that Beijing "will never give up halfway" the construction of its islands in the South China Sea.
- China vows to continue construction in disputed sea Press TV 19 Jul 2016 -- Beijing has pledged to continue its construction activities in the South China Sea despite an international court ruling against its claims to rights in the disputed waters.
- China Rhetoric Turns Tough After Unfavorable Tribunal Ruling VOA 19 Jul 2016 -- In an attempt to maximize its gains in the South China Sea dispute, the Chinese military is getting tough in its rhetoric, a sign analysts say that in comparison to the U.S.'s quiet diplomacy Beijing is adopting a dual-track strategy, following an unfavorable international arbitration ruling.
- Vietnamese Nationalism Surges Over South China Sea Ruling VOA 19 Jul 2016 -- Vietnam's top celebrities are showing millions of their fans where they stand on last week's landmark court ruling that favors the Philippines over Beijing's massive South China Sea claims.
- President reiterates ROC's sovereignty over South China Sea CNA 19 Jul 2016 -- President Tsai Ing-wen (蔡英文) reiterated Tuesday the Republic of China's sovereignty over islands in the South China Sea and vowed to uphold the country's rights in the region based on international law.
- Syrian Arab Coalition Captures ISIL Headquarters in Manbij AFPS 19 Jul 2016 -- The Syrian Arab Coalition captured an Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant headquarters July 17 in the western part of the city of Manbij in Syria, according to a Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve news release issued today.
- US-led air raids leave 56 civilians dead in N Syria: Monitor Press TV 19 Jul 2016 -- At least 56 civilians have lost their lives in northern Syria due to air strikes by the US-led coalition purportedly targeting Daesh terrorists operating in the violence-wracked Middle Eastern country, says a UK-based monitoring group.
- US-Backed Forces Capture Daesh Syria Headquarters at Hospital in Manbji Sputnik 19 Jul 2016 -- Syrian Arab Coalition forces captured the Daesh's headquarters in the Syrian city of Manbij and seized a significant amount of the city during the operation, which provided civilians the opportunity to escape, according to US Central Command's Combined Joint Task Force.
- Daesh may relocate amid losses in Libya's Sirte, UN warns Press TV 19 Jul 2016 -- The UN chief has warned that Daesh terrorists may set up new terror cells in Libya and North Africa as Libyan forces are advancing further against the Takfiri group in Sirte, its major stronghold.
- Cameroon Pressured for Accountability in Fight Against Boko Haram VOA 19 Jul 2016 -- Although Cameroon has received praise for its military action to push Boko Haram out of the northern part of the country and neighboring Nigeria, Amnesty International is criticizing the Cameroonian security forces for crimes including extrajudicial killings, torture and holding prisoners in inhumane conditions.
- 12 Malian soldiers killed in militant attack on army base in Nampala Press TV 19 Jul 2016 -- At least a dozen Malian soldiers were killed Tuesday in an attack by militants on an army base in the city of Nampala in central Mali.
- Maoist rebels kill 10 Indian paramilitary soldiers in ambush Press TV 19 Jul 2016 -- Maoist rebels have killed at least 10 paramilitary soldiers in an ambush in eastern India, police sources say.
- Indian forces open fire on Kashmiri protesters, kill 3 Press TV 19 Jul 2016 -- At least three people have been killed as Indian forces opened fire on the protesters who were out on the streets in defiance of a curfew in the Indian-controlled Kashmir region.
- Colombia court approves referendum on peace deal with FARC Press TV 19 Jul 2016 -- A Colombian high court has backed a government bill to hold a popular referendum on a peace deal being negotiated with rebels of the Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia (FARC).
- AU approves deployment of 'robust' force to South Sudan Press TV 19 Jul 2016 -- The African Union (AU) has approved a proposal to send a regional protection force to South Sudan with a "robust" mandate to contain the violence there amid criticisms of the failure of a similar UN mission.
- Kenyan Evacuees Return from South Sudan VOA 19 Jul 2016 -- At 1 p.m. East African time Tuesday, around 100 Kenyan evacuees – mostly women and children – disembarked from a chartered flight at the Jomo Kenyatta International Airport in the capital Nairobi.
- Turkey Escalates Purge of Teachers, Workers Allegedly Connected to Failed Coup VOA 19 Jul 2016 -- Turkey escalated its purge Tuesday of teachers and civil servants suspected of involvement in last week's failed coup, firing more than 26,000 people, while sending dossiers to Washington alleging an exiled Islamic cleric was behind the putsch.
- Turkey suspends over 15,000 education staff over coup plot Press TV 19 Jul 2016 -- Turkey's Ministry of National Education says it has dismissed more than 15,000 of its employees from their jobs over their alleged involvement in last week's attempted military coup against the government of President Recep Tayyip Erdogan.
- Erdogan vows to build barracks in controversial site in Istanbul Press TV 19 Jul 2016 -- Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan says he will revive controversial building plans for Istanbul, including setting up barracks in a sensitive site in the city.
- Erdogan 'to approve revival of death penalty in case of parliament ratification' Press TV 19 Jul 2016 -- Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan says he would approve the revival of the death penalty if the parliament opts to reintroduce the measure.
- Turkey Says It Has Sent 'Dossiers' To U.S. For Gulen Extradition RFE/RL 19 Jul 2016 -- Turkey's prime minister says Ankara has sent dossiers to the United States for the extradition of a U.S.-based cleric, Fethullah Gulen, over his alleged links to the July 15 failed coup attempt.
- Azerbaijani TV Station Closed Over 'Interview' With U.S.-Based Turkish Cleric Accused By Ankara In Coup RFE/RL 19 Jul 2016 -- A private Azerbaijani television station has been taken off the air and accused of damaging Baku's "strategic" links with Turkey after announcing it would broadcast an interview with U.S.-based cleric Fethullah Gulen.
- Four Turkish Navy Warships in the Black Sea, Not in Russian Ports - Source Sputnik 19 Jul 2016 -- At least four Turkish Navy warships are in the Black Sea, two of them on Romanian territory, a military and diplomatic source told RIA Novosti on Tuesday.
- Some 257 Staffers of Turkish PM Office Ousted After Coup Attempt Sputnik 19 Jul 2016 -- Turkey's government has ousted 257 staffers from the Prime Minister's office in the wake of the failed military coup attempt, Hurriyet reports.
- Turkish President Compares Military Coup Attempt to Terrorist Attack Sputnik 19 Jul 2016 -- Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan on Tuesday compared the recent military coup attempt in the country to a terrorist attack and servicemen involved in it to terrorists.
- UN human rights chief urges Turkey to uphold rule of law in response to attempted coup UN News 19 Jul 2016 -- The United Nations human rights chief today called on Turkish authorities to respond to the attempted military coup on Friday by reinforcing the protection of human rights and strengthening democratic institutions and checks and balances.
- US Congress after creating discomfort about Iran ties: Zarif IRNA 19 Jul 2016 -- The US Congress by adopting anti-Iranian measures, is trying to create discomfort among those countries that want to engage with Iran following the implementation of the JCPOA, Says Iran's foreign minister.
- Araqchi: Iran seeks explanations from US on regulating banking ties IRNA 19 Jul 2016 -- Chief negotiator of the Iranian delegation Abbas Araqchi said on Tuesday that Iran sought explanations from the US on regulating banking ties with Iran.
- Removing obstacles to JCPOA implementation agenda of Iran-G5+1 commission IRNA 19 Jul 2016 -- Deputy Foreign Minister Abbas Araqchi said on Tuesday that trmoval of the obstacles on the way of implementation of the nuclear deal – known as JCPOA – is the agenda of the joint commission session underway in the Austrian capital.
- Iran decries challenge made by French UN envoy to defence capability IRNA 19 Jul 2016 -- Foreign Ministry spokesman Bahram Qassemi said on Tuesday that the allegations made by French envoy to the UN Francois Delattre about Iranian defense capability are clear instance of conscious hostility toward Iran.
- US welcomes Iran's swift implementation of nuclear deal IRNA 19 Jul 2016 -- US Permanent Representative to the United Nations (UN) Samantha Power said her country acknowledges and welcomes Iran's swift implementation of July 14 historic deal.
- Iran rejects French envoy's biased remarks Press TV 19 Jul 2016 -- Iran has lashed out at the French ambassador to the UN for making "consciously biased" remarks about Tehran's role in the Middle East, saying such fabricated claims aim to cover up Paris widespread interference in Syria's internal affairs.
- Iran defense prowess untouched by psychological warfare: Dehqan Press TV 19 Jul 2016 -- Iranian Defense Minister Brigadier General Hossein Dehqan says the Islamic Republic is resolved to further boost its defense capability and deterrent power regardless of psychological warfare by the enemies.
- Ban report based on incomplete info: Iran Press TV 19 Jul 2016 -- Iran says a report by the United Nations Secretary General Ban Ki-moon on the implementation of a nuclear deal with the country is "based on incomplete information."
- Islamic State, Nice, And The European Jihadism That Is Here To Stay RFE/RL 19 Jul 2016 -- Brussels, Paris (twice), and now Nice: Four crippling jihadist attacks in just over 18 months. The extremist group Islamic State's fastidious sadism has arrived in Europe, and it looks like our problems are only just beginning.
- New, Low-tech Terror Tactics Simple and Deadly VOA 19 Jul 2016 -- For years, al-Qaida and the Islamic State have been urging followers in Western nations to carry out attacks with whatever weapons come to hand, suggesting items as simple as a knife, a car or a fist.
- France Expected to Extend State of Emergency Rule VOA 19 Jul 2016 -- Following last week's truck attack in Nice, France's National Assembly is expected to extend the state of emergency governed by a rule that gives police greater search-and-arrest powers, without advance clearance from judges.
- Bangladesh Offering Almost $13,000 to Militants who Return to Normal Life Sputnik 19 Jul 2016 -- Bangladeshi forces on Monday announced a financial reward for any militant who chooses to return to normal life and provide information about other terrorists.
- Top Moscow Investigators Detained Over Alleged Organized Crime Ties RFE/RL 19 Jul 2016 -- Russia's main domestic security agency has opened a criminal probe into officials with the country's top investigative body over allegations that they received bribes from a crime syndicate and committed other official misconduct.
- India to Build Nearly 40 Strategic Roads Along Chinese Border by 2020 Sputnik 19 Jul 2016 -- India seems to be in no mood to lag behind China in the development of roads along the countries' mutual border.
- UN rights office urges Bahrain to review dissolution of opposition party UN News 19 Jul 2016 -- The United Nations human rights office today expressed deep regret over a Bahraini court decision to dissolve Al Wefaq, the country's largest opposition group, and urged the country's authorities to review the latest and other bans on organizations that were peacefully exercising their rights.
- Manama's dissolution of al-Wefaq is deplorable: UN Press TV 19 Jul 2016 -- The dissolution of Bahrain's main Shia opposition group, the al-Wefaq National Islamic Society, is a deplorable move on behalf of Manama, says UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon.
- Bahrain clerics attend protest in support of Sheikh Qassim Press TV 19 Jul 2016 -- Clerics in Bahrain have attended a protest in support of the country's top Shia cleric Ayatollah Sheikh Isa Qassim as the Manama regime intensifies the crackdown on members of the religious community.
- Tense Hostage Standoff Continues At Yerevan Police Station RFE/RL 19 Jul 2016 -- Armed members of a radical opposition group continue to hold four police officers hostage in the Armenian capital two days after they seized a police station, killing one officer.
- Tunisia's president extends nationwide state of emergency Press TV 19 Jul 2016 -- Tunisia's president has extended for two months a nationwide state of emergency following a deadly bomb attack in November 2015.
- Kepler Space Telescope Discovers 104 Exoplanets VOA 19 Jul 2016 -- Astronomers say they have discovered 104 exoplanets, two of which could support life.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|